What's new

Just bought me an old guitar...

Gangabiss

free your SELF
Veteran
How does one learn to play slide? Can I use my electric or will it mangle up the fretboard?

I've tried before by using random metal things and sliding them up and down the strings but I usually end up making a terrible noise.

I've got a strat copy btw.

2113DSCF0016-med.JPG

James Morrison

~*MR.MOJORISIN*~
Hey good luck with the guitar

been playin for years..goty a custom made electric and a couple accoustics, have had ibanez to strats in the past...been really into bluegrass as of late..hittin the mandoline and banjo

Tonight im gonna snag this cool little portable amp by Vox...it has all these effects and stuff and sounds great....

EM_VOX-DA5.gif

Great sounding effects.
The versatility extends to a full complement of 11 digital effects. The DA5 features auto-wah, chorus + delay, chorus + reverb, compressor, compressor + chorus, compressor + phaser, delay, flanger + reverb, reverb, rotary + reverb, and tremolo + reverb. There's also a Tap Button that makes it easy to set the delay time or modulation speed.

Play it anywhere!
The ingenious DA5 can be powered by its AC adapter or by six C batteries. A built-in output power switch (5W, 1.5W, 0.5W) helps extend battery life and lets you play at lower volume without losing any tone or feel.

That's not the only trick the clever DA5 has ups its sleeve. Connect an external audio device such as a CD or MP3 player to the DA5's AUX IN, plug a mic into the MIC INPUT, plug your guitar in, and you can play and sing along with your favorite band or recording!

Great for practicing and recording.
The DA5 is equipped with a combination Line/Headphone output so you can connect to a headphone, mixer or recorder. The amp's emulated line out provides a full, realistic sound whether you're recording direct or listening through headphones. And since plugging into the jack defeats the speaker output, you can practice when you want, where you want, and as loud as you want in total privacy.

mtnjohn

Veteran
Gangabiss said:
How does one learn to play slide? Can I use my electric or will it mangle up the fretboard?

I've tried before by using random metal things and sliding them up and down the strings but I usually end up making a terrible noise.

I've got a strat copy btw.

2113DSCF0016-med.JPG

to play slide..i would say that you must have some idea of chord formations
and how they will relate to the slide technique

also, you dont want to press the slide to the fretboard ..just to the strings
and you mute by laying your finger on the stirngs just behind the slide

as far as being easy on the guitar/strings...open d or g is cool
mj

H

Hal

and to add to what MtnJohn said, I think it is customary to adjust the action so that it is on the high side, this helps in preventing the strings from hitting the frets.

That is one nice thing about playing slide, you don't need a nice guitar that is structurally perfect, a guitar with some neck bow or other condition that causes high action is just fine for slide.

Here is a website devoted to slide playing, has some good info:

http://www.bigroadblues.com/slide/index.html

James Morrison

~*MR.MOJORISIN*~
listen to duane allman...best ever

slide has its own phrasing...basically know your scales and have a sure steady hand because not everybody can play slide..your hand has to be perfect, technique is crucial!!!....sounding bad can sound like a dieing cat, as good can sound like a woman singing and crying,...playing slide is kind of a perfectionist thing to do IMO lol so practice practice practice to sound like a human being singing

I love it, could allways play it...allmost effortlessly...where most others I know cant do it if their lives depended on it...

little tip, watch your finger tip in the slide, you know where your finger tip is, your all good!!!

Gangabiss

free your SELF
Veteran
Thanks for the tips guys.

What kind of slide would you recommend? I want a crystal clear tone with maximum sustain...would glass be best?

H

Hal

glass and metal and even bone are all used, and all give a different sound. There is plenty of info on this on the web.

mtnjohn

Veteran
James Morrison said:
listen to duane allman...best ever

slide has its own phrasing...basically know your scales and have a sure steady hand because not everybody can play slide..your hand has to be perfect, technique is crucial!!!....sounding bad can sound like a dieing cat, as good can sound like a woman singing and crying,...playing slide is kind of a perfectionist thing to do IMO lol so practice practice practice to sound like a human being singing

I love it, could allways play it...allmost effortlessly...where most others I know cant do it if their lives depended on it...

little tip, watch your finger tip in the slide, you know where your finger tip is, your all good!!!

i had no prob learning slide...but, heres how it went

way back when you were all younguns' lol i was just learning to play and i tried slide...it didnt workout at all
years later after i knew how to play, i tried slide again and it was like
...wow , thats easy man......go figure
but anyway i'm with ya JM
mj
check out this link for all kinds of good info
http://www.b0b.com/links/homepages.html#h

Last edited:
G

Glad this thread is growing :)

I got a question for you guys.

Is there anything wrong with running an acoustic through an electric amp?
I have one of those soundhole pickups made by Dunlop that you take out and put in when needed. thanx

hi overdoze :)....yea putting on the pickup is fine, i used to do it all the time and put me wah wah peddle on aswell for good reggae :p

G

stealthsheild said:
hi overdoze :)....yea putting on the pickup is fine, i used to do it all the time and put me wah wah peddle on aswell for good reggae :p

Haha Alright man thanx. I hook it up to my Digital delay 6 from Boss and throw it into reverse makes for trippy acoustic melodies haha :pointlaug

mtnjohn

Veteran
boss effect's RULE.......pedal or rack

none better have i used
mj

those delays are so fun to play with

G

yeah, boss is pretty much where its at for effects. the boss loop station is a must for the bored pothead. :)

Tarkus

Mother Nature's Son
Veteran
I love playing guitar, perhaps one of the most relaxing yet thought provoking things I have ever done. Really lets you calm down, open up and explore yourself. I play on an Ibanez...not sure of the model right now. I also play on a badass Ovation Acoustic, a model that is currently not being produced. It was my grandfathers, and now my brother and I jam on it. Beautiful guitar, and I love the way it plays. We also have an Alvarez acoustic, but it needs some work done.

Slide guitar is badass!! And yes, Duanne Allman was one of the best. He used a glass pill bottle for his slide. One of those people that is so good he simultaneously makes me want to practice and give up on playing. Johnny Winter is damn good too, excellent blues guitarist, and no stranger to the slide.

I have always wanted to get a steel guitar. Those have some of the best sounds ever, example: Jerry Garcia in "Teach your children well" by Crosby, Stills and Nash. I do not know how many of ya'll jam Tennessee Ernie Ford, but one of the best pickers of all time is in his band. Two of them actually.....Speedy West (steel guitar virtuoso) and Jimmy Bryant (1950s country shred master). Jimmy Bryant was billed as the fastest guitar in the country. I love that old country picking!

Farmer John

Born to be alive.
Veteran
Nice guys, been playing since I was 10 or so, had alot of instruments, synths, vintage guitars etc and now all I have is my old tool Fender Precision built circa 1969-1972, a really special one it is...also I have a few guitars, a early 70's Yamaha acoustic FG140 if I remember right and a Levin from 60's, used to have Telecasters, Mustangs and so on but sold them all, the Prec is family heritage so it will never be sold...cant find the damn pic now...

Farmer John

Born to be alive.
Veteran
Here's a lil project I just bought for my 4 month old son :D gonna make it work...

As you can see, brainwash from the start, Im a big GD fan...my homeguitar early 70's Yamaha FG-140

And the marriage of wood and steel..

i've done a lot of prepair for both modern and classical instruments and have got a fair bit of knowledge about it too, I've built only electric guitars and basses but know much more about fixing musical instruments, most of them anyway... :wave:

G

I done a swap a few years ago for a Schecter C-1 Plus electric, Its a good guitar but I cant play anything yet LOL

anyways I found a good program on the net called Guitar-Pro, check bit torrents, or similar for it. Its awesome for a beginner.

This isnt my guitar, its just a pic of the net. But its identical to mine. :)
SCHECC-1PLUSTR_PICT0764.JPG

Last edited:
B

bcell

Any Taylor fans out there? I love my 314CE Koa through the Fender Acoustasonic Junior DSP with some Apollo 11 buds.

B

bcell

Nice to see we are creating the next generation of Deadheads. I have my 3 year old saying "bye bye Uncle Jerry" whenever there is a monster Jam playing on the stereo.