What's new

Lacto Bacilli: process and discussion

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
eh wait a few more days, usually the yogurt like substance floats to the top for easy removal. but sometimes it doesnt, cant say why honestly. looks pretty close to done. id say wait 1 more day 2 tops. then go to the next step. your almost there!

neongreen

Veteran
The yogurt was mostly floating till I moved it. It was bubbles of gas keeping it up there before, but a little shake and they all rose to the surface, allowing the yogurt to sink.

One or two more days should be perfect timing. More rain on the way, so that should help to wash the LB deep into the soil, and keep the conditions moist so it can multiply some more. Does that logic make sense?

I'm also thinking it might be a good idea to water the soil with molasses a couple of days later, which should feed the LB (and everything else). By that time the EM-A should be close to done!

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
hey kaneh i know someone who cultures sourkraut for the lactic acid bacteria. cant remember how they used it on there grow ill have to ask them next time i see them. but i know they had decent results, cant say it improved the grow overall but it helped keep healthy plants up to the end.
Jaykush

My experiments with using a number of sources of lactobacillus has proven to be quite a bit of fun. I haven't used sourkraut (yet) but all of the other fermented products (including Korean kimchee) have shown the ability to create fermented cultures with ease.

I have several links on this subject but unfortunately they're on another cannabis board and I don't know what the rules on this board with regard to linking to them. Having said that, a couple of posters on this specific thread have really done their homework and their results are interesting and worthy of further experimentation.

The fermented bamboo shoots that I used actually caused the plastic bottle I was using to make the BIM literally exploded - big time. Too much too quickly I'm thinking.

Interesting process indeed.

CC

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
Add unpasteurized miso to the list of lactobacillus inoculants that will make your fermenting bottle explode rather quickly. Maybe less is really best on some of these agents, eh? LOL

CC

D.I.trY

seems like a good idea to me to apply mollases neongreen. It will get other things going as well as the LB, like u say. One thing i have noticed since applying a fair amount of mollasses to my garden is that soon after i noticed ants (just possible they were already there though). They became a serious problem for one apple tree in particular, and my runner beans. They were "farming" green aphids on the apple and black ones on the runner beans. They harvest the sweet secretions from the aphids as the aphids suck the precious enrgy out of my plants. i mixed up a concoction of sugar and borax last night and im hoping the ants take the bait.

I almost have a large bucket of kitchen food scraps full and its fermenting away beautifully. I really want to get that organic matter into the soil to really get the LBs going and everything else. I am fully expecting to have the best soil ive ever had in my garden. for anyone in the uk tesco are doing a great deal on a twin pair of bokashi buckets. once the bran it comes with runs out you can do the homemade culture and ferment and dry newspaper or woodchip or there must be some other good ideas.

I was reading another forum but i would have to study my browser history to pull it up, which i cant be bothered to, but there is this indonesian farmer who has written a little booklet on culturing indigenous microorganisms but all links to it are now dead. One of his methods mentionned in the forum however is to use innoculants like the most healthy soil in your area - like a nearby forest, and the soil from under the healthiest tree!. now that is forward thinking! I think he may have been placing his starters in these places, or taking that soil home and adding it to the rice starter? Really interesting stuff and if anyone's interested ill try to find out more.

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
coot, welcome to the list of people who have had bottles explode on them, me literally. i thought i mentioned..... DO NOT SEAL BOTTLES OF MICRO ORGANISMS! or you can also possibly add yourself to the list haha.

dirty you are probly thinking of gil carandang, and the culture your thinking is beneficial indigenous micro organisms. or BIM for short.

neongreen

Veteran
seems like a good idea to me to apply mollases neongreen. It will get other things going as well as the LB, like u say. One thing i have noticed since applying a fair amount of mollasses to my garden is that soon after i noticed ants (just possible they were already there though). They became a serious problem for one apple tree in particular, and my runner beans. They were "farming" green aphids on the apple and black ones on the runner beans. They harvest the sweet secretions from the aphids as the aphids suck the precious enrgy out of my plants. i mixed up a concoction of sugar and borax last night and im hoping the ants take the bait.

I think I'll add some rock dust too. That should minimize the ant interest! There are some fermented plant extracts I noticed that are supposed to be good against ants, so I'm not going to worry about them too much!

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
My first application of a BIM which included neem seed meal in an attempt to (hopefully) find a fix for spider mites was applied to another medical grower's garden which is heavily infested with mites this afternoon.

I'll post the results in a couple of days. "We'll see" as the expression goes.

surfer rosa

Clackamas Coot
Do you mind going into a little more detail on the process you used to culture this stuff? I'm especially interested in how you used kimchee and miso. Maybe you can pm me some of the links on the net where I can read up on this stuff?:respect:

D.I.trY

well i was talking about ant and aphid problems earlier - and look what i have found! a tasty recipe that has me salivating already, haha. taken from http://idigmygarden.com/forums/showthread.php?p=298392 post 56

(not so trivial) EM Trivia

Red Cross sprays EM on bodies from Tsunami casualties before mass burial to prevent odors and spread of disease.

EM used for mold remediation/cleanup after Katrina in New Orleans.

EM approved for diaster recovery in US by FEMA.

Gram positive Microorganisms (EM) found in salt water increase after natural disasters resulting in decrease of pathogenic bacteria. [Izzy wonders if this is connected in some way to red tide/brown tide we often get that causes a massive fish kill?]

Terra Preta works hand-in-hand with EM-Bokashi by storing nutrients in soil, preventing leaching away.

Purification of industrial wastewater using photosynthetic bacterial formula produces by-products used as food for animals and fish. Treated fish and birds grew/layed eggs at a significantly greater rate than controls. By-product of purified wastewater also dried and used as natural fertilizer. Production showed an increase in number of fruit per tree plus heavier, sweeter fruit.

AND:

formula for one gallon of EM5 (1:1:1:1:20):
1. 3/4C EM
2. 3/4C Molasses
3. 3/4C Vinegar (white or apple cider)
4. 3/4C distilled alcohol (vodka, whiskey, tequila)
5. Dissolve molasses in 2 litres of hot water
6. Add 1 litre cold water
7. Add all other ingredients.
8. Add additional plant material*
9. Fill the gallon container with warm water (110-120ºF)
10. Seal and ferment until pH goes below 3.7, approximately 1 week
*People often mix in hot peppers and/or garlic for added benefits.

EM5 is used to deter pests. This is an all-natural concoction that can be made by anyone and is in no way harmful to humans or animals. It combines water, EM, a distilled spirit, molasses and vinegar. The most successful programs with EM5 involve alternating its applications with EM and/or EM Fermented Plant Extract (EMFPE). EM5 is effective for reducing pest populations because EM5 contains esters formed by mixing acetic acid and alcohol, which provokes intestinal intoxication. Since it is a version of EM, EM5 also works on the basis of competitive exclusion.
I suppose we can just substitue EM for the homemade LB serum. those fucking ants and aphids are gonna get it!

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
aphids and ants eh? use nettle tea. aphids will be gone and no ants to harvest them soon after.

SilverSurfer_OG

Living Organic Soil...
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nettle tea. Awesome.

I used LB to get rid of real bad stink from my fishtank. Dont use fish emulsion to try and feed aquatic plants... :bashhead:

Took about 5 days and smells fresh as a daisy now. Sweet. :D

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
it also gets rid of the smell of urine. it was an accidental discovery when catpiss smell was cleaned up with lacto b. turns out theres a product out there for ridding cat piss smells, guess what bacteria is in it. lacto b.....

neongreen

Veteran
well i was talking about ant and aphid problems earlier - and look what i have found! a tasty recipe that has me salivating already, haha. taken from http://idigmygarden.com/forums/showthread.php?p=298392 post 56

I have all the stuff here to make EM-5 now. The only problem I see is this:

2. Add vinegar and EM-1 and allow to ferment at 32-34°C until there is no more gas

http://www.emshop.co.nz/fermentation-production/how-to-make-em-5

Thats going to mean setting up a water bath. Luckily, I think I have a small aquarium heater around here somewhere!

As for the LB, I sprayed the plants and soil with it yesterday...

I also neglected to dilute it properly. I used 2 tbs neat culture in 3/4 of a gallon of water. The recommended amount of molasses seemed a little much at the time, so I went with what I normally use for CT brewing (1-2 tsp) luckily lol.

If I'm not mistaken, that's 20x the recommended dose. I guess my plants/soil are well and truly inoculated now!

Kaneh

OK...

My first LB-farm hasbeen in milk only a day and it allready looks like it's done!
There's thick (2 cm) layer of whitestuff on top of liquid. Smells like feta cheese!
I have 2 liters of organic milk in very wide plastic container.
They probably grow faster in organic, or maybe wide container is good for microbes. (Or both.)

I allready took little of it to put in my smelly nettle-tea. I smell it again tomorrow to see if it worked.

It seems there's tons of different ways of making LB.
There's also lots of different types on LB.
Does anybody know if you can produce different type of LB with different methods, or does it always come from air, meaning you always have the same type of LB from your local environment?

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
kaneh, sometimes the milk seperates quite fast, but when looking in a microscope you can see the brew is not to full potential. i usually wait 2 days after i see it seperate and there is a nice yellow liquid.

the nettle brew, give it a few days, its not instant, they have to multiply like crazy at first

S

spiral

Hello everyone. So ive been using LB for awhile now, and I just love this stuff. So many uses. Lately been wondering something. I see alot of people using EM, from what Ive read this stuffs amazing. So did some reaserch on the microbes in it, and basically there all pretty common.
Em america lists three strains of lact b, which we should have covered with the stuff were makin here.
Saccharomyces cerevisiae - basically, wine/ bread yeast
Rhodopseudomonas palustris - photosynthetic bacteria, which can been gotten from soil
Bacillus subtilis - commnly found in soils also.
So, say we gathered up some good soils, and made some BIMs, brewed up the yeast, and added them to the Lacto B.
Do you think this would work as "ghetto" EM.
I'd buy the stuff but seriously the shipping costs more than the bottle.

Also since Ive been using LB my 3/8" dowel rod stakes have been rotting out pretty much completely below the soil line, usually by week six. Never had this happen before when using just compost teas. Water with LB once a week 2-4 TBS./ gal.

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
good stuff spiral, have you been foliar spraying it in veg and early flower? cool shit with the dowel rods.

S

spiral

I foliar spray with FPEs and use LB to ferment them, so Im guessing its in there.
Stinging nettles, and pea plants in veg.
Alfalfa sprouts, and fermented kelp meal the first two weeks of flower.
Works like a charm.

Latest posts

Latest posts