What's new

jamaican "lambsbread"

Marcus67

7C9972FD-B1D0-49AC-99D1-92970766219A.jpeg
0281626A-0CFF-4917-A9C6-729E2AD50AFC.jpeg

Roms

.bzh
Veteran
Ya know the Lambsbread is Narrow Leaf Drug and not Narrow Leaf Hemp lol No one true hemp in India, Pakistan or Afghanistan imho! All is a question of latitude and sun, the transformation NLH from NLD happened from the spread and acclimatization to up 40°N, it's so simple!

And is NLH can retransform to NLD ? Probably yes but really need big time and man selection, and why do it if you have NLD seeds?
Maybe a light hybridization NLD x NLH happened in Jamaica but sincerely i do no believe it al all.

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
Moroccan beldia and perhaps some old European landraces are probably closely related to hemp. Yet they would get you high so technically they evolved into NLD. This new classification system can't really mark the difference, but nothing is perfect.

Lambsbead though is probably wholly NLD.

Marcus67

Back then in the 1800s, the only difference between the word hemp and Ganjah (as it was spelled then) was if the male plants were left in the fields. Indian Hemp was just another word for Marijuana and it had THC. Hemp in modern times means something very different.

Marcus67

By the way, I contacted Bushman over Instagram and he said he doesn’t have access to Lambsbread and to maybe try in Accapong Maroontown. We PMed a few times and he didn’t confirm that he ever had access to Lambsbread after I told him about this strain out of France, but was interested in Generett Farms in Westmoreland who found it after much effort (sadly I don’t think they are in business anymore, not sure). Did anyone ever confirm the origins of this with him? I am not suggesting anything here other than wondering if it was verified.

Marcus67

Hemp vs Ganjah in the 1800s. Note they suggest maybe Ganjah was more indica but that it mainly has to do with seeding:

Roms

.bzh
Veteran
Marcus, by the way of your retrograde thinkings and ignorance of smoking and growing some 16/20 weeks selected NLD i suggest you to primo read carefully this thread from the start, secundo growing your uncle's seeds and tertio compare it with some Kerala, Oaxaca, Ethiopia, Malawi or Papua for example. Then without a doubt you will read more clearly the 19th newspapers you post about hemp and realize that your uncle preservation is relative and far from the improvement of our Vibes Collective line! And lol but anyway in India the lambsbread is alive, landrace and strong, no problem!

Sadly yes nowadays in Jamaica even Bushman like the majority of (pseudo) rastas from town had lost their ganjah and lambsbread like they lost the purity of their reggae or the integrity of their sacred history. Of course and hopefully there will always be a handful of irreducible true aware and wise ones from India to Jamaica but hey we live the end of the modern era, the cap isn't far and the golden age will be back after the actual darkness but need some better level of consciousness to be aboard of the next time of lights. Peace, lively up yourself.

Marcus67

Roms, I am a bit confused by the hostility lol. I am especially confused by the assumptions. I’ve grown Zamal, Malawi, original federation seed Hawaii etc. I am happy to be around people that care about the quality of the effect over strength, smell, looks etc. For that reason don’t view this as competition, I care about these things and am not in the business of selling seeds. My uncle never grew this to preserve or sell seeds. His strain is imbred probably and would need work and crossing it (to a certain degree) with another heirloom Jamaican probably. So don’t feel
threatened lol. My unclejust liked the effect of the Jamaican better than new weed and was unaware up
until a week ago how rare old Jamaican is. Also
note that his strain was called Collie Weed (probably what the Indian Jamaican “coolies” smoked in the late 1800/early 1900s).

Reg India: sadly, old Indian strains are under threat too.

As for not reading all of this thread, I have been reading it on and off throughout the years. Forgive me if I forgot anything as it is huge lol. Let me know what facts I’m missing and roughly where to look. Thank you and the rest of you that grow for presentation work.

Last edited:

willydread

Dread & Alive
Veteran
There is no need for discussion, there are so many legends about cannabis in Jamaica (from the introduction due to the pirates, or the slaves, or H. I. M. Selassie) that you never know what really happened ...
Honestly, not much is known about the use of "smoking" cannabis among slaves in Jamaica, however since immigrating (1850/early 900)from punjabi, madras, gujarat and calcutta things like ganjah, chillum, collie weed have become part of the habits of the class "lower" than Jamaicans ...(not only Rastas)
When in 1939 the Honorable Leonard Percival Howell The Gong founded Pinnacle, the first Rasta community, one of the main agricultural products intended for sale was ganjah, so there was certainly a habitual use among the population ...

About a Bushman(I have the utmost respect for him, both as an Artist and as a Person) it's a classic Jamaican story,take it easy ;)

Montuno

...como el Son...
... Y recordad la gran posibilidad de que el cannabis fuese introducido en Jamaica antes, durante epoca colonial española, como ocurrió con el plátano, la caña de azúcar o todos los cítricos, importados desde España...
Recordad que la introduccion y difusion histórica del cannabis en America, surge por orden de Hernán Cortés en Nueva España (México), en el marco de la construcción del primer astillero en América también ordenada por él, para así poder construir y disponer de una flota propia (sin tener que depender de suministros desde la lejanisima Sevilla o Islas Canarias) con la que poder competir en el descubrimiento y conquista de nuevos territorios hacia el Norte con su principal rival, el adelantado de Jamaica Francisco de Garay, Adelantado y Gobernador de Jamaica, (quien debía haber conquistado México "según los planes", había torpedeado la conquista de Cortés hasta el punto de enfrentarse militarmente a el a media conquista tras pedir a sus aliados mesoamericanos que lo traicionasen...
Tan difícil e improbable sería que De Garay hubiese seguido también la estrategia de " autosuficiencia" de Cortés??

... And remember the great possibility that cannabis was introduced in Jamaica before, during the Spanish colonial period, as happened with bananas, sugar cane or all citrus fruits, imported from Spain... Remember that the introduction and historical diffusion of cannabis in America, arises by order of Hernán Cortés in New Spain (Mexico), in the framework of the construction of the first shipyard in America also ordered by him, in order to be able to build and have his own fleet (without having to depend on supplies from the far away Seville or Canary Islands) with which to compete in the discovery and conquest of new territories to the North with his main rival, Francisco de Garay, Jamaica's Adelantado and Governor, who was to have conquered Mexico "according to plan", had torpedoed Cortés' conquest to the point of confronting him militarily mid-conquest after asking his Mesoamerican allies to betray him. .. How difficult and improbable would it be for De Garay to have followed Cortés' strategy of "self-sufficiency"??...

TheRealHash

Horticultural enthusiast
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Marcus, by the way of your retrograde thinkings and ignorance of smoking and growing some 16/20 weeks selected NLD i suggest you to primo read carefully this thread from the start, secundo growing your uncle's seeds and tertio compare it with some Kerala, Oaxaca, Ethiopia, Malawi or Papua for example. Then without a doubt you will read more clearly the 19th newspapers you post about hemp and realize that your uncle preservation is relative and far from the improvement of our Vibes Collective line! And lol but anyway in India the lambsbread is alive, landrace and strong, no problem!

Sadly yes nowadays in Jamaica even Bushman like the majority of (pseudo) rastas from town had lost their ganjah and lambsbread like they lost the purity of their reggae or the integrity of their sacred history. Of course and hopefully there will always be a handful of irreducible true aware and wise ones from India to Jamaica but hey we live the end of the modern era, the cap isn't far and the golden age will be back after the actual darkness but need some better level of consciousness to be aboard of the next time of lights. Peace, lively up yourself.
What line in India resembles the lambs bread? I have burnham redeye on the way and I have a couple Indian varieties I could try working them together..I have one called Yamuna that is somewhat rare.

Big vibes to vibes collective~ I hope positive energy radiates throughout and takes away your irritation and negativity. 🙌

Roms

.bzh
Veteran
What line in India resembles the lambs bread? I have burnham redeye on the way and I have a couple Indian varieties I could try working them together..I have one called Yamuna that is somewhat rare.

From the big South i would say, like below a line between Bombay and Visakhapatnam. Simply all related to flowering time around 18/24.. weeks (low latitude powa)

Your Yamuna seems to be from the North near Nepal so more 14/16 weeker i guess, anyway top irie weed enjoy! I think that the kind lambsbread is just more pure NLD with clearer energizing and higher feelings. Nepalese is more balanced with body relax compared to the electric pure sat' from the South closer to the equator.

Marcus67

Great info here. I will respond to several posts at once, forgive me.

Very interesting about the African and Spanish connection. What is interesting is that we can now- as of only a couple of years ago- digitally search through newspaper archives going back to the 1700s. Unless someone had millions of hours to physically look through papers in the past, a lot of this information is only now being rediscovered as we can do keyword searches. What the archives are showing is that hemp/ganja wasn’t being grown on a large scale in Jamaica in the past (before late 1800s). The Indian connection seems to be where most of the genetics from
Jamaica came from (what as dominant in the 60s/70s which is our point of reference I assume ). South Bengal (and surrounding areas) was likely the main source of ganjah production from the articles from that era. This was also where most Indian workers left from (to Mauritius/Reunion- Jamaica etc). The British were in the business of selling opium and probably also exported ganjah to sell to the workers. Articles from the early 1900s state that most consumers of ganjah initially in Jamaica were Indian workers (as opposed to African Jamaicans) , so it is entirely in the business model of the British of that time to have tried to profit from that by controlling production in India for export.

This is not to say other genetics were not present in Jamaica in the 60s/70s, from
before Indian genetics came and after. My uncle remembers a Jewish guy importing seeds from Nepal into Jamaica (late 70s/80s) stating that it was really good weed. But the common theory that most genetics come from Indian Sativa makes perfect sense to me.

To me, old pictures of Jamaican Lambsbread look most like Bengali and Bangladesh sativas even more so than Kerala, but of course they have a common origin there as well.

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
Was watching a documentary on the TV this week about a Hindustan guy from Surinam, who got back to India, where his ancestors came from and that was the region of Bihar.After the abolition of slavery in Surinam in 1863 there was a shortage of workers in the sugarcane plantation, so recruiters traveled to the poorest parts of India for workers and Bihar was one of the poorest regions.

Screenshot_20211030-120946_Drive_2.jpg

​​​​​​​

wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==