What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Is there any chance of Harvesting a pure 20-24 week Sativa at 45 degree?

White Beard

The problem with mirrors is that their reflected light is not the same as direct sunlight.
The reflected light won’t scatter, and whatever part of the plant it hits will take a comparatively doubled dose of light: without trying that experimentally we don’t know if it would freak the plant or not; we also don’t know if it would do any good.

And as the earth turns and orbits, the mirrored surface(s) would have to be motorized and synchronized in order to keep whatever light they provide *on* the plant(s) as the sun ‘moves’

PDX Dopesmoker

The problem with mirrors is that their reflected light is not the same as direct sunlight.
The reflected light won’t scatter, and whatever part of the plant it hits will take a comparatively doubled dose of light: without trying that experimentally we don’t know if it would freak the plant or not; we also don’t know if it would do any good.

And as the earth turns and orbits, the mirrored surface(s) would have to be motorized and synchronized in order to keep whatever light they provide *on* the plant(s) as the sun ‘moves’

Controlling the mirrors wouldn't be as difficult as you think as far as the astronomical figuring parts of it goes, theres all sorts of solutions to the problem out there. Equatorial tracking software for Altitude-Azimuth mounted telescopes was perfected in the 20th century and theres all sorts of people in the solar power industry producing similar stuff. The whole thing would still all end up being a horribly complicated maze of wiring, motors, gears, bearings, etc. though.
As far as the mirror goes, if you use front surface aluminized mirrors then the quality of reflected light would be a very high fraction of total solar strength.
Reflectance-curves-of-silver-Ag-gold-Au-and-aluminium-Al-For-optical-coating-By.png

romanoweed

yes dopesmoker, i have to ad, they say ist imprtant to use glass-LESS-mirrors, wich have Aluminium coating. I couldnt make this out so clear when reading. Cause glass does not let trough rays under 300 nm thingy, wich is uv rays.. so, Aluminium yes , and glassless too ! And then you get the mostly flat Response in your graphic labelled AI.

Last edited:

therevverend

Veteran
Like I said, I grow tropical sativas at 47N.
Pacific Northwest, Rainforest.

Me too. You can get it to finish, especially because December deep freezes are rare, but the stuff isn't commercially viable. The resin is degraded by wind and rain, the buds are airy and small from 8 hour long days of rainy clouds and fog. The plant is unnaturally deep purple from the cold. If you want saleable ganja, especially tropical varieties, you want July and August eastern Washington sun. This is why Kiona produces nice stuff.

This is what my plant looked like at harvest. Don't get me wrong, it has a bit of terpenes and resin and has a nice smell, but it's a shadow of what a tropical strain should be. Very similar to your results. (is this my 2nd time posting this pic in this thread? Feels like it..should have just referred back to page 3)

picture.php

St. Phatty

In order to be aimed right, the mirror positioning also has to account for the sun's movement.

AND not provide too much light, baking the plant (the mirror can cut off air movement.)

pinkus

Veteran
In order to be aimed right, the mirror positioning also has to account for the sun's movement.

AND not provide too much light, baking the plant (the mirror can cut off air movement.)

Thank you for pointing that out. Concentrating light could be helpful, it could also prove destructive if you are not VERY careful.

White Beard

Controlling the mirrors wouldn't be as difficult as you think as far as the astronomical figuring parts of it goes, theres all sorts of solutions to the problem out there. Equatorial tracking software for Altitude-Azimuth mounted telescopes was perfected in the 20th century and theres all sorts of people in the solar power industry producing similar stuff. The whole thing would still all end up being a horribly complicated maze of wiring, motors, gears, bearings, etc. though.
As far as the mirror goes, if you use front surface aluminized mirrors then the quality of reflected light would be a very high fraction of total solar strength.
View Image
I said nothing about how hard it would be “astronomically”, I was speaking logistically. For some guy with a grow, it could be insurmountable - but not because apparent motion of the sun is a new thing..

They make mounts for telescopes, but they might be very expensive for the stated use-case, or even impossible given the other requirements imposed by the siuation.

PDX Dopesmoker

I said nothing about how hard it would be “astronomically”, I was speaking logistically. For some guy with a grow, it could be insurmountable - but not because apparent motion of the sun is a new thing..

They make mounts for telescopes, but they might be very expensive for the stated use-case, or even impossible given the other requirements imposed by the siuation.

Providing supplemental sunlight by using precisely moving mirrors is something that could be DIY'd on a budget with an enormous amount of research, but something simpler like putting up a small mylar fence around the north end of the plant(s) is a lot more of a reasonable way to go at tackling the problem.
Theres would be no need for a purpose built telescope mount if you're not building a telescope, the useful info from that area of endeavor would be the software which controls a telescope mount's movements, however if you are interested in building your own large telescope relatively inexpensively, the mounts can be made inexpensively. Back in the 1960s, John Dobson of the San Fransisco Sidewalk Astronomers invented a easy way to build large telescopes and keep cost down.
m6YUw8a.jpg

Koondense

Veteran
The only problem with Dobson mounts is they're alt-az mounts so not really tracking stellar movements but just tracking the az axis.
I suggest using the simplest car windshield protection foil we all use in summertime.

Cheers

PDX Dopesmoker

The only problem with Dobson mounts is they're alt-az mounts so not really tracking stellar movements but just tracking the az axis.
I suggest using the simplest car windshield protection foil we all use in summertime.

Cheers

Something like what you suggest is a lot more reasonable than a highly technical solution which belongs in the concentrated solar power industry.

and i anwsered you on this only sporadically cause it would have been to long post, to complicated. Now longer: the Red shift like i anwsered is rather a byproduct, IF we wanna know what matters when reproducing Tropics.
I think i researched it enough, that what matters to Plants is Lightfrequencies and their strength. And they said something like : direct sunlight is 95 percent of the important Actions and effects wich Light does and Matters for Plants. Reflected Light is 5 percent important.
They laid it out with: the blue of the sky doesent really effect the Light that much wich radiates around . Alltho it still does a tiny bit and we get a blue hue so weak that we cant really make it out it with eyes, but it would be masurable.. ((Like per example with the old photograph teckniue))
The redshift i think they also did mention also doesent really affect the curve of recieved strenght of each Lightfrequencies overall.

And ithink said i have never seen a stronger redshift on Pictures FROM NORTHPOLE with my eyes i think.
Alltho this is vague claim i did with that i wanted to say with this in particullar, the redshift doesent really matter for Plants regarding replication of Tropical Sunlight for the most part . The Idea of an spectral difference you seemed to comunicate, that further North there is more Red as at Equator i wanted to tell you is not even visible to the(my) Eye, or did never really catch my eye (again, vague, subjective claim). I never saw any more red hue on northpole during the overall Day(night)pictures..

Hey and Dopesmoker:
I wanted not to show Watts with that picture, im sorry if i confused you. I wanted to show a model to determine if there is a smaller overall Angle of incoming Light at 45Degree (40 Degree in this particullar Graph) than on 0Degree.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfYJsQAhl0

nepalnt21

FRRRRRResh!
Veteran
Have you considered the possibility of growing psychedelic mushrooms? That might be an even better way (making your own LSD is notoriously difficult, but doing so is also clearly not outside the realm of possibility).

mushrooms and lsd dont equal trip weed. cannabis can be very psychedelic, but it isn't in the same style as the classical psyches... maybe some common traits here and there, but completely different, ime.

also, i'm sure growing a 20+ week sativa at 60n would even be a much easier thing to do than synthesize lsd, and that's only IF you regular joes could source the precursors.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I'm pretty sure the high is also affected by it's tropical growing environment. I'll know after this grow if my Honduran seeds produce the same wonderful high I got while I was there.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Providing supplemental sunlight by using precisely moving mirrors is something that could be DIY'd on a budget with an enormous amount of research, but something simpler like putting up a small mylar fence around the north end of the plant(s) is a lot more of a reasonable way to go at tackling the problem.
Theres would be no need for a purpose built telescope mount if you're not building a telescope, the useful info from that area of endeavor would be the software which controls a telescope mount's movements, however if you are interested in building your own large telescope relatively inexpensively, the mounts can be made inexpensively. Back in the 1960s, John Dobson of the San Fransisco Sidewalk Astronomers invented a easy way to build large telescopes and keep cost down.
View Image
Having mirrors track the sun is quite easy. If you're technical, the solution is here.
[iframeb]wL9PcGu_xrA[/iframeb]

PDX Dopesmoker

mushrooms and lsd dont equal trip weed. cannabis can be very psychedelic, but it isn't in the same style as the classical psyches... maybe some common traits here and there, but completely different, ime.

also, i'm sure growing a 20+ week sativa at 60n would even be a much easier thing to do than synthesize lsd, and that's only IF you regular joes could source the precursors.

I guess growing rye instead of sativa would be where you'd start.

romanoweed

How about that:

Both Pictures show Mirror/orMylar Setup watching in Eastern Direction , therefore Sun coming to you(at Morning) and dissapear behind you at evening... This Idea uses Scrogged Plants between double-sided Mirrors/orMylar

First Picture shows Summer with steep Summer-sunorbit, therefore you have 3 Differences than in Winter. One Difference is Mirrors are standing steeper, and all Mirrors are placed in one Row. And you place 2 Plants between each mirror.
picture.php

Secound Picture Shows rather Winter, now you have a steeper Mirror Angle, therefore some Mirrors are stapled Vertically at the left side, take the secound plant between each mirror out and place it between the stapled mirors.
picture.php

Therefore you use roundabout equally same Squaremeters and Height in Summer as in Winter

Last edited:

romanoweed

Or do you use ever only one Plant between each Mirror.. only changing angle, and staple them vertically at winter. hmm

Latest posts

Latest posts