What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Kit Kat's OG Kush Round 2, the Perpetual vScrog

Bmac1

Veteran
Are you weaving the plants through the screen as they grow or just tying the plants to it?

Kit Kat

Veg Setup

Veg Setup

Mornin' y'all!

@Alien, I've been following your thread for awhile now and appreciate you stopping in with the positivity!
@soursmellfoggy, thanks man! Learned my lesson on not keeping things clean - but I still gotta figure out how to clean a rumpled liner this time around.

@Bmac1, I've evolved through a few different grow styles and so far this one is tickling me the most - so damn easy to work with and infrastructure overhead and maintenance is next to nothing. Now that the blumats are in I don't expect I'll be in there very often at all. To answer your question, I'm using tomato clips as recommended by Ichabod Crane. They're really easy to use and give the plant some room to move and stretch if it needs to. One clip and snap it in place on the screen and the branch stays put! I highly recommend reading his thread, what I'm doing is basically a remix of that.

Alrighty, so an update.

I poked around in the flower room before hitting the gym today and damn, between the epsom salt and the blumats those ladies are taking off. All the new growth was nice and green and since I've been pinching fastest tops every day the rest is starting to explode out as well. Very pleased with how it's turning out in there.

Since this is a perpetual, the idea was to get some plants in there every 2-3 weeks or so, and supporting that requires some vegging, right? Here's the veg set up as it exists right now. I plan on building out part of the basement to handle this moving forward.

This is a Secret Jardin something or another, 2x4x5 I think being exhausted through a 6" Phresh filter, 400w CMH, and pulled by a 4" S&P TD-100. The scrubber/fan are so disparate in size because I didn't have anything smaller, and I mainly was just trying to slow down the exhaust rate so humidity would be more inclined to hang around.

The lasses on the right, these were just transplanted from tree pots to air pots two days ago and I'm not sure if I'm going to move them into the flower room on Tuesday to start a two week cycle, or the week after, we'll see. My concern is they won't stretch enough to fill a screen if they go in now.

A gaggle of lasses in their tall tree pots

This ultrasonic is making all of the difference in here. Humidity is up around 65% usually and they've never looked happier. I put this in about a week ago and noticed huge improvements, and once I added 1/2 tsp of epsom to my mix the plants started greening up and taking off big time. So nice when it all starts lining up...

And for comparison here's what they looked like two weeks ago.

genghis_bong

Wow. I'm thinking this wild-and-sideways scrog has gotta be the most efficient use of light. I am seriously reevaluating my table and horizontal lamp setup.

Quick question for ya. Do you have a preference in humidifiers? My ReptiFogger crapped out long ago, and I'm fighting to keep Satori alive.

Kit Kat

Wow. I'm thinking this wild-and-sideways scrog has gotta be the most efficient use of light. I am seriously reevaluating my table and horizontal lamp setup.

Quick question for ya. Do you have a preference in humidifiers? My ReptiFogger crapped out long ago, and I'm fighting to keep Satori alive.

Heya genghis_bong, thanks for droppin' in. I had the same thought you did when I started cruising through the vert forums and seeing some of the stuff people here are doing totally sold me. First time I went vert I still broke my personal gpw record while making some pretty major yield-destroying mistakes and those results sold me.

I don't have a humidifier preference, this is my first go through using humidifiers and I just grabbed some lil thing from Target when I was getting toilet paper to stick in the veg tent. However, what I've been looking for is the kind of thing bobblehead was doing - unfortunately I can't find the post I found so helpful, but here's an offsite thread with pictures showing the general idea.

genghis_bong

Thanks for the reply
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370905424.915300.jpg

I went ahead and picked up a new reptifogger. I need to paint the bottle and that tube otherwise, they'll turn green. I'm in a small space and this allowed me to direct the humidity. Cheaper than the health humidifier on Amazon.

Anyways, sorry to pollute your thread with a sick plant. Looking forward to more updates.

Arminius

"I'm not a pezzamist, I am an optometrist"
Veteran
Heya genghis_bong, thanks for droppin' in. I had the same thought you did when I started cruising through the vert forums and seeing some of the stuff people here are doing totally sold me. First time I went vert I still broke my personal gpw record while making some pretty major yield-destroying mistakes and those results sold me.

I don't have a humidifier preference, this is my first go through using humidifiers and I just grabbed some lil thing from Target when I was getting toilet paper to stick in the veg tent. However, what I've been looking for is the kind of thing bobblehead was doing - unfortunately I can't find the post I found so helpful, but here's an offsite thread with pictures showing the general idea.

Gettogro has dyi foggers that I think Bobble acknowledged to be superior to his. Basically an ultrasonic fogger in a tote, with a fan and PVC ducting. Float valve keeps the water level constant, and just put it on a timer when lights are on.

Kit Kat

Awesome Arminus, thanks a lot for the reminder - here's the post on gettogro's latest DIY humidifier, and this is the one I wanted to replicate.

I have everything but the ultrasonic transducers, just gotta track that down.

Kit Kat

Alrighty, tomorrow I'll post up some pics at the beginning of week 3 - the ladies are looking bloody fabulous.

Tonight though I decided to get a brew of Capulator's tea going, to start off week 3 and give everything vegging a nice boost. After reading jackmayoffer's thread through a few times it seemed like this would be a nice once-a-week addition to what I'm already doing, and add the the microflora I so miss from doing things organically.

This is my favorite little iced tea jug filled up with about a gallon or so of water. I picked up 4oz bags of each of Cap's 'packs' and scaled the tea recipe down by a fourth.

This is two good handfuls of potting soil with castings and forest humus in a paint strainer bag, 2 tbsp of HiBrix for sugars, 1 tbsp each of Root and Foliar and 1/8th tsp of the Nute pack. This is aerated by a 7.8 litre/min air pump with two square airstones hanging off the end. It'll run through lights on tomorrow, then I'll probably dilute it to 1:2 and give everything a good soaking.

Once the tea is finished and after dilution I'll add Sea Green from that little sample bottle my local shop gave me at the rate of 1ml/gal.

Looking forward to seeing the results.

Kit Kat

Tidbits and start of Set 2, Week 1

Tidbits and start of Set 2, Week 1

Thought this was interesting - pinched on the left, and left alone on the right. Same cut size, pot, watering, etc. Just a lot more plant in the same period of time from one lil pinch.

These were just transplanted and will hang out under the 400w for the next two weeks to become set 3. They'll be bigger than the one I just put in...

These were moved out of the veg tent after a few days in their new pots and tossed into the flower room with a new 600w hung. I don't have time to build screens before taking off for a bit, so they're gonna have to spend their first week-10 days growing whichever way.

Everything was watered with 1/2 cup of tea to 1/2 gallon of water and 1ml Sea Green.

Kit Kat

And from last night, the end of week 2 for set 1 - today is the start of week 3. I'll get some more pictures up tonight with the HPS off, that damn yellow is so shitty. Ladies are crawling up the screen though and don't have much left to fill it. Based on the last time I did this I have about 3.5 weeks, maybe 4 of stretch so there's still plenty left to go. I pinch tops whenever I poke my head in to see to try and keep them evened out and they're bushing pretty nicely.

Currently watering per 20g refill:
- 3 tbsp Epsom Salts
- 125ml H&G Cocos A/B
- 25ml Pro Tekt
- 60ml Multi Zen
- 25ml Roots Excelurator
- 20ml Drip Clean

Comes out to pH of 5.8 with an EC of 1.3

One thing I noticed this morning is they all turned a deep green and seem more lush, I suppose, after the tea/sea green? Definitely greened up nicely though.

Last edited:

DamnUglyDogE

Learning the rules well,so as to break them effect
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Looking lean and clean K.k. . Them ladies sure like a little pinch here and there..
Wakes em up.. lets em know ya care. .lol

Going to get thick and strong ..nice...

Work it bro. .

----- :alien::ying::alien: -----

Bmac1

Veteran
Looking fantastic in there KitKat. I have been convinced and will be building these screens myself this weekend. At what point are you going to thin them out if at all?

Kit Kat

Looking fantastic in there KitKat. I have been convinced and will be building these screens myself this weekend. At what point are you going to thin them out if at all?

I'm going to remove the sucker branches and lanky little suckers inside the canopy tonight so they aren't wasting any more energy since I take off tomorrow for until end of week 4.

(Thank god for blumats, I'm just going to mix up some 5g jugs of water like I described above and leave them ready to go for my buddy to refill if needed - pretty convinced now that my nutrient issues are taken care of with the addition of epsom salt).

If I was here, I'd slowly be removing the fans that are blocking out budsites between now and then, hopefully ending up with a nice unshaded canopy that allows all sites good light. Instead I'll be doing that throughout week 5.

soursmoker

East Coast, All Day!
Veteran
How's it looking man? I skimmed through your old thread and this one. I am readin up a lot on vert. How is your fan filter muffler combo doing? you have 8" fan? how are temps and everything? I seen you guys talking bout humidifier but I gonna skimmed over that part. my bad man.

Kit Kat

Heya soursmoker - I've been out of town since my last post until late last night so it looks like I'll have a big post this evening to dump once the lights come back on and I can take some pictures. Things in general seem to be looking good! Nice budset coming in on the first set, the second unscreened set doubled in size easily and the same for the stuff I had in veg.

A lot of environmental issues cropped up while I was gone though, but I haven't had a chance to really figure out what effect they had.

The Scrubber -> Filter -> Fan combo works excellently, definitely made an impact on overall noise levels and I'll always configure them this way in the future.

The fan is 8" with a 750CFM rating, but I suspect I'll need to size this up - thinking a 10 or 12" CAN, and this is because temps in the room seem to have raised to 80 or so with the lights on and I'd like to get that down. Once all four lights are running I suspect the 8" is not going to be able to keep up.

Unfortunately the ducting apparently popped off from my fan while I was gone and the friend I had keeping an eye on things didn't really know to watch for this so when I got home temps were around 83-84 in the room and humidity at 80% with lights off! Once I hooked the ducting back up that dropped to 81F/65% humidity but I have no idea how long that was on going, but judging from the stretching second set it may have been awhile, there are some long internode gaps going on there. Should've used the silver tape instead of duct... another lesson learned, and I'm going to redo all duct connections tonight with silver tape to prevent that from ever occurring again.

On a positive note besides the ducting issue everything else seemed to go just awesomely - blumats worked as expected on both sets and the veg tent - unfortunately I have a couple of runaways I have to deal with, but that was due (as I found out later) to my buddy being concerned that 'the top of the soil seemed dry so I turned up the drip rate'. There's probably 10-15g of water sitting around on the liner right now contributing to my higher than preferred humidity levels at the moment for budset.

G

GMax

not too bad for being gone for about 12 days though..! could have been worse...

cant wait to see the pics...

keep it up bro..!!

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
Keep a eye on the stretch to make sure that the lack of moisturein the pot, higher temps and humindity didn't increase the stretch time. This can be checked by tying a branch tight to the screen. Then place something on the screen at the bud top to see if it moves past the marker you fastened to the screen at the bud top. I do this to check if I have done something by mistake that I feel could affect the stretch time length.

Room looks great. Waiting for the update.

Kit Kat

@Gmax - Right? That's what I was thinking, all in all it went pretty well.

@Ichabod - Thanks for that tip, I wouldn't've thought stretch would be extended from higher temp/humidity. Thankfully there was no lack of moisture in the pot, just a misunderstanding on how blumats worked, so he cranked the dial up until they're overflowing by default on a couple of 'em.

Latest posts

Latest posts