What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Is there any chance of Harvesting a pure 20-24 week Sativa at 45 degree?

romanoweed

I wanna know when you would advice me to place preflowered plant out so that i can be shure it doesent go back into Vegetation, if you like

romanoweed

I find out i have a slight thinking-Problem. Its, when Pinkus says , pure Equatorial start flower Close to 12/12, or 23 September, then i could Profit bigtime from preflowering Indoor. Cause they would take until say end of Januar , for 16 weekwer. And two months less would be difference behind much Harvest and Zero harvest.
Allright, but i seem to remember they start often mid August, so i wanna know from when wich Strain started flowering. So i can make finetuning.

CAUSE if i dont finetue, i would just go with pinkus`s Close-to-12day/12Night-Idea, near-to-23-September . And therefore would just waiste the whole Energy for indoor for a Strain wich might start flowering at start of August, and therefore NOT HAVE ANY BENEFIT.

So, the Problem is in the "Detail". I can risk it that they go back in Veg, but People tell Flowers will die then, and new Flowers will form.

Now i get the Problem . so thanks Tycho, for your Tip , wich Strain was it?

Here thats how thin somes Punto Rojo looked after 7 Weeks...: very thin, good:(its a herma, not male)
picture.php

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
i think its more than just the daylight hours at play ,
the plants sense the changing season aswell ,
of course the hours need to be diminishing ,
but the days get cooler ,, the rain stops and things dry out etc ..

replicating the tropics isnt just lessening the hours ....

if the days diminish romano , and the food supply runs out , and there is less water , they should continue to flower i would assume ..

romanoweed

I dont wanna Interpret Tropics trogh preflowering, Donald, i wanna bring Forward Harvest day.

But despite that, there is a nice Information what you say, in wich i can probably agree. I can agree, that Plants sense the Danger, when its getting cold, (does the Food run out cause of cold Ground, i guess?, makes sense), so they feel that its getting cold very fast, and they get hungry so they say lets do it, and ripe.. That possibility for a Plant to Change her Decisions is very typical for Cannabis as for many Plants! Great , i never thought of that beeing a part of Floweringtrigger. I still Need to know when wich strain started, so i can finetune,

Thats also why rootboud Plants start flowering more early.. they decide its time to flower

Last edited:

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
I dont wanna Interpret Tropics trogh preflowering, Donald, i wanna bring Forward Harvest day.

But despite that, there is a nice Information what you say, in wich i can probably agree. I can agree, that Plants sense the Danger, when its getting cold, (does the Food run out cause of cold Ground, i guess?, makes sense), so they feel that its getting cold very fast, and they get hungry so they say lets do it, and ripe.. That possibility for a Plant to Change her Decisions is very typical for Cannabis as for many Plants! Great , i never thought of that beeing a part of Floweringtrigger. I still Need to know when wich strain started, so i can finetune,

Thats also why rootboud Plants start flowering more early.. they decide its time to flower
doesnt get that cold in the tropics ,

the food runs out because the rain stops ,

when the rain stops , they really burst into flower ...

its just a seasonal thing accompanied with the day lengths getting shorter ... ,

they cant and wont reveg until the hours begin to increase again , and you would need to provide food and water ....

they are sensitive to small changes in day length ,

hybrids and indica dominant plants are not as sensitive and can and will flower with increasing day lengths for a period of time ,
pure sativas will reveg in those situations long before the hybrids do ...

kookied

I have wondered if you kept the roots warm (70F ish), just how cold the pant could take. Yes I am aware if it freezes its game over.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I have wondered if you kept the roots warm (70F ish), just how cold the pant could take. Yes I am aware if it freezes its game over.

it's significantly warmer underground than above. It would take a couple continuous subzero weeks for the ground to freeze.

I had swazi out after several hard frosts and a couple subzero days last year and there was wet snow on the ground when I harvested. The fan leaves took a huge hit with the last freeze so photosynthesis was over. But the buds were still very nice. I think trichomes help protect the flower from cold temperatures.

picture.php

troutman

Seed Whore
Well, the day length doesn't vary much in equatorial regions. There are never 14 hour days let alone 16+.

Which is why I like to vegetate Sativas with 14 hours. So they just stay above their flowering
photoperiod. I also use no more than 15 hours for cloning them. Excessive hours may be one
big reason so many people get hermies with them.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
i have had a grow space at 3300 ft ,
it once was minus 10 celcius ,,

all the weeds were dead , even the lantana that surrounded the patch suffered and a lot was burnt ,
however the few small sativa plants i had were quite alive and untouched by the severe frost ,
surprised me no end , so they are tough , very tough ...

Krull

Soul Feeder
Veteran
Flower under lights and put out at 10 weeks in time for august, finish it outdoor under plasic or glass.

This.

Force-flower them indoors then move them out when your 'regular' strains normally enter full bloom at your latitude. This will help you cut some precious weeks from flowering time.
Refer to this classic thread:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=86345

Also you can try to restrict roots (=small pots). This is a less mentioned booster for flowering, obviously you'll end up with sub-par plants but they will finish sooner in an extreme effort to survive.
A greenhouse would help you enormously.

Best of luck

=K

romanoweed

Krull, thats the Idea, im discussing here! I think its the nicest idea!

One freaky Experiment i wanna try one time: the Spring-Flowering-Idea. Force flower Indoors (or Deprivation), i read it takes 2/3 weeks to really be in Flower. Put them Outside, and give them ZERO Water, with Greenhouse-roof. Hope they stay in Flower during Summer. Give them never more than a few Drops.. Plus slight Rootbount . Harvest Summertoasted Bud. I dont think it works, but i can try that

Koondense

Veteran
I think the only thing to work is light deprivation, if you can manage it.
Flowering in spring can be an issue because of days getting longer/shorter nights, I've seen plants in small pots revegging in mid-end april while kept indoors behind a window.
You could try every option out there but my bet would be on light dep.

Cheers

pinkus

Veteran
With the long flowering types you want to grow, I would say that you need probably 2 months of light deprivation before the fall Equinox to have a chance.

Hybrids and/or multiple plants with varying flowering times seems like your best bet.

Good luck.
:bandit:

Rico Swazi

Hi romanoweed, 45N here and I like to experiment too.

been playing with the idea of light supplementation during the winter months past few years.

this years setup
2 Jack Herer in five gal homemade compost
sitting in metal canning pots, surrounded by woodchips
those are sitting on two17.5 watt seedling heating mats
temps holding in the low 60sF at 4 inches down into the rootzone
three 8 watt leds set on 12 hr (6am to 6pm) for lighting (splitting natural light hours)

picture.php

used some recycled widows to convert a shed which faces south
gets about 5 hrs direct sun and can get very hot if not careful

picture.php

Cob lighting and heating coils with a thermostat would be my suggestion unless you are as poor as I am , then I would go with whatever you can cobble together. Either way, have fun with it and good luck.

FWIW, I also have a NLD type (not pure sativa but thai genetics) in the ground that is still doing well in a huglebed. I plan on harvesting this week. Pics of it in my sig.

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Cheapest heat sources for a shed like that would be either a compost pile or some chickens.

misfitgro

I found and joined this forum because of this thread, great info. I’m in 33n and have some sativa from bagseed that just will not finish. My pistils have long turned and receded but trics are white. I’ve been thru a frost and expect temps to hit 30 this weekend. Will it produce a buzz at all if I cut it this week?