What's new

L.A D.A. says ALL Dispensaries Illegal & ALL Will be Prosecuted

PharmaCan

Veteran
Damned drug warriors just don't want to give up.

Los Angeles County District Attorney Steve Cooley said today that all the medical marijuana dispensaries in the county are operating illegally, and that "they are going to be prosecuted."

There are hundreds of dispensaries throughout the county, including as many as 800 in the city of Los Angeles, according to the city attorney's office. They operate under a 1996 voter initiative that allowed marijuana to be used for medicinal purposes, and a subsequent state law that provided for collective cultivation.

Based on a state Supreme Court decision last year, Cooley and City Attorney Carmen Trutanich have concluded that over-the-counter sales are illegal. Most if not all of the dispensaries in the state operate on that basis.

Cooley said his office had already begun preparing to prosecute a Culver City dispensary called Organica.

Widespread criminal prosecutions could deal a sharp blow to the medical marijuana movement in California, where advocates have argued that access to the drug has helped many cancer patients and others manage pain, nausea and other health issues.

Cooley and Trutanich announced their plans after a training session for narcotics officers at the Montebello Country Club. Outside about 100 medical marijuana advocates protested, saying that not allowing over-the-counter sales threatens the distribution of a product that many sick people have come to rely on.

Barry Kramer, operator of the California Patient Alliance, a dispensary on Melrose Avenue, said, "If this is the way it goes, we'll go underground again. There will be a lot more crime."

The Los Angeles Times

PC

B

Blue Dot

Barry Kramer, operator of the California Patient Alliance, a dispensary on Melrose Avenue, said, "If this is the way it goes, we'll go underground again. There will be a lot more crime."

Or

OR

maybe we'll just have collectives, the way prop 215 intended.

I love how the "dispensary coalition" warns of more crime when they are threatened just like the cities and counties warn of more crime.

Both sides make it sound like there is no alternative, when the obvious one is true collectives the way the law intended.

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I suspesct that riots are gonna break out in california again soon. probably not just because of this, but the tension is building in the state right now, and when tension grows in cali there seems to be riots. This is just one more thing to make everyone angrier. In the process of all the b.s. many patients will suffer. I also suspect, California will not convict the despensaries because there is no room in prison anymore for these people.

Omerta

they will convict them dont kid yourself. about time they curb this ridiculousness that that jerkoff richard lee helped create

S

Sir_Nugget

Man , i was a regular at organica, i hated their prices, I loved the ass that worked there, I hope all those ladies r safe,, dam fine ladies

Hey, this is alot better than whats going on in fucking rhode island.. over there, u have 3 government appointed ispensaries that r suposedly nonprofits, wtf is that? gvmnt appointed business? what is that? any politician wanna step in an d tell us what the ehck that is?

this wont affect richard lee, because richard lee runs out of oakland... this is going to affect los angeles big time, and all the street dealers going to be singing HUR -FUCKIN-RAY all the way to the bank

I wouldnt be surprised if some MJ kingpin had enuff cash to sway some people in office to mold the law into what it is now

I hope ths doesnt happen within the next week as i need to stock up on a few cuts

FreedomFGHTR

Veteran
My bet is the city goes bankrupt paying lawsuits for all the weed its going to steal.

LA is home to expensive pot.

B

Blue Dot

My bet is the city goes bankrupt paying lawsuits for all the weed its going to steal.

LA is home to expensive pot.

Oh please.

Dispensaries are about as legal as the law they would use as their basis for a lawsuit.

fatigues

Veteran
It's the Nuclear Option, no doubt of that.

Cooley is not up for re-election until 2012. By then, events will have either superceded him (a ballot initiative passes) or if it fails, he'll say this is not what the people wanted (pointing to the polls and the failure of legalization) and that he was upholding both the law and popular opinion the whole time.

And of course, it is possible that the courts may end up coming to the rescue of the dispensaries in some form, too.

Either way, he probably thinks he is either safe - or after 12 years (by then) that he'll have had enough with being the D.A. for L.A..

zenoonez

Veteran
Oh please.

Dispensaries are about as legal as the law they would use as their basis for a lawsuit.

A collective can operate a dispensary legally as I read the law. But they have to be closed membership operations which I don't think any of the dispensaries really are. Where ya been blue dot? Missed arguing with you on every thread in ever forum of the website. <~~ Hyperbole.

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
LOL, the DA is gonna get his ass handed to him by the AG, and if needed, SAFE and MPP will get involved and sue the county for not following state laws. If there is more to this, like none of the dispensaries had paperwork, then that's another matter. But it sounds like some dipshit DA got his panties in a bunch and wants to start his own crusade. He's only outnumbered by about 30 million voters.

B

Blue Dot

A collective can operate a dispensary legally as I read the law. But they have to be closed membership operations which I don't think any of the dispensaries really are. Where ya been blue dot? Missed arguing with you on every thread in ever forum of the website. <~~ Hyperbole.

That's just it. I believe there is a basis in the law but like you said no way all 600-800 dispensaries, or even a majority of them are operating that way so I'm not sure why everyone thinks they they have a leg to stand on.

It like the three little pigs. The dispensaries built their house on sand and straw and the big bad wolf has come a huffin and puffin. (That's a Green Jello reference (anyone?).

EDC6Q66WPNRJD6U665OZVHQV5GDCWHOI.jpg

B

Blue Dot

LOL, the DA is gonna get his ass handed to him by the AG, and if needed, SAFE and MPP will get involved and sue the county for not following state laws.

Like Bonnie Dumanis got her ass handed to her?

Oh wait, that never happened.

NorCalFor20

Smokes, lets go
Veteran
here's blue dot, and his wave of righteousness. here it comes...

Face it LA DA, your going to get hit with so many lawsuits from dispensaries and patients its not even funny, if you want war, we'll file lawsuits till their pockets hurt, then vote everyone involved out of office, just like whats going to happen to bonnie dumbass and her crew.... just wait your days as district attorney are numbered, you'll be out of a job soon. of course none of that matters im sure since this is just a last ditch effort before full legalization happens....

oh and blue dot, bonnie might as well consider her career over this will defiantly be her last term in any official office in the state of california. maybe you can run for office and fuck things up some more

B

Blue Dot

oh and blue dot, bonnie might as well consider her career over this will defiantly be her last term in any official office in the state of california. maybe you can run for office and fuck things up some more

Bonnie will either be re-elected or promoted to a federal position.

Either way, she will win and you'll lose.

Don't shoot me, I'm just the messenger.

Remember:

RK-028-The%20Food%20Chain.jpg

VagPuncher

Balls Deep!!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hilarious.

Most dispensaries are owned by profit hungry business men posing as freedom fighters.

SOME of these guys are worse for 'the cause' than we think.

Gangs will always run drugs. The question is whether we want illegal criminals or legal criminals doing it.

zenoonez

Veteran
There is nothing fucking wrong with guys operating things for profit. Yes it goes against the letter of the law as it stands now but there is nothing wrong with it. Capitalists are the ones producing the bomb genetics we are getting. Capitalists with huge gardens whose existence is made possible by their making profit on other products.

As far as the Blue Dot argument goes, the problem is that the DA said that ALL of the dispensaries are operating illegally. If I had a legitimate coop/collective I would sue the SHIT out of the county and I mean face it, if you have a collective of any size behind you, they will foot the legal bills for years just to screw the DA.

VagPuncher

Balls Deep!!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
There is nothing fucking wrong with guys operating things for profit. Yes it goes against the letter of the law as it stands now but there is nothing wrong with it. Capitalists are the ones producing the bomb genetics we are getting. Capitalists with huge gardens whose existence is made possible by their making profit on other products.

Capitalists aren't the ones producing 'bomb genetics'. Breeders are.

Capitalists just like gangs grow it and push it. One comes with a nice smile, white teeth, rehearsed discourse and sits behind a desk. The others don't.

One is in a store and one is on the street.

Take off your rose colored glasses.

blinx420

In this crappy economy people should be growing anyway why pay for something that grows for free(for the most part)