What's new

Jettas Micro Cab

K

kidkannabis

Looking real nice Mk3Jetta.. get on the scrubber ASAP. I wanna see these babes flowering and here that they stink so good!! haha. good job on the transplant though and your new ferts!

Mk3Jetta

kidkannabis: I've tried like 4 diff variations of a scrubber and dammit I'm starting to get annoyed. each time the temps just skyrocket and I have to take it off because I dont wanna stress her. I am always thinking of designs and I have another one in mind. Just gotta build it.

ScrubNinja: Thanks man! I'm pretty sure the cola has signs of preflowers and I cant wait to flower it!

#1cheesebuds: Always glad to have you on board and I love your grow thread!

update: I went out today and got a new airpump and stone. Gonna use it to mix up my nutes constantly in the jugs they are in to reduce settling.

The Humboldt Nutes say to 'brew' for at least 24 hours before use.

Mk3Jetta

Ill show you a 2d rendering of my idea using MOTHER FUCKIN MS PAINT!!!!!FTW!!!!!

Attachments

• carbonfilter.jpg
    carbonfilter.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 14

kweb1989

interesting, i think imma sit on the floor and light a doobie and cshare with everyone and turn in to this.... Nice work so far.:eggnog:

ScrubNinja

Grow like nobody is watching
Veteran
That will work great if you make it huge surface area. Don't forget a post-filter if you exhaust into the room.

Mk3Jetta

Kweb1989- glad to have you here! I hope some of the things I mentioned in your thread are helping.

ScrubNinja-Ya i'm also wondering what you are talking about with a post filter if I'm exhausting into my room?

ScrubNinja

Veteran
Hey dudes, I got some pics to illustrate:

No post filter:

Highly engineered post filter:

It's the same setup more or less as your diagram, so the air goes up through the carbon layer and out that rear fan. Without the filter it can get dusty. Mine doesn't work 100% but pretty close and it's aimed out the window anyway. I used "frost mat" but aquarium foam would be a much wiser, more efficient choice. I used the same frost mat for a pre filter on my commercial filter shown here. It's slightly restrictive which is why I recommend aquarium foam.

Oh and technically, you should have a pre filter for the carbon screen plan as well, if you're interested in the longevity, although I've never used one with that method. It seems to last a grow and then it's no problem to pour out the carbon and repour it back in, getting rid of any crusted deposits that would normally be on your pre filter..

Mk3Jetta

Ya when I made that paint file I tried to illustrate it with two screens and thought those would work as pre and post filters...

What are your thoughts on just using screens from a window/door to hold the carbon?

kcbudz31

I've also heard of baking your used carbon on cookie sheets on LOW heat for a while to evaporate all of the volatile odors they've sucked in. Supposedly it'll basically bring it back close to new.

ScrubNinja

Veteran
KC, yeah I've heard that too, but haven't tried. I've also heard you can microwave it but it sounds a little bit dangerous to me.

MK, ah, cool. Well, it depends how big you're going to have it be. A small area would be fine if you can attach it firmly/tightly enough on the sides. However, the golden rule is that you want it to be as big as possible, so in general you would want something supporting it underneath because carbon is heavy and it may sag and get thin on the edges/deeper in the centre. I used scrog screen aka modular storage racks (someone gave me like 20 of these for free the other day :D)

In my first one I then put plastic "gutter guard" on the scrog screen, then insect mesh/flyscreen on top of that. In my second model I didn't use the gutter guard and it's fine.

What I would recommend is obtaining your scrog screen (or whatever) first, and build a box yourself to perfectly suit those dimensions, then it's easy to make a shelf thing all around the edge for the screen to sit on, and be well sealed. I've always used rubbermaid containers and the hard bit is ensuring no gaps occur on the edges where the insect screen is folded up, or where tape comes unstuck, etc. So if you have that shelf, you could simply have your scrog screen, and insect screen over the top, and fold it under, then drop it in and fill with carbon. No chance for air pockets or gaps. Even the scrog screen in larger setups like mine will sag a bit, so if you need to support it, some options I came up with is a dishwashing rack upside down (the things you put your plates in after you wash them), or in home depot or wherever you can probably buy the little bits of plastic that hold up the mesh before they pour concrete into a concrete block. It's sort of like the little plastic things in the centre of a pizza box that hold the top up, except they're designed to hold a rack up....so it's the perfect choice. They don't obstruct flow as they're very open. But even a block of wood will do the job at the end of the day.

Just remember, the bigger you make that surface area, the less problems you will have, I give you my word. Best of luck.

Edit: oops I forgot - the main problem with the current (black) one is that I forgot to wash the carbon. Wash it well and you probably won't need a post filter.

Last edited:

Strangely

Looking good mate, she's begging to be let off the leash! And I'm liking the wheels, although I did like your old orange pic too mind you!

Mk3Jetta

Hellz Ya Scrub! That mini tutorial is just what I've been thinking about! You Sir are epic. Thank you for the visuals because that is the best way I learn.

Strangely- Electric Dream Machine FTW.

Anybody watch Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia? Its great. Really funny stuff.

It is so hard to watch Layla just sitting there, waiting for me to release the flowers :frown:

She has currently ceased growing and is just boiling inside with the wanting of the 12/12 sun! :hotbounce

Mk3Jetta

pics after first bloom nute feeding

pics after first bloom nute feeding

I recently mixed up a gal of some bloom nutes. 4mL/gal of Grow Natural and 2mL/gal of Bloom Natural. Watered Layla with it and waited a day to check out growth.

Here is a pic of what she looked like last update

And here is what she looks like as of a few hours ago!!!!

Shes perked up a lot and the newest growth, which I thought had quit until flowering, has shot up 1/2" over night and shes not looking root bound anymore.

I am very satisfied with the Humboldt Nutrients. Of course I havnt tried anything else but Layla is looking gorgeous and happy.

If you guys notice the leaf tips can you tell me why they might be brown?

Janeymac

That plant has really come on , i didn't think it would make it at the start,
but it looks much better now. Have you switched to 12/12 yet ?

About the scrubber , it's funny , i made one out of a cd-rom tower, after making three
over the space of an hour and being unable to properly mount any of those on the fan , which just happens to be a Scythe ultra kaze too .
Anyway , plants looking good , i'd be itching to start her flowering.

Mk3Jetta

I'm going to finish up the filter TODAY.

Its gonna be a large box with the filter built inside. Pretty much exactly like the one ScrubNinja outlined in his post.

Hey Scrub you should submit that design to its own thread and lay it out for others!