What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Lacto Bacilli: process and discussion

MrFista

Veteran
I think it was Deuley who taught me the compost on top trick. Of course, I'm talking about my soil, that has lawn over it, at least preserving some of the life in it.

I've seen some soils, hundreds of miles, so compacted, and a salt table beneath them. Mind bogglingly difficult bio-remediation. Wonder what can be grafted to mangroves. And what percentage of sea salts Osiris and his pals are able to use. Do lacto b help to break down the salts in our foods? I know there are some microbials that dissemble salts in dilute amounts.

You are correct.. some soils need to be tore up to allow aeration and water in first.

If someone sprayed the australian desert/any desert with compost tea and fixed it, I'd eat my hat, and be quite happy about the meal.

ThePhantomToker

I did the rice wash and came up with a good cloudy liquid. Also found out my rice cooker works better with washed rice. I do a lot of canning and have plenty of lid rings, so I covered the jar with a coffee filter and screwed a ring on. That should let plenty of air pass with no bugs. I hope that turns out te be a good call.

Peace TPT

V

vonforne

JK, Great job as usual. I think B1 or Suby needs to make this a Sticky.

V-man

Suby

**AWD** Aficianado
Veteran
Hey Von,

I agree, I'm thinking we need a sticky for organic articles exclusively.
Some mods are wondering how many sticky are going to make it up there...
I think a thread like that would cleans things up.
I've been following from the start and this weekends seems like a good time to try this out.

:cool:

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey V hehe thanks, gotta love some simple experimentation. always a surprise along the way. who knew this stuff could rid the smell of cat piss haha.

suby. its bout time! love this stuff as a foliar. its sooooooo cheap to make. i can make like 5 gallons of final liquid for under a 1$ no actually under 50 cents but id have to say this stuff kicks ass as along with the quick return compost activator. i add one drop to the pint with nettles, yarrow, oak bark, dandelion, and Valerian.

Dee9

Have some lactocuccus lactis and others in pill form ( for the ol'intestines!) and was wondering how to use them in my soil.

Mix with water and molasses and let them grow for a bit before using?

Also in the medicine cabinet - aspergillus oryzae - would this work during flowering? Would I use molasses with it initially?

ThePhantomToker

Well now, I've been reading ridiculous amounts of info on EM and the lot and I'm feeling like I need to do some anaerobic fermentation of organics. I've switched over to a soiless Terra Preta mix in dutch buckets. I'm getting real promising growth rates and the plants are healthy and green. My thinking is that by fermenting organics with lacto bacilli and Saccharomyces cerevisiae( baker's yeast) prior to application will boost humic levels as well as making the nutrient instantly available to the plants. The fermented organics would also carry the inoculates as well.The following things are on my list to ferment:

Atlantic salmon
chicken manure
alfalfa sprouts
EWC

I would also like to isolate Rhodobacter sphaeroides. If anyone know a diy method for this let me know please. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Peace TPT

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Have some lactocuccus lactis and others in pill form ( for the ol'intestines!) and was wondering how to use them in my soil.

Mix with water and molasses and let them grow for a bit before using?

Also in the medicine cabinet - aspergillus oryzae - would this work during flowering? Would I use molasses with it initially?

not too sure that will work dee9, stick to the instructions in the thread, they are true and tried and we know it works, one thing about the culture method is you are collecting local species which are better suited for your environment. your moving into uncharted territory so if you fuck up your plants, don't blame us.

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well now, I've been reading ridiculous amounts of info on EM and the lot and I'm feeling like I need to do some anaerobic fermentation of organics. I've switched over to a soiless Terra Preta mix in dutch buckets. I'm getting real promising growth rates and the plants are healthy and green. My thinking is that by fermenting organics with lacto bacilli and Saccharomyces cerevisiae( baker's yeast) prior to application will boost humic levels as well as making the nutrient instantly available to the plants. The fermented organics would also carry the inoculates as well.The following things are on my list to ferment:

Atlantic salmon
chicken manure
alfalfa sprouts
EWC

I would also like to isolate Rhodobacter sphaeroides. If anyone know a diy method for this let me know please. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Peace TPT

id watch out for the chicken manure, it can be pretty hot, and if you ferment it, you could really be making some nasties OR make it super concentrated and burn your plants. when fermenting things with lacto b. i like to stick to plant material. its a lot safer than manure.

Dee9

Thanks for the reply Jaykush -

I am tickled pink to see if it works, though -

I am migrating my grow from soil to coco coir and I have already mixed some lactococcus into the coir for my next few clone transplants (not all my plants!) and I am very excited to see the results.

The local EM rep told me lactococcus lactis, -casei, -helveticus, and bifidobacterium bifidum should work with coir - but now I am not using his product - on the money saving train and using what I have - you know, the word falling into a financial depression and all.

If it works and I finish the capsules, I will probably brew myself some lovely bacto tea!
Nothing beats home-made...

Grow well!

ThePhantomToker

jaykush _ Thanks for the heads up. I got my own chickens and will be using fresh dried manure. I've concidered the potintial for a real hot fert with this and will be diluting heavy at first say 1/4 teaspoon to a gallon at first.

Also the lacto bacilli culture finished up with no problems I have about 1 pint in the fridge. More over, the chickens go ape shit over the milk solids, I plan on inoculating a portion of their feed as well.

Peace TPT

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
thats cool, where i just moved we have chickens here. all new stuff to me( manure that is) are you sure you don't want to let it age a little bit before using it? manure isnt really my area maybe someone else knows.

good to know they go ape shit over the solids, im going to be making some fresh here asap. will be feeding it to them.

marali

Manures should be composted, fresh or aged ones. Don't use manures for teas and stuff. It's not safe at all!

Much better way of using that chicken shit would be composting it*. If it's fresh even better**. Use that compost for teas and mixes! That is going to be some good shit i tell you.

*Fresh or aged manures should always be composted with at least three times vegetative matter (leaves, scraps etc.)
**Aged manures loose most of their values. And when those things evaporate or leach into the ground, it's not good for the air your are breathing and for ground water.

Bottom line, fresh manures should be properly composted right away.

edit:
you can get great compost with that chicken shit in no time! Compost it with 3 part of vegetative matter and you are on! I would use more dried, cuz chicken shit is hot as hell and will take care of that dried materials very fast imo. How many chickens do you have? I'm sure you have enough plant material to stick to the 1/3 ratio.

Last edited:

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
yea of course i would never use fresh manure on anything. ever..... i know that at least.

its just ive relied on and actually prefer all plant matter compost because of the microbe diversity with all the different plant materials. but now since i can mess with it why the hell not. will start a separate pile for chicken crap.

i have about 20 chickens, havent counted but id say thats a good guess. lots of leaves and hay to mix it with too.

this isnt really lacto b conversation though.

Dee9

Probiotic Capsules

Probiotic Capsules

sledge_hammer said:
I am also curious if one could use a probiotic like THIS

I used a similar product in coco, and as of yet, I can see no adverse effects, in the contrary, I think the plants look extremely healthy.

jaykush said:
not too sure that will work dee9, ... your moving into uncharted territory so if you fuck up your plants, don't blame us.

Havent been using it too long though so I would not be able to say anything on the long - term effect of a manufactured probiotic product.

But so far, so good...
:dance:

raygun

Nice thread Jay thanks for the clear directions!
I am just finishing a batch at about 4 days after adding the milk. I will be using this in my recirculating coco grow mainly but also live on septic so down the drain and in my veggie and herb garden outside and a little in the fish tank as well.
I am looking forwards to the outcome.

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
if you have a compost pile it works great, adding even more diversity to it.

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
jaykush

It's interesting that in the baking world, wild yeasts are used to create what most people refer to as 'sourdough' and the method to grow these yeasts and bacteria (lacto) is often grains. Specifically rye seeds which are ground up and allowed to ferment for a couple of days and then a 5-day process to shift the microbes over to unbleached white flours (specifically winter wheat for it's protein content).

IOW there is no milk used in the process.

Grape skins (organic) are also used as well as potatoes (primarily with the Polish bakers of long ago).

CC

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
sounds like the rejuvelac, i used to make it quite often when i had supplies, mainly for the amino acids and enzymes. but im sure there was loads of bacteria. possibly lacto. because grains were fermented like you say for only a few days.

btw i love baking bread, nothing like some fresh bread out of the oven, some cannabutter and a nice relaxing day.