What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Kicking Caffeine

chilliwilli

Waterboy
I have been trying to drink more green tea to counteract the jittery effects of caffeine. Green tea has small quantities of L-Theanine, but the effect is minute. I finally bit the bullet and bought some L-Theanine supplement (derived from green tea), and take 200mg twice per day. I don't think I have ever taken a supplement that has effected me more than this. I feel focussed and calm. It's actually got me wondering if caffeine effects me a lot more than I'd realised.

I may look at giving up coffee for a bit to see what happens. I love coffee. It is my ritalin for ADHD, but I also get anxiety and have insomnia. Scary thought going a day without coffee but I am off to shop for alternatives today.
400mg theanine would be way too much for me.
I take supplements with 100mg caffeine and 100mg l-theanine preworkout and 2 will give me an unpleasant tunnle vision and hyperfocus. One is fine or one in the morning and a second after 7-8h is also ok.
But right now i test a new magic potion. One dose would be 50mg caffeine, 250mg greentea extract,112mg bitter orange extract, and some other things. Imo its the synephrine in the bitter orange extract what gives me the extra push. But i have to be carefull not to drink too much. 1,5 dose max per day or else it will give me headaches.

RobFromTX

I take supplements with 100mg caffeine and 100mg l-theanine preworkout and 2 will give me an unpleasant tunnle vision and hyperfocus. One is fine or one in the morning and a second after 7-8h is also ok.
But right now i test a new magic potion. One dose would be 50mg caffeine, 250mg greentea extract,112mg bitter orange extract, and some other things. Imo its the synephrine in the bitter orange extract what gives me the extra push. But i have to be carefull not to drink too much. 1,5 dose max per day or else it will give me headaches.
What do you think causes the tunnel vision? I guess caffeine is instant energy and theanine is a slow release energy source. I really enjoyed green tea the few times i tried it. I just cant stand the aftertaste of tea.

chilliwilli

Waterboy
What do you think causes the tunnel vision? I guess caffeine is instant energy and theanine is a slow release energy source. I really enjoyed green tea the few times i tried it. I just cant stand the aftertaste of tea.
I think it was the theanine. It was the focus feeling i got from one pill just way too strong for my liking. Caffeine alone doesn't give me that.
But the extract also is way stronger than just green tea. 100mg should be like 4-5 cups of green tea.

St. Phatty

Sports Illustrated had an interesting article about Tony Mandarich, Green May lineman in maybe the 1990s.

Sounds like he was close to consuming a Full Milligram of caffeine every day. Plus steroids.

Do you think he took Human Growth Hormone too ?

Wasn't popular with everybody.

Chi13

ICMag Donor
It does seem like a lot of l-theanine. I read a cup of green tea has about 25mg, so yeah 16 cups of tea a day does sound excessive. The reason I chose that was due to the literature I read about dose. I will experiment a bit with smaller doses and see what happens. Having ADHD though means that I need more stimulant just to feel normal.

Rgd

Veteran
I really enjoyed green tea the few times i tried it.
I drink green tea with sushi..love it, but not as a coffee substitute

currently cutting back from 6 cups of coffee day....doing 4 a day now..no problem...

want to try together down to three

will see how that works..

thanks for the inspiration..you are still off the juice?

Last edited:

RobFromTX

I drink green tea with sushi..love it, but not as a coffee substitute

currently cutting back from 6 cups of coffee day....doing 4 a day now..no problem...

want to try together down to three

will see how that works..

thanks for the inspiration..you are still off the juice?
Yes i quit last August. It just started making me tired whenever i drank it. It didnt give me a kick anymore. But hey man if you enjoy it thats all that matters (y)

Rgd

Veteran
Yes i quit last August. It just started making me tired whenever i drank it. It didnt give me a kick anymore. But hey man if you enjoy it thats all that matters (y)
thanks

I roast my own. and enjoy it when I have not been abusing it so much it kicks my ass..

and that only happens after weeks of over doing it..

if I can just have one in the morning I may be able to avoid that..

who am I kidding..I will still need one after supper ..”for science "

its the noon and afternoon coffees that get me..it makes me want to fall asleep then

RobFromTX

thanks

I roast my own. and enjoy it when I have not been abusing it so much it kicks my ass..

and that only happens after weeks of over doing it..

if I can just have one in the morning I may be able to avoid that..

who am I kidding..I will still need one after supper ..”for science "

its the noon and afternoon coffees that get me..it makes me want to fall asleep then
I use to have my after dinner espresso shot. i totally understand

Reactions: Rgd

right

I quit recently. I have stage 2 hypertension. Instead I have my ol' lady fix me a sugar free hot coco , 99.9 percent caffeine free . It has calmed my panic attacks and my fits of rage are milder. The withdrawal wasn't too bad

RobFromTX

I quit recently. I have stage 2 hypertension. Instead I have my ol' lady fix me a sugar free hot coco , 99.9 percent caffeine free . It has calmed my panic attacks and my fits of rage are milder. The withdrawal wasn't too bad
Good for you brother. I discovered a lot of small benefits from quitting that i didnt anticipate. including lower blood pressure and improved sleep. I don't think i'll ever mess with it again to say the least