What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Just another Northern Lights grow..

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world
:greenstars:

Kal, they're beautiful!

Love the structure. Looks like some very sturdy self-supporting frames on those girls. Impressive colas! Front left looks really nice. :)

Looks as though your light easily gives a 400w HID a run for its money! Impressive looking yield for 150w or less.

Did you ever dial-up to full 150w?

Great job!

DARKSIDER

Official Seed Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Just thought I’d post a pic after a really good defoliation yesterday. Getting to that point where maximum light penetration and airflow are needed. Don’t want any mould if I can help it.

Also gives me a much better impression of yield.. Hopefully they’ll all be properly done at 10 weeks.

View Image

:bump::good::bump:
Look Real Well m8 Good Job on these.:tiphat:

Kalbhairav

~~ ॐ नमः शिवाय ~~
Veteran
:bump::good::bump:
Look Real Well m8 Good Job on these.:tiphat:

Thank you mate

:greenstars:

Kal, they're beautiful!

Love the structure. Looks like some very sturdy self-supporting frames on those girls. Impressive colas! Front left looks really nice.

Looks as though your light easily gives a 400w HID a run for its money! Impressive looking yield for 150w or less.

Did you ever dial-up to full 150w?

Great job!

Thanks Shmavis

Front left is one of two that I would of kept if I had a veg/mother room. She also looks as if she’ll also be the last to finish. The other looker is back right - As appearances go that one has a lighter yield but a very tight flower structure that looks as if it’ll have good bag appeal. I guess we’ll see toward the end how they all finish up.

Yeah, things have turned out ok.
The light is pulling around 130w at the moment which is more or less capacity. The driver already gets mighty hot so I don’t think I want to push it any further.

This NL was marketed as having a hefty yield so to be expected. I did email the company and ask if the line had been outcrossed at any point and they said it was a pure NL, taken from Holland in the early 90’s and improved. Aromas are pretty muted but many Dutch NL lines are pretty low key.

The THC analysis on their website says it’s going to be around the 15% mark. I don’t really set so much stock in thc figures as I’ve had low percentage varieties that have been pretty potent.

I’m looking forward to the next run when the I’m going to double up on the light wattage with two cobs and possibly flower earlier (variety dependant).

I think they’ve got a couple more weeks to go before harvest..

Thanks man

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world
So fair to say the bag appeal you see in the back right is based on level of frost as well?

Better than OK! I have been impressed with the results from LED in relation to wattage used. That looks substantial for 130w. And your girls are happy. :dance013:

That’s nice, even preferred, that they’ve worked it and know it.

Yeah, I agree about not putting too much emphasis on the numbers.

Double up the wattage with the COBs alone, or are they joining the QB? Sorry if I missed it but did you mention the color temp of the COB?

:lurk:

RoyalFlush

DEA Agent
Premium user
420club
Just thought I’d post a pic after a really good defoliation yesterday. Getting to that point where maximum light penetration and airflow are needed. Don’t want any mould if I can help it.

Also gives me a much better impression of yield.. Hopefully they’ll all be properly done at 10 weeks.

View Image

10 week NL? seems pretty long for a "pure Nl"

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
My Boreal Lights Super Auto are NL. After 4 years, they're so different, I had to rename them. They're *very Thai but with Afghani density.

picture.php

blowingupjake

Excellent work, that tent is lovely. Somethings like NL just never need to fade away.
Kept it up man, looking forward to hearing about your harvest

Kalbhairav

~~ ॐ नमः शिवाय ~~
Veteran
10 week NL? seems pretty long for a "pure Nl"

I’m thinking if you gathered all the NL lines that have been individually bred by different companies, and grew them all out, you’d see quite a range of finishing times (all other factors being equal).

Other than that, yeah, it’s quite a long time. I did have to cut one or two mature branches a little way into flower, that’s possibly a factor in slowing them down.

Breeders website says 8-9 weeks and two of the plants are pretty much there (I’m in the 9th week now). The other 3 will probably take a while longer.

But yeah, they might not be pure, who knows...

Pics soon...

Kalbhairav

~~ ॐ नमः शिवाय ~~
Veteran
So fair to say the bag appeal you see in the back right is based on level of frost as well?

Better than OK! I have been impressed with the results from LED in relation to wattage used. That looks substantial for 130w. And your girls are happy. :dance013:

That’s nice, even preferred, that they’ve worked it and know it.

Yeah, I agree about not putting too much emphasis on the numbers.

Double up the wattage with the COBs alone, or are they joining the QB? Sorry if I missed it but did you mention the color temp of the COB?

:lurk:

Hey my friend :)

The frost level is kinda equal across the board. I’d say centre back has the edge. Back right has big thick orange hairs, flowers are tight and have good form. Front left and centre back have more fox tailing flower structure.

So next grow will be without the QB and just the two 3500k 100w cobs. The QB is 3k. I won’t have enough room in the tent to include the QB so am passing it on to a friend who’s going to have a play with it :)

I should mention the plants have been getting quite the cocktail of veganic liquid nutrients. In flower I’ve been using Plant Magic Oldtimer Bloom, Oldtimer PK Booster and General Organics Biobud. The last product doesn’t have an NPK value and is marketed as helping the plants produce bigger blooms with a tight flower structure. The Oldtimer products are molasses based. They’re all meant to be plant based organic feeds but who really knows these days.

Maybe the above combination works well for this particular variety? This NL line hasn’t really complained and I’ve fed them pretty hard. They’re on just water now..

Kalbhairav

~~ ॐ नमः शिवाय ~~
Veteran
Here we go, getting close...

Pictures of the 5 plants at 63 days of flower. Least favourite first.

The small runt of the 5 (front right).. Looks ok but small.
picture.php

Back left, the one that’s sitting in not so perfect soil. Actually looks ok and will probably come out quite nice.
picture.php

The beast, back centre, gone a bit weird on the cola and still pushing the flowers. By looks alone she actually looks great, just not the favourite.
picture.php

The nearly favourite, front left (photographed badly). Looks to be a similar pheno to centre back.
picture.php

My favourite, back right, she’s the earliest and has started to turn a lovely deep purple/black. She just has an all over classic appeal. Hopefully the others might turn out similar.
picture.php

Right, that’s it for now. All is fine and looks ok..

zif

Veteran
Very nice!

Has the aroma shifted beyond citrus yet?

Looks like a couple might want to shoot past ten weeks.

Will you wait for every last bract to swell, or chop when they’re done overall, even if a few new flowers are still kicking around? I get so indecisive with that growth pattern!

DARKSIDER

Official Seed Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Here we go, getting close...

Pictures of the 5 plants at 63 days of flower. Least favourite first.

The small runt of the 5 (front right).. Looks ok but small.
View Image

Back left, the one that’s sitting in not so perfect soil. Actually looks ok and will probably come out quite nice.
View Image

The beast, back centre, gone a bit weird on the cola and still pushing the flowers. By looks alone she actually looks great, just not the favourite.
View Image

The nearly favourite, front left (photographed badly). Looks to be a similar pheno to centre back.
View Image

My favourite, back right, she’s the earliest and has started to turn a lovely deep purple/black. She just has an all over classic appeal. Hopefully the others might turn out similar.
View Image

Right, that’s it for now. All is fine and looks ok..
A picture of health :tiphat:
Good work Kalbhairav:)

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Happy n healthy Kal,,,,,
Looking good for the run in,,,,,
Onwards and upwards,,,,s2

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world
Hey my friend :)

The frost level is kinda equal across the board. I’d say centre back has the edge. Back right has big thick orange hairs, flowers are tight and have good form. Front left and centre back have more fox tailing flower structure.

So next grow will be without the QB and just the two 3500k 100w cobs. The QB is 3k. I won’t have enough room in the tent to include the QB so am passing it on to a friend who’s going to have a play with it :)

I should mention the plants have been getting quite the cocktail of veganic liquid nutrients. In flower I’ve been using Plant Magic Oldtimer Bloom, Oldtimer PK Booster and General Organics Biobud. The last product doesn’t have an NPK value and is marketed as helping the plants produce bigger blooms with a tight flower structure. The Oldtimer products are molasses based. They’re all meant to be plant based organic feeds but who really knows these days.

Maybe the above combination works well for this particular variety? This NL line hasn’t really complained and I’ve fed them pretty hard. They’re on just water now..

:tiphat:

Having never grown NL, I find the fox tailing interesting.

That’s very kind of you, hopefully your friend gets along with it just as swimmingly as you have. :yes: Well, more wattage so not a 1:1 comparison between different color temps but I am very curious to see and hear your results/thoughts. I still want to think a part of my better luck under COB vs QB is related to the color temp difference, but it seems a factor of such small difference that it’s unlikely…

I looked up the line you’re using and got a laugh out of the character on the label. :biggrin: Sounds the way to go, even if you can’t be 100% on the organic claim.

Clearly it works well - they look great! You’ve done fantastic with them. And I am still impressed that (not even) 150w can grow plants that look like that. Just ten years ago I would’ve laughed at the possibility. Interested in hearing how they weigh in for you.

Onward for the homestretch!

T

TheForgotten

Great job....
The best NL i ever experienced was ultra sticky, keep an eye out for sticky NL phenos....