What's new

Iso stinks

Piel

Veteran
Hi, I was using Typhoon a light sensitive strain grown a lot at lat 59. The iso was a anti-freeze for air conditioner in cars and bought from Shell. It just contents isopropyl alcohol, no additives. Washed for about 20-30s, filtered and purged lightly over a hot plate and left to cool over night. This just left a tar like substance that smells of petrol. I couldn´´t bring myself to use it, just too ugly and too smelly. Thanks for your interest though.

OGShush

My tolerance is extremely high and I wasn't overly impressed with vaporizing oil the first time either, given my expectations of being blown away.

Drop by Piel and we can compare notes to see if it is process or product! My product blows away new comers but usually not high tolerance users.

Merry Christmas to ya'll too! Ohmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

I have been making oil with Iso for quite a while. My first few attempts came out blackish. I've been slowly perfecting my process, trying something new with each batch. Maybe you could offer some criticism?

The material is dried in the dark, if buds, it is broken up coarsely. I usually just leave trim leaves whole. I use 91% Iso usually because it is the easiest to find. I do a first wash for about 30 seconds, shaking gently. I strain the result through a clean t-shirt into a pyrex dish. I do a second wash in a separate pan with more agitation and about 2 minutes of time.

I usually allow them to evaporate until most of the fluid is gone before adding heat. The pans are then put into the oven @ about 200 degrees. The door is left cracked slightly and the pans are left about 20 minutes.

Upon removing them the oven, then pans go immediately in the freezer, on top of some ice packs. The result is somewhat granular and sticky, and resembles a very light ambery colored brown sugar. It turns to a light amber to red puddle when left out.

The only things that bother me are a slight lingering Iso taste, which gives way to a fairly generic vaporizer/hash oil flavor. I succeeded in removing most of the Iso flavor by doing the following:

After removing from freezer, the product was scraped into a half pint wide mouth mason jar. I heated some water to maybe 175F, attached a hand-pump vacuum sealer to the jar. I put the jar into the water bath and pumped. The oil bubbled hard for probably fifteen seconds, and the bubbling ceased.

The result was a much thinner layer of light amber oil. It was shatter-like at cold temperatures, and in warm temps was very difficult to handle. If it was stirred at room temperature, it whipped into a golden sticky substance.

I feel like I'm very close to making earwax or budder or whatever they call it, but I'm fucking up the consistency. If I took my finished product and stirred it over gentle heat and immediately froze it, would it achieve the desired consistency? Would putting the filtered Iso solution into the freezer and re-filtering it help me as well? I have a few quart jars of trim sitting around, so I am open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks and Happy New Year Everyone!

Piel

Veteran
Man you are light years ahead of me, a friend amelled my product and said the magic words: Shoe polish.

rasras

Here they ad some smell agent to notice if your leaking....
Pure ISO you need to get from pharmacy, and you can only buy small amount like 2dl once.
You need licence to have big amount.
Here its really hard to fiend anything else then zero in purity tane, no chance to get 5x tane`s

Hardware stores and gas stations sell cheeky quality ISO.

I could cork my new V3 TI nail and and dab some 7 Up budder.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have been making oil with Iso for quite a while. My first few attempts came out blackish. I've been slowly perfecting my process, trying something new with each batch. Maybe you could offer some criticism?

The material is dried in the dark, if buds, it is broken up coarsely. I usually just leave trim leaves whole. I use 91% Iso usually because it is the easiest to find. I do a first wash for about 30 seconds, shaking gently. I strain the result through a clean t-shirt into a pyrex dish. I do a second wash in a separate pan with more agitation and about 2 minutes of time.

I usually allow them to evaporate until most of the fluid is gone before adding heat. The pans are then put into the oven @ about 200 degrees. The door is left cracked slightly and the pans are left about 20 minutes.

Upon removing them the oven, then pans go immediately in the freezer, on top of some ice packs. The result is somewhat granular and sticky, and resembles a very light ambery colored brown sugar. It turns to a light amber to red puddle when left out.

The only things that bother me are a slight lingering Iso taste, which gives way to a fairly generic vaporizer/hash oil flavor. I succeeded in removing most of the Iso flavor by doing the following:

After removing from freezer, the product was scraped into a half pint wide mouth mason jar. I heated some water to maybe 175F, attached a hand-pump vacuum sealer to the jar. I put the jar into the water bath and pumped. The oil bubbled hard for probably fifteen seconds, and the bubbling ceased.

The result was a much thinner layer of light amber oil. It was shatter-like at cold temperatures, and in warm temps was very difficult to handle. If it was stirred at room temperature, it whipped into a golden sticky substance.

I feel like I'm very close to making earwax or budder or whatever they call it, but I'm fucking up the consistency. If I took my finished product and stirred it over gentle heat and immediately froze it, would it achieve the desired consistency? Would putting the filtered Iso solution into the freezer and re-filtering it help me as well? I have a few quart jars of trim sitting around, so I am open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks and Happy New Year Everyone!

Sounds like you are already getting good color and are looking for refinement.

For refinement, I would recommend using 99% ISO if you can lay hands on it and using a coffee filter or #1 lab filter after dumping it through the tee shirt, stockings, wire strainer, etc, to quickly separate the alcohol from the plant material.

You might also try frozen material and chilled alcohol.

I remove the rest of the ISO flavor by re-dissolving the extract in ethanol and evaporating that off. Usually I also winterize it at that point by placing the ethanol solution in the freezer for a few days and then filter through a coffee filter or a #1 lab filter to remove the coagulated waxes.

I prefer a hot oil bath to an oven and use 180F for purging and 250F for purging and decarboxylating.

If you are looking for budder, try whipping and stirring it while it is warm.

Have fun and happy new year to you too!

OGShush

Sounds like you are already getting good color and are looking for refinement.

For refinement, I would recommend using 99% ISO if you can lay hands on it and using a coffee filter or #1 lab filter after dumping it through the tee shirt, stockings, wire strainer, etc, to quickly separate the alcohol from the plant material.

You might also try frozen material and chilled alcohol.

I remove the rest of the ISO flavor by re-dissolving the extract in ethanol and evaporating that off. Usually I also winterize it at that point by placing the ethanol solution in the freezer for a few days and then filter through a coffee filter or a #1 lab filter to remove the coagulated waxes.

I prefer a hot oil bath to an oven and use 180F for purging and 250F for purging and decarboxylating.

If you are looking for budder, try whipping and stirring it while it is warm.

Have fun and happy new year to you too!

Thanks for the tips Gray Wolf. Your set up is absolutely jaw dropping, I hope to have a home lab someday for concentrates/culturing, but it will probably be a while to say the least.

What is a good source for ethanol? Would using ethanol for the initial wash give a cleaner taste all together?

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks for the tips Gray Wolf. Your set up is absolutely jaw dropping, I hope to have a home lab someday for concentrates/culturing, but it will probably be a while to say the least.

What is a good source for ethanol? Would using ethanol for the initial wash give a cleaner taste all together?

I use 190 proof ethanol from the liquor store. It will make a cleaner tasting extraction than Iso, but the times are diferent.

I run ethanol three minutes with frozen material, while I only run ISO 20 seconds.

Piel

Veteran
1and1: The iso should be oure, they have to write out all the additives and there are none.

My newest theory: I did the mixing in a plastic food container. Could the iso have leached any chemicals from the plastic? Any chemists out there?