What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Landraces . Will we ever smoke what we once had? If no is there a Way back?

Rastafarout

Premium user
Not spam , you can use a cmh light for landrace strains .. If you want to "smoke what we once had" .. It's not hard too hard to find people that have kept them going ...

Dr.Young

K+ vibes
Veteran
You ever try to hunt down any south african ancient ganja? Would be awesome to find some genetics not yet introduced to the internet world... I'm sure it wouldnt be hard to find people that never get online but have some real old family heirlooms... Always wanted a good highland s.african...durban...or something with the unique terpenes that stands out in a crowd of skunkified mess.

*Edit wow ive seen you have some awesome posts on the area!!!

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
You ever try to hunt down any south african ancient ganja? Would be awesome to find some genetics not yet introduced to the internet world... I'm sure it wouldnt be hard to find people that never get online but have some real old family heirlooms... Always wanted a good highland s.african...durban...or something with the unique terpenes that stands out in a crowd of skunkified mess.

when i first came online and before joining overgrow i was in touch with a girl in south africa ,
she was a cutie too ,

she sent a bunch of seed ,, weed and hash to me , this was just before and after 911 , so all she sent made it to my country unhindered ,
the seed grew some great weed ,, i particularly liked the swazi , great head high , energetic buzz ,, excellent in a joint , i dont find a lot of weed performs well in joints to be honest , though im not a big joint smoker ...

the durban was particularly resinous with some very earthy and anise aromas , but i preferred the swazi ,,
i think she sent some transeki too , but i dont recall growing it ..

the hash was nice ,, especially the swazi charis ,
had to dab it due to the stickyness , it was like road tar sticky and a similar color ,, very potent ....

a buddy i knew at overgrow later went and visited the girl,
he reckons she had the good gear ,, and multiple kilos of it ,
she was growing a big ducksfoot plant out the front of her place he said , i supplied a bunch of seed ,
i noted someone recently posted a ducksfoot plant they got from seed from africa ,, id say that came from the seed i sent eons back ..

Rastafarout

Premium user

Yeah I do actually hunt the sativa landrace , I was a rural solar/ lights and phone installer , back in the early 90's for rural empowerment schemes ....needless to say I was welcomed with open arms into some of the most dangerous locations , and really isolated tribal lands where they had big fields those days

Rastafarout

Premium user
Hey Donald , I think most people in South Africa preferred the Swazi .. Till it got so contaminated it's basically unrecognisable ,but it was also about where you lived dictating what you smoked
Can you remember the town of the chick you posted those seeds too?
Cheers

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Hey Donald , I think most people in South Africa preferred the Swazi .. Till it got so contaminated it's basically unrecognisable ,but it was also about where you lived dictating what you smoked
Can you remember the town of the chick you posted those seeds too?
Cheers
sad when things folks appreciate dont exist any longer,
in the seed we grow we did get the odd plant with much fatter buds that looked like they had seen some indica ,
i guess since those days the fatter types have become the staple..

it was so long ago i cant remember where the girl was man ,
if we could find some of the guys that used to be on the boards one of them would remember ,
but i havent seen those guys for a long long time either ..

we are all getting old it seems ...

romanoweed

I found some interesting Anektote from Seeds of Africa Site:

"Along our journeys we meet Bredren and Sistren that have been farming for a longtime. What shines out from among all the farmers we meet is that they have taught themselves about cross breeding and Ganja Genetics.
These teachings come from local ‘general’ farming knowledge about pollenation, the unique climate of each region and trial and error. "

link: https://seedsofafricastore.com/product/ini-selection

It is the Description for an interbreed Line ( outcrossed it means i guess) they offer.
Intresting also on an African Strainhunters Episode, i guess it was Malawi, (or Swaziland) they also asked the Growers out how they breed, Select if any. Sometimes, or mostoften it sounded like they did very minimal Selection, sometimes plant 3 Seeds very Close ant survival of the fittest...
But one time they seemed to try telling something more complex, wich i couldnt understand whether of my not perfect english or cause of their nonnative English.

So it seems in Africa there are atlest some People wich still know what to doo. They mentioned the Elders.. So it seems still to this day some they give further some remaining Knowledge. If someone can get to this knowledge please share it. Africa is not to hard when it Comes to Cannabislaws, so if we search remaining Knowledge it might be found best there. Africa has strong Cultural Bound too, so knowledge should be found.

If someone would ask seeds of Africa seedstore, if they know more exact what they teach in his mentioned "local General farming" - Knowledge, then i would be thankful. Is someone from them on icmag?

Last edited:

Rastafarout

Premium user
sad when things folks appreciate dont exist any longer,
in the seed we grow we did get the odd plant with much fatter buds that looked like they had seen some indica ,
i guess since those days the fatter types have become the staple..

it was so long ago i cant remember where the girl was man ,
if we could find some of the guys that used to be on the boards one of them would remember ,
but i havent seen those guys for a long long time either ..

we are all getting old it seems ...

Yeah man time flies, the chick just sounds very familiar , there's still a few pure thin leaves pockets about , but the legalisation is a double edge sword and even those will be gone very soon

Rastafarout

Premium user
I found some interesting Anektote from Seeds of Africa Site:

"Along our journeys we meet Bredren and Sistren that have been farming for a longtime. What shines out from among all the farmers we meet is that they have taught themselves about cross breeding and Ganja Genetics.
These teachings come from local ‘general’ farming knowledge about pollenation, the unique climate of each region and trial and error. "

link: https://seedsofafricastore.com/product/ini-selection

It is the Description for an interbreed Line ( outcrossed it means i guess) they offer.
Intresting also on an African Strainhunters Episode, i guess it was Malawi, (or Swaziland) they also asked the Growers out how they breed, Select if any. Sometimes, or mostoften it sounded like they did very minimal Selection, sometimes plant 3 Seeds very Close ant survival of the fittest...
But one time they seemed to try telling something more complex, wich i couldnt understand whether of my not perfect english or cause of their nonnative English.

So it seems in Africa there are atlest some People wich still know what to doo. They mentioned the Elders.. So it seems still to this day some they give further some remaining Knowledge. If someone can get to this knowledge please share it. Africa is not to hard when it Comes to Cannabislaws, so if we search remaining Knowledge it might be found best there. Africa has strong Cultural Bound too, so knowledge should be found.

If someone would ask seeds of Africa seedstore, if they know more exact what they teach in his mentioned "local General farming" - Knowledge, then i would be thankful. Is someone from them on icmag?
I looked at that link ....the thing about port St. John's is that it's the major tourist hippy trail of South Africa ... The number one smoke town ...when was The company formed ?

where lots of old smokers ended up with such stunning nature and care free living ..the isolation, off grid and easy cops if you didn't get too clever , but also that it's been a major tribal grow area for centuries

So this town and surrounding areas are the worst places to collect "landrace" it's been compromised decades ago,
with all the hybrid seed that was brought in by travellers

Also you have the police choppers started spraying the fields in 1995. Killing the fields and obviously seeds there in

This means more imported seed from Swaziland Lesotho and more recently green house seeds , so any pre 90's "port St. John strain " is very dubious

Most of the growers are substinance farmers, so knew very little about selections back then(pre 90's)
With Rastas havin the sinsemilla first

Mostly selecting for speed and health ,
information tech is changing that , so I would say most " bredren and sistren" are/have learnt this sinsimella trick recently

Yield is the only knowledge followed here now, so hybrids will win

Africa still has some hectic laws on cannabis , Google Zambia for instance ...

romanoweed

beta
When you say, Landraces are to narrow in Genetic, how does Outcrossing influence the Result? Can you explnate that? Do preexisting Traits rise, do they get muddy. Tell me the pros and Cons.

Rastafarout

Premium user
Not sure what you mean iether .. But once the landrace gets crossed in situ .. The bug,pest and mould resistance , that was built up over time is lost
Traits depends which strains you cross with

beta

Veteran
beta
When you say, Landraces are to narrow in Genetic, how does Outcrossing influence the Result? Can you explnate that? Do preexisting Traits rise, do they get muddy. Tell me the pros and Cons.

Hybridization bulks up pre-existing traits and even creates brand new traits. The less related the parent plants are, the more hybrid effects you'll see.

romanoweed

Beta,
do you think Landraces arent just made trough selective inbreeding, and therefore just pushing Traits , right? Acording, do you think, Hybridisation did create Landraces to a substencial Part?

Interested in that Claim of Creating Traits, can you Show me an example where something appeared? Please Show some photo before and after , where this creation happend. Doesent matter if its hard to spot, every idea is really welcome, doesent matter subtileness, or picquali..

Last edited:

romanoweed

an interesting Quote from Mustafunk i found on a South Indian Thread:

RSC are importing local landraces that were never selectively bred. There's no wild Cannabis, feral or naturalized maybe but always escaped from human fields (like US ditchweed or some North Indian/Nepalese/Kush semi-wild plants).

What characterizes landraces is the fact they are the result of minimal human selection (normally only poor plants are removed from the fields or seeds from the best females are saved for the next season) together with heavy influence by a very certain enviroment that they become adapted to through a natural evolution process. Thus they have great genetic diversity and adaptability.

That's what diferenciates them from the traditional heirlooms, which are cultivars that have been more subjected to human selection and without any attachment to a certain region like landraces. Smaller genetic diversity as well as they have been inbred, passed and preserved for generations.

Anyway South Indian weed is for sure one of the finest ganja in the world, back in the days the indians were very specialized in cultivating Cannabis (check the Indian Hemp Comission Report). They invented sinsemilla techniques so you can imagine how he loved to smoke those flowers! Pioneers of ganja growing for sure.

This are some pics from Kerala RSC from my friend Roms@Collective Vibes:

View Image

View Image

Harvested at around 18-20 weeks.

View Image

View Image

And another one from George (from RSC forum at uk 420):
View Image

Peace.