What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Kicking Caffeine

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
milk or no milk - funny. I read another article that said scientists had found out that having your tea with milk is not that beneficial and kinda unhealthy. They said that you should have your tea without milk to gain all the benefits of the tea.
These guys ie the `experts´ change their minds about things all the time, don´t they?
I just read on a website where they stated that we shouldn´t eat fruit!!
Yes, i have read conflicting opinions on milk in tea...many people find it too acidic without milk and i have read many times that the tannins can be harsh on your stomach without milk to neutralize them.
This survey is new and quite large, and seems to show that many of the health benefits of black tea are regardless of whether it is with milk or not.

Fruit has vitamins, minerals and many good things.. but is also full of sugar. Fruit is much better than fruit juice.... but we should get as much of of our '5 a day' from Veg as we can imo.
Our Microbiome (the microbes etc in our stomach that digest our food) is compromised if we eat too much sugar. Interesting that our Microbiome and its diversity and efficiency depends entirely on our environment and what we eat rather than our genetics.
VG

Last edited:

chilliwilli

Waterboy
The diabetic industry advice is f'n whacked. ;)
I saw a swiss docu about drug approval and there is a working vaccine against typ 2 diabetes but the company was too small and run out of money for that project. And big pharma makes to much money off treatment so they won't try to release a cure.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I thought type 2 diabetes can be cured/reversed by weight loss and diet? -
  1. Avoid ALL refined carbohydrates. That means no pasta, rice or bread (even wholegrain bread will spike your insulin)
  2. Avoid ALL added sugar. If your body is already in a state where you cannot process carbohydrates and sugars properly, you are going to have to take steps to fully eliminate all sugars, at least in the short term.
  3. Avoid ALL sweet drinks. It is best to stick to water, tea, coffee.
  4. Do not be scared of good quality, healthy, natural fat – avocados, olives, almonds etc. Don’t worry about this causing you to put on weight. A study published in 2003 showed that people who supplemented their diet with almonds lost more weight than those who supplemented with so-called “healthy, complex carbs”
  5. Do not waste your energy counting calories. Concentrate on the quality of the food that you are eating and the calorie control will take care of itself.
  6. FEED YOUR GUT BUGS, not just yourself. There are trillions of bugs that live in your gut – their health is critical in determining your health. Many studiesshow links between the state of your gut bugs (your microbiota) and type 2 diabetes. Start improving the health of your gut immediately by eating five servings of different coloured vegetables each day. The non digestible fibre in vegetables is the preferred food for your gut bacteria and when your gut bugs are happy, you will be happy. The wider the variety of colours, the more phytonutrients you will be getting.
  7. Do my 5 minute kitchen workout once a day. This could be before breakfast, lunch or dinner – whatever works for you.
  8. If you like to snack, keep some high fat healthy snacks with you, such as olives, nuts or hummus. When you snack on refined carbohydrates such as biscuits, you go on a blood sugar rollercoaster that results in you feeling hungry shortly after. Fats, on the other hand, will keep you fuller for longer.
  9. Include high quality protein and fat with EVERY single meal. This helps to stabilise your blood sugars and promotes satiety and fullness, making it less likely that you will want to reach for dessert after your meal.
  10. Eat your meals sitting down at a table. Eating on the sofa while watching TV encourages a mindless form of eating – this can lead you to eat higher quantities than you otherwise would. If you sit at a table and concentrate on what you’re eating, you are more likely to enjoy your food, feel satisfied at the end of your meal and eat less.
  11. Consider a form of regular fasting (more to come in a later blog), such as intermittent fasting or time-restricted feeding (TRF). TRF means eating your calories during a specific window of the day, and choosing not to eat food for the rest. It’s a great way to reduce insulin levels in your body and help undo the effects of chronically elevated levels.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I saw a swiss docu about drug approval and there is a working vaccine against typ 2 diabetes but the company was too small and run out of money for that project. And big pharma makes to much money off treatment so they won't try to release a cure.
Type 2 diabetes is a completely food, mostly corn, based issue. Reversible by choosing foods by your (and parent's) blood types. Way back before the massive infiltration of corn in our food supply, type 2 was called "adult onset" diabetes because it was almost unheard of before the age of 30.

When newborns began being regularly diagnosed with it they decided on changing the name.

Typebase5 search engine. Look up your foods and finally thrive. ;) You'll use significantly less caffeine. :tiphat:

Sub24ox7

I wish I had type 2 as it’s reversible. I’m a type 1 diabetic and I eat a lot of fruit(blood type o) but I run 5 miles a day plus strength train. I don’t drink milk unless it’s fermented. The microbiome is more important than most realize and fruit, fiber etc. is good for it. There are also antioxidants and polyphenols in a lot fruit plus nutrients. Idk I try and eat more lean protein than anything else but it gets hard if I run more than 5 miles a day then I get to craving carbs lol.
Hard to know what’s what with all the contradictory studies but I believe the microbiome is incredibly important to health.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I know a decent diet could cure diabetes but most people can't change their eating habits. A easy fix could save a lot lives or prevent some pain.
Life IS pain. Anyone who says different is selling something. Poorly quoted Dread Pirate Roberts line from 'The Princess Bride.' The pill, like 99% of all the current pills, will have side effects which changing food choices would not. I see the attraction, and the mechanism of damage causing the original issue.

We do not need more types of sweepers to clean up the different types of metal shavings... we need to fix the machine so it quits carving off all kinds of metal shavings. ;)

Cuddles

I thought type 2 diabetes can be cured/reversed by weight loss and diet? -
  1. Avoid ALL refined carbohydrates. That means no pasta, rice or bread (even wholegrain bread will spike your insulin)
  2. Avoid ALL added sugar. If your body is already in a state where you cannot process carbohydrates and sugars properly, you are going to have to take steps to fully eliminate all sugars, at least in the short term.
  3. Avoid ALL sweet drinks. It is best to stick to water, tea, coffee.
  4. Do not be scared of good quality, healthy, natural fat – avocados, olives, almonds etc. Don’t worry about this causing you to put on weight. A study published in 2003 showed that people who supplemented their diet with almonds lost more weight than those who supplemented with so-called “healthy, complex carbs”
  5. Do not waste your energy counting calories. Concentrate on the quality of the food that you are eating and the calorie control will take care of itself.
  6. FEED YOUR GUT BUGS, not just yourself. There are trillions of bugs that live in your gut – their health is critical in determining your health. Many studiesshow links between the state of your gut bugs (your microbiota) and type 2 diabetes. Start improving the health of your gut immediately by eating five servings of different coloured vegetables each day. The non digestible fibre in vegetables is the preferred food for your gut bacteria and when your gut bugs are happy, you will be happy. The wider the variety of colours, the more phytonutrients you will be getting.
  7. Do my 5 minute kitchen workout once a day. This could be before breakfast, lunch or dinner – whatever works for you.
  8. If you like to snack, keep some high fat healthy snacks with you, such as olives, nuts or hummus. When you snack on refined carbohydrates such as biscuits, you go on a blood sugar rollercoaster that results in you feeling hungry shortly after. Fats, on the other hand, will keep you fuller for longer.
  9. Include high quality protein and fat with EVERY single meal. This helps to stabilise your blood sugars and promotes satiety and fullness, making it less likely that you will want to reach for dessert after your meal.
  10. Eat your meals sitting down at a table. Eating on the sofa while watching TV encourages a mindless form of eating – this can lead you to eat higher quantities than you otherwise would. If you sit at a table and concentrate on what you’re eating, you are more likely to enjoy your food, feel satisfied at the end of your meal and eat less.
  11. Consider a form of regular fasting (more to come in a later blog), such as intermittent fasting or time-restricted feeding (TRF). TRF means eating your calories during a specific window of the day, and choosing not to eat food for the rest. It’s a great way to reduce insulin levels in your body and help undo the effects of chronically elevated levels.

plus: limit your booze intake, that will really help too :)

As for bicuits - I never bought any since college,when I used to looove fig rolls, but rarely treated myself to them.
I make choc biscuits with more oats than flour, about 1:3 or 1:4 ratio. And no additional sugar of course. The oats make them a really filling and much more healthy treat in between. Like when I feel like eating a little something, but not too much, it´s perfect :) Btw I only have one proper meal per day.

I just realized that I meant to make some biscuits today and forgot... AGAIN !:biggrin:

RobFromTX

Yes, i have read conflicting opinions on milk in tea...many people find it too acidic without milk and i have read many times that the tannins can be harsh on your stomach without milk to neutralize them.
This survey is new and quite large, and seems to show that many of the health benefits of black tea are regardless of whether it is with milk or not.

Fruit has vitamins, minerals and many good things.. but is also full of sugar. Fruit is much better than fruit juice.... but we should get as much of of our '5 a day' from Veg as we can imo.
Our Microbiome (the microbes etc in our stomach that digest our food) is compromised if we eat too much sugar. Interesting that our Microbiome and its diversity and efficiency depends entirely on our environment and what we eat rather than our genetics.
VG
At the coffeehouse my wife use to work at I believe it was called a "london Fog". An infusion of black tea and whole milk. I barely got down two sips before ordering coffee to cover up the taste. Nevertheless it was a very popular drink

Cuddles

At the coffeehouse my wife use to work at I believe it was called a "london Fog". An infusion of black tea and whole milk. I barely got down two sips before ordering coffee to cover up the taste. Nevertheless it was a very popular drink
I never liked the taste either! Tea: black and sweet for me :) lemon? occasionally maybe...

Cuddles

Oolong was the only tea i ever tried that i somewhat enjoyed. Its grown in the mountains of Taiwan. very expensive
oh yes, it doesn´t come cheap, does it? The chinese are said to like drinking it after a meal. it´s suppose to help with digestion - fats or whatever, can´t remember the details, sorry :(

RobFromTX

oh yes, it doesn´t come cheap, does it? The chinese are said to like drinking it after a meal. it´s suppose to help with digestion - fats or whatever, can´t remember the details, sorry :(
The chinese are notorious for using bad stuff to grow their tea. Ive read articles. I think Taiwans a different story though

Cuddles

The chinese are notorious for using bad stuff to grow their tea. Ive read articles. I think Taiwans a different story though
I´ve read about it too. But sometimes I think: If it´s so bad, how come they´re so happy consuming it?

RobFromTX

I´ve read about it too. But sometimes I think: If it´s so bad, how come they´re so happy consuming it?
Most folks there a pretty poor. They probably take what they can get. No judgement here though. Ive had my bouts with sugar and its far worse

St. Phatty

Is this one of the reasons Mexican & Indian folks like spicy food ?

They get some kind of stimulant effect from the peppers & curries ?

Once I was a member of an international house type eating fraternity/ sorority.

When the Mexican folks cooked, they always made one "normal hot" for themselves, and bland for us Yankees.

Same for the Indian folks.

But most of the time, they couldn't "cross over". The Mexican folks avoided the hot curries, and the Indian folks avoided the hot pepper dishes.

Cuddles

Is this one of the reasons Mexican & Indian folks like spicy food ?

They get some kind of stimulant effect from the peppers & curries ?

Once I was a member of an international house type eating fraternity/ sorority.

When the Mexican folks cooked, they always made one "normal hot" for themselves, and bland for us Yankees.

Same for the Indian folks.

But most of the time, they couldn't "cross over". The Mexican folks avoided the hot curries, and the Indian folks avoided the hot pepper dishes.
I think people just use the spices and herbs, and other foods which grow and thrive in their country. Remember that once upon a time there was much less import and export going on than today.
When travellers brought plants from other parts of the world and they did well in the climate, the plants were then cultivated.
Here in europe the traditional cuisines are very much based on herbs and veggies which have actually grown here for centuries (or longer). Same thing in asia and so on :)
and yes, I´m sure that some of them were once brought here from travellers.
There was a time when pepper was practically used as a currency. It was so rare and expensive that only the really wealthy could afford it.

xet

I had two coffee breaks since my original post to compare to my original post about my first coffee break experience.

Each break, by the 3rd night, my sleep is interrupted all throughout the night with terrible leg aches and I am in considerable pain waking up with intense leg aches across front and back of my thighs.

After 10 hours of aching leg pains I quickly get up and make myself a coffee and 10 minutes later all of the aches disappear and I feel brilliant and exquisite again.

Also my Ethiopian coffee vendor was out of stock so I put in an order for 2.2kg of unroasted Papua New Guinea.

Some asshat suggested I was having drug withdrawals so I put him on ignore with the other psychic dudebros. I have always been a clean person with a healthy diet and I have not even smoked the herb since New Years.