What's new

I've been doing ZERO runoff for 6 months. Complete Success.

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran
Why is 1.3g/per watt raising eyebrows? No comprende

I would say most should be hitting 1 at least. water wicks through coco.. you really don't need run off. im not even sure canna even say you should water till run off.

watering with run off is also a waste of water and nutrients.

Weeded1s

I have plants now 2 months no run off..went from veg n is now 2 weeks n flower and everything looks great. Imbusing 1.2 ec and 1.5ec

I have plants now 2 months no run off..went from veg n is now 2 weeks n flower and everything looks great. Imbusing 1.2 ec and 1.5ec

This is the key. The reason people get into trouble is the really high EC feeding. We never really need to go over 1.8 even on the most aggressive strains.

leyus

Ok so except steady rising my ec now to about 0.7 and finally to 1.0 in veg and 1.2 in flowering I shouldn't do anything else. I assume those values are total ec so my 0.2 water included in it (so 0.5 from nutes now, 0.8 finally in vegging and 1.0 in flowering). That's excellent. Thanks guys.

Ok so except steady rising my ec now to about 0.7 and finally to 1.0 in veg and 1.2 in flowering I shouldn't do anything else. I assume those values are total ec so my 0.2 water included in it (so 0.5 from nutes now, 0.8 finally in vegging and 1.0 in flowering). That's excellent. Thanks guys.

yup. and 1x a week i also hit them with a .5 feed of just cal mag and molasses. really helps balance things out and gives them a break, makes them very hungry for the next feed.

theother

Sorry just gotta weigh in on this. I have done runs with no runoff, and I have always seen signs of salt buildup, never bad, still absolute dank, but ya, I can see it.

Really the big question is does our nute mix end up forming insoluble salts periodically. I am of the opinion that yes it does, it's impossible IMO to wrap your head around not getting something bound out/not used by he plant/modified by wet dry cycles/leaving part of itself behind etc. It is just bound to happen. The question then is does the dc/pekacid somehow allow the plant to take this up? IMO we wouldn't want the plant to take this up, there is gonna be all kinds of strange stuff left in the media after the plant has used what it wants, the idea of a magic bullet that makes all this usable.

IMO you are going to have things like EDTA with the iron already broken away, tons of insoluble potassium from ph up, weird bonded elements (iron phosphate, potassium oxide) that just shouldn't be plant food. They need to go somewhere and honestly I wouldn't want to stuff them into my plant.

Fwiw for the longest time I so desperately wanted to find a way to get rid of runoff, many places have 8' ceilings, I hated the idea of loosing 6"+ to a floor. What changed my mind was a friends garden. He got some pm, got him fucked up. The next run I helped him with green cure and sulpher and pretty much completely eliminated that stuff. Around week 5 or 6 I started seeing it coming back and it just seemed more virilant than it had before. After about a week of scratching my head I started to see the signs of salt buildup. Happy plants, no pm, slight salt buildup, that shit came back tough. This isn't an example in the sense that you will get pm, it's just an idea of plant health using resistance to pm as a gauge.

Runoff maintains an optimum root zone, not 100% necessary! but quiet nice just the same.

Miraculous Meds

Ur water ec is not included when talking about giving them 1.0 to 1.2 ec. So if ur water was .5ec u would want to give them 1.0 to 1.2ec of nutrients still, so ur ending ec would be 1.5 to 1.7ec.

Just because ur water has salts in it, it doesn't give ur plants the correct ratios of each element like the base coco feed at 1.0 to 1.2ec.

And by the way 1.0 to 1.2 ec usually works all the way through a plants life. If they are real small u can start out with half that but most times u can give them 1.0ec even just rooted. Its such a low amount but is enough to feed them as they need. Next time u water and get run off ur replacing what the plant didn't use and giving exactly the right ratio of nutrients again. this is the advantage of using coco.

So are you hand watering?

When you harvest you are getting like 100 lbs? Damn dude, you must REALLY like getting high! What kind of landrace strain you growing? I've grown lambsbread landrace and I couldn't even get half a gram per Watt, and it's a 20 week strain! You gotta share what your secret is!

stoned40yrs

Ripped since 1965
Veteran
The question then is does the dc/pekacid somehow allow the plant to take this up? IMO we wouldn't want the plant to take this up, there is gonna be all kinds of strange stuff left in the media after the plant has used what it wants, the idea of a magic bullet that makes all this usable.

IMO you are going to have things like EDTA with the iron already broken away, tons of insoluble potassium from ph up, weird bonded elements (iron phosphate, potassium oxide) that just shouldn't be plant food. They need to go somewhere and honestly I wouldn't want to stuff them into my plant.

That's a nice scary bedtime story for growers:biggrin:
The way I understand it pekacid doesn't work like that. It doesn't allow the plant to take up whatever witches brew is in the medium. It allows the plant to take up the proper nutrients FROM a witches brew in the medium.
That's what I read anyway:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...eh_AZ3GwdntswL7myA&bvm=bv.78597519,bs.1,d.cGE

stoned40yrs

Ripped since 1965
Veteran
No runoff works, runoff works:biggrin: Any new guys I highly suggest when doing no runoff you flush at least once a week with a lot of runoff using low strength nutes.:tiphat: