What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Keep my see 1k hps or switch to cmh???

sturgeongeneral

Veteran
I probably could go to 4x4 trays but that'd be another expense and then I'd have to try to sneak those into the spot. I'll have to look into the reflector orientation.

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
Yeah 4x4 takes a truck to move or a van, I'd build it from lumber, angle brackets and line with a few layers of six mil film then.

My vert rig was built with wood cut at Home Depot small enough to move it with a car and all lined with film to move the run off.

It just seems like everyone is lighting a 4x4 or better with the 630s.

I have my 1000 and 630 covering 6x9 now and time will tell if I got the watts or what...

You see any added density or less from the CMH on that glue? Wondering if you'll dig the new terp profile.

sturgeongeneral

Veteran
So far from the glue the density seems about normal. They're not rock hard like how the forum gets but they're pretty solid. Still doesn't smell like glue though which is kinda throwing me off. Never knew just a light would alter the whole smell of something so stanky. It's more of a sweet stank now.

Dirt Bag

Our two 630s are due to arrive tomorrow and are going above a 4 x 8, replacing three 1000w (HPS, MH, HPS). Initially two (HPS HPS), but was getting what I describe as airy buds and foxtails with temperatures well within the accepted range. So I attributed it to too much red (as the plants I've grown under MH have been much more dense), moved the HPS apart and added a MH for blue. Butit didn't make much if any difference. We now are convinced that the 1ks are simply too powerful for our environment. At the very worst, we can add a 1k back into the middle if necessary, but yours and Isaaks success leaves little room for doubt.

sturgeongeneral

Veteran
I'm not counting mine as a success until I get my yield numbers. Idk how well the yield will be. If it's well over a p then I'll be happy. Normally on a tray like this of glue i'm 24 z ish under the 1k.

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
If yeild is the main factor I bet the old 1000 wins in your set up, but I really prefer the flavor and effects of the blue light myself.

I hope the investment in the new gear pays off though for you, I'm doing it to save money on electric and hopefully improve my meds.

I smoked a lot of a friends CMH grown in mass and loved it like I do my MH grown, but last night was the first night of flower for me with the CMH.:woohoo:

Soon as I get a computer again I'm gonna do a tread on it, can't post pictures from this POS tablet I'm using....

Dirt Bag

If yeild is the main factor I bet the old 1000 wins in your set up, but I really prefer the flavor and effects of the blue light myself.

I hope the investment in the new gear pays off though for you, I'm doing it to save money on electric and hopefully improve my meds.

I smoked a lot of a friends CMH grown in mass and loved it like I do my MH grown, but last night was the first night of flower for me with the CMH.:woohoo:

Soon as I get a computer again I'm gonna do a tread on it, can't post pictures from this POS tablet I'm using....

I know the world says HPS, but the best buds I've ever seen grew in a 5 gallon bucket of soil, from start to finish, in a 2' x 2' x 4' box, under a 400w MH parking lot light fixture.
All of our buds, though tasty, are not what anyone would refer to as nugs. Buds? Yeah, they're buds. But very light. Less knowledgeable clients love the "huge" counts, but it's just fluffy. I prefer pinecone-like nugs that crack when you bust 'em.
I'm convinced that CMH is the answer we're looking for. Wil know soon enough. 😁

sturgeongeneral

Veteran
I know hps probably wins in the yield Dept but I'm trying to increase overall production while cutting costs over time. I think by switching to cmh I can run more for less. Quality wise I'd say it's on par if not better than what I normally do with hps. Nug size is slightly smaller but still solid, so I hope by being able to run 2 trays for 1260 watts compared to 1 tray at 1000 watts it'll make my room more efficient and consistent. Also temp wise with 2 lights running I'm at 80 degrees compared to the upper 80s low 90s if I had 2k going.

Shalako

I'm not counting mine as a success until I get my yield numbers. Idk how well the yield will be. If it's well over a p then I'll be happy. Normally on a tray like this of glue i'm 24 z ish under the 1k.

Yeilds will be strain dependent from what I am seeing...ran a room with a 5 different strains and 2 strains with 2 pheno's and I know which ones are going to produce well with CMH. :tiphat:

sturgeongeneral

Veteran
Ya, that's kind why I threw all them random cocos in under the 2nd cmh. 2 ecsd, 2 gg4, 2 trainwrecks, 2gt3 and 1 blueberry. But usually the glue yields good. That's why I used it for the first run.

sturgeongeneral

Veteran
What's the point of running a cmh all the way through to see the final result then? Id have to hang another light up and risk it potentially being dropped on a tray that's less than 10 days out. It's too late to switch back to hps and have any sort of noticeable gain and really, I'm happy with the results of the cmh. If I wasn't, I wouldn't have bought another....

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Glad to hear you come to that conclusion, Sturgeon. I'm still on the fence waiting for things to veg up. Nervously anticipating the results of the 315 investment. The trichome field density that I see with CMH is the one thing that really made me pull the trigger. After all, cannabis flowers are just the messenger, resin is the message.

dank.Frank

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
as far as i understand it, from reading up a bit recently, you need a couple of these 315 cmh lights working together to really replace a 600 hps light source. i planning to replace 2 hps 600's with 3 x 315cmh units. 1 by it's self will not replace a 600, obviously. once you have 2 or 3 of them you will get exponentially better results, then the gpw from 1, i imagine

sturgeongeneral

Veteran
I would imagine that the people hitting 1gpw with these lights are running multiple lights over an area and then taking their total yield and total wattage to achieve that 1gpw. Unless they're getting 315 g out of a 315 light, which I'm sure is a possibility with a longer veg and scrog or vertical setup...also from my understanding, the 315s are supposed to be compareable to the 600s and 630s closer to 1ks. That's why I went 630s to try to maintain a similar quantity and increase quality. I'll know how that pans out soon....

p0opstlnksal0t

I'm interested to see your results versus a 1kw DE I've seen quite a bit of flour now up here in Maine grown under 315 CMH and maybe it's just the way they are growing it but the nugs appear smaller and not as dense as my 1 KW d e s. I've compared at least three or four exact same strains where I've gotten cuts from a friend that's growing under 315s and the nug density in size is just not the same

sturgeongeneral

Veteran
So far, density wise, they seem just as solid to me as with my se 1k with hortilux. Size wise they are a little bit smaller. I'm hoping the yield will be pretty close though.

sturgeongeneral

Veteran
Here's some shots at 62 days. It's flushing and even though it's almost ready, I'm going to let it go full term to 70.
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

gr866

Veteran
I don't know if what I'm looking at running is a de or not. Its a sunsystem 630 lec. Or a nanolux cmh630, whatever's gonna be more cost effective.id like to stack a few 1000s in a room but the wiring wouldn't support it. My rooms 9 x6x7

Have you considered vertical growing?