What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Krunchbubble Plays With LED's...

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Still watching over here on the fence... ;)

Thanks for the update, KB. The quality certainly looks tops. :respect:

dank.Frank

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
Just took over this 10,000 watt HID room the other day. If the stars align right and I have a little luck on my side, this room will have 32 320 watt fixtures from what Alex recommended....

Have to fix so many things with the place, the former grower was the most laziest guy ever. Have to fix leak in the roof, install a ceiling, kill mold, redo all the hvac, install a mini split and hopefully 32 Starlite LED fixtures......

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
Have to fix so many things with the place. Have to fix leak in the roof, install a ceiling, kill mold, redo all the hvac, install a mini split and hopefully 32 Starlite LED fixtures......

Sounds more like an episode of This Old House.

When you done there I have some leaky pipes
in my basement, lol

Good luck with the potential space, seems like
lots of frenzied activity in your future.

How soon till the first harvest anyway.

Do you like greenhouses, I have a guy in WA
that may need your skills. Uses HID as supplement
though, about 100K W for several units.

Great thread

URSA LED

Vendor
z4jLKvS.jpg

tleaf jr.

Came up off 75w
Veteran
Aftering seeing this journal i would day they would be perfect for veg but the yeild still needs to be bumped up a1 quality however, great show krunch

Sforza

Veteran
Pssssst, I just DOUBLED the lights output to my plants compared to a 1000w Double End, and I have zero heat....

Zero heat? I don't understand that. Are these flip chips 100% efficient, using all the power from the mean well drivers to create light and not producing any heat at all? If there is no heat produced by the flip chip, why are they mounted on massive passive heat sinks?

In the diagram showing the advantage of the 3 pad flip chip, it shows that the chip is better at getting the heat out of the led and into the heat sink, not that the chips do not produce any heat.

How do these flip chips compare in efficiency with Cree CXB3590 COBs?

krunchbubble

Veteran
Any report on the final yield?

Quality looks AAA!

Still drying! I just trim the fan leaves and let everything dry over a couple week period. Its been humid in the Bay Area last few days and has prolonged the drying time. I trimmed 5 oz before the humidity took over, I like to trim when the small leaves are crispy....

Aftering seeing this journal i would day they would be perfect for veg but the yeild still needs to be bumped up a1 quality however, great show krunch

:tiphat:

Zero heat? I don't understand that. Are these flip chips 100% efficient, using all the power from the mean well drivers to create light and not producing any heat at all? If there is no heat produced by the flip chip, why are they mounted on massive passive heat sinks?

In the diagram showing the advantage of the 3 pad flip chip, it shows that the chip is better at getting the heat out of the led and into the heat sink, not that the chips do not produce any heat.

How do these flip chips compare in efficiency with Cree CXB3590 COBs?

Ya, zero heat is a bit zealous. At the time of that post, it was really cold here. The lights caused zero change in nominal temp, in the tent when they were on...

I would estimate each 320 watt is in the 250-750 btu range...

MID TOWN

Pulling up a chair a little late in the game.

Killer test man! Cant wait to see the final numbers. Quality looks on point!

krunchbubble

Veteran
Final Numbers -

Tops - 632 Grams
Larf - 110 Grams = 742 grams total, 1.65 lbs

My assessment is that these numbers DONT represent what these lights CAN do...

I FUCKED UP THIS TENT GROW. I thought the low temp were pretty cool and didnt focus on the fact that the grow should of been a lot warmer and who cares about the wow factor of low heat....

The tent ran from 60F to the highest of 76F. The tent should of been ran in the 70F - 85F range for optimal growth...

Buds shots and assessment later, its some SUPER AAA...

growmau5

I think the quality looks pretty damn good to me.

after 28 pages of reading and following this thread, I had higher hopes for a final "take away" post that details the grow and results a little more, so I didnt have to go back and dig thru all the posts to find out.
-strain
-dissipation watts
-when the 4th light was added
-etc.

but I know people get busy and it is what it is.

Clearly the yield was very underwhelming for any lighting setup, HPS or otherwise. Have you grown this Exotic C&C before. because my experience with it is a dramatic difference in yield between phenos. I just finished a CCP run that has cookies and cream in it, some phenos put out 139g dry weight per plant, while other phenos: 175g per plant dry weight.

If it were my grow, i would be looking at:
-is this a proven pheno for yield
-was temperature really to blame that much
-is Dynagrow really that effective of a nutrient line
-was airflow and co2 adequate in the tent

I hope you take my comments as constructive. I have very high hopes for the innovations that Starlight and Flipchip are bringing to the market place. I applaud your efforts and thank you for documenting it and bringing us an unbiased look at this exciting new product. We can all learn from your experiences. cheers.

Dawn Patrol

Well this is some bullshit right here.....
Veteran
Hey growmau5, great to see you posting here!

-was temperature really to blame that much

Huge question I had as well. I just finished a 90 day run of Sour Hazy Jones under 8 CXB3070 COBs and for a first indoor grow was quite pleased with the results, however the entire time I kept my cab temps between 60-70F.

I based my thinking on the vapor pressure chart and where I could realistically keep RH since I don't have room for a humidifier and a dehumidifier.

Is there really any scientific reason to run room temps warmer with LEDs?

Homebrewer

Veteran
Huge question I had as well. I just finished a 90 day run of Sour Hazy Jones under 8 CXB3070 COBs and for a first indoor grow was quite pleased with the results, however the entire time I kept my cab temps between 60-70F.

I based my thinking on the vapor pressure chart and where I could realistically keep RH since I don't have room for a humidifier and a dehumidifier.

Is there really any scientific reason to run room temps warmer with LEDs?

You want temps warm enough (75-80F) with any kind of lighting to cause your plants to transpire. Plants that transpire at a healthy rate will have increased demands on waterings/feedings as compared to a cooler room.

You'll get more vigorous growth above and below your medium when temps are in the proper range and that will subsequently increase production.