What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

JB's sativa hacking hub

JockBudman

End of week 10 - old Panama and zamaldelicas
End of week 7 - Northern Lights
End of week 6 - Red snakes
End of week 4 - Bubblegum mix 1
End of week 3 - Bubblegum mix 2

Not going to be an exciting update this time as all are in that quiet period of not looking like much is going on. The runt zamaldelica will come down at the end of this week, possibly the Panama as well depending on how the buds look. Plenty ripening on lowers but the main buds are still shooting new hairs.

I'm getting a bit itchy with the NLs as well as they look nice and fat but still with very few brown pistils.

View media item 18715170
View media item 18715171
View media item 18715172
View media item 18715173
View media item 18715174
View media item 18715175
View media item 18715176
View media item 18715177
I've got a shot of the runty zam just to show how bad she looks. Truly awful to see one of my favourite strains be so ravaged by her conditions, I was really hoping for a stash of this to keep me going into the new year and beyond. Need to stop grieving these plants.

The bubblegum mixes are also giving me conniptions, especially the older one which is starting to look like the blueberry gum I did earlier in the year and which yielded poorly. Heres hoping she bulks out a bit in the next 6 or so weeks.

Red snakes are red snakes - reliable, flowering well and starting to build those balls of fluff towards something more substantial. Should be a good new years taking these down.

JockBudman

End of week 11 - old Panama and zamaldelicas
End of week 8 - Northern Lights
End of week 7 - Red snakes
End of week 5 - Bubblegum mix 1
End of week 4 - Bubblegum mix 2

A few changes this week - first off I took the zamaldelica runt (apparently #4 when I read the label) down on Friday night as she was at 90% red hairs and not looking like she'd improve much. A bit fell off when pulling leaves out so that's on the panel to dry a bit quicker and give an early sample. I toyed with taking the Panama down too but I want to give her another week as the tops are still shooting hairs.

Northern lights 2 has ripened rapidly and could easily come down now but needs another few weeks for seeds to ripen so she'll come down with her sister at around 10 weeks.

I also raised the light more and dropped it to 75% last Monday - I'm going to go for min of 14 inches distance next time and keep it to 75 unless I think I can get away with dialing up.

View media item 18715262
View media item 18715263
View media item 18715264
View media item 18715265
Somehow I managed to get a less yellow photo of the middle of the tent and it definitely shows how different bubblegum mix 2 looks being shorter and thus less burned by light. I may even need to raise the pot up as she's quite a distance away now but I'll see how she gets on. I'm quite happy to have one decent looking plant, even if she is tiny.

View media item 18715268
View media item 18715266
View media item 18715267
View media item 18715236
View media item 18715237
And some close up shots of the Panama, NLs and the zamaldelica before coming down. More excitement coming next week hopefully.

JockBudman

End of week 12 - old Panama and zamaldelicas
End of week 9 - Northern Lights
End of week 8 - Red snakes
End of week 6 - Bubblegum mix 1
End of week 5 - Bubblegum mix 2

Took down the Panama tonight and toyed with taking the NL2 but I'm still not sure on seed maturity, its only been 5ish weeks since pollination 9thso I'll leave it for next weekend. Might take her in stages if the seeds don't look done by then. Looks well cooked though and could easily be down and drying now so a solid 9 week pheno that could even have got the chop at week 8 without too much heartache. If the high is good she'll be the A line of the NLxNL9 for sure.

View media item 18715343
View media item 18715344
View media item 18715345
View media item 18715346
Such scorched blooms...

The main thing I've learned this grow is that this light is incredibly bright. From the looks of the smaller bubblegum mix and the continued burn on the others, it looks like raising the panel and reducing the power has had fuck all effect. Next time I'll try the following -

Seedling - 24 inches 25%
Veg - 24 inches 50%
Stretch - 18 inches 75%
Flower - 12 inches 75/100%

I'll see if that works, I've seem recommendations of up to 36inches at seedling stage, but that's with 100% power. I'm basically just going to assume any issues in future are because of the lights and raise them up before messing about with feeds.

View media item 18715350
View media item 18715351
The two Northern Lights. Really nice looking plants these, although I'm sure the colouring is just light abuse and cold. Still, looking forward to taking these down soon.

View media item 18715347
View media item 18715348
View media item 18715349
And finally the old Panama. Few white pistils on top but well cooked otherwise and those are likely just stress. Felt quite heavy when I hung her up so I should be in stock of this one for a while.

JockBudman

Took the NL2 down tonight - I zoomed in on the photos from yesterday and there were a fair few amber trichs so I took the top section and left the bottom four seeded buds to finish up. Didn't look like they had too many seeds in them tbh, but hopefully it'll be enough.

View media item 18715361
View media item 18715362
View media item 18715363
View media item 18715364
Now that I can see the bubblegum mix 1 better, I'm not sure its worth finishing. It's looking a lot like the blueberry parfume and blueberry gum plants I did - nothing like the photos I've seen from this mix. It may even yield less than the zamaldelicas which is baaaaaad. Ugh.

I'm undecided but I might just cut my loses on this grow once the snakes are done. That way I can get some autos on for a winter run that I can also use to veg plants for spring. I'm gonna do Pink Kush CBD, auto gorilla zkittzles and maybe auto strawberry gum. Not sure on what to veg, was gonna be ortega mix from fdm but not sure now. I'll probably do some red snake again as well as an indica leaner, cull all males and put them in flower with a load of O Haze I'm going to f2.

Surprisingly the best plants I've done this year have all been Dutch classics from fem seed - the white widow and these northern lights.

JockBudman

Took some bubblegum mix photos last night once I plucked the worst leaves off the older one, just to show how they are. No. 1 will be small yielding but 2 has some potential if she can keep fairly healthy and unburnt as she has much tighter node spacing and a really nice bud structure.

View media item 18715381
View media item 18715382
View media item 18715383
View media item 18715384
I also gleaned a tasty nugget of info whilst reading up on these last night. In the UK, you can only get them at 2 places - a UK based forum in their private shop, and a seedbank that signed a deal with fleur du mal last year (I think). I got mine from the seedbank in a sale because the forum store sold out within hours of them dropping.

Anyway, I was on the UK forum reading about the bubblegum line to see if I could get any other photos to check out, growing tips for the future etc - the owner and breeder has an account on there so its good for info on FDM strains. In the thread talking about the bx generally, he mentioned that the mix packs made in 2022 were not a mix, but a 1:1 pairing of the Indiana bubblegum clone with a serious seeds 98 bubblegum dad. He then dropped that he'd also supplied the seedbank I got these from with that mix - and considering they only started stocking FDM gear in the last year, I'm pretty confident that's what I have.

If so, that changes everything. I had planned just to run these for funsies and not bother inbreeding but now I think I will make a new generation (once I've grown enough of them to be fairly sure the consistency is there.)

Not sure when I'll get around to that, maybe do another 5 in summer with a good veg and go from there, or possibly even drop some more for a spring run - it'll depend on how they finish up. I may even try to reveg the #2 and take clones if she has enough healthy veg matter at the end of the next 5 weeks.

Exciting times...

JockBudman

End of week 13 - Zamaldelica
End of week 9 - Red snakes
End of week 7 - Bubblegum mix 1
End of week 6 - Bubblegum mix 2

Big changes as we come to the end. First up the Northern Lights 1 came down on Saturday night at 69 days. Nice chunky girl, smells good too - hoping she'll be dry by Christmas. I also took down the bubblegum mix 1 tonight as she had pretty much died. She's tiny, probably no more than 2 grams once dried. Smells amazing but not really worth it tbh. If she'd yielded like these northern lights though...

View media item 18715409
View media item 18715410
View media item 18715411
View media item 18715438
View media item 18715439
View media item 18715440

So now the full tent looks like this -

View media item 18715437
Also got individual shots of all but the zamaldelica coz she's too spread out and not photogenic

View media item 18715442
View media item 18715441
View media item 18715443
View media item 18715444
Think the untapped red snake will be down in the next few days - could've been down tonight but I've run out of hanging space. Need to get the Panama chopped and boxed to finish the dry.

Til the next chop...

bleepboop

merry cropmas mate! this is a really nice holiday mix, well done. had a vape on some snake before bed last night and it was a treat. ended up watching deep space nine with a hastily whipped up quesadilla :') comfortably disorientating at the peak and generally relaxed afterwards.
how are you finding the quantum board leccy useage compared to the cobs? I imagine you may get a bit less stretch because of less far red- those sunplus rose spectrum 1825 chips taper off around 700-750. slightly smaller fan leaves too perhaps.
They were never super efficient or gave a well distributed light footprint but the spectrum is very nice for the era they were made in.

JockBudman

Took down the first red snake on Monday night and got a few shots just before she came down -

View media item 18715454
View media item 18715455
View media item 18715456
View media item 18715457
The Panama and NL2 are in jars, albeit a bit too dried out because I stuck them in boxes on top of the heat mat and didn't realise that would crisp them up so much. I've got lettuce leaves in the jars to rehydrate them a bit. It doesn't seem to have affected the smell too much as the NL2 stinks and I'm needing to keep the jar in a drawer to prevent my bedroom from being funked up. So much for a low odour strain...

The other red snake will be down Friday and the zamaldelica sometime after Christmas. The others drying should be in the jar before the holidays - or at least I hope so as I'm off to see family for a few days. If not I'll need to hope they don't dry out too much before I return.

@bleepboop good description on the snake effect, must be well cured now as well eh? I should really put some aside for a long time to see how it comes out. I've got a jar of selected buds from the start of the year that's for the holidays but its maybe only been six months max. The board is I think about 150w but I'll be using it at 50-75% most of the time from now on so it should be a big saving once I dial it in and stop burning the shit out of everything. I might end up doing the next run with just the board to see how it goes solo - I shouldn't need as much going forwards anyway now that we're on the cbd bud most of the time during the week. Really enjoying that stuff and the cbd hash is just perfect - great on its own and even better with some full strength stuff mixed in.

JockBudman

End of week 14 - Zamaldelica
End of week 7 - Bubblegum mix 2

End of week 15 - Zamaldelica
End of week 8 - Bubblegum mix 2

Double update from the last few weeks over Christmas. The last red snake came down on the 23rd and is already dried, jarred and filling the room with spicy lemons and the mind with a spaced out calm that lasts.

View media item 18715554
View media item 18715553
View media item 18715552

Both northern lights have been sampled and so far #2 is preferred, with a piney, liquorice scent and flavour plus old school high. Only downside is both have a short duration on the effect.

Bubblegum mix 1 is a small jar of delights. Smell is definitely sweet, maybe a bit bubblegumy and the flavour translates well. A nice relaxing indica high perfect for the evening without being too heavy.

View media item 18715551
View media item 18715559
Not much difference between the two weeks really, other than the bubblegum mix putting a little weight on. They'll probably both come down next weekend or the one after at the most - whenever the bubblegum is ready.

View media item 18715557
View media item 18715558
View media item 18715560
View media item 18715561
Little comparison of the progress. Zamaldelica week to week below

View media item 18715555
View media item 18715556
View media item 18715562
View media item 18715563

JockBudman

Final Harvest

End of week 16 - Zamaldelica
End of week 9 - Bubblegum mix 2

Took the last two down tonight so I can clean the tent and get the next load on to veg. Still not sure on what to do, there's too many choices really, very tempting to pop some of the recent creations. So far the contenders are -

Ortega mix
Bubblegum mix
Red snake
O Haze
Skunk haze
Panama orange / 8
Nirvana NL2 x sag NL9

I'd love to do all but there's no way. Plus I'm planning some auto cbd bud whilst the indicas I pick veg up. After the low yields on the bubblegum this time I'm going to give any indicas a longer veg time and possibly stick a few in 10l pots. Sativas will go in after the males are gone.

On to the harvest shots

View media item 18715700
View media item 18715701
View media item 18715702
Didn't leave any on the bubblegum to reveg as the bud structure is crap but if I'd vegged her longer, topped and stripped lower buds it might have been a bit more worth it. Smells a bit of puke but I'll see how that cures out and how the flavour is. I am really liking the flavour and effect on the first bubblegum, which is why they are a contender for the next run.

View media item 18715703
View media item 18715704
View media item 18715705
Zamaldelica could go another 2 weeks at least but she can fluck off with that. I'm expecting this to be a metallic, electric, up up up high. Think I might do the recombination of the two separate lines later this year.

On to the curing, cleaning and vaping whilst we wait for the next time...

Last edited by a moderator:

JockBudman

Back once again, its the incredible, rhyme animal, young cannibal...

View media item 18717640
Spring 2024 and I've bitten off more than I can chew.

Back left we have 2 autos - gorilla skittles, pink kush cbd. Bit stunted - top tip - check what the lowest settings on your light are before you turn it all the way down for early veg. I thought it was on 25% for 2 weeks and it was on 5...

In front of those are 2 Panama orange. I popped 6 and only got 2 sprouts, although they are fairly young seeds. Still no signs of sex yet but they're on 11/13 now so hopefully in the next few weeks.

Back right are 2 red snake, with the biggest having had a seriously long veg for a snake. Really hoping that ones is a girl as I've chucked one boy already.

The rest are Ohaze that I'm running in 1 litre pots to repro - 8 in total - already 2 weeks into flower. I'm hoping I get at least 1 or 2 males as otherwise I'll regret getting rid of the snake boy...

Not that I have the space as I've got 1 bubblegum mix and 2 ortega mix still vegging. I'll likely have to move stuff about and get the haze into the other tent to flower and pollinate until the girls are potted on and growing seeds. Might still get a male or 2 from the Panama and snakes so we'll see how it goes. Other option is to chuck the autos early which wouldn't be a massive loss but I'm hoping I can squeeze all these in somehow... who knows?

End of week 0 - Panama
Week 1- snakes
Week 2 -Ohaze

Last edited: