What's new

Keep my see 1k hps or switch to cmh???

sturgeongeneral

Veteran
16 days on the cocos. Here's 2 ecsd
picture.php

2 arcata Trainwreck
picture.php

I'll have a final number on the glue yield soon. It's looking good so far.

sturgeongeneral

Veteran
So final weight on the glue tray is 721grams. That's 1.14gpw. I'd say it definitely compares to the 1k yield wise. I'm pretty happy with it. The nugs came out a little darker and different smelling g but the quality is still excellent.

sturgeongeneral

Veteran
1.5 to 2lb. Strain dependent. Cookies like 1ish. Usually on glue it's 1.5 ish so it was about what my 1k does but with less watts.

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
Those are great numbers on the yield but I think it's tough to correlate the yields directly to the light fixtures or type in your system as it is pretty exceptional to start with.

You are totally blasting your 3x3s with 70 watts per square foot with the 630s and 111 watts per foot with the thousands! That's as high as I've seen and you are running what appears to be the best yielding hydro IMO, high plant counts in rock wool.

Your results might have as much to do with packing in 2-1/2 plants per square foot of canopy as they do with the super high light intensity.

Regardless it seems like the light switch will be a good way to save on energy.

I'd like to see what you pull with one of these $89 500 watt led panels over one of your trays, I have their 100 and 300 panels in my veg and I'm going to spring for the 500 next and flower under it to see what's up.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078HLM918/

sturgeongeneral

Veteran
I know with the 1k I do get a similar yield with a similar plant count, but this light met the yield with a lower wattage. Meeting the yield while cutting electricity costs and load while not sacrificing quality was my goal and it was accomplished.
I ran a bigeye 8 440w led over a tray of glue a couple summers ago and it did bad. Only got 9oz out of the 3x3. Quality was excellent but yield was terrible.

Dirt Bag

We ran a tray under a KIND 600 LED and also had rather unsatisfactory results. The top colas directly under the light were excellent quality, the rest was larfy.

sturgeongeneral

Veteran
Here was the final product from my previous led tray. Quality was excellent. Yield sucked. I'd need 2 of these LEDs to cover my whole tray. Intensity was good for the first foot. After that it dropped off.
picture.php
picture.php

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
Can you smell or taste the difference on the CMH buds from your HPS?
Are they greasier or more sticky to you?

How about from the forum cut you had under the last run?

Dog Star

Veteran
I guess Chunky refers to type of resin... there is sticky ones and there is those greasy
when your fingers more slides off each other.. or sticky one that instantly glue your
fingers..

Dirt Bag

I guess Chunky refers to type of resin... there is sticky ones and there is those greasy
when your fingers more slides off each other.. or sticky one that instantly glue your
fingers..

Guess I've never had any greasy weed. All I know is the sticky kind.

sturgeongeneral

Veteran
The cmh did make the glue seem stickier. I can run my hand through the pile and my fingers are stuck. The only differences I've noticed is the smell it's a lot louder than normal and it's a different sour smell. On the cmh forum nugs, the cmh one came out frostier and tasted just a tad more flavorful. Could be because it got some hps light and wasn't 100%under cmh the entire time. Yield wise it gave me 10g more than just the hps.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
There are absolutely different types of trichomes. Some are greasy. They smear and smudge easier. They rub into you hands and leave an oily feeling. Some are sticky. They standard clump of nugs and tacky feeling on fingers. Others are sandy. They are harder, don't really get oily or sticky on touch, but if left to warm up a bit, will ball up and make very dense hash and excellent extracts. I've found sandy resin glands to be the least common. Also worthy of note, different plants produce different sized glandular trichome heads, with sativa glands generally being smaller than indica glands.

dank.Frank

beanja

I find some diesel hybrids are greasy .. like when you touch a flower and rub your fingers and they slide like slippery grease not stick ... kapeesh ?

beanja

Ive been an electrician for 15 yrs and came across alot of 400 watt clear mercury vapor lamps at one point and mercury vapor grows much more potent weed then anything i have ever used before . I believe they throw out alot more UV light and i used them bare bulb anf they used to grow plants with crazy potency . Nothing Hps or MH or led or lec could compare too ... just saying

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
one of these $89 500 watt led panels, I have their 100 and 300 panels in my veg and I'm going to spring for the 500 next and flower under it to see what's up.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078HLM918/

Im curious to see how this does, thats cheap for 500 watts actual draw led.

Here is the spectrum of that light vs chlorophyll absorption:
(chlorophyll b is the accessory pigment to chlorophyll a)

picture.php

I ran a bigeye 8 440w led over a tray of glue a couple summers ago and it did bad. Only got 9oz out of the 3x3. Quality was excellent but yield was terrible. I'd need 2 of these LEDs to cover my whole tray. Intensity was good for the first foot. After that it dropped off.

Got info on the specs and spectrum or link to the one you used? What Im finding seems less than ideal for growing.

We ran a tray under a KIND 600 LED and also had rather unsatisfactory results. The top colas directly under the light were excellent quality, the rest was larfy.

What was your yield weight? It does only pull 320 actual watts from the wall...
The kind 600 led has a great spectrum, but its coverage is shit as shown on its amazon page:

picture.php

picture.php

The PPFD coverage shows that at 30 inch recommended height above canopy it only produces enough light for good growth in a 1x2 area (light purple area). Cannabis needs around 500PPFD minimum to be productive in my opinion.

There are environmental differences that need to be accounted for as well switching from HID to LED in regard to leaf surface temperature interaction with spectrum change. Plant are more cold blooded under good spectrum led and like a warmer environment. Alot of those amazon panels focus the intensity in a small area, DIY allows better spread of the light source and more angles of light hitting the plants.

sturgeongeneral

Veteran
Here's the eBay item number to the one I had. I was a bigeye 8. I quit using it mid second run because half the boards burned out. 302549526075