What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Jujitsu anyone.......

bentom187

Veteran
Its great, natural ,and extremeley energizing even if you have never worked out before,its not tough to do because you ease yourself into the stretches and do as much as possable without injuring yourself and you see just as much benifit as long time praticers.
and if your in shape or have a regular workout routine it will compliment it in many ways,and prevents injury.
theres many kinds of qi gong the one i do is shaolin,the buddah himself wrote these after meditating in a cave for 9yrs,to keep the monks strong and healthy.
this imroves everything from how you breath right down to your bone marrow.

bentom187

Veteran
sorry i cant go into more detail cause its somthing you have to experience for yourself but i hope this (links) gets you a little more intrested in trying it,its fun to see actually how hard it is to concentrait on a single move in slow motion without letting anyother thoughts enter,completley opposite of the efforts put forth by western idea of a workout.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoXtpeq_JFc&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwjUSfKBK5M&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1obzWkKsyW8&feature=related

fido

I've been training since the mid 90's. I trained under Rorion, Royce and Helio Gracie, as well as Caique Elias (Rickson's Blackbelt), and Mica Cipili (Rigan Machado's Blackbelt). The classes Helio taught, with Royce translating his fathers Portuguese, will always be memorable! Unfortunately w/ 6 herniated discs, 2 pinched nerves and a quadruple microdisectomy my fighting/training days might be over.
the pure water! lol!
i was with steve maxwell at maxcercise in the 90's.
craig kukick was rorion's first american black belt.
the first american bb for real.
trained with him and renzo.
love the jits
nice to meet you bro
fido

fido

I'm on the cusp of a Gracie purple belt, its taken 3 years and a shoulder operation. I just love it, especially when I'm not currently injured. I definatley get hurt more easily and more frequently than the tough 20 year olds, Im almost 50.
thats awesome! you gotta get the roy harris dvd for grapplers for old guys like u and me. lol. its great. he teaches u stuff to deal with the wild 20 year olds on the mat and will keep your injurys down.
its on dvd but pm me bro. just pm me lol. i also have the oldhead grappler series from a loyd irvin blackbelt belt that shares a ton of stratgies for the old grapplers like us to stay on the mat and not get killed! lol.
take care.
good to see guys that love the jits on here.

fido

fido

oh snap foaf.
you probably know alot of the same guys i know from the east coast that use to come out to the gracie academy for that instrutors program!
yeah
pm me.

had bob bass
nevermind
i think he left royce when they were still training in the rorions garage!
the garage was getting to crowoded so royce sent him to his cousin who was just comimg over from brazil--regan and jjm!

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
I just started BJJ a month ago, whitebelt here! I figured 23 years old better late than never

also training kickboxing.. my ground game is definitly weaker than my striking, although i have never been formally trained in either before I have a small head start in boxing since i have been hitting the heavy bag for a year now..

favorite thing: tapping somebody (only happened once so far, by guillotine, on a more experienced student)

least favorite things: getting armbarred, and taking outside leg-kicks

fido

guys-for the oldhead grapple guys !!!!
below are tapes i was talking about.

Mr. Roy Harris is the teacher of Roy Dean, the source of his detailed approach to instruction, and chief technical influence in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (BJJ). He is a pioneering martial artist and fourth degree black belt in BJJ.

As one of the first Americans to receive his black belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, he quickly realized the need for a clear, systematic approach to learning and teaching the art.

The result was an acclaimed catalogue of DVDs explaining techniques, principles, and training methods that lead to true effectiveness in grappling.

Here are three of his classic DVD titles that helped bring BJJ to another generation of martial artists.

Disc 1: Takedowns from the Knees

Disc 2: Armlocks Volume 2

Disc 3: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Over 40

the over 40 dvd is the one you want.

i have it around here somewhere.

have not watched it in a while bur let me try to dig it up.

it just tells u when to conserve your energy and when to move on the mat

so that the younger guy does most of the work while trying to tap u but he cant. u still stay safe because of the denfencie postures that mr harris shows on the dvd.

it was really helpful to me. the other one is by pual greenhill. have 2 of his things here as well.

i will dig them up. here is a blurb on them

In 1996, Paul (at the age of 32) relocated from Atlanta, GA to the Washington, DC area and began his formal BJJ Training at the Yamasaki-Dalla Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Academy. It was at the Yamasaki-Dalla BJJ Academy where he met Lloyd Irvin, who was a blue belt at the time. After Leo Dalla went back to Brazil, Lloyd decided to open his own school and Paul went to train with Lloyd. Lloyd has been Paul's primary BJJ Instructor and Paul has also trained with Lloyd's instructor, Leo Dalla. After 9.5 years of bumps, bruises, and too many butt-kickings to number, Paul was promoted to BJJ Black Belt by Lloyd Irvin (with the blessing of Leo Dalla) on January 26, 2006, becoming Team Lloyd Irvin's first OG Black Belt. That was a VERY SPECIAL DAY for Paul because his daughter, Nicole (age 5 at the time), took her very first martial arts class at the Lloyd Irvin Martial Arts Academy (LIMAA) on the same day. Two very proud moments for Paul.

After receiving his black belt, Paul began to reflect back over the 9.5 year journey and all the obstacles he had to overcome. Over the years, he had seen many older (over 30) and recreational grapplers (which Paul refers to as OGs) give up on training because of the physical and mental demands that training inflicts on a person, as well as the relentless attacks from the young and overly aggressive young punk grapplers. Paul wanted to help more of them make it to black belt. So, after prompting from Lloyd Irvin, Paul created The Wise Grappler as his way of giving back to the OGs of all ages within the grappling community. And the grappling community welcomed Paul's message of "train smarter, let the young punks train harder!", which can be proven by the international acclaim that he has received for his grappling and mental mindset training tips and coaching.

i have all of these.
ima try to dig them out for you.
fido

bentom187

Veteran
thats bruce, but if you would like to post in the TMA thread please do ... i think it would leave the BJJ/MMA guys their own space and save the mods a future headache.

bentom187

Veteran
GOOD LUCK DAG, THATS AWSOME YOU HAVE IC SUPPORTERS.
(just dont hurt them too bad mercy is a virtue)

dubite

Training under Felipe Costa here. Yesterday had the pleasure to roll for the first time with a black belt and got kimura'd, armbarred, chocked and put in the Twister.. Very humbling experience but learned a lot about keeping posture and about the always having one knee down and one foot on the ground when trying to pass guard.

If u want to improve your jits be sure to check more or less any Marcelino (Marcelo Garcia) DVD's. He is a beast!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30Ujz5sCS3k Here he is making a FOOL out of Ben Askren. If anyone knows the name of the last submission please let me know ;)

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
this thread has been quiet..

anyway i've been doing BJJ for a year and a half now, just got a stripe on my white belt :)

i think it was overdue, i can hang with most blue-belts no problem.. I might compete this coming fall at Ju Jitsu By The Sea

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
gracie or bjjj can always help u out in a hand to hand battle ......myself i pull guard and wait for your mistake...... me and my 8yr old son is now taking BJJ together i been doing it for over 12yrs glad to see a few of us here still get into martial arts

G`day RE

Pulling guard in a street fight is a quick way to get a fractured cranium .
The guy on top lifts you up and drops you on your head . Aint no Sensi or Referee to say no that aint allowed .

I`m a MMA / BJJ fan myself . Learnt a lot of techniques from watching fights and more recently Gracie Break Down .

But don`t forget Catch Wrestling and Kazushi Sakuraba . He wasn`t called the Gracie Hunter for no good reason .

Eddie Bravo vs Royler was a good example of how BJJ has evolved .

I Dominated Eddie (The Gracie Filter) Music Video

Thanks for sharin

EB .

Latest posts

Latest posts