What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

" Land Of A Thousand Colas !!! Multi room PPK 26K "

Miraculous Meds

So if youve been following for awhile by now u probably have noticed i cant stay to long on one thing. unless its really really really solid an bulletproof.

so been messing with teas an trying a slightly different approach to the ppk. a drain to waste soil based ppk.

since i dont have a nutrient analyzer on hand, yet. i figured why not try this approach. a drain to waste ppk. as every time a nutrient flushes thru the medium something is absorbed, an whats not absorbed is left behind. instead of having whats left behind constantly build & circulate, then cause issues/antagonisms , remove it after some use. Now every feed is fresh an " Full ", not striped, and or not in excess of any certain nutrient or nutrients.

still keeping the tailpiece in the lower bucket but with only like 5 inches of water till the float avtivates an drops the water level a little.

the topoff container is full strength.
autotop off still into the working rez.
tea brewer hi air environment, feed from there to the plants.
drips down an back to the yellow bucket which is independently sealed from the main rez.
in the yellow bucket a float valve is set to drain about inch or 2 of the returned nute. always leaving 5-6 inches in the system for the tailpiece to use.

same amount of input. except removing it after one use. if it doesnt work. it will take a few minutes to set back to " normal PPK"

View Image

View Image

next step i will be taking the drain an holding it so it can be used in the veg rooms. again, it only has one run thru. there is plenty of nutrient to feed the less demanding vegging plants.

Sounds really cool amigo, hope it works out for ya. My only concerns would be nailing down the right gap between bottom of pot and water level in the lower bucket, and scare of pythium build up with organics in the sitting res. Maybe there will be enough movement with the cycles, and dtw, that it wont be a problem? Organics in res usually adds up to algae, cyanobacteria, fungus gnats, pythium, etc... for me. I never mastered it, but I hope you do, so I can copy your genius idea!:tiphat:

gmanwho

Veteran
Sounds really cool amigo, hope it works out for ya. My only concerns would be nailing down the right gap between bottom of pot and water level in the lower bucket, and scare of pythium build up with organics in the sitting res. Maybe there will be enough movement with the cycles, and dtw, that it wont be a problem? Organics in res usually adds up to algae, cyanobacteria, fungus gnats, pythium, etc... for me. I never mastered it, but I hope you do, so I can copy your genius idea!:tiphat:

hey MM. i hope it works better too. while i dont think they will outperform the turface/perlite standard mix as far as yield. the changes seem to be far more fragrant. i shouldve tested the brix levels on the leaves in the last run. i have not gotten very high brix levels prior, which also helped me steer this way.

definitely can be a slippery slope. this is also one of 3 systems ive changed. they all have variations. shit if u can grow in a swamp i can do this.

the first modded soil system produced some of the most aromatic grape hash plant i can remember. she was pretty white too. an i know she could have been pushed harder. that run i depended on the amendments more, and or didnt want to get to hot of a nute in circulation ,if the amendments kept up. but they didnt an i feed lower. an next run im increasing my circulating nutes and doing a different cal an mag approach.

that run i also needed higher amounts of perlite to aid with drainage in that system. did not like how long it took to drain the buckets, and also this led me to feed less. due to me seeing no dry down in between feeds.

the 2 changes after the first room, i increased the grow stones an perlite. an lowered the water level in the lower bucket. i have another room with recent changes day 25 of flower an im pretty happy. better drainage equall more feeds.

if i can recirculate more, there is less build up in run off. i already see this build up in the other systems off the return, an these arent drain to waste.so i guess better drainage to allow more recirculating.

the standard ppks im feeding 4 hrs veg, then ever 2hrs hard veg early flower, then every hour day 10 flower till later. one room been trying feeds/recirculate every 2 hrs 24/7. an they are happy, but that is my best room.

as for the soil amended ppk rooms, or top drip no tailpiece, it seems every 4 hrs with lights on. or every 6 lights on till roots are established. my goal is to get these soil amended with more feeds.

thanks for stopping in.... bsafe

gmanwho

Veteran
Just want to say physan20 is actually corrosive. It will slowly eat holes in your Mini Split
and then the r410 will leak out.

the coil cleaner is even more corrosive. shit will remove layers of outer skin.

the physan is sprayed mostly on the actual fan drum. im sure some got on the coil. i have since started using a spray foam no rinse for the final spraying, made for HVAC coils an fans etc. it has a bunch of neutralizers an antibacterial shit in it. the bad part of that is now i cant use the condensate run off due to whatever the residual cleaner may be in the run off....

SuperWeed

the coil cleaner is even more corrosive. shit will remove layers of outer skin.

the physan is sprayed mostly on the actual fan drum. im sure some got on the coil. i have since started using a spray foam no rinse for the final spraying, made for HVAC coils anou fans etc. it has a bunch of neutralizers an antibacterial shit in it. the bad part of that is now i cant use the condensate run off due to whatever the residual cleaner may be in the run off....

If I remember right, Physan 20 is used by orchid growers at 1 ppm in their fertigation to prevent algae. So it's relatively safe and I think that's a good use for it.

You could go with bleach in tapwater, about one teaspoon per 40 gallons. But I'd like to think that Physan would be less damaging to the parts than bleach as it tends to oxidize metals fast.

gmanwho

Veteran
If I remember right, Physan 20 is used by orchid growers at 1 ppm in their fertigation to prevent algae. So it's relatively safe and I think that's a good use for it.

You could go with bleach in tapwater, about one teaspoon per 40 gallons. But I'd like to think that Physan would be less damaging to the parts than bleach as it tends to oxidize metals fast.

hey superweed, as for the ingredients in physan im not so sure how safe they are.

ALKYL DIMETHYL BENZYL AMMONIUM CHLORIDES C12-C18

https://www.physan.com/uploads/4/7/1/3/47130233/physan20_msds.pdf

i try to collect my condensate an not really sure how physan will effect the condensate runoff , then if used for BB brewing in the rez. ( then again who knows what bacteria is brewing in the condensate) when physan is designed to keep algae bacteria or fungi from forming. dont think in the future i will be collecting condensate runoffs of previously sprayed units

on another note built an air lift conical tank tea brewer. very happy with the way it came out. 35 gal tank with 80lpm linear pump. absolutely no dead spots in the brewer. easy to clean. no airstones that can clog. Ro plumbed into tank, can fill tank in a few minutes. an when i want tea i place a bucket underneath an open the valve. Started a worm farm too, left of the photo, green squares stacked ontop of mini fridge

Tank cap keeps foam in. she swirls like the mother of all toilet flushes.....

picture.php

picture.php

gmanwho

Veteran
cherryburst #5 day 50

cherryburst #5 day 50

Few posts back u showed one of my converted ppk systems turned drain to waste. Half coco half perlite. Vegbloom, tons of added teas, ewc bag bubbling in rez. Getting feed 10 seconds every 2 hrs lights on. I use about 50gallons every 5 or so days. 12 3.5 gal buckets. great run. Some of my chunkiest in awhile. An to think this room still has 15 days to go.

Will show more in 2 weeks.

I took this bud off for an early taste test an photo op, to be clear, there are nicer colas. The colas that received the mix spectrum from the 300w plasma an de hps set to 750 are noticably higher covered. in fact they look like some photos of dosido ive seen. Best way i can descriped those mix spec colas is knotted cotton

not shown yet, my #8 cut makes this #5 look like a midget . nice coverage on the #8 , but as of now this #5 smells like starburst, cherry orange an lemon all mixed together

Heres my relentless cheeryburst #5 cut. There are 4 cherry burst cuts in this room right now day 50

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

gmanwho

Veteran
Will have updates also with hammerskush, ethos mandarin cookie my #1 cut, and the nor cal mendo breath

The mendo breathe cut is very very impressive. Thanks to those who passed it my way. Reach out when your ready to try something new, or need something back

Earlmarne

I think I am going to try some mods to my ppks to go a more organic direction as you have.
I really wanted to steer away from dtw but it seems the most reasonable approach to using teas and such

gmanwho

Veteran
I think I am going to try some mods to my ppks to go a more organic direction as you have.
I really wanted to steer away from dtw but it seems the most reasonable approach to using teas and such

hey earl.. so i didnt do dtw because of the organic and or bacteria/fungi tea approach. i went dtw because im trying to understand what the plant is consuming, but more so what its NOT CONSUMING from my input solution. And as it changes throughout the life cycle.So in a recirculating system what is not consumed builds in concentration. alot of unknowns there. then when minerals concentrate, they can cause antagonisms.

this dtw system gives me 3 test points. my input solution, my working rez solution, then my return from plant solution. the most interesting to me lately was watching the nutrient run off return solution. gave me a new prospective on the plants uptake. then to simultaneously monitor leaf quality

there where a bunch of small but important changes done to the other ppk system. the rez becoming the tea brewer. the feed lines graded so they all will drain after a watering. an then the water height in the lower bucket was dropped to like 5-6 inches from BOTTOM of the bucket. leaving only about 3 inches of tail piece submerged.

Make that rez super aerated, weekly bags of ewc, other beneficial's added. then correct water timing to the buckets. Do that an i highly doubt any stagnant bacteria or fungi will cause harm. that water in the lower bucket has to make its way back to the reservoir. when the stagnate water returns to the highly aerated reservoir any of the anaerobic bacteria will die off, an possibly become food. Food for other organisms in the "eco system". keep up on the beneficial bacteria army in the rez an all will be well. The rest should fall into place.

my other system is based off what i explained above. i currently have 6 separate ppk systems

Last edited:

star crash

We Will Get By ... We Will Survive
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Will have updates also with hammerskush, ethos mandarin cookie my #1 cut, and the nor cal mendo breath

The mendo breathe cut is very very impressive. Thanks to those who pasesed it my way. Reach out when your ready to try something new, or need something back

dying for pics sir!:dance013:

gmanwho

Veteran
dying for pics sir!:dance013:

they are waiting. i am waiting. i dont like trying to take photos when the plant is still in the system/trellis. even when shutting down all the fans its still hard to get focused pictures. buds bouncing, my unstable arm. reaching in to take a photo in not so perfect light, lack of blue/white light that bothers me when taking photos. just not the same.

around day 48 i got a good spike of food in the return solution. prior the input was riding 1200ppm for a solid 2 weeks, the return was staying 1400 ppm around 5.7-5.8, very little tip burn an not progressing, leafs where not excessively green, pistols popping.

day 48ish return solution spiked to 1900ppm, they stopped eating something. :chin: so i backed the input to 900ppm. within 3 days i lost alot of green on the major fans.

part of me said ....foliar some mag sulphate ,cal an some meta-k. part of me said shit its getting to late to foliar your colas..... your gonna be smoking them in 4 weeks.

lost some leaf color...

backed down the mineral ferts to 800, then added 200ppm of roots organics HPK guano to the working rez. ride it for a few days. the hpk will dilute over a few days.

think i vegged a little longer then i should of,think things got a little to close to the lights this round anyways. back the lights down to 600 an ride the last 10+ days.

swelling, falling over, some nice hues. few stems snapped under their own weight.

i will say the Cherryburst have a massive structure to hold her weight. theres some colas under the mixed light spectrum that look like cotton or cotton packing

star crash

We Will Get By ... We Will Survive
ICMag Donor
Veteran
in my minds eye i see you in a white lab coat swirling flask's around:biggrin: and charting equations ...

gmanwho

Veteran
Maybe im just a little crazy.....little bit.

so far the best run of the year is about to come down. few more days of low ppm then darkness. they are loosing leaf hard. which is good atp. nothing worse then preping for a flush and finish, then the plants dont consume the leafs....

DunHav`nFun

Maybe im just a little crazy.....little bit.

so far the best run of the year is about to come down. few more days of low ppm then darkness. they are loosing leaf hard. which is good atp. nothing worse then preping for a flush and finish, then the plants dont consume the leafs....
It`s all about knowin what to do and when to do it bro as you know…..I always lowered my ppms with RO top offs till the plants started fading and cannibalizing themselves , but once I started strippin leaves till they stopped poppin out I then realized the nitrogen was leached out and the nugs started turning the fall colors as well.....

Takes a lil while to dial each strain/hybrids needs to make em shine.....anyways...…

You da man Gbro…..Keep strokin......and....

Peace.....DHF.....:ying:

gmanwho

Veteran
Been awhile. times flying. might be time for some updates. Ive been a busy busy boy. Rooms have been worked an reworked. Currently working about 1000sqft of canopy spread over 5 flower rooms. about 175k btu of cooling. as always multiple setbacks but it all leads up to the next stage.

30de's set to 600-750w, 16 315 cmh's hung vert in between the de's in 2 rooms,an a few diy leds scattered. every room has co2. every room has evaporating humidifiers, one room i just installed an aprilaire steam generator an a hydro-x pro controller, so far i really dig the hydro-x pro, but i will say, i still want more configuration out of it.

all rooms are amended tupur coco dtw, 2 gal bucket lid net pots in a 3.5 gal bucket. bottom of bucket is lined with a 5 gal paint strainer an filled with 1 gal of large perlite. then bucket lid placed ontop. all higher pressure feed pumps now an floraflex drippers. i currently have a bunch of netafim drippers. i have found the florflex start to fail over time.

knowing that a move is now possible i want close out this chapter here an the thread. upload alot of photos of things ive ran since i stopped updating some 2 years ago. miss updating but shit ... i dont stop. been burnt out a few times an questioned it all but days later found myself right back into again. and as ray from tpb says, it's the way she goes...