What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ken's Grand Daddy Purple

stasis

Registered Non-Conformist
Veteran
"" ken's gdp is not bigbud x urkle """ No, but the original cut is.

It was one of the best all-around cuts in Mendo. Color, flavor, buzz. All but great yield. haha - - - Here it is, GDP Clone-only...

Contrast the two small buds here - they are the original Erkle cut, next to the original Chemdog. Also in Mendo, mid aughts.

JointOperation

i think if your not happy with the products your buying.. grow your own then lol.. why settle for less.

ive gotten some amazing kens. so iuno .. this is why i hope dispensaries do not open over here.

Psi Haze

I grew the nor-cal clone of Kens GDP, twice. I grew it 1 indoor cycle about 8 years ago and 1 indoor + outdoor cycle last year, both were exactly the same, same clone. The Kens GDP clone does not go purple without low temps. Also, the story behind it was kinda shady too. I remember Ken saying that it; "was unknown and came from a Blackfoot Indian", "a champagne kush hybrid", "a urkle x bigbud hybrid", ect... I also remember hearing how Ken and his grower associate had a downfall and the "grower", (not Ken), made off with most of the genetics.

Anyway, this is Ken's GDP clone with nights in the 40s-50s(f), a small-potted outdoor test run. It is decent but I don't like the taste (not so sweet) and there are better purple strains that I am working with.

picture.php
picture.php

pS, I think people are confusing the Ken's GDP with Mendo "The Purps".. Mendo "The Purps" IS an Urkle hybrid and some of the sweetest grape-tasting cannabis you can imagine.

Psi Haze

Bah, can't edit my last post.. Thought I would include a picture of my Mendo "The Purps" x Psi Haze hybrid. :D Ken's GDP can get a little darker than Mendo "The Purps" but I would choose the purps any day over Ken's GDP just because of the taste, they both purple in low temps..

picture.php

picture.php

Wendull C.

Veteran
That pic of the urkle made me smell the redwoods and camping with the crew on the Eel river.
The gdp "not kens fwiw" never held a candle to the real urkle in taste and high. That is mho though. But I heard somewhere the yield and flower time got better.
Nice pics Stasis.

R

Raw_Dog

Urkle "puts on" very well if grown properly. She likes heavy food and light. We used to get a better response in veg using Miracle Grow. That green powdery sand like product that you use as food, and use some calmag and some additional amendments, Urkle will then grow like a beast. I just got her back and about to give her her own space. She does very well when vegged for 6-8 weeks. I love those super dense branches with 7-10gram arms, 30-35 arms a plant. Lol. "Okay", she doesn't yield...

Wendull C.

Veteran
I can't seem to find the erkle, at least the real one I got for a bit. My boy says to just drive up but damn that's a long drive.
Fwiw I didn't say she doesn't yield just the big bud in the gdp made it yield better and lowered the flower time. You are lucky to have her Raw Dog.

stasis

Veteran
"""" pS, I think people are confusing the Ken's GDP with Mendo "The Purps".. Mendo "The Purps" IS an Urkle hybrid and some of the sweetest grape-tasting cannabis you can imagine.""""

The "Purps" is not erkle, it came out way before Erkle did. Nor does the purps have the flavor of the Erkle.

In addition, the GDP clone does not need chilly temps to turn purple, but it is a rainbow bud, not entirely purp, like the erkle is.

It would be gratifying if people would get their info straight before making claims about genetics.

People are mistaking the pure GDP clone that I pictured above with "Kens GDP."

He added something to the clone-only version. It is called Champagne. A decent cut.

Psi Haze

bah, cant edit... now that I think about it, all of my purples turned way "more purple" and danker than yours, stasis. :D

Did you get that from a cannabis club or your own backyard? I would say, "good job" on you little nuggets but that in no way qualifies you IMO as being an alpha on the subject.

Here is one of my purples, its the Mendo "The Purps" hybrid.. Tastes and smells like the sweetest grape candy.. yielded about 1lb.. Buds are marbled purple, pictures above too.. what u smoking?

picture.php

stasis

Veteran
hahahaha.... just bleeding with hypocrisy.

That means nothing. It is genetics. Get over yourself, hotshot.

I am also bleeding with personal experience with the genetics discussed, in the area they originated. Being a mindless hater will not get any respect, and will also court failures on all levels. Grow up. When someone has the info, pay attention, or wallow in your ignorance for all to see. Well done.

TheRealHash

Horticultural enthusiast
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I got 'the purps' original, came straight from Mendocino,
what's the dif between purps and urkle?

stasis

Veteran
Bag of Erkle.

Purps was earlier. It is a different hybrid. Tasted a bit skunkier as opposed to grapey like the Urkle line. GDP clone only has also a skunky tinge to it, and does not turn as purple, but has rainbow coloring which is amazing. Unforch many people for a while up north called everything purple "Purps." But Purps is the name of a strain, not what cha call any purple bud. It all got mixed up. Happens a lot.

TheRealHash

Horticultural enthusiast
ICMag Donor
Veteran
My 'Purps' stays pretty green unless it gets cold, my club connect calls it 'mendo kush' because patients keep saying "it's not even purple man-"

My 'Purps" also has a complex taste nearly impossible to describe, sweet, skunky, grapey.. and that description falls short of smelling or tasting it. It is by far the tastiest variety I've smoked

Psi Haze

I got 'the purps' original, came straight from Mendocino,
what's the dif between purps and urkle?

It's true, Mendo "The Purps" will not purple without low temps, neither will Ken's GDP. This is the same as most purples with the exception of a few, Purple Urkle is an exception and it will get dark with temps in the 60s-70s. The Mendo Purps gets bigger, grows faster, and tastes better than the Urkle, but the color is no where the same. The Urkle is MUCH darker. It is possible that I got an Urkle x BlueBerry hybrid from Dark Heart a decade ago, I do taste both the Urkle AND the BlueBerry. If I had to guess, I would say that Dark Hearts Mendo "The Purps" is an Urkle x BlueBerry.

BTW, I got my Mendo Purps clone from Dark Heart Nurs about 10 years ago. At the same time, I also got a clone of Kens GDP, (they just called it GDP), and it was exactly the same as the Ken's GDP I grew last year from another source.. These are the same GDP clones being passed around and let me tell you, the Kens GDP is what the beginner growers want. It gets a little dark with low temps, easy to grow/clone, yield is ok, THC is good, ect..

anyway, don't worry about that guy trying to insult me, I just put him on ignore because he has no idea what he is talking about, just run's his mouth and I don't care. :)

..Also, here in NorCal we call it, "Purple Urkle", not "Erkle"..

Psi Haze

My 'Purps' stays pretty green unless it gets cold, my club connect calls it 'mendo kush' because patients keep saying "it's not even purple man-"

My 'Purps" also has a complex taste nearly impossible to describe, sweet, skunky, grapey.. and that description falls short of smelling or tasting it. It is by far the tastiest variety I've smoked

I agree..

Btw, what the hell is Erkle? never heard of that before.. Been growing up here in NorCal for almost 20 years, seen them all. :rasta:

TheRealHash

Horticultural enthusiast
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I was told Erkle or Urkle was just The Purps renamed (name game)-

It may well be a different hybrid though, I have no idea

TheRealHash

Horticultural enthusiast
ICMag Donor
Veteran
anyway, don't worry about that guy trying to insult me, I just put him on ignore because he has no idea what he is talking about, just run's his mouth and I don't care. :)

..Also, here in NorCal we call it, "Purple Urkle", not "Erkle"..

You both could be more polite to each other, and he is right.

Erkle and Urkle are just two spellings-

pS, I think people are confusing the Ken's GDP with Mendo "The Purps".. Mendo "The Purps" IS an Urkle hybrid and some of the sweetest grape-tasting cannabis you can imagine.

The Purps is the original not the other way around

Last edited:

Psi Haze

"" ken's gdp is not bigbud x urkle """ No, but the original cut is.

It was one of the best all-around cuts in Mendo. Color, flavor, buzz. All but great yield. haha - - - Here it is, GDP Clone-only...

View Image

Contrast the two small buds here - they are the original Erkle cut, next to the original Chemdog. Also in Mendo, mid aughts.

Seriously, Stasis.. Are you pulling picts off the internet and calling them yourown... shame on you..

http://icysurfer.typepad.com/.a/6a0120a81298ae970b01a3fd393d15970b-pi

Latest posts

Latest posts