What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Kozmo's World

Kozmo

Veteran
What a night. Mixed up about 3/4 of a cubic foot of soil mix and made another batch of nutriant tea. As far as the tea goes, I am bubbling it for foliar purposes. So followed MM's instructions above for that. Brewed one gal. with 1/2 cup of alfalfa, 1/2 tablespoon of kelpmeal, and a teaspoon of blackstrap molasses. Brew for 24hrs and foliar four times.

Question: how long can I brew before it goes bad?

Still debating a clone attempt. I definetly have everything I need.

Here is the late veg early flower mix.

Soil mix:
.25 cubic foot of peat
.25 cubic foot of local organic soil
.25 cubic foot rice hulls, perlite, vermiculite(in order of most to least)
.10 hydroton

1/2 cup soft rock phosphate, 1/3 cup basalt(from BuildASoil)
3/4 cups greensand
3/4 cups of Azomite
3/4 cups Gypsum
3/4 cups oyster shell

3/4 cups dried Russian comfrey(from Horizon Herbs)
3/4 cup Alfalfa meal
3/4 cup Kelp meal
3/4 cup neem karanja meal
3/4 cup crab meal
1/2 cup Fish bone meal

Last edited:

Team Microbe

Veteran
Lookin better and better each time I stop over here man, way to hit the ground running with organic soil!

Last edited:

Team Microbe

Veteran
What a night. Mixed up about 3/4 of a cubic foot of soil mix and made another batch of nutriant tea. As far as the tea goes, I am bubbling it for foliar purposes. So followed MM's instructions above for that. Brewed one gal. with 1/2 cup of alfalfa, 1/2 tablespoon of kelpmeal, and a teaspoon of blackstrap molasses. Brew for 24hrs and foliar four times.

Question: how long can I brew before it goes bad?

Still debating a clone attempt. I definetly have everything I need.

Soil mix:
.25 cubic foot of peat
.25 cubic foot of local organic soil
.25 cubic foot rice hulls, perlite, vermiculite, hydroton(in order of most to least)

1/2 cup soft rock phosphate, 1/3 cup
3/4 cups greensand
3/4 cups of Azomite
3/4 cups Gypsum
3/4 cups oyster shell

3/4 cup Alfalfa meal
3/4 cup Kelp meal
3/4 cup neem karanja meal
3/4 cup crab meal
1/2 cup Fish bone meal

Excellent resource for compost tea brewing! I use this recipe as well, it can go for 30-36 hours before it goes bad. What happens is the food stocks are consumed after a while by the microorganisms, and this depletes the oxygen levels in the tea and it'll begin to turn anaerobic. Earlier is better than later, I usually cut mine at about 30 hrs. If you're foliar spraying with it be sure to strain it well (nothing under 400 macron) so it doesn't clog the sprayer nozzle. This will fix the N deficiency in a week or less, foliar sprays act faster than drenching in the sense of feeding. Nice regimen man :tiphat:

Is this soil mix listed for your mature plants or your clones? It looks a little hot to me... (Clones require less nutrients than seedlings)

.75 cubic feet comes out to be a little under 6 gallons of soil. If this is how much you're adding these measurements to you're going to fry those babies my man! Where are you getting your recipes from?

EDIT: toss the greensand, unless you're going long term with no-till. It takes 2 years to break down and become available, this is why The Rev gets called out for his attempt at a TLO soil recipe. Kelp contains all 28 minerals that plants need, so even if you were no-tilling in beds or something long term the green sand would be useless if you're using kelp at the same time.

Kozmo

Veteran
Excellent resource for compost tea brewing! I use this recipe as well, it can go for 30-36 hours before it goes bad. What happens is the food stocks are consumed after a while by the microorganisms, and this depletes the oxygen levels in the tea and it'll begin to turn anaerobic. Earlier is better than later, I usually cut mine at about 30 hrs. If you're foliar spraying with it be sure to strain it well (nothing under 400 macron) so it doesn't clog the sprayer nozzle. This will fix the N deficiency in a week or less, foliar sprays act faster than drenching in the sense of feeding. Nice regimen man :tiphat:

Is this soil mix listed for your mature plants or your clones? It looks a little hot to me... (Clones require less nutrients than seedlings)

.75 cubic feet comes out to be a little under 6 gallons of soil. If this is how much you're adding these measurements to you're going to fry those babies my man! Where are you getting your recipes from?

EDIT: toss the greensand, unless you're going long term with no-till. It takes 2 years to break down and become available, this is why The Rev gets called out for his attempt at a TLO soil recipe. Kelp contains all 28 minerals that plants need, so even if you were no-tilling in beds or something long term the green sand would be useless if you're using kelp at the same time.

Hi TM, I edited my post since last you read it. I can see why it would have led you to believe it was for clones. My Bad. Fixed it though and it is a late veg to flower mix.

Since were on the subject though what would you say is a healthy mix for clones?

As far as the greensand, I read about what your saying. This is not no till intentioned but I will be recycling the soil so maybe not a waste after all. It''ll add texture for our microbe population till then I suppose. No real harm in adding it from what I read.

Do you think it is to hot anyways? I believe I might have added a tad bit to much Fish Bone Meal. Otherwise please share.

This was mainly brought to life from my friend Big Bozat. I thought it wise to have someone go over it and CT guy put in his $ .02. Big Bo used the information below which I provided him on my local organic soil. Much appreciate them guys for there time as well as I appreciate your time TM!

Nutrient:, percentage:, lbs/acre@4tons/acre

Organic matter, 18.8%, 1504
Total nitrogen, .75%, 60
Phosphorous (P205), .27%, 21.6
Potassium (k20), .41%, 32.8
Calcium, 2.5%, 200
Sulfur, .015%, 1.19
Magnesium, 1.05, 84
Zinc, .0046%, .37
Manganese, .0015%, 1.18
Boron, .0015%, .12

C/N ratio, 15.2

Ingredients: Leaves, woody material, vermicompost rock and sea minerals.

Thats all the info i could get from my local organic soil producer and I haven't tested the soil myself although I intend to.

One of the things Bo and I discussed was the low nitrogen content. This was also for longer running plants(like the Karma A13 Haze X Biker Kush I have in possession). Anoth thing we noticed is the amounts don't accumulate to 100%, hence the desire for a personal testing of the soil.

Last edited:

Team Microbe

Veteran
Well for example my mix is 1/2 cup per cubic foot (7.5 gallons) for most amendments asides from oyster shell, while yours is 3/4 cup per 5.5 gallons. Not a huge difference now that I spell it out actually, but it is almost twice as much as the mix I've had the most success with. You should consider cutting it down a little bit by adding more soil without amendments in it to the entire batch, just my 2 cents

Team Microbe

Veteran
My seedling base mix is 1 part peat - 1 part rice hulls - 1 part EWC

and to this I'll add:

Oyster Flour for Liming and Calcium at 1 Cup per cubic foot

Gypsum for Calcium and Sulfur at 1 Cup per cubic foot

Acadian Organic Kelp Meal added at 1/2 Cup per cubic foot

Crustacean Meal added at 1/2 Cup per cubic foot

Kozmo

Veteran
PCK transplant

PCK transplant

Transplanted the PCK today. Going to veg her for at least two more weeks under the LED she will be flowering under. Manufacturer recommends 12" gap from plant top to light. I'm giving her 24"'s the fist day, 18" the next, and then 12". Still maintaining the twenty four hour light cycle obviously.

Roots: one side was favored mor then the other which I thought was interesting. The bottom was full up though. Remember the layer of hydroton. The roots enveloped them. You wouldn't even know they were there unless you previously knew.

I sprinkled a couple tablespoons of mycro's in my predeveloped whole(thanks TM for the idea) as well as on the roots. Plopped that baby in and she was snug as a bug. I toped it all off with a half a cup of EWC and laid down some straw. I also started a AACT. I didn't use my freebie pack. I used my KIS ingreadiants(no alfalfa). The root pot was moist and perfect for getting out of her old home and the cavity was misted before sprinkling in the Myco's so I believe the 24 or so hour wait to be watered at transplant will be fine.

Ill be giving my opinion on the HydroGro SOL series with 50 watt chips in there very own posts in this thread. I believe my opinion won't be as biased as someone who has gotten an LED for free from a company as a tester. After all my hard earned money was spent on these and the value of those dollars is a tool of judgement.

I also will be giving Holy Rhodi's an update of there own(looking good).

Last edited:

Kozmo

Veteran
Holy Rhodi

Holy Rhodi

I've been having to airate the alfalfa/kelp foliar almost daily. It's been bringing that color to a more desirable shade of green. There's a couple spots but they should be fine.

I made a early veg soil mix with a cup per gal. Equvliancy ratio of alfalfa. I threw in some comfrey as well. Hopefully that will provide the next plant with enough nitrogen to at least get it to week four. If I am even doing this right it's probably twice as much as I need. Guess ill find out.

Kozmo

Veteran
I also would like to start giving a review/opinion of the HGL's. First off let me just say they are well advertised. If I would have discovered Oneshot or ICmag for that matter I would have gone with a more documented company. Frankly I have found the info around HGL to be hinting with the aroma of Bullshit. That being said with $1200 bucks burning in my pocket and being a complete newb I called them up and got two $650 dollar lights for $600. I thought that was Kool. I received my lights in the mail and all was well. Well packaged; everything in there own bags, separated, and firmly packed in styrafome. One thing bothered me though right away in the initial unpacking. As I unpacked the brand new lights two of the reflectors of the four had smudges on them. About the size of a thumb and about two inches long. I called the company and the lady said I would need to clean the smudges with a "high quality sunglasses cleaning cloth". Would have appreciated if I had received one of those with my purchase. After all these lights are advertised with there reflective lights being major contributors to the performance. Then I went to hook the light up. My particular one came with four fish eye threaded attachment points. When seated all the way they weren't uniform and I adjusted them to make my four point rigging attach properly.

I must say I will need some LED glasses though. Wow... The PCK seems to have taking a liking to the light and seems to be responding positively.

Last edited:

Former Guest

so you're foliar spraying your plants three times a day for how many days now?

I top mulched with alfalfa and some EWC then the issue stopped within a day or two. have you given her any of the tea in the soil?

I like how you reammended your soil to fix the issue. did you put in fresh comfrey or dried? I don't know what I'm gonna do with my comfrey besides use as mulch or FPE.

Kozmo

Veteran
I've been doing it three out of the past five days. I did a Neem PM foliar last night and will do a alfalfa tomorrow night.

Was afraid of burning these you ladies if I too dressed with alfalfa. What were your measurements of your mix(there in one gallon pots)? I used dried. It's winter here. Can I use it fresh? I suppose, why not hey? What's FPE?

I edited the post above to give more info on the LED's.

Former Guest

Fresh would be a slower release than the meal. I put 1 rounded teaspoon in 1&2 gallons and three gallons got 2. With top dressing you can scrape it off the top. Have you seen Crazy Composer's thread, Top Feeding and Why I Like It. He uses a medium with no amendments and just glacial rock dust. Then he just top dressed everything he used for amendments each week. You would burn it easier using teas than top dressing.

Now you should know better than to ask for acronyms :biglaugh: just kidding! Fermented plant extract. Couple ways to make it but it extracts hormones and some nutrition.

Kozmo

Veteran
You put one rounded tsp per gallon of EWC? That doesn't seem like much. I have alfalfa meal( just dried crunched up leaves really).

Funny you say that about easier to burn them with the tea. I think I did just that. After my foliar I noticed they needed to be watered. So I proceded to dump what was in my dorky bottle into the pots. I can see the burn(yellowing). If you wouldn't of said anything I might just keep on giving them foliar's. thinking the deficiancy came back. Damn! I had them almost back to a pretty green!

Former Guest

heres the thread https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=290150

secondly, once the leaves are yellow, they will not turn green again. there is no chlorophyll left in them to produce the green color. the plant is basically cannibalizing itself, feeding off itself kinda like how you lose weight by starving, your body will live off your fat stores.

foliar feeding is immediate and you're spraying your leaves 3 times a day where as most people spray once and see if that is the deficiency. it also works better if youre using synthetics as it is salt based and the reason it works better for foliar is osmosis/translocation. organics are a slow release and work using microbes to break it down so I think the benefit of spraying the leaves vs feeding the soil would show a better response. http://turfdiagnostics.net/forms/ARTICLE%201%20Know%20Your%20Nitrogen%20Source,%20Release%20and%20Leaching%20Properties.pdf not the best reference but it does a good job of explaining it.

for example: Epsom salts totally ok with most organic peeps but its a salt magnesium sulfate but it works great for foliar feeding.

Kozmo

Veteran
CrOokEd PCK showing it's extra growth

CrOokEd PCK showing it's extra growth

Trimmed some leaves off the PCK today. Found one that had extra leaves.

Former Guest

Fasciated_susan.jpg
ic

enhanced-buzz-6461-1364446455-11.jpg

fasciation. only know this because I had a Shasta daisy sorta like the one above. all sorts of weird stuff from multiple petals than what should be there all the way to that weird but oddly cool stuff above. you should put that in a big book and press it for several months. it will keep it's color. got my first harvest leaves :D

Kozmo

Veteran
How do you like my new humidifier? It comes with a internal humidistat!

Last edited:

Former Guest

how much water does it hold? mine has the humidistat but the small water container would be empty before the day was done. have you seen the diy foggers? you get a tote, add some water :D and then add a ultrasonic pond fogger or a fogger for making the Halloween haunted house type fog with dry ice but sans the ice. then you cut a 4 inch hole and add a computer fan. I think they hook it up to a humidistat you can get at home depot?

this is what I want to make. https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=277357

Latest posts

Latest posts