What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Kentucky/Ohio Valley growers...

G

Guest 2535

Yo subversive - Im on it! I started this weekend seperating out what I can make hash from.. the mold is so damn pervasive that I was only able to save MAYBE 50% of the plant material, the rest was eaten alive.. oh well.. next year I will DEFINATELY need a more acclimated strain to my conditions outside, these plants were all just indoor varieties.. so I didnt expect perfection.

Hey Sloppy, you can still make hash out of that moldy bud usin' iso or butane! You can even "re-run" your bubble leftovers to squeeze out every morsel of thc.

I've noticed that we have slowed down our posting. I assume it's because harvest has come in & everyone is more interested in actually smoking instead of talking about smoking. That's the case here anyhow - I've been stoned for a straight month it seems. You gotta love that Skunk!

So, since outdoor's done for the year it's time to start on the indoor growin'! I actually went against all y'all's advice & started some bag seed. I've already made clones - it's a girl. I'm gonna see how she turns out before tryin' to cross her, that & I don't know what to cross her with yet. Maybe some Northern Lights.

Anyway, how'd harvest go for everyone & what's up now?

G

Guest 2535

Well I made a little bit of bubble and a little bit of butane hash with my moldy crop.. The bubble was grand, but the butane had that "taste" that chem extracts always do. Im already planning for outside next year, got a new plot of land picked out and Im working on getting some proper outside strains. Can anyone recommend anything for the central ohio area? There is some strain around here that is acclimated to this area called "Punkinhead".. Im trying to get that.. but anyone else have any other ideas?

As for indoor.. gettin some new genes there too. working with a buddy on Cannalope Haze, HOG, and Silver pearl.

Dr.Feelgood

Indiana, here. Haven't tried any bud from KY or the Ohio Valley. Would like to, sometime, though. :D

Nice Steely lyrics in your sig, JACKBAYBEH.

G

Well I finally gave up doing anything outdoors about 4 years ago. Rippers, cops, weather, & animals finally forced me indoors. I do have several bros that still do the outdoor scene, & they had some major bud rot last year . We're working on a Sour Diesel x C99 hybrid that may add some variety to the local strains . I hope it will finish by mid October & have better mold resistance. The few Chocolate Trip x Sour Diesel clones that went outside were decent yielders & top shelf smoke.

aeric

Veteran
I'm in one of the states mentioned, lived in a few of the others. Anyone know about the piney, light green stuff that comes around Nov.,Dec.? Anyone know where it comes from or the name? Found just a few seeds in it once and of course they were herm.

Dr Feelgood: my respect for Carl Sagan just went up even more.

B

baccas125

I always forget about this thread im am now a subscriber!!! Check out the chat room for a few local growers and there real time grow reports and help!!!!!!!

guineapig

Veteran
does Ohio Valley have a long and proud history of growing hemp like KY does?

is the soil and the weather similar to Kentucky also?

gp

G

Hiya Guineapig,
Yes , the Ohio Valley is blessed with good soil & decent weather. Meigs County Gold was legendary back in the days. In more recent times it appears that through cross pollination, genetic drift etc... that the quality has declined. This is sad , as this area did produce some fine cannabis.
I am old enough to remember a strain called Kentucky Creeper, from the early 70's. I realize now that it was probably was a Central/South American sativa crossed with some type of indica which allowed it to finish in northern Kentucky.Gold/green buds with little trichome coverage, but mind-blowing nonetheless.
Most of the old growers are fading into the twilight & the majority of the younger crowd is into production at the cost of quality. I still keep in touch with some pals in the Southern Grohio/ northern Kentucky area & hope to see a better product due to the availability of better genetics.
Plans are in the works for some Sour Diesel x C99, & Sour Diesel x Apollo13 beans for some pals to run outdoors. Chocolate Trip x Sour Diesel was a mind blower , but it was very limited . Only 6 clones were grown outdoors & they were kept by the grower as personal stash.
Botrytis was also a problem last year as I understand it . Lots of big buds molding due to high humidity levels. Hopefully this year will be a good one for my pals in that area.

Last edited:

aeric

Veteran
Yeah mold was a big problem last year. One nice thing about Ohio growing that most people not from around there don't know is that the laws are a little more lenient, and simple posession is practically decriminalized.

GP: Southeastern OH, northwestern WV and northern KY are basically in the same weather zone and terrain on the edge of the Appalachian hills. South of Canton is the start of that weather zone, away from the worst of northern Ohio's "lake effect" early snow and heavy rain.

It would be nice though if after the 'product' got through a few hands...people would still know the name of it. Nothing around there has a name unless it is completely fresh, indoor, KB. When I ask for a name people look at me like I'm from another planet.

alGrenDh

Displaced Buckeye here and all this talk of quality buds and fertile land is making me homesick. I even miss the snow!

G

Any one been to Burr Oak / Muskingum River
near Mc Connelsville?
(lot's of outdoor Growing room :wink: )

The rolling hills of southern OH is a real beautiful spot in the US and OH /

Last edited:

shiftfoot

Aint that the truth hilljack.We just don't have the freerain we did in the late 70's to do the big crops.Although I did spot a couple nice lookin wash's while out ridin the bike yesterday in that sweat weather we had

B

baccas125

There sure is some fertile soil her in the east side of the river!!!! :woohoo:

Hey no where man i have two friends that went to scholl at Muskingum University. Yes this place is saturated with good genatics and liberal growing laws. Round on the sides and HI in the middle.