What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Kalyx - Goji OG Grow Log - First Summer Newbie Bud Contest

Kalyx

Day 42 Update.

On Monday 7/7 through 7/11 hours were cut back from 18/6 to 12/12.

The first official day the plants were under 12/12 was 7/11, as of this update the plants have been under 12/12 for 3 days.

While this has been an exciting week with the explosion of growth these plants have show, today was a sad day.

3 out of 4 Goji Og have grown sets of balls and were cut down today.

Goji #1 #2 #4 were cut down today. Was very sad they were all getting very bushy, 2 of them had grown 4 tops after being topped which was more depressing.

These are the 3 males #1, #2, and #4 right before they were culled.

picture.php

That leaves me with 1 remaining Goji Og, this is very depressing out of all the current strains growing these 4 had me the most excited. It was very deflating to see 3 sets of balls on the biggest and bushiest of them.

I'm really hoping that this one will be female so I can have atleast one pheno to flower.

Goji Og #3

picture.php

Giving close inspection to #3 I was given a ray of hope, showing me she might be a female. That sure appears to be a white hair coming from the node where the plant was topped.

picture.php

However, I also discovered this leaving me a little perplexed at this point in time. Please tell me that isn't some balls its growing?

picture.php

picture.php

I guess patience is key here and time will tell whether its a girl or not. There is a white hair growing from one of those nodes, these other growths have me worried though. I think since I just cut down so many males today (5 in total) it just has me paranoid and bummed.

If this Goji #3 turns out to be a male I guess that my Summer Newbie Grow Contest will be over before it really got going.

If that does happen perhaps I will be allowed to switch the log over to another of the strains I'm currently growing. Of course, thats assuming I get some females from those lol.

A sad day indeed for the 3rd official day of flowering, stay tuned for more updates this week.

Peton

Im feeling with you.. I put my best wishes that the one left will turn into a lady, and a good one to!

Critter

Think for yourself, question authority
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Damn I would have let them go a little longer to show for sure. I had a Goji looklike it was starting to throw clusters but aweek latter all those that showed early looking males parts were female all along, You got em this far whats a week wait to be sure, early topping can stress some male looking parts too, Just saying....

BayBHuey

La Vida Loca
@Kaylx, sorry to hear about the males. :frown: But I looked at your pics and from what I can see, I see nothing but female.
To be sure, do you have a loupe or magnifying glass? To have a better look?

BayBHuey

Kalyx

Thanks for the replies all.

@Locoezon thanks got my fingers crossed the last one will be a female pretty sure she will be, just a little doubt after all the males.

@Peton I appreciate the good wishes hopefully she will be a she and a marvelously potent stinky one at that.

@Critter I could have given them longer after topping to start flower, I did give them 8 days from when topped until the light cycle started cutting down to 12/12. In the past I have never had issues starting flower a week after topping, could always stress the plants though. Wasn't sure how many males/females I would have so did keep the plants smaller than I normally would have due to floor space and only topped them once. Of course its possible it was some sort of stress on the plants but the amount of balls the plants had I highly doubt they were anything but males. I didn't chop plants after seeing one or a couple pollen sacks. The plants that I did cut had pollen sacks at every single internode and on the majority of their top branches. The plant with the fewest balls on it still had minimum of 10 sacks while the Goji #1 had probably well over 30 sacs. In my experiences I have never seen a plant put out that many nuts and not be a male. I would be very upset if I chopped those plants too early and one of them did turn out to be a female. Is it possible for a plant to put out that many balls and not be a male or herm? I have never heard of herm issues with the Goji, and other than topping the plants really haven't been stressed.

@BayBHuey Thanks man I do appreciate it, pulling plants is always a bummer just part of it though. Im pretty sure she is a female also. I have never seen a male plant produce hairs, so think I'm good there just have that doubt in the back of my mind after all the males. I did have a jewelers loupe, but it appears that I have lost it or misplaced it in the years since my last grown and numerous moves that have been made. It is actually on my list of things to do this week though, all I have currently is a magnify app on a smart phone. It works ok thats how I was able to get the close up shots. Not as good as a loupe though, will need one of those by chop time anyways.

Kalyx

UPDATE 7/20 Day 49 Flower Day 9

The Newbie Summer Bud Contest will continue for me through the flowering phase. She has really started to blow up and sprouting beautiful white hairs all over.

She has really exploded with her stretching I'm really loving her structure. I feel she hasn't finished getting large yet though.

All of these pictures were taken on 7/20.

Goji OG #3 (my only female out of 4, hope I get lucky with some fire)

All pics of Goji #3 just wanted to show her off from all her sexy angles.

picture.php

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

RandomMan

I Build Things
ICMag Donor
She looks great. Hopefully she smokes as nicely as she looks! Fat ole leaves! How is she smellin'?

Kalyx

RandomMan - Thanks buddy, fat leaves indeed, I think she will make me very happy with her quality, at least I'm very hopeful. In terms of smell, she is probably gives off the most stink in the garden, its just a lemony skunk straight funk.

pedrero - I wanted to make f2's originally on this run with everything I was able to. Ran in to some issues with our space flowering males, it just isn't ready, funds were placed towards other parts of the grow. Will not be able to make any seeds on this run, it makes me sad but this is life. Still have Goji beans f2's will be made from them.

Kalyx

UPDATE 7/27 Day 56, Flower Day 16

Goji Og #3

picture.php

She is looking great stretching has really started to slow down near end of the week and she appears to be about done.
Was a good 300% I would say she is standing near 3 ft.

picture.php

Hairs have really started exploding all over the place and so has her stink.
Very skunky with a lemon funk to it, out of 6 plants flowering right now she has the strongest odor.

picture.php

She is by far my favorite plant in the garden right now.
Really wish I had more than one female to better explore phenos.

picture.php

I just love her structure, leaves, vigor and smell.
I hope she continues to not dissappoint.

picture.php

More updates coming next week.

Kalyx

UPDATE 7/27 Day 56, Flower Day 16

Goji Og #3

picture.php

She is looking great stretching has really started to slow down near end of the week and she appears to be about done.
Was a good 300% I would say she is standing near 3 ft.

picture.php

Hairs have really started exploding all over the place and so has her stink.
Very skunky with a lemon funk to it, out of 6 plants flowering right now she has the strongest odor.

picture.php

She is by far my favorite plant in the garden right now.
Really wish I had more than one female to better explore phenos.

picture.php

I just love her structure, leaves, vigor and smell.
I hope she continues to not dissappoint.

picture.php

RandomMan

I Build Things
ICMag Donor
She's looking great man. I know you have a lot going on, quite impressed with her development. Dang Cleetus! Check out the branches on that monster. I hope she tastes as good as she looks.

Green vibes to your continual success!

Kalyx

Update 8/3 - Day 63 - Flower Day 23

Goji Og #3

8/3 She was given a thick top layer of earthworm castings. She was also given a new layer of diatomaceous earth, the warm summer weather, especially with the moisture the past couple weeks has brought gnats in the house. Bugs drive me crazy and don't want them getting in the soil.

picture.php

She has stopped stretching don't see her growing any taller.
The buds are really starting to fill in and develop nicely over the past week.

picture.php

Just really love her structure, smell and the shape of her leaves.
She is my favorite plant in the garden with Fuzz #3 in a close second.
I don't think she will be the largest yielder of the group but time will tell.
She looks like she will be able to put on some good weight, I doubt she will disappoint in that department.
Yield isn't a concern though, I want her tasty and potent thats what matters, a decent yield would just be a bonus

picture.php

She has lost a lot of her skunky og funk she had been flaunting the previous few weeks.
It is still there on the back end but mainly dominated by an almost milky or creamy smell with hints of berries.
Still the biggest stinker in the garden its a very unique smell that is just lovely.

picture.php

As the buds keep growing and developing her smell has obviously gotten a lot stronger.
This is also the first week where crystals have begun popping up.
She is really starting to get a nice frosting, getting antsy to see the frost and bud development continue.

picture.php

pedrero

they are all beautifull man
i´m loving to grow this strain, really amazing aromas.
i wish to run a full pack, i hope with the polinization i can get a couple more slightly different phenos
best vibes bro!

Kalyx

@staggarlee - Nice I hope you end up with 3 nice female phenos. Do you have a log you running would love to pull up a seat?

@pedrero - Thank you for the kind words, I am really loving this grow, the Goji's have been my favorite plants throughout which is why I did this contest log specifically on the Goji.

I still have 8 beans left and initially wanted to make f2's space wise just didn't work out. I will be making F2's in the future no doubt, including buying more packs of the Goji. This is the type of strain I'm really interested in exploring to see what I can find.

Have had a lot of fun with this plant and the real fun is just starting. With all the other reports and logs people have of this sexy cross, there is just too much magic not to play around with more Goji beans. The aromas with her have been the strongest and so unique absolutely loving it cant wait to see how her terps progress.

Keep me posted with your full pack run, would love to take a seat when you get to that.

@BayBHuey - Thank you for the compliments!

Im glad you are finding it eye candy as well, I notice I have been spending less time watching tv and more time watching my garden the past 2 weeks lol.

I will have some more eye candy for you next week, just updated the entire grows log there is some nice eye candy over there. I'm loving the Fuzz #3 almost as much as the Goji #3. :biggrin:

thunderdrum

Looking good. I am running five different phenotypes but only one is a keeper in smell. The other four are very mild with hints of berry and vanilla cream flavors. But the keeper is very dank og smell. Most really sprout after going to 12/12....

Latest posts

Latest posts