What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Knox County man sentenced to 19 years for growing marijuana

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
With all the legalization going on this seems ludicrous

http://www.wbir.com/story/news/loca...entenced-19-years-growing-marijuana/77039912/

(WBIR - KNOXVILLE) A Knox County man convicted of growing 522 marijuana plants was sentenced Wednesday to serve 19 years in prison.
Travis Joe Braunm, 33, received an enhanced sentence based on his prior criminal convictions including multiple felony convictions in Tennessee and North Carolina.
Braunm must also pay a $100,000 fine asses by the jury at trial.
In September, a jury found Braunm guilty of manufacturing marijuana, possession with intent to sell marijuana and possession with intent to deliver marijuana. Assistant District Attorneys said Braunm manufactured marijuana at two locations on the 1800 block of Thompson Road in west Knox County.
The Office of the District Attorney General said the case began in June 2010 with a report of domestic committed by Braunm against his ex-girlfriend.
A sergeant with the Knox County Sheriff's Office discovered Braunm had outstanding warrants for failing to appear in court to answer for previous charges.
The sergeant tracked down Braunm at a motel off Lovell Road, and took him into custody on the outstanding warrants.
Braunm had marijuana and $11,000 in cash with him at the motel.
The investigation uncovered that Braunm was keeping drugs, firearms, ammunition and cash at the two locations on the 1800 block of Thompson Road.
The sergeant obtained a search warrant on the two Thompson Road homes that was executed on June 10, 2010. At the scene, officers found 522 marijuana plants in an outdoor grow, grow cabinets used in the early stages of marijuana cultivation, $32,000 cash, multiple firearms, ammunition and other items of drug paraphernalia.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
So, we aren't growers but manufacturers? What the fuck kind of Legos do I need to manufacture cannabis? Wasting all this time on soil like a mook.

Language is king. Manufacturer. Delivery?

FFS

Manstien

Crazy people are still getting hung in the states for MMJ when a couple miles north people are buying out of depos...Was thinking yesterday all this legalization thing is just a distraction from the crumbling situation in Euorope....

m314

ICMag Donor
Veteran
It's sad that people's lives are still being ruined over this. Weed is good for you. It's a positive influence on life and society in general.

19 years prison time plus a 100k fine, that ruins this guys life. If he survives prison and works hard, he'll get out of debt when he's 80 maybe? For the crime of being a farmer and supplying his community with a plant that everyone wants.

St. Phatty

Drug War = Civil War = Jobs Creation Program

How many non-violent non-offenders have their lives ruined every day by the US and state govs - for possessing a drug that our grandparents would have been prescribed (derivatives of cocaine, opium and Cannabis, the 3 most widely prescribed medications in the US from 1776 to about 1936) ?

Of course, this war passes over those who can afford attorney fees with no problem.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The dude isn't totally innocent...

Domestic violence is absolutely a criminal action but acceptable in some places as long as there's no evil weed involved!

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
I did alot of fucked up shit till I fell into weed, does one's past really justify punishment for pot?

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
well he is gonna have to grow again to pay off that 100k......yeehaw...19 years of prison pay sure wont do it...

t99

Veteran
5-10 years from now, he'll probably be transferred to a work camp on a legal cannabis farm.

WelderDan

Veteran
Im sure it was a combination of things that got him 19 years.it wasnt just the weed

Yep. Multiple prior felonies, not to mention he was a felon in possession of firearms. Here, cultivation/manufacturing (with intent to sell) is up to 5 years. Up to 15 if you are within 1000 feet of a school or other drug free area. He probably got 5 years just for the felon in possession of a firearm. Hell, the weed was probably the lesser of all the charges he was convicted on.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
multiple felony convictions in multiple jurisdictions/different states. you'd think he might realize that "hey, maybe these assholes are watching me. maybe i oughta head west..." Knox County is hard on weed unless you play football at UT.

R

RSN

All:

this old boys issue is he was operating outside the circle. called palm greasing circle. He was dumb and it cost him.

I have live in East Tennessee (35 years plus) grew up in Kentucky. If you are going to do business like this then you have to buy a palm greasing license, whether it be for shine, bootleg liquor, girls, chickens, dogs, car stripping, or drugs. Watch Cocke / Hamblem and other county newspapers and how many elected officials get caught up in stings. Its a way of life that is breed into them.

In my eyes, its his own fault,

-
RSN