What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Knox County man sentenced to 19 years for growing marijuana

armedoldhippy

Veteran
All:

this old boys issue is he was operating outside the circle. called palm greasing circle. He was dumb and it cost him.

I have live in East Tennessee (35 years plus) grew up in Kentucky. If you are going to do business like this then you have to buy a palm greasing license, whether it be for shine, bootleg liquor, girls, chickens, dogs, car stripping, or drugs. Watch Cocke / Hamblem and other county newspapers and how many elected officials get caught up in stings. Its a way of life that is breed into them.

In my eyes, its his own fault,
RSN

at one time (it may still be true) Tennessee had more former sheriffs serving time than any other state in the nation. Cocke County had a LOT to do with that distinction...chop shops and shine capitol of the (so-called) civilized world. gotta pay to play, children.

Betterhaff

Veteran
I knew an ex-judge in North Carolina that made some of the best shine on the planet (actually schnapps).

Jhhnn

Veteran
Im sure it was a combination of things that got him 19 years.it wasnt just the weed

This. He convinced the authorities that he's a very, very slow learner, likely addled by booze, coke, meth, heroin or some combination of them all.

19 years is probably way more time than he needs to get straight & figure it out. Or not. Some people never figure it out.

R

RSN

Again one must understand that these southern counties are poor. Illegal things are a way to eke a basic living. whether it doing the illegal or looking the other way when illegal is done. Its life by the palm; either greasing or getting greased.

In the 80s, I use to visit a place in Crosby, Cocke County, Tennessee called "Fort Marx". It was run like a bar/restaurant but every thing in the bar was illegal booze. goggle it.

Twenty miles away in Del Rio large cocke fighting operation that went on for years was raided by Feds. Local state rep. refuses to sign bill to make it felon. greasing.

Just like big business.

Look at Clairborne County also for sheriffs. I think two in a row were jailed.

It is not just about cannabis but about a way of life.

It was said that Tennessee has a meth/crack issue. We are one of the biggest abuser of over-the-counter meds in the nation. One big outlet got busted near Pigeon Forge recently.

-
RSN

Jhhnn

Veteran
As an illegal grower you have to conduct yourself in a certain manner and he failed to do so.

For sure. You're a sitting duck if noticed, so don't get noticed. Don't be splashin' around & quacking up a storm.

Whenever I see stories like this, long ago personal experience tells me that these guys' brains are addled by substances other than cannabis. It's a disease often fatal to the afflicted. One of three things will happen- they'll get sobered up, locked up or covered up.

Call it a twist of fate or a miracle, I was somehow spared the worst of that nearly 30 years ago.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Again one must understand that these southern counties are poor. Illegal things are a way to eke a basic living. whether it doing the illegal or looking the other way when illegal is done. Its life by the palm; either greasing or getting greased.

In the 80s, I use to visit a place in Crosby, Cocke County, Tennessee called "Fort Marx". It was run like a bar/restaurant but every thing in the bar was illegal booze. goggle it.

Twenty miles away in Del Rio large cocke fighting operation that went on for years was raided by Feds. Local state rep. refuses to sign bill to make it felon. greasing.

Just like big business.

It was said that Tennessee has a meth/crack issue. We are one of the biggest abuser of over-the-counter meds in the nation. One big outlet got busted near Pigeon Forge recently.

-
RSN

they are still fighting chickens in Del Rio...and making shine, and cutting up cars, and catching timber rattlers & copperheads for the snake handlers (good money in that). we DO have one of the worst meth/pain pill addiction rates in the nation. and i don't ever expect any of that to change...

J.V

ICMag Donor

Just like big business.

-
RSN

So basically it's like you have to get the OK off Boss Hog or Big Daddy before engaging in any enterprise....legal or not.
Sounds like deliverance down that way boy...Yeeha

R

RSN

J.V -
No it is not Boss Hog nor deliverance mentality.
I will say this again these are poor counties and the people may be poor but they are not dumb and/or stupid. They know how too survive. These people are neighbors, school friends, cousins, go to the same churches, etc. Everybody just trying too survive by helping each other. Sometimes its illegal.

But the boy that this thread is about got what he deserved, period.
-
RSN

Cashew

Its a krazy world we live i they can give a guy 20 for growing some pot.But when some fool drinks and drives and kills someone he's out on the street the next week.

J.V

ICMag Donor
J.V -
No it is not Boss Hog nor deliverance mentality.
I will say this again these are poor counties and the people may be poor but they are not dumb and/or stupid. They know how too survive. These people are neighbors, school friends, cousins, go to the same churches, etc. Everybody just trying too survive by helping each other. Sometimes its illegal.

But the boy that this thread is about got what he deserved, period.
-
RSN

Sorry man .... I meant no disrespect. That's just my corny sense of humour.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Its a krazy world we live i they can give a guy 20 for growing some pot.But when some fool drinks and drives and kills someone he's out on the street the next week.

or like the "affluenza" rich kid from Texas that killed 4 people, got 10 years probation, & has now skipped the country with his mommy to keep from going to jail over parole violations...

Midnight Tokar

Veteran
or like the "affluenza" rich kid from Texas that killed 4 people, got 10 years probation, & has now skipped the country with his mommy to keep from going to jail over parole violations...

Yep, and how the hell does any judge not pull the Passport and/or install a GPS ankle bling?
$$$$$

Scrappy4

Veteran
I live in a medical state (MI) and its almost as bad here if you go outside what the medical law is. But a common thread in a lot of these stories is a pissed off spouse that rats out the grower. That happens everywhere, not just in the south. It's easy prey for lazy cops. They are litterily handed a case, and the spouse is the winner with no repercussions.

I think legalization without criminalization is the ultimate answer. If being legal just means there are other ways to arrest you for growing plants, that ain't too cool either. I can only imagine boss hog running a dispensary, lol, but scary.