What's new

It's not just your Grandfather's Synthetic Marijuana anymore.

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
Likely most of you have heard the horror stories that circulate a couple of decades ago about people smoking what was called Synthetic Marijuana sold in colorful packaging with names like K2, Scooby Snax, Bizzaro or Spice, to name a few examples. This synthetic Marijuana was basically the same as smoking another popular designer drug that became popular under the name of "Bath Salts". About the closest they came to being like marijuana is that they tended to attach to the same receptor sites as Delta 9 THC would attach to. However their effects were nothing like marijuana. Now there were all kinds of stories that were in the news that was very scary about what this stuff would do. The reason there were so many different stories is because not all products sold as Synthetic Marijuana used the same chemicals. The one that shocked me the most was one that came from the wife of someone serving in the US Military (I don't remember which branch) Her husband basically began smoking the Synthetic Marijuana to avoid coming up dirty in random drug testing they were doing on the bases. She reported that her husband got to a point where he was so out of it and disoriented that he forgot how to eat food. Now over the years I've done LSD, PCP, Psilocybin, Mescaline and of course Cannabis. Now I definitely reach points of extreme disorientation and delusion but I never once forgot how to eat. So I found that story to be particularly scary that something one could buy over the counter in a gas station could have that strong of an effect.

Basically the approach this line of products used was they would treat legal herbs with designer drugs that had yet to be classified as illegal and this was how they could be sold legally Of course the drug would eventually be discovered and made illegal but the "designers" making the drug would just change the formula slightly so as to make it enough different from what was illegal and yet still create a high. In this way they manage to keep being sold legally for quite some time. Eventually after enough time passed and enough horror stories circulated it all became banned regardless of the chemical composition and the synthetic market died off for a while.

Well there is a new player, actually multiple players in town using a whole new approach. See the main component of Cannabis that makes it illegal is Delta 9 THC but there is a close relative that has almost the same effect just not quite as pronounced called Delta 8 THC. Now Delta 8 THC does occur naturally in Cannabis and Hemp as does Delta 9 THC but natural Delta 8 occurs in such small quantities that it's insignificant. In relatively recent times though people have learned how to synthesize Delta 8 THC from other cannabinoids that do occur naturally and in abundance but do not have any real psychoactive effect, things like CBD derived from Hemp being that this is not Delta 9 THC it skirts the Federal Scheduling of Cannabis and that combined with a recent law that was passed legalizing Hemp and all Hemp derivatives has made it possible to sell what they are calling Synthetic Marijuana that is much safer then the Synthetic Marijuana of just a couple of decades ago. You can find it in Head Shops, some Smoke Shops, some Vape Shops and yes, some gas stations. There is one condition these products have to meet to remain legal and that's that they contain .o3% or less Delta 9 THC which is true of most Hemp and why they synthesize it from Hemp/

Now I'm telling you all this because I just recently learned that these products exist and since it's based solely off of Hemp and not made by spraying designer drugs on herbs, I decided to give it a try. I got to tell you I was pleasantly surprised. I bought one pre rolled cone, you can also get it in blunt form and there are a number of edibles based off this stuff. The place where I got it from had several different flavors and it came in 3 main groups, Sativa, Indica and Hybrid. I decided to go with the Hybrid and purchased on pre rolled cone. When I got home I smoked a little bit less then half. Now I've smoked many true or real cannabis products that were much better but for what it was it gave a pretty impressive high and tasted pretty much like reasonably decent weed the flavor I got ended up having a kind off piney undertone to it. It came on about as quick as if I smoked the same amount of good bud and it had a strong enough high that I didn't want to finish the cone but rather save some for later. Now to be fair it may have hit me harder then it might hit a regular smoker of Cannabis but that might be due to the fact circumstance for me have been such that I haven't had any real Cannabis for about 4 years or so. The high lasted about the same time as regular Cannabis but one nice surprise was that it didn't have any couchlock effect, didn't give me the munchies and while I felt high I didn't really notice any side effects like forgetfulness, difficulty concentrating or any other undesirable side effects typically associated with Cannabis.

Iwould definitely say this stuff is worth a try just so long as you make sure it's the kind derived from Hemp and not some re-emergence of the bad synthetic Marijuana of years past. I wouldn't encourage regular use of this stuff though because it's too new, too untested and too unregulated. I would also say that it's not a great substitute for the real deal but it's a satisfactory substitute if one is in a long drawn out dry spell where they can't get ahold of the real thing. It's a little pricey in my opinion but not too bad, the one pre rolled cone cost me about $6.50. I'll attach some pictures below so you can get an idea of what it looks like and so you can read the disclaimers and what not on the package.
synthcanna1.JPG

synthcanna2.JPG

Now like I said above it is unregulated and untested and there have been negative reports of people that did too much of it at once, not unlike first time Cannabis users that over do it. So it's something one should be cautious with. For that reason I've included a link that points out 5 important aspects to consider before using this stuff:

https://www.fda.gov/consumers/consu...bout-delta-8-tetrahydrocannabinol-delta-8-thc

My final verdict is that it's relatively safe and realtively enjoyable but should me be just kept as an occasional guilty pleasure when you really want to catch a buzz but you just can't find any real stuff anywhere.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
i've tried it a few times. the pre-rolled cones with the oil drizzled on the outside were damn near impossible to smoke without getting it all over you. no real complaints other than that, and its relatively low scent/taste compared to real weed. the buzz was pretty immediate as well... i just hope legislators here don't use this stuff as an excuse to not deal with real cannabis.

Reactions: ost

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
I thought it was salvia. I bought some of that a couple of years ago, and was scared to try it after reading about it, and seeing the guy fall out the window. They still sell research chemicals that mimick almost anything you want. I worry if government setup. Read about some on reddit, and most were more addictive since they removed some negative side effects of the core drugs they were replacing. Think I would rather find some shrooms.

Cuddles

I heard of Spice but that was years and years ago. I recall it being discussed on TV and the news and so on and guess what? They were telling people that it´s dangerous. I admit that I was tempted at the time but never got a chance to try it. To be honest I wouldn´t know where to get hold of it round here.
Good to hear about this kinda stuff from someone who´s got first hand experience, thanks for sharing :)

I think they made it illegal in my country but I could be mistaken.
Btw Is it cheaper than buying weed ?

chilliwilli

Waterboy
I could try the first gen spice and it was not good. After opening the pack it was clear that this is not a blend of different herbs. It was an homogeneous herbal mass with honey like smell. When smoked in a joint it had a nice artificial honey sweet taste. The effect was like smoking weed but more relaxing/dulling than getting high. I still was a little dulled the next day from that one joint. Price was like weed ~10 euro/g.
For me it was lame copy of weed so no more tries after the first. Later generations of the synthetic stuff were worse like instant panik attacks or major desorientation if u smoked too much.
the delta 8 sounds interresting but is illegal in my country so i stick with regular weed.

shithawk420

Veteran
I heard of Spice but that was years and years ago. I recall it being discussed on TV and the news and so on and guess what? They were telling people that it´s dangerous. I admit that I was tempted at the time but never got a chance to try it. To be honest I wouldn´t know where to get hold of it round here.
Good to hear about this kinda stuff from someone who´s got first hand experience, thanks for sharing :)

Don't touch it cuddles.i guess nobody remembers of a person that won't be named cause I don't wanna be banned.he bought that shit from China and sprayed it on " herbs" to make a buck. It's not worth it and it's not salvia.just don't say I didn't warn ya.

I've seen people die from that shit almost like heroin.even I won't touch it.whatever this new direvetive is than do so at your own risk.tons of pot nowadays.cant find any weed or hash? I just don't wanna see anyone get hurt

Cuddles

Don't touch it cuddles.i guess nobody remembers of a person that won't be named cause I don't wanna be banned.he bought that shit from China and sprayed it on " herbs" to make a buck. It's not worth it and it's not salvia.just don't say I didn't warn ya.

I've seen people die from that shit almost like heroin.even I won't touch it.whatever this new direvetive is than do so at your own risk.tons of pot nowadays.cant find any weed or hash? I just don't wanna see anyone get hurt

It´s okay :) I´ve never really been into drugs. Curious? absolutely but not enough to risk another addiction ( I already smoke). Besides, I have no cash to spare, on the contrary! So I´m not gonna waste what I have on some rubbish which may have nasty side effects :)

shithawk420

Veteran
It´s okay :) I´ve never really been into drugs. Curious? absolutely but not enough to risk another addiction ( I already smoke). Besides, I have no cash to spare, on the contrary! So I´m not gonna waste what I have on some rubbish which may have nasty side effects :)

Well that's good.its mostly illegal now in most states but before cannabis became legal in my state people would smoke spice and pass out at the wheel of a car like heroin.that doesn't sound like cannabis to me.im sorry you guys haven't legalized yet.hopefully soon! Everyone stay safe!

Sorry but I wanted to add.drugs eh? Well we got more drugs here than you could ever hope for.its like willy fucking Wonka of drugs in the states.the government purposely got rid of painkillers so the CIA and the Mexican government can push and kill people with Fentanyl.wanna know how I know? I personally know about 7 people that have oded in a couple years because painkillers are so hard to get.fent is so cheap its ridiculous

HempKat

Veteran
I thought it was salvia. I bought some of that a couple of years ago, and was scared to try it after reading about it, and seeing the guy fall out the window. They still sell research chemicals that mimick almost anything you want. I worry if government setup. Read about some on reddit, and most were more addictive since they removed some negative side effects of the core drugs they were replacing. Think I would rather find some shrooms.

Yeah when talking about the older style of synthetic marijuana that was essentially unknown designer drugs sprayed onto plant materials all the negative effects were more addictive and more dangerous and if that's what this new type of synthetic was I would agree that finding shrooms would be better. However this new stuff is actually all derived from hemp which for the sake of this discussion is the same as Cannabis. In the older stuff it was synthetic in the truest sense since nothing that you were consuming was actually from a cannabis plant. It only resembled cannabis in that it came in a form of some sort of plant matter that could be smoked in a joint or a pipe. This new stuff is 100% hemp and the synthetic label comes from the fact that they are chemically synthesizing Delta 8 THC from cannabinoids such as CBD. Now there are chemicals used to achieve that synthesis but it's not those chemicals that get you high but rather the synthesized Delta 8 THC from CBD. The question mark that comes into play is that since there is no regulation, testing or control of processes there is no way to know for sure if the use of the chemicals to synthesize the Delta 8 THC from CBD poses any additional risks or harmful unintended side effects. Now mind you, I'm not trying to talk you into using this newer synthetic marijuana and even I would have to say it's best to just use the real thing whenever and wherever you can. Just like it's better to eat freshly grown organic fruits and vegetables then it is to eat highly processed foods with all sorts of artificial additives. All I'm trying to point out is that this new stuff derived from hemp isn't as dangerous as the stuff that made people jump out of windows or turned them into zombie like cannibals or so deranged their thinking that they couldn't remember how to eat.

HempKat

Veteran
i've tried it a few times. the pre-rolled cones with the oil drizzled on the outside were damn near impossible to smoke without getting it all over you. no real complaints other than that, and its relatively low scent/taste compared to real weed. the buzz was pretty immediate as well... i just hope legislators here don't use this stuff as an excuse to not deal with real cannabis.

Agreed, when I was talking with the person working the counter where I bought this stuff from I asked how it was possible this stuff is able to be sold openly and legally and her reply was that it's mainly a matter of how it's marketed and taking advantage of loopholes. I understood what that meant but my reply back to her was that hopefully the new Federal legislation being proposed will get us to a place where we no longer need to resort to gimmicky marketing and loopholes for people to be able to enjoy a nice recreational high.

HempKat

Veteran

Well keep in mind this isn't Spice and really it's noting like Spice, the only thing this stuff shares with Spice is both were/are marketed as Synthetic Marijuana other then that tough Spice and this stuff are two completely different things. All the bad things that were ever said about Spice were true and I would speak strongly against using this stuff if it was just a new version of Spice. As far as I know Spice or similar products sold under different names are now completely legal and should not be available anywhere legally which is why you haven't heard about or seen Spice for quite some time. This stuff is all very new and has only been available since they legalized hemp and hemp derived products which has only been for the past year or two I believe although it might have been a little longer ago then that. This new thing derived from Hemp is only just now popping up on the market the place I got this from is where I also by Kratom which I use as a way of dealing with my chronic pain now that the governments have been trying to more or less eliminate Opioids. When I buy Kratom I but it in an amount where I only need to resupply every other month. Two months ago the place where I get my Kratom had none of this new Hemp derived marijuana. When I went back yesterday to resupply myself with Kratom they had this new stuff all over the store in many different forms and from multiple different manufacturers. Which is just to say that while you might not have seem much or any of this stuff yet, it will likely be turning up more and more. Which is why I decided to make this post. I figure it would be good to get people looking into, understanding and thinking about this stuff before they started trying it.

Petrochemical

And to think when I was growing up that the big drug experimenters were sitting under railroad tracks huffing s*** out of brown paper bags
fake pot
Nah

Last edited:

HempKat

Veteran
I could try the first gen spice and it was not good. After opening the pack it was clear that this is not a blend of different herbs. It was an homogeneous herbal mass with honey like smell. When smoked in a joint it had a nice artificial honey sweet taste. The effect was like smoking weed but more relaxing/dulling than getting high. I still was a little dulled the next day from that one joint. Price was like weed ~10 euro/g.
For me it was lame copy of weed so no more tries after the first. Later generations of the synthetic stuff were worse like instant panik attacks or major desorientation if u smoked too much.
the delta 8 sounds interresting but is illegal in my country so i stick with regular weed.

Well ultimately I would say that it's best to stick with the real thing rather then experimenting with something created artificially. Really my only interest in this stuff was that they found a way to make a non psychoactive part of the cannabis plant (CBD) into a psychoactive form (Delta 8 THC) and that in so doing they were able to create a sort of legal marijuana that can be sold legally in most places while the stuff it imitates is still illegal in most places.

Cuddles

Well that's good.its mostly illegal now in most states but before cannabis became legal in my state people would smoke spice and pass out at the wheel of a car like heroin.that doesn't sound like cannabis to me.im sorry you guys haven't legalized yet.hopefully soon! Everyone stay safe!

Sorry but I wanted to add.drugs eh? Well we got more drugs here than you could ever hope for.its like willy fucking Wonka of drugs in the states.the government purposely got rid of painkillers so the CIA and the Mexican government can push and kill people with Fentanyl.wanna know how I know? I personally know about 7 people that have oded in a couple years because painkillers are so hard to get.fent is so cheap its ridiculous

I´m sorry, are you saying they banned decent painkillers ie medicine so people end up taking shitty stuff instead? Who the hell comes up with these kind of ideas?

HempKat

Veteran

Agreed, that old stuff which was basically unknown chemicals sprayed on plant like matter was very dangerous stuff and like you I would and even have strongly argued against it's use just like I would argue against the use of Crack, Meth or Heroin. All very bad stuff that should be avoided at all costs.

This stuff is very different in that it is all 100% derived from Hemp, the only bad thing about it is that other chemicals are used to convert the CDB to Delta 8 THC and since it's new and untested/unregulated that presents a certain amount of risk but that risk is far less serious then that old stuff which was just chemicals bought in China sprayed on Herbs. At best this stuff is a novelty and something that might be a relatively harmless alternative for someone who due to the laws where they live have a hard time getting real cannabis. I know the lack of availability may seem difficult to believe especially now that there are so many states that have not just legal medical marijuana but also legal recreational marijuana. Unfortunately there are still many places in the US and around the world where getting you hands on actual Cannabis is not as easy as it is in say California, Colorado and some of the other states that have gone fully legal. If one lives in those states I would agree, avoid this stuff and just get the real thing because it shouldn't be that hard to find. In my home state of Maryland they do have legal medical marijuana and if you have the money it's not hard to get access to the various dispensaries that exist around the state but it's blocked by a minimum annual paywall of $200 for the permit declaring you have the right to obtain medical marijuana. That paywall is a solid barrier to me because of my fixed limited disability income. Also my current circumstances make growing my own virtually impossible. I'm sure there are places where black market weed is available but having been out of that scene for 2 decades and being in my 60's now I wouldn't even no where to find it let alone have a source I would trust to buy from. So for now this stuff does provided a somewhat safe and effective alternative when I find myself feeling a strong desire to get high.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
the earlier fake weed, K2 etc, was a whole 'nuther ball game. first time i tried it, i was going out to a friends house while i burned a joint. i wasn't halfway there & started wondering "WTF is WRONG with these people?" all of the other cars were going by me like i was fucking parked! looked down, i was going 35 on an interstate, lol. turned around and went home...last time i tried it, my oldest asked me what i was working on in my shed. "building some arrows for archery season" sez i "why?" he looked at me a bit odd and said "you've gone out there about a dozen times this morning..." i didn't remember any of it. threw the shit away and never looked back.

Reactions: Gry

armedoldhippy

Veteran
I´m sorry, are you saying they banned decent painkillers ie medicine so people end up taking shitty stuff instead? Who the hell comes up with these kind of ideas?

our legislators have been called many things, but "intelligent" or "forward looking" has never been on the list. the law of unintended consequences has big damn teeth...

HempKat

Veteran
And to think when I was growing up that the big drug experimenters were sitting under railroad tracks huffing s*** out of brown paper bags
fake pot
Nah

Well I too am in the situation of living with very tight finances. I basically get $1100 per month to cover my housing, car, utilities, food etc and trust me $110o is not much at all for covering all your expenses. Even if real marijuana was easily available to me it would still be more expensive then this stuff and therefore less of an option for me to consider. Now if this stuff was the same as that old stuff that did have potential psychotic side effects I never would have touched it. I only gave this stuff a try because I had learned about it before I ever had an opportunity to buy it and therefore I knew it was reasonably safe to try. My main point in posting this topic was to inform people that this stuff is nothing like that dangerous stuff from years past. Now I'm not saying it is so safe you should just go hog wild with it, there are some risks to it and I provided information about those risks in my original post. All I'm saying is that if you are desperate for a fairly decent marijuana like high you can reasonably try this stuff and not worry about suddenly passing out behind the wheel of a car or having a sudden urge to try to eat someone's face off.

Cuddles

our legislators have been called many things, but "intelligent" or "forward looking" has never been on the list. the law of unintended consequences has big damn teeth...

same thing over here . and do you know why? It´s because they are all too busy with getting cocaine up their noses rather than thinking about the really important things :biggrin:

armedoldhippy

Veteran
same thing over here . and do you know why? It´s because they are all too busy with getting cocaine up their noses rather than thinking about the really important things :biggrin:

the "important things" are the HARD things, and are damned difficult to accomplish without folks screaming because their ox got gored. much easier to propose naming a committee to "look into the problem" and go to a party...

Latest posts

Latest posts