What's new

Its time for another Coffee Lovers thread!

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
My fellow coffee lovers what do you guys think of KEURIG coffee makers?? These are the ones that brew 1 cup at a time. They use cartridges that have the coffee in them. I might buy one..I like the idea of brewing me a cup up to 16oz size.. My coffee maker I have now its not easy to make a good 1 cup of coffee. Most of the time its way to strong. I hate wasting my coffee its expensive..

teemu shalanie

WeeDGamE StannisBaratheoN
Veteran
I really never used to drink coffee, but does anyone else notice a crazy high smokin ganja/ coffee?, I get super tweaked,.... kinda like it !!

2. i am from canada and the coffee industry here is ran like the mexicans run the coke in the US, Tim hortons has people lined up around the corner, out the door and drive through?, wtf is in T.H's coffee?, I think afgan herion? if u r a canuk tell me I wrong ?, everyone is on the Timmy HOEs tip,.....
TS

S

Scrappy-doo

I love me some nice tasty dunkin donuts coffee. Specially when it's been sitting around for like a half hour on the pot. Man oh man it doesn't get much better than that.

P

PermaBuzz

I like Dunkin Donut coffee too - but not as much after it has sat for half an hour.
Starbucks is good too - but its strong. Caribou is good too.

Jamiacan Blue Mountain is the best of the best - the piff of coffees. Suprised nobody mentioned it yet. Good excuse to go to Jamaica as I cant recall seeing it anywhere else.

S

SeaMaiden

I've had the Jamaican Blue Mountain, and honestly, I thought it was awful. Puerto Rican coffees, IF you can find them, are far superior, but as I think either I or my husband mentioned earlier in this thread, we love our Central American highlands coffees best. Mexican Altura, Guatemalan, Panamanian, everything we've tried grown in that region is, for us, just superior.

I've been trying my hand (when he lets me) at the roasting, and it's kind of fun but I'd still like to see it happen in something open where I can see the beans. The roaster just doesn't let you see inside very well at all.

P

PermaBuzz

I've had the Jamaican Blue Mountain, and honestly, I thought it was awful. Puerto Rican coffees, IF you can find them, are far superior, but as I think either I or my husband mentioned earlier in this thread, we love our Central American highlands coffees best. Mexican Altura, Guatemalan, Panamanian, everything we've tried grown in that region is, for us, just superior.

I've been trying my hand (when he lets me) at the roasting, and it's kind of fun but I'd still like to see it happen in something open where I can see the beans. The roaster just doesn't let you see inside very well at all.

Where did you have the jamaican blue? If it wasnt actually direct from Jamaica from a personal visit, then there is a very good chance of having the outcome you had.

I have seen it rarely for sale at a few gourmet type retail places and it always sucked. Usually because it was a blend and not 100% Jam Blue or else it was old stock. Never really understood why its not a commercial success in the US.

It has no bitterness, none of that typical bite that all over coffees seem to have. It is a very light type of bean and takes more beans to brew - ie: more wasteful.

S

SeaMaiden

That would explain why it seemed to lack flavor to me. We've done one batch of green beans from Sweet Maria's ourselves, if I recollect correctly. So expensive green, and I felt the CA highland coffees were so superior that we've never tried again.

masamaaso

Veteran
The roaster just doesn't let you see inside very well at all.

Fle market,,cheap iron wok, med to high heat, keep um moving till desired color.

Attachments

• IMGP0475.JPG
    IMGP0475.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 32
T

toughmudderdave

Tom, the cupper/buyer over at Sweet Maria's has gone on record stating that he won't buy Jamaican unless the quality gets better. Here's what he has to say on their site...
We have not sold Jamaican coffee in over four years now - the samples are just DOA - simply no fragrance, no aroma, nor origin flavors, just roast taste. There's nothing there to encourage me to offer it, at any price. Jamaica is a mild coffee and is not going to konk you over the head even at it's best - but at its best it ought to be on a par with the best Konas; clean, floral, sweet. Some say that the best Jamaican coffee goes to Japan, and what we see in the US is the dregs. I am not sure if that is true, since it has been a long time since a Jamaican sample impressed me enough to buy it. The last Jamaican sample I roasted was a peaberry and it was so soft that it literally opened up in roasting.

Again, Seamaiden and I prefer the Centrals the most. I just ordered 15lbs of green beans from Costa Rica, El Salvador, and Nicaragua. Yumm.

T

toughmudderdave

So I just got delivered 1lb of Panamanian Esmeralda Gesha coffee. $30 bucks a pound and one of the most sought after coffees in the world. I got it to take down to the in-laws for Thanksgiving...bringing my very own Chocolate Decadence Cheesecake and this coffee...

The Esmeralda coffee farm in Panama has consistently been one of the most sought-after coffees of recent years. Esmeralda coffee is sold at auction and can reach some pretty lofty prices, but only in coffe terms! Panama Esmeralda is without doubt one of the best coffees in the world

Quote from Sweet Maria's own website...
We have offered Esmeralda Especial Gesha for a decade now. Gesha (often spelled, wishfully, as Geisha) is a cultivar with strong Ethiopian roots. It's rare that a coffee variety announces itself so clearly in the cup flavors as the Gesha cultivar does in Panamanian coffee. Extremely floral in the aromatics, with loads of tropical fruit, light bodied and delicate on one hand, yet extremely flavorful and long-lasting on the palate. There is no other coffee quite like it. And other farms that have cultivated Gesha don't often attain the cup quality of the best Esmeralda Gesha. The Esmeralda Gesha makes blind cupping almost senseless, since I can identify its amazing fragrance, aroma and cup flavors immediately when I come upon it in a "blind" cupping! It is that dry fragrance that lets you know right away what is coming when the water hits the cup: incredible sweet floral, citrus blossom, sweet honey perfume atomized into the air. In terms of intensity, fruited and floral aspects, wet-processed Ethiopians and Kenyas are more in league with Gesha than any other Central American coffee. But it is difficult to price this sort of cup character. And when it is as exotic ...no, extraterrestrial ... as the Esmeralda Gesha, it is even more hard to quantify. In tasting the Gesha coffees, the cup flavors might seem less intense than the extreme aromatics. As the cup cools, perceived intensity and brightness will increase exponentially.

Aromatically, Gesha from Esmeralda is always a treat. Sweet dark berry aromatics with a floral accent, almost like fresh hopped beer. The wet aroma has jasmine and ripe cherry notes, honey, brown bread, and soft milk chocolate at slightly darker roast levels. The cup has a light-yet-juicy body. Interestingly, after these knock-out aromatics, the first sip of the hot brew can be a little bit underwhelming. Wait for the temperature to drop a few degrees and it really "opens up." The sweetness and fruit juice aspects of this years Esmeralda are astounding. Interestingly, this coffee is slightly inverted this year: the first flavors on the palate are super sweet stone fruits - peach, apricot followed by a juicy tartaric acidity like white grape. Then on the finish and in the "afternose" there is jasmine accents. Usually the floral comes first, then a wave of sweet fruit. The cup has a better structure, well-knit flavors, brightness and body.

Brother Bear

Simple kynd of man
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I like a nice strong cup of coffee. Two spoons of sugar. Mix with a cup of hot chocolate, and a cup of milk. Then i like to drink it fast :dance013:

DIDM

Malaika
Veteran
Stumptown Coffee

/thread

it is the best hands down. from san fran to seattle I have never had better coffee. Every good place in PDX serves Stumptown

T

toughmudderdave

My "Coffee Bar"...
picture.php

A closeup of last nights roast...A wonderful Costa Rican Helsar Caturra roasted to a Full City+...
picture.php