What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Just another Northern Lights grow..

Kalbhairav

~~ ॐ नमः शिवाय ~~
Veteran
Thanks for all the comments :)

Just a quick update..
Going to definitely harvest this coming weekend. There’s just one top that probably won’t be totally done (see first pic) but that’s a small sacrifice.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I have cut out a small bit of mould but there doesn’t seem to be any more than what I found.

The smell is still quite mute. Was hoping for more earthy type terps but there’s a definite slight lemony thing going on. To me it smells like classic Dutch weed from the 90s, pretty old school all round.

Next update will be the chop..

Jestocost

Just subbed. Love this thread. After a false start I've got a NL freebie seedling at about 11 days.

Thanks so much for documenting this. You write very clearly and without pretense - it's nice.

Best.

Cmoon

Just a quick update..
Going to definitely harvest this coming weekend. There’s just one top that probably won’t be totally done (see first pic) but that’s a small sacrifice.

View Image
View Image
View Image

I have cut out a small bit of mould but there doesn’t seem to be any more than what I found.

The smell is still quite mute. Was hoping for more earthy type terps but there’s a definite slight lemony thing going on. To me it smells like classic Dutch weed from the 90s, pretty old school all round.

Mighty impressive m8:tiphat:

DARKSIDER

Official Seed Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Just a quick update..

View Image
View Image
View Image

Great work my friend good job.:tiphat:

Kalbhairav

~~ ॐ नमः शिवाय ~~
Veteran
Plants were thanked and put to rest yesterday :)

They’ll be hanging for a little while before being trimmed up and put on the racks.

Here’s some dried flower that were saved from the cola with the bit of mould.

picture.php

They’re frosty little flowers that smell very myrcene ish when squeezed. Not sure how else to describe it, it’s like the faintest of citrus mixed with weed dank. That’s my official description of myrcene right there :D
A smell I associate with old skool... Not loud at all. Hopefully the bigger buds will be a bit louder.

Will smoke these little beauties later..

Cmoon

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]A smell I associate with old skool... Not loud at all. Hopefully the bigger buds will be a bit louder.[/FONT]
perfect discription, I can get it to smell berry fruity but not overwelming runing molasses over last few weeks, always needs a months cure ime but i sure do love testing the stages of maturity...its a journey:dance013:
bests cm

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world
Outstanding work my friend! :dance013:

They look very frosty. I love that you thanked them. :biggrin: I bet intensity of your description will increase significantly when broken up.

Kalbhairav

~~ ॐ नमः शिवाय ~~
Veteran
Outstanding work my friend! :dance013:

They look very frosty. I love that you thanked them. :biggrin: I bet intensity of your description will increase significantly when broken up.

Hahaha.. I was wondering if anyone was going to pick up on that. Call me sentimental/eccentric/nuts (or some other label), it just seems like the right thing to do when you’ve reared something alive you’re going to consume. Actually it is eccentric but fuck it, I favour a bit of romanticism with my cold hard logic..

Kalbhairav

~~ ॐ नमः शिवाय ~~
Veteran
Any smoke update?

Thanks RF, yep overdue a bit..

I over dried the flower so minus points for that.

The initial samples were thick, heavy and with a prevailing acrid touch that hangs in the air. All the plants but two were similar in smoke. There’s not much to smell until the flower is broken up and then it’s predominantly a subtle musk that I associate with EU weed. Any trace of citrus/lemon is almost completely gone. All that’s left is a very hard hitting indica that isn’t very multi dimensional. Couch lock for me.. The two favourites were a little more tasty but with the same effect.

The best plants were ‘back right’ and ‘back left’ with a close third coming from front left (refer to pictures of all five plants). The pheno that looked fantastic (back center) turned out to be airy and middle of the road. So my favourite turned out to be the favourite in terms of structure, flower formation (tight, dense) and smoke. I might of kept my fave just to run again if I had a veg tent. Alas, not enough room right now..

As for this line of Northern Lights, there’s much better out there, for sure.. This was middling at best. Having said that I’m not at all disappointed I grew it. The experience has helped me get my head round the tiny tent and what I want to achieve there.

As I said in the first post, this was always going to be a learning experience to ease me back into indoor soil growing.

I’ll be revisiting Northern Lights at some point as I have more than a hundred seeds of Bodhi’s old BCSC NL#5 f4 line.

At some point I’ll add some dry shots..

Thanks to all who’ve offered suggestions and advice. Plus those who just wanted to see the pics... :)

Next up -
I’ve replaced the Quantum Board with two 100w led cobs, more or less doubling light output.

I’ve just sprouted some easy ‘fast version’ seeds to flower out before it gets too hot. Not sure about these but hopefully I’ll be surprised. After this grow then shit will be getting serious with stuff I really want to pop from the vault.

Stay safe in these crazy times friends.

noknees

The initial samples were thick, heavy and with a prevailing acrid touch that hangs in the air. All the plants but two were similar in smoke. There’s not much to smell...All that’s left is a very hard hitting indica...

The best plants were ‘back right’...So my favourite turned out to be the favourite in terms of structure, flower formation and smoke.

if it's already heavy after two weeks....maybe hide some "back right" for few months and check on her later. she could surprise you :)
nice job

Kalbhairav

~~ ॐ नमः शिवाय ~~
Veteran
As promised, here’s a selection of bud shots from various plants. They were put in jars altogether so not entirely sure when it comes to the smaller flower.

I can tell you that the two larger colas in the pictures came from ‘front left’ (left hand large bud in picture) and ‘centre back’ (centre big bud in picture). Apology for the crappy pics, just working with a phone cam here.

picture.php

picture.php

Thanks again for following :)

DARKSIDER

Official Seed Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
As promised, here’s a selection of bud shots from various plants. They were put in jars altogether so not entirely sure when it comes to the smaller flower.

I can tell you that the two larger colas in the pictures came from ‘front left’ (left hand large bud in picture) and ‘centre back’ (centre big bud in picture). Apology for the crappy pics, just working with a phone cam here.

View Image
View Image

Thanks again for following :)

Cracking buds m8 :tiphat: