What's new

Is Serious Seeds Kali Mist still good?

Homebrewer

Veteran
Yes I have some. Some pictures from the first flowering stage, about two weeks after switching. Bud pictures were taken some days ago, at 70 days, except the closest one, that is from two weeks ago.

It will need 12 weeks I think. Unfortunately this was my only female from a batch of 5 seeds a friend sent me.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=46493&pictureid=1087653View Image https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=46493&pictureid=1087652View Image https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=46493&pictureid=1087651View Image https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=46493&pictureid=1087650View Image https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=46493&pictureid=1087648View Image

Kali isn't easy to grow, those look pretty good. FWIW, I prefer formulas high in N for my longer flowering sativas. I found that I got less stretch, less foxtailing and a better final product over using 'flowering formulas'.

Carraxe

Veteran
I've been giving her just BioVega and Nirvana for the first month after I switched to 12/12

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran
this change was 10 odd years ago, was a one off AFAIK, not sure how you can spin that into "must be due a change pretty shortly"

"why is he adding things then thinking that these are suitable for release when they are not" He, Simon, added something once, then removed it. Serious is Simon's company, legendary for the highest quality strains, one of the very few who just releases the very best, not any old wonky untested polyhybrid. Of all the people you could accuse of releasing something "not suitable for release" he has to be the very last on the list. You do know he lectures on Genetics at a Dutch university ?

I put down some of the shit flying round specifically on ''haters'' or ''trolls'' or ''dishonest rivals' as there is one specific rival with a long history of spreading shit about people he sees as his rivals. If you have a look on his site there is a specific statement inferring that "all his rivals" got their mother plants confiscated in Dutch Police raids. If you look at his current output, it is pretty clear he is the one who has lost genetics.

I am also 100% honest and have zero interest in SS or any bank. I have met Simon many times, a fascinating guy to talk to. Apart from recieving several nice lighters, I have no further connection to SS. So, I am certainly no fan boy, but I do speak up when it is clear that some of the crap flying around is crap.

This thread is for discussion and information about Kali Mist, if you have a problem with another strain, keep it to the relevant pages and try not to add recycled old rumours to your points as it reduces their credibility.

yeah well I can vouch for their ak47 which they clearly lie about. im not passing judgement on kali mist but im entitled to post my opinion where I wish if you please.

since you are so familiar with simon and everything he says, you will know he gave interviews saying what he has lost etc. im sure he knows genetics. but the fact he lectures doesn't mean a lot really where business is concerned and serious seeds are a business.

either way the proof is in the pudding. people will grow them out and see for themselves.
your opinion is just that.

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
Simon from Serious is one of the ones who does not bullshit. Anybody who has met the guy will say the same, he was a Genetics lecturer in the Netherlands

Man, with all due respect, you obviously like Serious and Simon. I don't deny that your experience could have been good. I’m sure he’s an interesting guy too, I’ve listened a few interviews and I know he has studies but that has nothing to do with being a good and real cannabis breeder. And I do honestly believe he’s just another clever dutch entrepreneur trying to get rich in the business. I've felt myself ripped of by them not just once...

First of all, Simon didn’t create ANY strain… maybe the later AK47 crosses and so on, but they were only mixes from the classic strains they had. I’ve read several times that this guy breeds outdoors and that's why seedruns only happen once per year and there's no fresh stock until then. Some even said it’s his wife the one who breeds and makes reproductions while he focuses on breeding birds or something like that. Who knows!

As many people said, even Simon himself accepted, some parents were lost or seized by the police some time ago, before 2000. Such a shame that most of the times, he just said the lineages were “improved” when plants were obvioulsy different for anybody who grew them… how strange that after loosing the old Kali Mist and the whole community was complaining about the new more indica version, he decided to take them from the market and remake them again, in an effort to try to recreate the old classic sativa it used to be.

Same with the AK… funny how after it became a different strain, it was even sold from that time as a mostly indica plant and even presented to cups in the indica category. Then he explained how they just did it to prove how AK47 was so good that the strain could win both as an indica an a sativa LOL. I even asked himself by e-mail after my dissapointment and he wrote me pasting me a standard text template explaning how plants were the same as they used to be. Seriously?? they even have a template to paste on replies to customers complaning to explaing that crap!? :biggrin: Sounds like another bullshit story to cover their mistakes. Good and honest breeders don’t need to do that kind of stuff I guess.

How about all the drama announcing the new strain to hype things out and then years and years came and nothing happened? When the guy started to promote this new strain he didn’t even knew the name, lineage or anything from it… he even announces it in a High Times interview. And magic, one month after this, he enters the cup with the new strain! It was all a big marketing plan to make more people check his website and keep waiting for nothing.

Obviously all this dodgy stuff stinks… like the fact all the strains “he created” for serious came together in the same time and from the same source, and then, not even a single new strain in 15 last years? And now he's selling Magus Genetics too, that was the only change in the last decade with Serious! LOL

Anyway, for sure this guy was working at Sensi Seedbank… and right after that, he started working in some projects with a guy called Tony in a club called CIA (Cannabis In Amsterdam), Some time later, they started a seedbank called Cerebral Seeds (with Tony and some other people). With some of the new strains from Cerebral, they won the High Times cup in 1994 (with AK47 and Chronic). Cerebral seeds only survived during 94-95 and then it disappeared, but their plants: AK47, Chronic and Kali Mist were presented by Simon as his very own creations in his new seedbank: Serious Seeds. Tony started his own bank, Sagarmatha, and took the strains with him too, selling them later under different names: Special K (AK47), Western Winds (Kali Mist), Slyder (Chronic) and Bubblegum too.

That was also the reason why everyone knew that if they wanted the original Pre98 Kali Mist they should better try with the Western Winds strain, as Tony never changed the original classic lineage.

In 1995 White Widow came out and won the cup and right after that, Simon crossed it to the AK47 and some months later in 1996 he was already selling White Russian and making the most of the new “White” trend! :dance013:

Bubblegum well… another great story, it’s been said that they even got the original Bubblegum much before, when they had Cerebral Seeds going on. Anyway, that’s another strain he didn’t create for sure.

Last but not least, the Kali Mist. Tony Sagarmatha himself was the one who said some years ago at the Spannabis fair in Barcelona during a meeting with some other people, that the original KM recipe was Skunk#1 X Haze (yeah, the same Skunk Haze strain used by Nevil and Shanti in all their hybrids). Such a coincidence as well that all strais came from the same place! ;)

Curious too the fact that Tony came out with some new strains in the next years and Simon… well Simon just crossed some of the old classics and kept praying the Serious quality and how they rather stay with few good and "own" strains than releasing new and "untested" hybrids…

Anyway, I have some great memories with AK47 from when I started to grow those first "dutch" seeds we purchased many years ago and the first time I tried Kali M but damn, in the last few years Serious Seeds became a serious shit!

PS: Interesting stuff posted by Raco before... :wave::tiphat:

kylebroflovski said:
"The old KaliMist was SUPERB. You are very lucky to have received those seeds Hempy. The two are not like each other NOW in my opinion.

Simon is another one who has a great reputation because of OTHERS hard work. His AK47 is an old California hybrid, the Bubblegum is a hybrid originally from an Indiana breeder, KaliMist was an older Neville work, and the infamous white russian was half the work of Californians the other half was Shanti. Good breeders are REAL hard to find, it helps keep them out of jail. I know I'm VERY opinionated but my opinions come from my hands on experience. Im getting older, and as I do I have less time for bullshit in my life. Just my opinion, and hopefully a fact or two."

strawdog said:
SAG and SERIOUS seeds used to be the same company. Then they split and that is why they have similar lines.

Obviously Serious claims that Sag stole their lines and Sag claim that Serious stole their lines but if you go back even more you will find that some of these people used to work for Sensi and Sensi claim that these people stole some of their lines. If you go back even more you will find a load of American growers who claimed that Nevil stole their lines and sold it all to Sensi.

By the way Sensi Seeds released a load of Serious stock under another brand called "White Label" recently.

BTW - White Label has some additional genetics from others now but when White Label first came on the scene it was actually almost an entirely Serious Seeds knock off line. They have added a few more in there since.

headees

Grew out some AK I got in 2010, was the epitome of 'meh'. Easy to grow, yielded good, but was absolutely bland, boring, and weak. On top of that I paid 180 for a pack from *********, before they were available here for much less. It was a shadow of what it was in the 90s.
I honestly dont know why anyone would waste their time with Dutch genetics these days. They are a thing of the past, yes some great strains came out of there(or were brought over there from the US anyway), but dont hold a candle to what is being bred, or has been bred in the US in the past 10+ years.

Raco

secretion engineer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The Western Winds I grew in 2002 weren´t "that sativa"... at all
One girl flowered on auto...and it was hay!

@Mustafunk

Hola compadre...you know... win a good reputation and sleep at your ease...LOL :tiphat:

Last edited:

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
km from 08 sorry for the shitty pics

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

astone

I bought some KM seeds in 2009 and it was well worth it, here's my experience. I remember trying a my first huge bowl, I overdid it, couldn't stop my self it was sweet soft smoke with a very fresh black pepper taste. Soon after I was on the verge of passing out. I was so thirsty and all I had was an empty shot glass to catch water from the faucet... I was incapacitated for at least 2 hours.

Ok, sometime later I gave it a more sensible test drive. It was a creeper, my room seemed brighter, music was more moving than usual. Listening to music was similar to savoring a hersey's bar with the worst munchies . My eyes were normal and I was social, I had no urge to introvert around non-smokers, this smoke consistently provides motivation maybe even courage. I can get some shit done around the house when I smoke KM. It was very cerebral and that's what I like, however its not the kind of smoke that'll make you laugh frequently or make you very happy. Very long lasting, no groggy effects the next day.

My plant was 6 foot tall, it started off very indica looking... at 1.5 feet it had some huge fan leaves. But that changed, it took a turn toward sativa. It was lanky, branched out, whitest pistils every where. At 35 days of flower the top cola was heavy, it made the top 2 feet of plant just fall over, I had to tie it in place. The plant was very stinky it was funk and grapefruit, I don't mean like cutting open one pink grapefruit...it was the rich scent when you unpack a whole crate of grapefruits (you'd have to work with produce...). I had to harvest early at 55 days, much of the pistils were still pearly white. The cured buds were green with bright orange hairs average density, good yield. It was an easy grow, I used promix/soil/perlite, GH nutes. The plant was not nute sensitive at all.

Finally, if you read too much into the KM strain hype I think you'll be disappointed. But from my point of view its a worthwhile strain, it'll let you keep your wits about yourself, no paranoia (not for me at least) and its social and mellow. So that's my take on some KM seeds bought in 2009.

there goes edro

Veteran
Thanks for all the info IC!! I've heard good, I've heard bad. I pondered whether the results would justify the price tag on her because if figured there was better sativa genetics out there that was cheaper but I want her to try for myself. Been stocking up so it'll be awhile before I get to her but someday....

JDOG6000

Veteran
pre 98 kali mist

pre 98 kali mist

After a ten year search. i finally found someone with the original kali mist, he kept it for breeding. He made alot of killer hybrids with it too. Jelly mist was s purp x he made with it for example. This pre 98 kali mist pheno tastes like grape spice. I can see,taste and feel the thai in it.
I also grew the indica clone that was going around back in the early 2000s. I didnt like the indica version. But the old sativa genetics came out when i crossed with a hogsbreathbx(white mustang). You can see the old kali mist in the hybrid i made (mustang mist). Im gonna take a male of that and cross it back to the pre 98 KM. Get some more old kali mist gentics in this strain. Im hoping to find a hogsbreath flavored sativa pheno. So far it tastes more like grape liqourice combined with hogsbreath. Pretty unique. And totally carries the mist high. I highly suggest the early or newer version. He probably just crossed the indica version back to the original to make the new version. Im very happy i found the original though. Took ten years of searching. ;)

Claude

Veteran
Hi JDog,

Are you the person I think you are??

Are you the father of Mustang??

If so I am glad to see you again!

Respect
Claude

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
How many people are using OG crosses and selling seeds from them? Why aren't you criticizing everyone who does that? Tons of breeders are selling seeds using genetics they didn't create . It's amusing that you feel the need to put so much emphasis on Serious Seeds when you have dozens of companies selling seeds using genetics they didn't create.

In fact I do it as well, but it's not critizising, it's sharing information people should have. I know there are tons of breeders doing that... that's why 90%+ of "breeders" are just a bunch of liers and robbers and nobody sould waste their money on them, they are just doing stuff anybody could do at home with an absolute lack of ethics, selling gold priced mud and hidding behind their "breeding secrets". Everytime I have interesting information for someone who's asking I will share it like others did before with me, because most people don't know and trust the seedbank's marketing bullshit, be it from dutch sellers, the american kush dusters or the newschool spanish knock-offers and bulk-makers!

I don't give a damn about Serious but I would love to have known in the past all the stuff I do know now, so I wouldn't have wasted my money on them and maybe find other alternatives more suitable to my own needs and desires. You can believe whatever you want but other people may find the information valuable. Growers should get good information so they can make their own decissions and have their own criteria instead of getting misinformed by seedbank marketing, sponsored magazines and forum fanboys.

Last but not least, I honestly recommend to any grower to play and make their own seeds and enjoy exchanging crosses with friends instead of wasting money on most seed-selling companies (unless they are proper breeders bringing something new and valuable to the table), otherwise get clones or research for the best option if looking for a certain strain. It will give them lotta more satisfactions, because all this is the reason why cannabussiness is such a brothel nowadays and reached this point of mediocrity.

P.S: before talking, i've grown several packets from Serious, last ones were AK47 and Kali Mist from 2008. Totally dissapointing and not worth the terrible money they cost, that's why I started researching on them. Thanks god that I still had some old Skunk Hazes, Jack Herer and Western Winds at home, just in case I wanna grow some classic dutch-era strains.

Vibes.

RandyCalifornia

Well endowed member
Veteran
Appropriate handle "Hollow"
I see your gallery is full of big fat chunky budz?
I love it when clueless fools come on here to defend celebrity pollen chuckers and attack knowledgeable people for speaking their truth.

purple_man

Veteran
here we go again...

chill out hollow, why are you so amped up??? why dissin folks flowers as "whispy buds"???
ever thought about, that many folks grow for their headstash and ain't slangin? or ever thought about that some folks, like to smoke mostly or pure sativas (whispy buds as you put it) cause they wanna get high and not stoned/couchlocked???

now let's get to the "breeders"...
first of all, do you have a clue what the term breeding means in the sense of botany?
it ain't about growing 10 - 100 hybrids, mixing those all over the place and inventing cool sounding names for those mongrels sibblings ...

anyhow, im glad you are happy with your serious gear, i used to be too 10+ years ago, but recent years what i seen coming out of their gear -> i rather stay very far... and look for "kalimist" in haze x skunk hybrids :)

blessss

T

tazz11

both guns ...

you ask for it ...
first off your talking about one of the two oldest seed companies

I have grown their Chronic and the strain was true to the write up and I had 8 females out of 10 seeds ,the plants were about 22 -26 inches high and just toped off nice ...as often I hear things and people saying how they did not get the strain they pay for . that's not true and I agree with Hollow dam . but he is correct in this case it is the growers or his environments ..if your a good grower you can grow what you want . if your a great breeder you can grow anything ...lol if I get strain base that dose not want to take I change the temp and stay off the ferts till I see some kind of growth ....some strains just well not match your growing environment ,its up to you to see it and do something about it .. those growers make me lol .. you old school know the type the growers that throw the seeds in and wait for the time to tell them its ready ...lol how many growers here have put a chair in their grow and seat there 24 hours with out leavening the grow room .. I have many times .

Serious seeds is a great company . and I for one will stand by their genetics and their skills ...

T

tazz11

both guns ...

you ask for it ...
first off your talking about one of the two oldest seed companies

I have grown their Chronic and the strain was true to the write up and I had 8 females out of 10 seeds ,the plants were about 22 -26 inches high and just toped off nice ...as often I hear things and people saying how they did not get the strain they pay for . that's not true and I agree with Hollow dam . but he is correct in this case it is the growers or his environments ..if your a good grower you can grow what you want . if your a great breeder you can grow anything ...lol if I get strain base that dose not want to take I change the temp and stay off the ferts till I see some kind of growth ....some strains just well not match your growing environment ,its up to you to see it and do something about it .. those growers make me lol .. you old school know the type the growers that throw the seeds in and wait for the time to tell them its ready ...lol how many growers here have put a chair in their grow and seat there 24 hours with out leavening the grow room .. I have many times .

Serious seeds is a great company . and I for one will stand by their genetics and their skills ...
just to add for good measures
those 8 plants were picture prefect to serious seeds pictures of the strain base . and yes I had 3 or 4 friends that saw those plants and will confirm what I just said .....if I can take a random pack of their seeds and do that.... if you have the mad skills ...so can you...

supino

On a lighter note.. I have a few circa ~2010 just above ground...ill comment as they come along..I always held it in high regard in decades past.. And there's really only one true way to find out.. Reg stock by the way

Claude

Veteran
Tutankhamen? are you telling me that another breeders knock off is better than serious seeds original? thats probably the most convincing thing you have said lol tbh greenhouse seeds and th seeds win cups every year but their strains are bunk aswell.

you said in the last thread that ak47 from seed is better than any og/elite clone only you have ever smoked.
do you still stand by that statement?
do you not think its misinformation to make people believe that ak47 seeds with yield plants better than international elites?

Hi Siftedunity,

I am afraid that Hollow is right about Tutankhamon.
This also a statement that many are using our seeds and enter them into cannabis contest without our help to get the best phenotype, and they win with it.
(There is also cannabis cup done for growers and not the breeders.)

With our constant wins with AK47 there is no doubt that it is the most awarded strain.
Some say it is over exaggerated but proof is on paper done by many good and bad growers alike.

We are putting our seeds to the test at each batch.
Simon is on top of the game and he make sure he deliver the best quality in the business.

With most Respect!
Claude

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Latest posts