What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Kit Kat's OG Kush Round 2, the Perpetual vScrog

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
I don't know if it will increase the stretch time or not. Just stated it because you were having some issues. Just something to use to find if stretch has been delayed or you are running a new strain that you are unfamilar with.

Femora

Really nice setup!

Are those plants revegged? They seem so... Branchylicious! :D

Id love to see some before-after-pics from when removing suckers. An how the canopy is looking now!
Lol, if you check my first vert-thread youll know why. It was a real mess in there during my first vert-attempt! ;p

Keep it up!
Fem~

Kit Kat

@Ichabod - Aah, alright, I'm with you now. I think I might mark a ruler on the screens themselves as well so I can keep track of that as a matter of course.

@lazy gardener - Thanks!

@Femora - They weren't revegged, but went through a ton of shit in travelling, then being chopped up for cuts, chopped back in general, and finally strapped up to the screens and pinched a whole lot.

Man, just put in a 12 hour day after 12 hours of driving the day before with no sleep - my brain is totally useless. I'm going to try and get in there but I may just pass out first.

O

otis33

man, I've lurked a thread of yours in the past and you definitely are showing tons of improvement since I've least seen you on the forums. I don't know how this slipped by me, but I'm going to subscribe to keep up with this one. lookin good. it's nice to see blumats work for someone else, I have some at home and another location and I'm pretty happy with the grow being able to run itself in my absence.

Bmac1

Veteran
I bet those screens are looking great. I got mine built last weekend but my clone options have let me down so I have to start from seed. I may not use the screens till I find a suitable strain. Cant wait to see how this one turns out though.

Kit Kat

Veg stuff

Veg stuff

@otis33 - I really appreciate you taking the time to say it, it means a lot! Glad you're going to follow along, I have some improvements in the pipeline particularly related to the blumats I think people might find interesting. Always trying to do better, hanging around y'all is an inspiration. Definitely have come along a bit since that Kalichakra disaster. :)

@Bmac1 - Cannot recommend screens enough now, making life so much easier. If you're still in the seed purchase stage check my Kalichakra thread, I think I started flowering at 14" tall and they ended up between 60-65" tall, so a good one for screens there. Once I get a few cycles under my belt I have a couple of packs I want to grow out and try again.

Alright, so I ended up getting in the room last night and glad I did, it's a bit of a mess all around. A lot of work to do today to try and get everything back in order but I'll go over that with the pics when. Everything here was taken late last night.

It's a jungle in there now, couldn't remember where I stuck my measuring tape but they've gotta be at least 30"+ tall right now. They grew /a lot/ once the blumats were stuck in literally the night before I left.

When I poked in there they were growing against the glass and frying, another thing to add to my 'list' for a buddy to check if I ever decide to take a vacation again. Raised the lights up as far as I could get them and they've already regrown the light.

Nice structure, looks good in general - I think I'm going to take some cuts off these and top them all to get rid of the burnt bits and see how that goes.

Kit Kat

[Set 2] End of Week 2 (Day 14)

[Set 2] End of Week 2 (Day 14)

Moving along the line with the not-so-interesting stuff, here's what I threw into flower without screens right before I took off.

This is day 14 for them, or the end of week 2. I'm going to build screens tonight and get them strapped up. Already liking the structure a lot better on these than the chopped up first set, and it looks like they'll fill the screen out much better.

I think they look pretty happy!

The bulb never moved the entire time I was gone, but it does not seem to have caused much of a problem. I moved it up above the tops to encourage more stretch.

The internode distance on this isn't as bad as I originally thought so perhaps the ducting problem I was talking about was a relatively recent thing. (On my to do list, get that silver tape, still need to do that).

These things really blew up, I was surprised. My notes say they were about 16"-18" when they went in. Here they are straight out of the veg tent for comparison:

Kit Kat

[Set 1] End of week 4 (Day 28) - pre cleanup

[Set 1] End of week 4 (Day 28) - pre cleanup

Getting into the rowdy stuff now. Here's the original set with stretch finished, right before the top of the screens for the most part. The light stayed at the very top the entire time and it turned into a righteous mess down there.

Here's a bit more of an 'over the top' shot where everything is starting to lean off of the screen and you can see a lot of branches flopping about below above the fan.

Opened it up a bit, definitely jungly in here. I said in an earlier post I was going to remove the sucker branches... and I didn't... here are the results of that, as well as leaving the bulb up there too high during budset. Not sure if in the future I'm going to keep raising the light throughout all of stretch, a lot of this bottom stuff lanked out trying to get up there. On the other hand, I wasn't around to clip stuff back before it became a problem and remove suckers, so we'll see on set 2 since I'll actually be around for that one.

Just sorta stuck in the camera in here, hard to tell what's going on but basically the lower half of the plant just fell off and fluttered in the fan breeze. There were branches everywhere, it was obvious they were trying to stretch up towards the light and fell. Next time I'll drop the light earlier, probably at the tail end of stretch.

Kit Kat

One lady getting stripped down

One lady getting stripped down

@soursmoker, this post is for you. One of the ladies I pulled out and did some clean up on. With the long 3mm line and the screen this was soooo much easier than my last grow with the stakes and not being able to shift stuff around. I just picked the screen up, pulled it across the room and sat down on a bucket listening to tunes. Way different that wriggling across the tent floor on my back to get under the canopy like last time.

So the ones I'm actually pulling on are sucker branches that were clipped out. These all had stems that were obviously thinner than the others, more lanky, smaller budset, and generally longer internode distances. I started by whacking the obvious ones, then went back and removed everything I couldn't 'fit' somewhere in the screen. Since there were SO MANY branches the final comparison typically was 'Which one has more nodes, I'll keep that'.

Here's what was removed.

And here's what it looks like afterwards. Still a mess, but I was oh so fuckin' tired at this point and didn't want to remove too much stuff at once. Already afraid I've probably caused a shock as it is.

Kit Kat

[Set 1] End of week 4 (Day 28) - post cleanup

[Set 1] End of week 4 (Day 28) - post cleanup

After stripping the first lady down I was done for the night and just wanted to get everything put away so I could drop the bulb and get some sleep.

What I did here is just clip everything back to the screen that was leaning foward, and then later clip branches back to other branches. Some fans were removed if they were huge and obviously getting in the way once clipped back, but otherwise I largely left it all alone and figured that since the bulb is so close it ought to be able to penetrate the canopy so a bit of crowdedness at this point should be ok?

Here's an example of just clipping branches in a bunch - it took maybe half the amount of time to get all 3 pulled back as it did to strip the first one down alone.

A couple shots of single ladies.

All in all I think this is going pretty well. Some growing pains with a new spot and a new style, but thanks to all y'all's info around the mag seems like most of the killer mistakes have been avoided so far.

One thing about these pictures, the bottoms are yellowing/limp because the res had been topped up for about 4 days with just plain water and then I let it go dry the night prior. Good to know that the 1.0-1.3 EC target is working out pretty well if they went hungry that quick, but they drank waaay more than I anticipated so I have some plans for that.

What's coming up next:

- Brewing another OGBIOWAR tea, that'll be done tonight - I'll be handwatering that in at the end of every week.
- Building 8 more screens for the second and third set of ladies
- Cleaning up the ladies currently in veg and moving them in to flower
- Building a blumat manifold for my fill and flush tanks, that'll be sometime this week.

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
I love being able to pull the screens right out of the room to trim and tie them back with out affecting the other plants.

I would not trim anything for about 3 days then give it another round of trimming. Then wait a couple more days and do it again. I ussualy give my plants a day or two between trims. Takes about 5 trims to get them around 95% stripped. If you go to fast you will see them slow way down on the uptake of the water and nutes. If that happens take less off and spread it out longer next time.

Femora

Im so curious to see this unfold!

Its quite similar my mess... but with your setting it should not be a mold-issue even when its that crowded. And your air-control is.... err... lets just say im ashamed when i think on my own vent... I wanna get a decent place to setup, asap! :eek:

Nice telling and setup of informative pics! I love em! :tiphat:

Fem~

Last edited:

Bmac1

Veteran
Looking forward to another update, they must be looking pretty nice by now.

Kit Kat

Thanks for keeping tabs on the thread, life has been incredibly busy with people visiting and 12 hour work days so I've been crushed. I'll have an update by Tuesday at the latest and everythings been pushed back a bit because of the heatwave that smashed the area - couldn't get an AC for pretty much most of it and had to dial the lights down and not set up the others.

Life - always getting in the way.

Reaspberry Rip

I love reading these journals. Learned so much from so many.

Having just switched to V-SCROG all has been from seed.

Would like to ask,, is there a preference in vertical SCROGing when it comes to "clone or seed"? For filling a screen does it matter much?

Thanbks and plan on following along. :tiphat:

Drvktr

Lookin awesome kit kat! Was wondering how tall your ladies are now that stretch is about over? Also, how many days are you planning on flowering? my plants have been flowering as long as yours and your ish is EXPLODING! gettin it dialed duder!

Kit Kat

Round 3, going from veg to flower

Round 3, going from veg to flower

A long delayed update, here. Believe I'm back on track with everything and putting the garden back to the top of my priorities - keeping perpetual going is a lot harder than I anticipated when you don't have the time to do those little chores every day.

So looking at my camera shots here these were the plants that were vegging, and I got around to pulling them out on July 4th to throw into flower. They were about 30" tall each at this point and frying themselves on the 400w CMH that's in there - it couldn't be raised anymore, and they were growing well up past it at this point.

Nice and toasted where it'd been sitting on the glass. The structure is totally whacked as well.

Definitely got thicker up there towards the top compared to the bottom, which was shaded out pretty heavy by the time they came out.

And here's one strapped up. Fills the screen nicely already.

Latest posts

Latest posts