What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

JB's sativa hacking hub

JockBudman

JockBudman

Week 4 update and we're finally all sexed with 6 females - 5x new pack 1x freebie seeds - 4 boys and 1 hermie male. I saw this hermie male trait the last time I ran the Panama line from a 5 pack which is why I had to get more seeds to repro the line.

Thrips seem to be under control but I'm having real issues with fungus gnats so some mighty mites are on the way - they live off gnat larvae so I'm hoping they have a right scran on mine as I'm sure they're inhibiting growth.
I'm also now not sure I should have topped the Panama as they don't seem to be continuing their stretch the way they have in the past. Most plants seem to be dropping leaves at the bottom 2 nodes as well, with little growth from the nodes themselves so I might have killed yield. I did them in 750ml-1litre pots to keep the stretch from taking them to 4 feet like last time but I think I'll keep to 2 litres in future. Hopefully I'll still get some f2 seed and a bit of bud to test but I'm a bit annoyed with myself. Still, plenty of time to go on these so let's just wait and see.

View media item 18711950
View media item 18711951
View media item 18711952
View media item 18711953
View media item 18711954
View media item 18711955
Apologies for the blur on the zkittzo and bangi haze shot, I was in a rush. Shame as those two are doing the best so far.

Anyway, until next time...

Thcvhunter

Veteran
Very nice. Those BBP's remind me of late 90s BB

For gnats, get a pack of mosquito dunks at your local hardware store.
Its BT-i, bacillus thuringiensis Israeli
Kills larvae through bacteria

JockBudman

End of week 5 - although tbh this is getting confusing, the weeks are just how long they've been on 11/13 and the Panama weren't even vegged when they went in. I guess having it this way will help in future to see how long a batch of these take going in that way.

Bit of a rocky week so far. All the boys are out the flower tent now and I've got pollen from most, with a last to get collected this coming week. I killed one male of for being a runt. Normally I wouldn't but thrips loved him and he was dying on his feet.

Tbh thrips love all these Panama and I'm worried I'll get them to harvest let alone get anything worth using off them. I try to do seed runs as a minor part of a bigger grow but these have ended up a bit of a disaster so far. Definitely shouldn't have topped them and I'll definitely be getting some preventative mites ahead of the coming run which will be a mix of northern lights and zamaldelica.

Anyway, on with the photos. First up full tent shots

View media item 18712185
View media item 18712186
Panama looking sad with their extensive thrip damage and hasty topping job.

Now some individual stuff for the four at the back that are further along in flower

View media item 18712187
Blueberry parfume looking a bit too green in the soil mix. Its weird that these are too hot when the bangi haze is in the same mix and needed a top dressing tonight to keep her going. @Thcvhunter did the old blueberry you mentioned like a light feeding? I actually felt I underfed these last time I did some so I went with a hotter soil to try to counteract that. Seems I went too far.

View media item 18712188

Bangi haze, a great line that, other than needing a top up of dry feed, is just trucking happily along with some nice sativa spears developing.

View media item 18712189
Last is the zkittzo that looks like she's had a blast of the pollen - which I would happily admit to only very few other plants have any orange yet and there were Panamas in the way that should be fully seeded already if that was the case. I'm thinking she's just a fast finishing pheno, think the last one went 9 weeks which should be about right for how she looks. Wish she was bigger (and the rest) but I always do...

Thcvhunter

Veteran
The BB stuff likes light feedings, often, with a lot of minerals.

Bangi likes a lot of food because of the NL and White Widow in there

JockBudman

OK, end of week 6 for the four at the back, end of week 3 for the Panama seed run.

Been some developments this week, I've got a new light on order because I realised I'm well underpowered in lighting which would explain my low yields - new panel will be getting here some time this coming week.
I also mixed all the pollen I've collected and chucked it on my Panamas tonight. Tried to be delicate in painting but thats always an impossibility so there will be seeding throughout if the pollen takes. Its fine though as depending on how they perform under the new light, these might get written off as a seed run anyway, they're small and fucked by thrips so I'm not expecting much bud.

In pollinating I took some time to have a closer look at and take some shots of the four at the back. I was mainly checking for balls and nanas as there's already seed forming on a branch of the bangi haze as well as on a few Panama. Thankfully it looks like I'm in the clear and it was an early release from a male, so I'll just be getting a few random Panama crosses which is fine.
Also identified 2 Panama with the orange terps that were a feature of my favourite pheno from last time I did these, so that's cool.

Anyway, photos time

View media item 18712290
View media item 18712291
Couple of full tent shots

View media item 18712292
View media item 18712293
View media item 18712294
Also did a few covering the sides and middle so hopefully some of these Panama will be clearer. Starting to look nicer now - well, some are.

View media item 18712295
View media item 18712296
Some closer shots of the 2 bbp. I took the four bottom branches off number 2 and I'm trying to root them out. She's frosted up really fast and I'm interested to put her into the autumn run to see how she likes the new light - if any root that is.

View media item 18712297
View media item 18712298
Finally bangi haze and zkittzo. Bangi still not responding to the top dressing of dry ferts she got. Looks like you called it @Thcvhunter although I'm surprised at the widow and NL being in there as I assumed she was a congo x Nepalese as Ace state.
The zkittzo will probably need another 3 weeks at most, she's rapidly ripening. Buds look and smell nice, just a shame there's so few of them. I think I have one more seed of this which might fill a slot on the next run.

Only other thing to add is I've put down 6 zamaldelica seeds for the next run and already have one above ground. Also got 2 nirvana NL and 3 sagarmatha NL9 on to soak. I'll put another one down to fill a seed tray gap when I plant the NL seeds as well, maybe a last zkittzo. My hashplant I'm vegging looks good too and will go in once the zkittzo is done. And the Panama clone I rooted for fun is also growing well - may not need that extra zkittzo after all.

And I still feel empty not putting more red snake on @bleepboop ...

JockBudman

Week 7 update time for the 4 oldest, week 4 for the Panama.

Still battling thrips sadly and I've got some more mites on the way to try to get rid of them once and for all. They've hit the veg tent now too and I'm spraying with some incredibly intense chilli pepper spray that I've used in the past on spider mites with real success. Hopefully my predator mites will finish the job for me and I can get the next batch in clean.

On the upside, the gnats are under control and the Panama seem to be loving my new light, which you'll notice has shifted the colour cast of the photos. Its very bright and outshines the two big cobs that used to be the brightest in the tent. I'll get a proper appraisal on the next run but so far it seems to be helping.
Unfortunately it does show up just how bad the thrip damage is, but that was the case before it went in, it just comes across in the photos more now.

View media item 18712519
View media item 18712520
Full tent shots first, think you can see how well the Panama have responded to the big led panel.

View media item 18712521
Blueberry parfume. Think this may be the last run out of this seed line tbh, she just yields too low. I'll still keep any cuts that root and run one out under the new panel, but unless I see a double or triple yield, it's not worth it.

View media item 18712522
Bangi haze still yellowing despite heavier feeding than the others, very similar to how the last one of these behaved. I'll keep feeding at very watering and hopefully she'll come in OK.

View media item 18712523
Zkittzo pretty much done now, although I'll give her another week to make sure. Like the bbp, I'm not in a rush to run this again - its this awful architecture that I think of as a very modern feature of these insta bud sweets named strains. Easy to trim with nice buds that don't need to be broken up much hence more photogenic, but I can't get them to ever yield well. Same issue the bbp suffers from - I'd prefer a red snake with big long spears any day. I get the feeling these types would do better in a scrog with the long internodes allowing plenty of weaving in a net but I'm not interested in that method so not much use to me.

View media item 18712524
View media item 18712525
View media item 18712526
Last up are the Panamas. Looking a bit chunkier now and the good news is that my pollination has worked so we've got plenty of seed for the future. I might dust a bit more this week as some only got one bud done but it should be a decent seed run regardless. I'll save the pollen for a possible sprinkling on the next lot as well.

My main regret so far (apart from the thrips) is topping the Panama. Usually when I sex then top, I get plenty of extra stretch into flower, but these haven't done that at all. I'm wondering if I have more red phenos this time, as the green ones last time were more fluffy and stretchy. Guess we'll find out as the weeks progress.

More next week.

JockBudman

Quick addition - I ordered some fluer du mal stuff in a sale on Friday and they turned up fast today. Not sure if I can name the bank but they sorted me out with a pack of ortega mix and a pack of bubblegum mix along with 2 desert skunk fem from Khalifa seeds.

I've been wanting to try the bubblegum mix for a while and now I need to figure out how I could possibly squeeze in a few. And maybe some red snake....

JockBudman

Weeks 8 and 5 - bit late on the update as I'm losing heart a bit with these thrips. They're now attacking my young zamaldelica and Northern lights seedlings and I'm still not getting them under control. Worse than any other pest I've ever had and I've had a few - I've even had these before but this year they're just bulletproof. I'm going to daily spraying in the veg tent and I'm considering if I should just cut the Panama as soon as the seeds are done and clean the whole tent out before the next ones get anywhere near.

View media item 18712648
View media item 18712649
Panama are starting to fill out a bit more now, the seeded buds are looking fat as well and the seeding is the one success in this grow tbh. I should have got some shots of pregnant buds - maybe next week.

View media item 18712650
View media item 18712651
BBP1 and 2 starting to frost up more and pistils are turning brown. I guess I'll get less than a quarter from both combined. Sad times.

View media item 18712652
Bangi haze looking a lot like the last one of these I grew as it moves towards the last few weeks - I promise I'm feeding her. It looks like she got a blast or two with some Panama pollen so I should get a nice cross out of this girl.

View media item 18712653
Zkittzo, now chopped and hanging up to dry. This was yesterday after I pulled her to the front and then couldn't be bothered finishing the job for some reason. I think I could've left her another week but I kind of wanted to make a bit of space and I doubt it makes much difference.

So yeah, bit of a sad week. Hopefully I can get the mojo back soon

bleepboop

And I still feel empty not putting more red snake on @bleepboop ...

You're doing great mate, put absolutely whatever you want on <3 glad I logged in for a gander.
The fungas gnats and the thrips are awful this year, so much rain the last few weeks.
I hear you on the bb yields, it is disheartening. when i topped/mainlined a lot the yields did not improve by much and the tops were not far off popcorn. perhaps the light/often feeding would have been much more beneficial than just leaving the soil mixes to do their thing but can only be solved with practice. the flavours are quite delicious. one of them innit... nice to try but we only have so much time and space in life like.
big love

JockBudman

Weeks 9 and 6 (and 0)

Starting to feel a bit better about things now, I potted up the zamaldelica sprouts last night and my chilli spray seems to have helped with the thrips. I also removed all of the ravaged leaves and I've got neem oil and horticultural soap on the way so I'll be using that as an ongoing preventative until they go into flower. Other seedlings seem similar in that the infestation seems not to have spread too much onto new leaves. I don't like neem in flower but I'm hoping a good regular dose in veg will mean I don't have to worry about them once they're in the main tent. I'll also do a top dress of diatomaceous earth to help with gnats - should have done that last night but I've misplaced my tub.

I'll also be doing a full clean down of the main tent before they go in flower, which will delay things a bit. But I plan now to harvest the Panama as soon as their seeds are ripe which should be in about 3 weeks time. There isn't much point in pushing them beyond that tbh as they won't yield much, I'll take what I can get and move on as soon as possible from the thrip disaster. Good news is the predatory mites seem to have helped in the flower tent too as I'm not seeing any more leaf damage beyond what is already there. Fungus gnats are back in a big way but hopefully the DE will keep them off the next lot.

Theres also some new additions - my bubblegum and red snake germination was a disaster with only one bubblegum mix sprout up and no red snake. The bbg mix ones seem to have dried out too much in the hot tent and died off so I put on 3 more of each in a new tray to germ in the window instead. Hopefully I'll get a girl or 2 from each and have a good selection of stuff to enjoy over Christmas.

In the flower tent we have a newcomer in the way of an Afghan hashplant x Afghan kush from my own hacks. She's taken an age to veg and needed thrip treatment but she's in now so we'll see what she does as the first plant to go the whole way under my new light.

View media item 18712806
View media item 18712807
Full tent shots. Looks like there's a few deficiencies starting on the Panama. I'm feeding at every watering but I might need to add some Epsom salts by the looks of some of the leaves.

View media item 18712809
View media item 18712808
A blurry BBP 1 and a frosty BBP 2. These will come down sometime this week I think, next weekend at the latest. @bleepboop interesting to hear that about topping - the ones I've done before untopped did a lot better, I was just hoping that topping would increase yield. Guess these are the exception to the rule eh? I've got more snake on as well as mentioned so I won't be without it for long - plus I stashed away a big bud from each jar from the current supply to have over Christmas and new years anyway.

View media item 18712810
Last up is bangi haze. I'm gonna let this run to 10 weeks and make a decision, might cut then, might leave it to go to 11.

And thats that. All that's left is a vape report on the zkittzo which yielded low, but not as low as expected due to how dense the buds are. The smell is a little like sour skittles and the taste is nice and fruity. The effect is mainly in the body but is kind of dull and similar to all other US influenced stuff I've tried. Funny that we used to shit on Dutch weed for being samey but now the Dutch stuff seems almost exciting again after trying these all flavour, no real high American hybrids. Can't beat a proper sativa really...

JockBudman

Ok, so this will be a condensed weeks 10(7/1) and 11(8/2) review. I could say I've been busy but tbh I'm mainly just fed up with how badly this has gone - the plants look so fucked now that I've not even bothered with photos from the past week, just the ones from last weekend when I took the bbps and bangi haze down. Fungus gnats are INSANE I put all new yellow traps in and the first in had gnats on it before the third one was unwrapped. I've watered with mosquito bits twice now but I'm just wanting to get these down now, I doubt it'll be under control before then.

Things are better in the veg tent - one thing I'm good at is vegging plants, it just all falls apart in flower. They all got a second spray of neem and horti soap tonight, which hasn't totally killed off the thrips but is definitely keeping them under control. I'm hopeful I can get them out of the way before flowering in a few weeks. I also got six red snake up after a few failed attempts so they can join the zamaldelica, northern lights and bubblegum in the next run.

I'll get the main tent cleaned out after the Panama come down at the end of this week. Seeds need another one to fully ripen- I checked recently and got one ripe and one green so I'll go to seven weeks ripening and that'll hopefully do it. Ideally I'd let them finish up but most have lower buds losing sugar leaves and I want to get them out so I can clean down the tent, spray with bleach or something and then get the next load in. I might scrap the afghan cross as well which would hurt but I think she's carrying thrips still and I'm not sure the neem spray can continue much longer, she should start to bud soon.

Right, old photos...

View media item 18712976
View media item 18712977
Bbp 1 just before coming down. This one is a nice piney, aniseed type of scent, with a similar taste. High is like all blueberry hybrids, a nice balanced mix good for relaxing in the evening. Can be pushed too far so I keep it light.

View media item 18712978
View media item 18712979
View media item 18712980
Bbp2, a little frostier and a bit more fruity but still a hint of pine. Similar high to the sister tbh, its really nice which is why its so annoying that they yield so low. Really tempted to keep rolling the dice on these... dammit.

View media item 18712981
View media item 18712982
Bangi haze- this shit stinks to high heaven which is stressful, I'm not a fan of a powerful scent. The effect is nice though, very red eyed, chuckley, stoney but high. Good but still glad this was the last seed.

View media item 18712988
The rest plus the afghan. They've not changed much since last weekend other than losing more leaves.

JockBudman

Week 12/9 and a bitter end to this seed repro grow. I decided to just cull the lot last Saturday, including the afghan who was still harbouring thrips. The veg tent seems clear or close to it after multiple neem sprays and the gnats are under control with the mosquito bits. I still need to clean the flower tent but that's next weekend's job.

I'm just gonna photo dump to close out - not much to say until the next lot are in and these Panama are dry enough to sift for seed and give a vape report on. I'll be picking dead gnats out my buds but it is what it is.

View media item 18713434
View media item 18713435
View media item 18713436
View media item 18713437
View media item 18713438
View media item 18713439
View media item 18713440
View media item 18713441
View media item 18713442
View media item 18713443

JockBudman

OK, a clean tent and hopefully a clean slate to start the autumn grow. There will be a fair few strains going in this one, although only two are in the flower tent as yet.

Still in veg, we've got nirvana NL fem, sagarmatha NL9, fleur de mal bubblegum mix and red snake. The nirvana NLs got potted on today as they're fems - the sags I want to sex first. Two of the bubblegum mix are still seedlings, as are the snakes.

In the flower tent we've got five zamaldelica and the Panama clone I saved. The clone is already potted up to 5l but the zams need sexing first.

The plan is to just go for a decent grow, try to keep on top of watering with mosquito bits, neem sprays until flower (though all seem fairly thrip free at the moment) and hopefully get a good selection to harvest. I won't be messing about much with males - if I get a sag NL9 male I do want to use that on the nirvana NLs and I might do something with a red snake male if one pops up. Other than that boys are getting culled.

View media item 18713533
Quick photo to open this new section of the grow. Here's hoping for a smoother ride to the end.

JockBudman

End of week 1 for the zamaldelica and Panama in the flower tent. No firm sex as of yet, I've got a few I think might be boys but I'm just playing it safe for now. I've also chucked in one of the sag NL9 that I 90% think is a boy, so I can collect pollen to dust the nirvana girls once they start to bud - still a few weeks before they go in though.

In the veg tent I've stopped spraying neem for now as I'm not seeing anymore evidence of thrips. I'll probably spray each sexed female as it goes into flower though, just to be sure.

Photo time -

View media item 18713693
Light's now on 75% and dropped down to about a foot from the tops, I'll monitor that and see how they take it. They're also clustered round the tube heater as the temperature has dropped in the last week.

In the veg tent I've killed off the oldest bubblegum mix as it showed male. Also potted up the snakes, but only into small vegging pots coz the zamaldelica are hogging my 2litre pots. I'm just waiting the see sex on most of them - the nirvana NLs will hopefully go in next weekend. I've also put the seedling heat mat back on.

Tìoraidh an-dràsta

JockBudman

Edit: There's a few things I realised I should have posted before starting these reviews, so I'm putting it here.

So apart from the insect nightmare (which is still not abating) the growth of these seed plants was somewhat surprising. Despite the fact I cut them early in bad condition, its clear to me the line has change since I first ran Panama a few years ago. In the first run I got one green pheno, one red and one hybrid - not a huge genepool to generalise from but it seemed like a good mix in a small sample. Well this bigger sample is much more homogenous in bud formation and general growth, leaning more to what I remember of the red pheno growth, with a bit of hybrid and no green. The green (or what I think of as green) is a loose budding, trad sativa like a leafier red snake but there's no evidence of that in these. Maybe it'll pop up in the f2 gen but I'm pretty certain the line has changed so I'm not sure.

OK, first vape review. Starting with Panama #2 and going in no logical order, I'll see how long it takes me to get this done.

View media item 18713708
So, nice shiny tight buds. Unfortunately this yielded the least and was the worst affected by thrips. Very tall, upright plant with zero branching.

Smell is a mix of citrus, pine, sweetness and bubblegum, in no particular order. The taste is a combination of the smells but its hard to pull anything out or describe it really.

The high is floaty, a bit tippy especially when walking and potent. When sat down I space out a lot, very good for disappearing in thought. All the highs are going to be similar but this is, I think the most potent on the front end with a bit of leaning towards the couchy side.

Next up soon

Last edited:

Thcvhunter

Veteran
Good job, Jock

The BBP you can find chunkier phenos in the F2s.
I used doc D's Tiger Claw in that line. Golden Tiger x Congo x Kandahar. Very very spicy / piney. Also extremely potent. Im glad the high stay even keeled - all those blueberry lines do a great job at giving a nice gentle balanced high and I didnt want to disrupt that as I tried adding more potency and nerve pain relief.
Let em veg longer next time for a better yield. And lollipop them

JockBudman

OK, next up is an un-numbered one - there were a few where I forgot to transfer the label from the pot. This is also probably my favourite and I really should have left it for last, but hey ho. It's the one I call Panama Orange.

View media item 18713767
So, the story with this pheno goes back to my first run of Panama. I got 3 females out of 5 - first one was a stanky Panama Red pheno that reeked of lemon spice with a heavy head, second was a Panama Green pheno that smelled of gin and tonic and had a lovely floating high, and lastly there was a hybrid type that stank - and tasted - of artificial oranges. The high was well balanced with a bias to the head, a little trippy even, excellent for walking outside, the vapour was delicious and long lasting and its the reason I reprod the line.

Well this one isn't exactly the same, but it's really close and definitely the one to segregate seed from to line breed.

The smell is a deep artificial orange with some sort of furniture polish mixed in and it translates well to the taste, with that mix of sweet and just a little bitter working well. The vapour is long lasting and the flavour fades to a little spicy on the back end.

High is almost spot on for what I described before though I need to take it for more of a test spin outdoors. But generally its a mood improver, puts a smile on your face and adds some spacial perception distortion to your day.

I'll be splitting the seeds off this one in half and keeping half segregated and half for the f2 pot. I'm hoping I get some good, mature ones. So far I've mainly seen lighter coloured seeds in the jar.

JockBudman

Keeping the reviews going with Panama #7 now, one similar in appearance to both the orange and #8.

View media item 18713972
So nice and shiny again - this is unseeded but the seeded buds are producing plenty of good beans for the pot.

Smell is a mix of orange oil, mint, pine, varnish and general sweetness. The flavour isn't as long lasting as others though and the initial sweet hit soon dissipates to a very faint bland exhale.

Not that I care much for the flavours, the high is what I'm here for and its a good variation on the general Panama buzz - nice and floaty, less trippy than others, good for zoning out and social enough that I can do a call with family on it and still keep up with the chat despite a few giggling fits. It's a good general one tbh, no real unique notes but if it was the only Panama I had, it would still be first choice every time. I'm fine with these beans being the most prominent in the mix.

Weekly update coming soon.

Latest posts

Latest posts