What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Kerala Landrace info

chilliwilli

Waterboy
hi folks

try to plan my kerala gold grow:biggrin:.

got my beans from indian landrace exchange via the ace homepage.

at what time can i expect the keraka to show sex? any chance they show sex early in veg?

my plan is to keep moms and then put clones in vertical nets. not sure if i keep the males but dev make one time seeds for the future.

thx chilli

Last edited:
G'day gentlemen and gentleladies. this is my first post on here, long time reader

If i wanted to find Kerala dominate f2 of Guerilla Gusto which is a mix of Himilayan thin leaf indicas and india equatorial Kerala.

what characteristics are different between the two since both Himilayan and Kerala have thin leaf looks, would the kerala dom ones be the longest flowering? what smells would i be looking for in stem rubs, and in male clusters of flowers?

got my beans from indian landrace exchange via the ace homepage.

at what time can i expect the keraka to show sex? any chance they show sex early in veg?

its my understanding, they take a LONG time to show, and it helps to go with 10/14 since its closer to their daily light amount in india in flower season, November(preflower) - December/January(harvest)

djonkoman

Veteran
G'day gentlemen and gentleladies. this is my first post on here, long time reader

If i wanted to find Kerala dominate f2 of Guerilla Gusto which is a mix of Himilayan thin leaf indicas and india equatorial Kerala.

what characteristics are different between the two since both Himilayan and Kerala have thin leaf looks, would the kerala dom ones be the longest flowering? what smells would i be looking for in stem rubs, and in male clusters of flowers?

it depends on what kind of kerala traits you're looking for.

first off, I think it's mendel's 3rd law(but could be another nr.), the law of independent assortment. many weedgrowers seems to miss this one.

what it practically means is that how a plant looks in veg says absolutely nothing about how the weed will smoke once it's done. so selecting on leafshape(or flowering time, or whatever other trait not related to the high) is useless unless you want a specific leafshape for whatever reason(for example, it could be that you want to breed for a plant where the light penetrates deeper into the canopy, in that case you'd want thin-fingered leaves over fat-fingered leaves).

so if you're looking for shortcuts to tell which will have the most sativa-type high etc, there are none.

good news though is that theoretically, it is possible to create a plant that has the bud structure of an indica with a completely sativa-type effect. the high is likelely pretty complex genetics-wise though, so achieving that in practice is a different matter.

either way, point is, if you're interested in plants that have a high like kerale you'll have to judge them based on finished product, no way a seedling is going to tell you what it's high will be like.

edit:
to put it in a human comparison. say you're terrible with maths. you get a kid with a woman who is great at maths. your mother sees the baby and comments it has your nose. can you now predict how well your kid will do in math classes?

I chose ability at math since I think it's a similarly complex trait as a high of a weedplant, part genetics(which is likely already complex, lots of sub-traits that make up 'ability at maths', all which may be under the influence of multiple genes), and then on top of that you get the environment effect, how was the kid raised, that determines how that genetics part of the trait will be expressed.

Last edited:
it depends on what kind of kerala traits you're looking for.

either way, point is, if you're interested in plants that have a high like kerale you'll have to judge them based on finished product, no way a seedling is going to tell you what it's high will be like..
thanks for the reply, so basically i have to grow out a large population and save all the pollen from males, along with letting females flower out and test smoke each one(whilst taking clones of each in veg to keep track and use the genetics later?)

djonkoman

Veteran
thanks for the reply, so basically i have to grow out a large population and save all the pollen from males, along with letting females flower out and test smoke each one(whilst taking clones of each in veg to keep track and use the genetics later?)

yes, that could be an aproach.

however, first step I'd start with thinking about and defining your goals. and see what's possible(i.e. how many plants can you grow? to quote a saying from my native language 'when it can not be done as it should, it should be done as it can').

for example, let's say that you have a batch of seeds and statistically 1 in 100 will have the right mix of genes to produce exactly the high you want.

you could grow out exactly 100, never kill anything in veg, and select your 1 in 100 purely based on the high. but it might turn out the one with the right high is a badly growing runt.

you probably also want a plant that grows well, even if it is lower priority than high. so you could also start 500 seeds, kill the 4/5 that are least vigourous or don't have the structure you like etc.

now you are left with 100 plants at harvest to smoketest, same nr. as before. still 1 in 100 chance for the right high(since high and structure are seperate traits). but now that 1 in 100 plant will also have been selected for decent growth.

and if you can't grow 100 plants at once, you could compromise by doing 10 times 10 plants. takes more time, but eventually you still tested 100 plants.

however, another complication is statistics. since phenotype is genotype x environment, you may accidentally select the 2nd best plant out of a 100, since the best plant was at the edge of your room and wasn't positioned as nicely under the lamp, so it grew less well, but not due to genetics. so you want to try treating each plant as similar as possible, and if you have the means, do some statistical analysing, and for example you could also not gamble on 1 best plant, but select 5 or 10 best out of a 100. or instead, only throw away the worst 5-10(slower progress, but less risk of 'throwing away' good genes by accident)

and finally, keep in mind what environment you're selecting for. just the light wavelengths present already can have a large effect on how a plant expresses itself.

so let's say your ideal plant is a plant that grows well under a HPS lamp since that's usually how you grow. than you need to do selections while growing under HPS too, if you do selections under T5 or outdoor they may behave differently under HPS.

but now you made thois strain under HPS, and you want to give some seeds to a buddy who grows under leds, his plants may turn out very dofferent as what you selected it foir just due to environment. so if your goal is a strain that will work in multiple environment, you'll also have to test your selections in multiple environments before deciding on the final selection.

but if you're just interested in what will do well in your own environment, no need to make it more complicated by testing all kinds of environments, just pick 1 environment and stick to it.

chilliwilli

Waterboy
Hi folks i decided to start the kerala chellakutti from khalifa.

A week old and nice vigor. First came to life 4 days after first watering. A late comer sprouted a week later.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Im'One

Long bottom, i qould grow the most vigourous ones, let them flower out, then cut buds, dry and smoke. Choose your best high then completely cut down the less sarisfying ones. Leave some fans and small lower buds on the better phenos and re veg them. It takes a minute and some special tlc but it can be done usually. Some plants re veg better than others though...

ngakpa

Veteran
Real Seed Co Kerala (Idukki), 2015 accession

grower's photo, c. 15 weeks, organic soil, no liquid feed, 5 gallon pot indoors.

"Very strong mint garden spice aroma, very narrow leaves. The smell is so strong as strong as fresh picked garden mints and spices. Strong clean and happy smell."

Purple-blue colour indicates how the name "blue dreads" or "neelachadayan" came about. Others suggest this means "blue poison".

Covid-19 stopped our plans to get seed from our old-timer Keralan farmer source in Idukki this year. He still has fields up in the Western Ghat highlands along the Tamil Nadu - Kerala border.

A different grower got a plant from the same 2015 accession tested and it was c. 15% - 17% THC.

Here's a report from another plant, different grower again, but same accession:

"This was from the best of 5 ladies , very musky aroma/flavour with spicy undertones, and a soaring high which begins rather dense before smoothing into a creative and happy multi-hour trip. Final height was around 150cm in 6L coco coir and taken at ~16-17wks bloom."

Again, different grower, same accession:

Im'One

Real Seed Co Kerala (Idukki), 2015 accession

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=61379&pictureid=2054886&thumb=1]View Image[/url] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=61379&pictureid=2054885&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

grower's photo, c. 15 weeks, organic soil, no liquid feed, 5 gallon pot indoors.

"Very strong mint garden spice aroma, very narrow leaves. The smell is so strong as strong as fresh picked garden mints and spices. Strong clean and happy smell."

Purple-blue colour indicates how the name "blue dreads" or "neelachadayan" came about. Others suggest this means "blue poison".

Covid-19 stopped our plans to get seed from our old-timer Keralan farmer source in Idukki this year. He still has fields up in the Western Ghat highlands along the Tamil Nadu - Kerala border.

A different grower got a plant from the same 2015 accession tested and it was c. 15% - 17% THC.

Here's a report from another plant, different grower again, but same accession:

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=61379&pictureid=2054901&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

"This was from the best of 5 ladies , very musky aroma/flavour with spicy undertones, and a soaring high which begins rather dense before smoothing into a creative and happy multi-hour trip. Final height was around 150cm in 6L coco coir and taken at ~16-17wks bloom."

Again, different grower, same accession:

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=61379&pictureid=2054902&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

I bought some from you about a month ago would they be the same? Sounds very nice...?

chilliwilli

Waterboy
Whats your thought?

Whats your thought?

Hi folks my kerala chellakutti are 3 weeks at 11/13 and 3 out of 7 femals show bud developement, a 4. is starting to bloom. The 7 femals i got flower in a 90l tub with notill mix (2.run) and were topped at first and 3. week.

My thoughts are that this is very early for a kerala strain. At first try(sexing) with them was the same but with root restriction. After 2 weeks first hairs on the early and stocky one with little bud at 3. week

What are your thoughts on the early flower onset? From the description the chellakutti should be one of the longer flowering keralas

picture.php

meizzwang

SMOKE REPORT

STRAIN: RSC's Kerala (Finished around early-ish November outdoors in the Pacific Northwest)

Aroma: nose twitching spicy. Reminds me of a dry wine: zero sweetness, it sorta smells similar to some of the himalayan sativas, but distinctively different and hard to describe with words. I personally don't really like the fresh smell that much (I like the sweeter smelling stuff).

Appearance: X-mas tree, lots of resin. Sorry, didn't take dried nug pics:
48920678271_e3af1d7f65_c.jpg

49030851452_cfdbb77bb8_c.jpg

Taste: Very flavorful when properly cured. These buds had a 9 month cure before they were sampled. It surprisingly tasted like high quality chronic, it had that "green rip" flavor to it! This is probably due to the high amount of resin produced on the buds. A lot of the other landraces I tried were grassy and not so great, but the flavor of Kerala buds was surprisingly excellent!

Potency: For me it was strong, so for a regular stoner, I'd say this is medium to medium-high potency. Took 5 rips and didn't want anymore after that, was too much for me!

Effects: unmistakable visual distortions, arguably psychedelic! Strong light headedness, cerebral high. I don't remember there being any body high whatsoever. Zero paranoia and very functional high, probably best for daytime.

Overall Rating: 9/10 Absolutely worth growing, highly recommended for any sativa lover! The relatively early finish, high resin production, decent potency, as well as great flavored buds makes this one stand out from many other landraces. Only area it needs work on is the aroma, which interestingly didn't translate to flavor. I was expecting the flavor to lack, but this variety surprised me with a beautiful, dry, maybe gassy flavor? It just tasted chronic!

therevverend

Veteran
The 'blue poison' name is a reference to Shiva. When the Devas and Asuras churned the sea of milk in the old days on their treasure hunt a powerful poison, Halahala, appeared from the water. The fumes of it began overpowering the gods and demons. Shiva saved everybody by swallowing it. Using his yogi powers he was able to keep the poison in his throat since he'd die if he digested it. The blue neck is called 'Neelkantha'.

meizzwang

Excellent smoke report ??. Thanks!
How is it in growth and effect compared to Manipuri?

thank you Plantguy, and you're welcome!

Growthwise, it's very similar to manipuri, except I'd say kerala likes to produce side branches even as a small seedling and even when not topped. Manipuri also produces side branches, but requires more topping to encourage it. I think that's why Kerala forms a xmas tree shape, whereas manipuri is more "stick shaped" when not pruned.

Edit: found the smoke report I did on manipuri a while back, scroll down the post: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=307351&page=21 One thing that wasn't mentioned is how smooth the smoke is when smoking buds, but maybe that's from a long cure? I don't remember my first grow having such smooth smoke, hard to say....

Last edited:

Plantguy

Thanks for the info!
I saw you said Kerala finished outdoors pnw (I'm this locale too) early Nov but I seem to recall Manipuri was much later. Is that correct? Did you get a purple Manipuri? I have the Mani freebies going outside, seems some are quite compact and closely beached and some going pole-like.

ngakpa

Veteran
I think that's why Kerala forms a xmas tree shape, whereas manipuri is more "stick shaped" when not pruned.

don't recall any single-stem plants, if that's what you mean

only ever saw Christmas-tree shaped plants in the fields in Manipur

ngakpa

Veteran
Thanks for the info!
I saw you said Kerala finished outdoors pnw (I'm this locale too) early Nov but I seem to recall Manipuri was much later. Is that correct? Did you get a purple Manipuri? I have the Mani freebies going outside, seems some are quite compact and closely beached and some going pole-like.

there's variation within any population

tropical landraces are typically 6 months from seed to harvest, with earlier variants toward the 5-month side

within the population of any landrace, you will find some plants are earlier, some later

in the 2015 Manipuri accession, one plant was ready outdoors in Oregon by the last days of November

but most Manipuri plants were later, e.g. needed a heated greenhouse to finish in Spain during Dec

Kerala will be the same picture:

Most plants will need till Dec or Jan, but some exceptionally early individuals such as Green or Meizzwang found will be closer to the 5 month seed to harvest end of the spectrum

Latest posts

Latest posts