What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Jact55 Landrace Thread

TexasTea

Curious Cannivore
Veteran
Too bad on the k1...better luck on the next try maybe?

If you pollinate early, how much earlier might you see a plant finish? I had a male and female Black Willies from Reeferman. Let the male get going full flower and collected several packets which are now in the fridge with dessicant. Killed the male this weekend. The female is heavily seeded. Will she likely finish sooner than usual? This is my first time intentionally making seeds.

thejact55

Oh yeah, ill try em again no doubt.

Yes the seeds mature faster than the bud will normally finish. I generally bank on 5-6 weeks after pollination. This goes for an 8 week strain or an 18 week strain. I dont find that the sativas take any longer for seeds. The bud itself might not be 100 percent done when the seeds are.

I did a write up recently in the strains and breeding main section called "the seed pickers thread". Might be worth a read if this is your first time. I posted it maybe 2 weeks back, so you might have to scroll a bit.

oldbootz

Veteran
Yea I think its 4 weeks for usual seed maturation so 5-6 weeks after pollination should be fine even for long plants. What I found the trick to be for nice seeds is to chop the plant and dry it whole for 2-3 weeks before taking the seeds out. They need to dry properly before you can pop them out the calyxes. The best seeds are th ones that fall off by themselves.

seeded

5-6 weeks is usually enough for most plants to mature their seeds but you can't overcook seeds at all so if you're hoping to get a bit of smoko from the plants as well you should definitely run them full term and harvest the seeds as they come.

GoatCheese

Veteran
Only 4 weeks for the seeds to mature may not be long enough, even if you may get high germ rate with 4 weeks on the plant.

I have read that longer maturing time for seeds give them longer shelf life, but i haven't tested this out.

I usually like to give seeds (atleast) six weeks before chopping the plant down.

troutman

Seed Whore
The longer you let seeds mature the better. The amount of good ones increase and their coloration
gets nicer with each passing week. I let seeds matures at least 8 weeks and wait until the calyxes
take on a dried look to them before I cut the plants down. I also test a random bud beforehand to
let me know how things are going.

Truhan

that K1 does not look much like Kalite.

The grapes that I have grown, all showed narrow leaves.

the high range of hermaphroditism they present is very likely due to latitude and longer light cycles.

all beautiful for your garden

regards

TexasTea

Curious Cannivore
Veteran
13 hours of sunlight today on Reunion Island. I'd imagine plants can flower at that rate but might it take forever to finish? I have no idea how much their daylight hours vary throughout the year either.

oldbootz

Veteran
In south africa 30° south, we can flower out full indica plants during summer months with 14 hours of light per day. They dont make such big bud like winter but its definitely worth to get some bud without planting autos. Our landrace stuff will only go into flower at the last week of february usually.

troutman

Seed Whore

thejact55

Truhan- that was kind of my thought to. I expected different. The seeds came in the french touch burlap packaging, so i dont think i got the swapperoo. Maybe an odd pheno.

As far as hermie, i feel it is my fault. I didnt treat is 100 percent as a pure tropical sativa. I had it on 24 hrs for a bit under an LED, then moved it right to 11/13 under a hps. Next time i will adhere to a more strict tropical schedule from the start.
Like you all are saying, maybe start 13/11 then 12/12 then maybe 11/13.

Hey, new member here, just spent an hour reading through this forum, wanted to say thanks to jact for putting all of this together taking the time for this long project and your pictures are beautiful, hope you keep up the good work!

TexasTea

Curious Cannivore
Veteran
Jact, if the plant didn't look as expected, makes you wonder if the population is pure after all? Are they getting much genetic pollution there like so many other places?

thejact55

Im not sure. Im sure the place will have a surge of western genetics, as all places are. But what ive seen from french touch zamal seems to be real deal. Maybe if my plant was left to grow that wild look would have appeared.
Im more assured now though. I just tossed the k1 hermie tonight. In comparison to the double zamal, they have the same exact distinct structure and side growth. Exact. Either way, i just recieved 20 more K1 and 10 mangu carot so this test has more to show.(and some durban punch freebies, i have durban out the ears all the sudden). Carlos @ tropical seeds had good service.
So in the double zamal i have 3 confirmed males and one confirmed female, who is the nicest of them all. One more unconfirmed but i feel strongly its a female. I tossed one dub zamal hermie also tonight. Lastly one crazy mutant that doesnt matter but it hasnt shown yet.
The guatemala arent doing well. Not sure if ph or nute burn but heavy crisping on leaves. I think most will make it, maybe one or two will be lost. I got lazy and didnt make my owl soil this run. Never again. Ive had more issues this round than most.
The blueberry are on 12/12 now. They were showing a deficiency, but i hit em with a heavy nute drink. They responded well. Then tonight I hit them with some tea and top dress to hopefully get them deep into flower. I took fresh stronger clones to make sure i get rooted copies of each plant.

thejact55

Thats kind of a loaded question with landraces. Each will have its own unique traits that suite its climate and geoghraphy.
Sinai- great drought resistance. So if you suck at remembering to water, this one is forgiving
Nepal strains can take a cold night better than a equatorial sativa.
Most are going to be more forgiving than normal western strains, if you grow in numbers. The diversity within a landrace strain makes it so when one may fall vicitm, the rest might not. Make sense.
Now that all being said- strains from afganistan, pakistan, egypt, lebanon, morocco ect are probably the easiest to grow, as sativa types are nutrient finicky, long flowering and get huge.

I picked up some Afghani land race, so im hoping in spring to start growing it out quite abit and create a beautiful garden to say the least. But im also hoping to breed them on the same hand. Keep my seed vault going on. Such a pricey thing to get into haha