What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

JB's sativa hacking hub

JockBudman

20220924_221018.jpg
A few shots at 7 weeks. I've moved them all around a bit, but I didn't pay much attention when I did it so I'm not 100% where everything is now just coz some of the hawaiins are really similar looking.
Best guess is -

Bangi haze - Hawaiin #1 - Hawaiin #5
Hawaiin #3 - Hawaiin #4 - Orange juice
Hawaiin #2 - Hawaiin #6 - Zamaldelica (not in shots)

I got some closeups of the back row as well - its so busy in there its hard to see them in the other shots

20220924_180458.jpg

Left side

20220924_180505.jpg

Centre

20220924_221018.jpg

Right side

20220924_180524.jpg

Full tent

20220924_181227.jpg

Bangi haze

20220924_181235.jpg

Hawaiin #1

Tbc...

Attachments

• 20220924_181235.jpg
    20220924_181235.jpg
    11.1 MB · Views: 64
  • 20220924_181227.jpg
    20220924_181227.jpg
    11.8 MB · Views: 73
  • 20220924_180505.jpg
    20220924_180505.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 66

JockBudman

Sweet
Did you keep any clones?
I tried, several times, but I'm bad at cloning and none of them took. I've got 1 of the hawaiin #2 that still might make it, along with an orange juice that's maybe going to root as well.

Unfortunately the #2 is the one I found and removed pollen sacs from early this week so I'm not sure about keeping the clone if it does root. My main interest is the #5 and then #1, #3 & #6 so I'll see if I have space to reveg a few if they come out good.

JockBudman

A late week 8 update. Been a bad environment week - rh has shot up due to the changing weather and temps have shot down. I'm keeping an eye out for bud rot and the tube heater is back on with the extraction on full so there's not much more I can do. My filter also died on me and I've had to stick my spare on the end of the outlet to help - there's a new one coming today but I've not got any way of changing it til these all come down and I can fit my new ec fan. Just have to hope my bodge job holds the smell in for now.

Speaking of, they're getting pungent now and there's been a huge change in leaf colour made more extreme by the rh spike and temp drop keeping me from watering much so they only just got a feed last night. I think orange juice will be down at the end of this week and the earliest Hawaiins could be the week after. Bangi haze looks to be the longest running and I expect at least another 3 on her, if not more.

20221001_173849.jpg

Left side

20221001_173855.jpg

Centre

20221001_173906.jpg

Right side with the Thai dom zamaldelica making an appearance

20221002_191124.jpg

Bangi haze

20221001_173919.jpg

The most ripe hawaiin in the centre back with the #4 peeking in at the front

20221001_173910.jpg

Hawaiin #5 being a beast

20221001_173926.jpg

Orange juice nearly cooked

No full tent shot coz I forgot. Its also pretty dramatic how fast they've all yellowed out - I'm so used to full on sativas now that I always underfeed and anything a little hybridised suffers. Should get enough to keep me happy over winter though and there's 3 blueberry parfume and 3 red snake vegging along to replace this lot in a few weeks so it should be a happy Christmas if i can battle through the cold.

Til next time...

Last edited:
Really interesting to see the documentation of your grow, Mr. Budman. Some trials and tribulations - and triumphs - with these ladies. May I ask what your final potsize is for the eleven weeks plus plants?
You're obviously a sativa lover but blueberry gets mentioned a few times too. Are those lines something that interests you too? How did the blueberry parfum turn out?
Had an amazing one back in '94 which we managed to keep around for a little while. Tallish, wide internodes, shortish branches, purple, crap yield, difficult to get cuttings to root. So a nightmare plant but with an absolutely incredible puff that made up for it all.

JockBudman

Really interesting to see the documentation of your grow, Mr. Budman. Some trials and tribulations - and triumphs - with these ladies. May I ask what your final potsize is for the eleven weeks plus plants?
You're obviously a sativa lover but blueberry gets mentioned a few times too. Are those lines something that interests you too? How did the blueberry parfum turn out?
Had an amazing one back in '94 which we managed to keep around for a little while. Tallish, wide internodes, shortish branches, purple, crap yield, difficult to get cuttings to root. So a nightmare plant but with an absolutely incredible puff that made up for it all.

The full sativas all get the same treatment - planted in seedling pots and vegged til rooted out, potted on to 2l (although I'm going to shift down to 1l pots for some of the more extreme ones like ot haze) and left to root. Once I see roots at the drainage holes I leave them another week then chuck them into flower. After they show sex I pot the girls up into their final pots - 5 litres.
Doing it this way helps control the stretch a bit although they will still root out the final pots and shoot for the moon so I usually top at the final pot on if not before.

The blueberry parfume is a seed line from @Thcvhunter passed to me by @bleepboop - I also had a sample bud from the more floral side and it was a lovely, well balanced high so I reproed to f3 as best I could and I'm growing those out as and when.
In answer to what I like about it, its a solid hybrid high that works for end of the day relaxation. Not too stoney, not too heady and the taste and scent are delicate and not too pungent. I'm not a big fan of heavy stinkers anymore, they tend to make me more paranoid because I'm worrying about being noticed by the neighbours after a close call with some rank smelling stardawg.

Having said that, the one downside I've found is sadly paranoia and a racing head and heart. Tends to happen when I'm trying to sleep and/or already stressed. But not all phenos do that and it's not every time I vape it, plus I've lowered the dosage a bit now so that's helped and has the added benefit of meaning it lasts longer in the jars.

I also made some crosses with it - purple snake (red snake x bbp) which comes in A and B lines where A is a high yielding oaxcan dom mother and B a lower yielding Colombian dom mother, and TM1 (mystery ace tropical mix female) x bbp. Only tried the TM1 cross so far which comes in a bit faster but throws a few nanas and also seems to make the paranoia even more extreme 🙄 however a lowered dosage is helping with that too.

Long term I might look at crossing the line with another blueberry line but in the medium term I plan to test the purple snake lines and backcross with bbp to hopefully increase yield and vigour. Don't wanna mess with her too much though, she's a seedline that deserves to stay pure.

Sorry for the long reply...

Thcvhunter

Veteran
Sorry to hear about the amphetamine effects.

The parfume and African BB lines were bred to chase down the Hazey side of Haze x BB, BB x Haze, and BB x Malawi/Thai for nerve pain relief.
Where as BBmuffin and BB Pie were to bring a more melting, indica effect for body pain.
My next step re to re blend the hazey side with the indica side.

Thanks for the feedback

Thcvhunter

Veteran
So, I think you're right, that its a mix of Hawaiian F3 and Hawaiian F2 x Jamaican Pineapple Skunk x High Voltage.

I sent F2's of pure Hawaiian to Bleepbloop, but also sent seeds of other lines.
So it looks like he bred with multiple males, and so you got "polluted" seeds - some pure F3s mixed with outcrosses with F2.
Still, its a cool way to be introduced to the Hawaiian line.

My work is all pure, and I have F2, F3, and F4's of the Hawaiian.
When I can, I will do an OP, as well as Backcross to it's Oaxacan and Thai parentage
Interesting @Thcvhunter I've got some of the blueberry parfume so we'll see how similar they come out. I think @bleepboop said the dad was either hv x Jamaican pineapple skunk or a boel hawaiin. So far I'm leaning to a mix.

Good news an bad this week though - survey is no happening so they get to live and finish (hopefully) but bad is there's a mild thrips infestation an a few seeds forming. No idea how coz I can't see any nanas or pods but there's one on the #3 an a few red hairs on some others. Very mild so far but I'll need a close eye on them to make sure its no spreading.

Some shots from approx 5 weeks- all in the same position as before. I'll try an get the numbers wrote down for next time.

View attachment 18754875 View attachment 18754876 View attachment 18754877
View attachment 18754878

The weird peanut bud one. Think it's #6 but I'll check later mebbe.

View attachment 18754879

Seed forming on #3

View attachment 18754880

Full tent shot to close.

I'll try to number them all right whilst I count down the weeks. Think the orange juice (front right) is about 4-5 weeks off. Bangi haze is meant to be done about the same time but lookin at her tiny wee buds I'm guessing longer. Think some of the hawaains will be done before her tbh.

Edit to add - I've got the layout now so they're set up as follows

Bangi Haze - Hawaiin #1 - Hawaiin #4
Hawaiin #3 - Hawaiin #6 - Orange Juice
Hawaiin #2 - Hawaiin #5 - [EMPTY]

bleepboop

I'd mention I've never said that batch was pure, just a dozen or so seeds on one Hawaiian female back in 2018. Not an attempt at breeding as it wasn't on my mind to do so at the time. I tried to cull the males in reasonable time and probably wasn't as observant when it came to intersex traits either.

I tried to do a Hawaiian repro round twice since but failed to get the right combo.

After that the things I actually did properly were:

Blueberry muffin and parfume f2s and a cross.
High voltage f4s, backcross to an f3
F2 of high voltage x trsc ukhrul
Real seed co Tirah repro
Red snake f2s and f3s

That's pretty much everything useful I did in the years afterwards.
I don't know when I will continue as I don't have the time or money to keep it up anymore.

JockBudman

cool thread , great country and great taste in plants. is the redsnake a cbg strain?
It is indeed. Apparently its the pre-release line that shouldn't have been circulated but was. Very glad that I've got it, it's a great seed line and I've got three more vegging as we speak, along with three blueberry parfume.

JockBudman

Thanks to both @Thcvhunter and @bleepboop for the insights on the hawaiins and the parfume. All I can say about the hawaiin is that no matter the make up, they've been a joy to grow. Bit of mild herming but its not been extensive and I'm not expecting too many seeds in the final product - could explain why I got no males though.

As for the blueberry parfume, there's three more in the veg tent and I'm sad I'm running low, I purposefully vaped her and the cross all evening the last few nights and the paranoia/stress is definitely a dosage issue. If I keep it to 0.1g in the mighty between two of us, it's fine- 0.15g though is too much.

Week 9 now and nearing the end. Photos are from Saturday after I took the orange juice down. Since then I've also chopped the hawaiin #1 and there's a few that could come down in the next few days. the rest have a week or two at most.

20221008_175548.jpg

Left side

20221008_175554.jpg

Right side- mostly #6

20221008_175557.jpg

Zamaldelica

20221009_212406.jpg

A raggedy bangi haze with the #5 peeking in

20221009_212645.jpg

Hawaain #1 now cut and hanging to dry.

I'll get more pics as I chop over the next week

Attachments

• 20221008_175548.jpg
    20221008_175548.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 62
[/ICODE]Sorry to hear about the amphetamine effects.
The parfume and African BB lines were bred to chase down the Hazey side of Haze x BB, BB x Haze, and BB x Malawi/Thai for nerve pain relief.
Where as BBmuffin and BB Pie were to bring a more melting, indica effect for body pain.
My next step re to re blend the hazey side with the indica side.

Thanks for the feedbac
The full sativas all get the same treatment - planted in seedling pots and vegged til rooted out, potted on to 2l (although I'm going to shift down to 1l pots for some of the more extreme ones like ot haze) and left to root. Once I see roots at the drainage holes I leave them another week then chuck them into flower. After they show sex I pot the girls up into their final pots - 5 litres.
Doing it this way helps control the stretch a bit although they will still root out the final pots and shoot for the moon so I usually top at the final pot on if not before.

The blueberry parfume is a seed line from @Thcvhunter passed to me by @bleepboop - I also had a sample bud from the more floral side and it was a lovely, well balanced high so I reproed to f3 as best I could and I'm growing those out as and when.
In answer to what I like about it, its a solid hybrid high that works for end of the day relaxation. Not too stoney, not too heady and the taste and scent are delicate and not too pungent. I'm not a big fan of heavy stinkers anymore, they tend to make me more paranoid because I'm worrying about being noticed by the neighbours after a close call with some rank smelling stardawg.

Having said that, the one downside I've found is sadly paranoia and a racing head and heart. Tends to happen when I'm trying to sleep and/or already stressed. But not all phenos do that and it's not every time I vape it, plus I've lowered the dosage a bit now so that's helped and has the added benefit of meaning it lasts longer in the jars.

I also made some crosses with it - purple snake (red snake x bbp) which comes in A and B lines where A is a high yielding oaxcan dom mother and B a lower yielding Colombian dom mother, and TM1 (mystery ace tropical mix female) x bbp. Only tried the TM1 cross so far which comes in a bit faster but throws a few nanas and also seems to make the paranoia even more extreme 🙄 however a lowered dosage is helping with that too.

Long term I might look at crossing the line with another blueberry line but in the medium term I plan to test the purple snake lines and backcross with bbp to hopefully increase yield and vigour. Don't wanna mess with her too much though, she's a seedline that deserves to stay pure.

Sorry for the late reply, Jock. No need to apologise for a a lengthy one - very interesting to read about your methodology and projects.

How old, in average, are your sativas when you put them into flower? They from cuttings or seeds?

Doesn't apply to cuttings but I always liked to wait until they were busting to pop before decreasing the light hours. Using multiple pinches and sometimes root pruning (one to two thirds off, depending on what's taken off the top, as you would with re-vegging or making a bonsai mam) to control size. Like those thick old strong stems supporting multiple small tops.

Never made any seeds myself, at least with any real intention. And the people and most of the lines you mention (apart from the Mexican and Colly) aren't familiar to me but....fascinating to see how you've all worked together to create things that are off the beaten track (at least to me but I ain't exactly in the know so excuse me if I mis-speak).

The blueberry parfum does sound lovely and I hope all your work with it pays off. It sounds very different from the blueberry we had though. I guess it is a hybrid? I feel very nostalgic about the old girl....

The only Hawaiian I ever had a go at was the Hawaiian Snow but only a coupla few of seeds and, whilst I liked it, didn't get anything particularly special. Sounds like yours have had some interesting inputs so'll he curious to see what the results end up being.

Sorry, buggered up the quote thingy and used the wrong one. Don't know how to correct it...

Thcvhunter

Veteran
From seed, if its outdoors, I usually plant around January. So they are vegging under the sun for 5 months or so.
Indoors, I wait at least until preflowers show, or til they get close to a dozen internodes.
I never top my plants. Instead, I bend and tiedown.

BB Parfume was to chase the Mexican / Thai side of BB, so more like Flo, to get feminine perfume smells.
BB muffin is the old classic BB.
I outcross and then incross BB lines to get better results. I just find more BB smells in Bx's and IX's than I do in pure BB lines these days.

Heres one of my favorite plants from the BOEL Hawaiian
20211019_183139.jpg
20211019_183151.jpg

From seed, if its outdoors, I usually plant around January. So they are vegging under the sun for 5 months or so.
Indoors, I wait at least until preflowers show, or til they get close to a dozen internodes.

BB Parfume was to chase the Mexican / Thai side of BB, so more like Flo, to get feminine perfume smells.
I outcross and then incross BB lines to get better results. I just find more BB smells in Bx's and IX's than I do in pure BB lines these days.

Heres one of my favorite plants from the BOEL Hawaiian View attachment 18768492 View attachment 18768493

Hi Thcvhunter - somehow, I managed to quote you instead of Jock, to whom I was replying, sorry - thus the mix up over topping plants.

But great to read your reply regardless.

Sounds like you're in a better climate than mine and in a larger space indoors than I:be ever used. Must be cool to be able to watch the plants more fully express themselves. Beautiful man.

You clearly enjoy working with the blueberry - what's your favourite expression and I wonder if you've encountered something like I described in my first post?

Admitting my ignorance, I don't know what the classic blueberry is. I never encountered anyone else growing it in my neck if the woods (but it's not like I was in the thick of things) so would be happy to hear/see what you feel epitomises it's expression, if you don't mind sharing the info.

Heres one of my favorite plants from the BOEL Hawaiian View attachment 18768492 View attachment 18768493

The Hawaiian looks beautiful as well. Is it from seed stock or cuttings? Is the information regarding it's heritage from the Brotherhood or is that something your experience with traditional varietals told you? How does she smoke?

Last edited:

JockBudman

Week 10 update, late again. Most are down now and hanging to dry. I've got shots of all of them just before chopping plus shots of all the ones that are left. Orange juice is dry and a nice, strong, tasty vape. I wouldn't say its orange flavoured though, more of a melon type thing going on.

20221015_170925.jpg

#2 just before the chop

20221015_171351.jpg

#3 nice thick skunky fruit smell off this

20221015_171417.jpg

#3 side view

20221015_172227.jpg

#5 bud

20221017_222825.jpg

#5 full plant

I'll do the ones left in another post...

Attachments

• 20221015_171417.jpg
    20221015_171417.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 67

JockBudman

Here's what's left in the tent for now. I think all but the zamaldelica will come down this coming weekend unless there's a really good reason not to, they're looking pretty close to done, I just felt these ones needed another week.

20221017_222903.jpg

#4 there's some wonderful reds coming through on this one, just a shame she's so low yielding

20221015_172831.jpg

Zamaldelica chugging along

20221017_222939.jpg

#6 now an absolute beast, huge chunky buds that look a lot like the example posted by @Thcvhunter above. Really looking forward to trying this one

20221017_223001.jpg

Very sad looking bangi haze. I couldve taken this one at the same time as the others but I'm hoping another week swells her a bit more. Possibly a congo dom pheno? That or she just didn't like my handling.

That's it for now, I'll post the final chop shots and vape reports as and when.

Ganja gu brath

Latest posts

Latest posts