What's new

Iso stinks

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
GW: I´ve tried it all -except smoking it. What is this supposed to smell like? The last batch I made was coal black, brittle, and tasted like hell when I tried it but that was made from recycled trim (first bubblebags then QWISO -not recommended) and this was good bud.

It depends some on the bud, but my ISO produces a red amber oil with a floral odor and you can taste the turpenoids, along with the peppery taste of THC.

Black suggests a high chlorophyll content, which is harsh to the taste when burned.

I don't recommend burning any of it and predict that you would like it better vaporized.

Piel

Veteran
GW: Vaporizing! Excellent idea and I actually have a vaporizer that hasn´t been in use lately. I´ve never used anything but bud in my vape but I guess I´ll first put in some weed and than some oil (Vapir, has small baskets, not a bad rig). Might try that tonight.

I´ll be back -but you already knew that .

Merry Christmas!

GW: Vaporizing! Excellent idea and I actually have a vaporizer that hasn´t been in use lately. I´ve never used anything but bud in my vape but I guess I´ll first put in some weed and than some oil (Vapir, has small baskets, not a bad rig). Might try that tonight.

I´ll be back -but you already knew that .

Merry Christmas!

you can also denigrate the chlorophyll by leaving it in the sunlight until golden. changes everything!

hammalamma

Veteran
you can also denigrate the chlorophyll by leaving it in the sunlight until golden. changes everything!

Do you think that will fuck with the thc as well? I have about 10 grams of blue dream budder [it buddered itself] that was made from trim with fan leaves in it and I can taste chlorophyll. Do you think that let it sit in the sun will help?

Do you think that will fuck with the thc as well? I have about 10 grams of blue dream budder [it buddered itself] that was made from trim with fan leaves in it and I can taste chlorophyll. Do you think that let it sit in the sun will help?

yes. i have done it. there will be a tiny bit of denigration of the thc to cbn, but we are only talking days here and there is not as much decarboxylation as cooking it out in an oil bath.

just to satisfy your own mind, put a smear on a pyrex dish in the sun. make sure it is enough to vaporize for a taste test as well as the visual. don't take my word for it, decide for yourself. yes?

Piel

Veteran
yes. i have done it. there will be a tiny bit of denigration of the thc to cbn, but we are only talking days here and there is not as much decarboxylation as cooking it out in an oil bath.

just to satisfy your own mind, put a smear on a pyrex dish in the sun. make sure it is enough to vaporize for a taste test as well as the visual. don't take my word for it, decide for yourself. yes?

All this smearing from one dish to another is diminishing my product! Today is judgement day for my stuff. Wish me luck.

Piel

Veteran
OK, so now I´ve done it. I was too lazy to use the vape so I put a little weed in my bong and added (tried to add) a glob of whatever it is on top.

This wasn´t as easy as I thought it would be.

Hit it about 10 min ago, the taste wasn´t bad and I can feel a high coming on.

More info soon.

Piel

Veteran
Typhoon. It makes great Green Dragon so the bud is good. My ISO never works, my bubble bags aren´t worth doodleysquat. From now on it´s kiff, GD and bud.

Merry Christmas and thanks for the tips!

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
My tolerance is extremely high and I wasn't overly impressed with vaporizing oil the first time either, given my expectations of being blown away.

Drop by Piel and we can compare notes to see if it is process or product! My product blows away new comers but usually not high tolerance users.

Merry Christmas to ya'll too! Ohmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Piel

Veteran
GW: I´d love to drop by for a vape and some chat but I think we´re on opposite sides of the planet :) I think my toerance is high, I think it´s pretty up there, and that´s do to the Green Dragon, man that stuff can put me on my ass.

Lovely painkiller to.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
GW: I´d love to drop by for a vape and some chat but I think we´re on opposite sides of the planet :) I think my toerance is high, I think it´s pretty up there, and that´s do to the Green Dragon, man that stuff can put me on my ass.

Lovely painkiller to.

Enough Green Dragon puts me on my ass too bro, but the alcohol runs up my blood pressure, so I continue to run up my tolerance with 62% BHO Absolute Holy Shit sublingual.

Piel

Veteran
It´s fun experimenting when one has the stash! The "oil" still hasn´t hardened so I´ll toss it, can´t smoke shit that smells like petrol. Next batch of GD is on it´s way. I reduce my GD so it´s more of a tinture, I start with about 700ml of 80% ethanol and then I reduce it to about 150-200ml so the alco content is pretty low.

BHO sounds great but I´m to much of a klutz to dare try.

Buju09

Are you making QWISO with bud to start? I got a lil lost in my reading of you're last post.

Been making QWISO for a year or so, 15 second wash for golden, 30 seconds wash for light brown to amber , 45 plus is usually dark brown. Dark brown has only ever yielded ( as did all my other wash samples ) as Gray Wolf stated a flowery smell, chrysanthemum tea is something that reminds me of the smell I'm left with. However when using a strong smelling Kush, the earthy skunky aromas come to life as you smoke a bowl.

I also go low and slow on my purges, usually only last about an hr till I let it cool, and re heat till its soft again collect into the middle let it cool and at this point, if the room and the plate its on are cool it'll remain hard, solid like ice almost and warms up in the hand and becomes malleable.

I'd give it another go, I don't even use bud and I have floored regular smokers with it, smoke to much you get a serious head rush. All my stems sugary leafs and things that collect at the bottom of my mason jars get just enough iso to cover the pile on goes the lid and shake shake, followed by drain'n into another mason jar with a coffee filter to grab all the impurities that may come out as I empty the jar with mj shake and iso. I usually do a 15 second wash then another 15 second wash ( emptying the iso into a coffee filter between each wash) then one final 30 seconds and I feel satisfied that I've got the majority of the THC out of the harsh shake. The harshness is the main reason I make oil, its never harsh when I get it to the "shatter" quality it gets super thick and expands but that's not harshness for me, if you're left with that itchy, irritated feeling at the back of you're throat that's harsh.

Piel

Veteran
B09: But any idea what went wrong? I did the process pretty much as you described it using only bud etc -smell of petrol? Why? The iso smells like iso...

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
B09: But any idea what went wrong? I did the process pretty much as you described it using only bud etc -smell of petrol? Why? The iso smells like iso...

No clue where the smell of gasoline comes into play. Propane, plus one oxygen molecule makes Isopropyl alcohol, but propane doesn't smell like pentane or hexane, which is what gasoline is made from and smells like.

Isopropyl alcohol is more aromatic than the Propyl alcohol that it is an isomer of, and has a much stronger aroma than ethanol, but it simply smells like Isopropyl, not gasoline.

Are you positive it is a gasoline smell, or just a strong odor that may remind you of it?

Buju09

Yeah, this is interesting. I mean you can give us the brand of ISO, or try again with a different brand of ISO

What percentage ISO were you using? I think I read it was 99percent. The room I do it in is ventilated but the alcohol smell lingers, when I re enter after the purge is complete the room smells of flowery hash, Its usually how I decide the iso is properly evaporated, then I cool, reheat to collect and freeze if necessary.

At no point in the evaporation process did I smell gasoline, just the un mistakable iso vapors. I was going to imagine you're extracting some sour diesel and its just leeching that smell cause that'd be gangster. I did make some qwiso today last night err, the second batch over cooked cause i sampled the first batch lol. Well not over cooked but speed evaporated ( higher heat no open flames :D ) and it was darker took on the smell of the razor blades that i was collecting it with, which was metallic. So perhaps it you to could have purged it to quickly :D could be a matter of getting the double boil perfect.

Yeah, this is interesting. I mean you can give us the brand of ISO, or try again with a different brand of ISO

What percentage ISO were you using? I think I read it was 99percent. The room I do it in is ventilated but the alcohol smell lingers, when I re enter after the purge is complete the room smells of flowery hash, Its usually how I decide the iso is properly evaporated, then I cool, reheat to collect and freeze if necessary.

At no point in the evaporation process did I smell gasoline, just the un mistakable iso vapors. I was going to imagine you're extracting some sour diesel and its just leeching that smell cause that'd be gangster. I did make some qwiso today last night err, the second batch over cooked cause i sampled the first batch lol. Well not over cooked but speed evaporated ( higher heat no open flames :D ) and it was darker took on the smell of the razor blades that i was collecting it with, which was metallic. So perhaps it you to could have purged it to quickly :D could be a matter of getting the double boil perfect.

the possibility of the aroma being indigenous to the oil is definitely a possibility. were you extracting c99? hehehe....definite diesel flavor.