What's new

Is Serious Seeds Kali Mist still good?

there goes edro

Veteran
Always was interested in this strain but heard that Serious Seeds lost alot of the original parent stock that they built their nane upon. Just wondering if anybody has recently ran Kali Mist who might have tried the Kali Mist from the early 2000s. If so is it still as good as it was back then. Use to hear all kinds of rave but no longer.

I

Iron_Lion

I have read they changed it in the mid 2000's, towards a more indica side. Then maybe changed it back, but who knows if it is the original genetics that were offered before that.

But then again...maybe I am confused. :joint:

J

Junkhead

Anybody know which indica Simon added in?

I've seen people speculate that Kali Mist is a primarily a Skunk/Haze. I always thought it seemed pretty plausible. Anybody else think so? Anybody know for sure what its lineage is?

Check the serious subforum here I'm sure they have some Kali Mist grows

I

Iron_Lion

Western Winds from Sagamathra seeds is supposedly the classic sativa Kali as the story goes.

Here is a quote from Claude from Serious

High,

Just to clarify the Kali Mist lineage:

The genetics of Kali Mist come from Cambodia, Colombia, Mexico and Africa.

Respect
Claude

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
That's a little bit of bullshit man... Serious Seeds is one of the first seedbanks where everyone started to get dissapointed, specially with the AK47. No one doubts that Simon is a great breeder or whatever but in this case, that's not fair.

Even Simon himself told that he bred the strain more into the afgan side to get faster flowering and better production, etc... even entered cannabis cup as indica category after that lol! And everyone who grew old and new AKs knows that.

With the Kali they changed the recipe several times too. Go with Western Winds for sure to make a good selection. But still will be unpredictable. A friend of mine has Kali Mist from a packet bought the past year, soon I will try to put some images but the last time I saw the plants, the leaves and structure were far from being a pure sativa... if u want consistent comercial sativas, I would go with something else to make good selection tho.

peace.

medmaker420

The Aardvarks LED Grow Show
Veteran
There are so many strains I wish I would have kept in my stable from back in the day. New seeds from old strains just never seem to add up to what I remember about them.

I LOVED my old ak keeper female

headees

I agree Mustafunk, Seems AK gets recommended to death in the 'best cash crop', and the like threads, and while it does yield well, the new Ak is the definition of mediocrity. Definitely far and away from the AK I remember smoking in the 90s. Even the sativa phenos were totally meh. Has totally turned me off to Serious, and I used to think of them as a gold standard in the seed biz.

Big City

Guys, some of you are talking about AK47, but the poster wants feedback on Kali Mist.

Ive grown Kali Mist, and it is a great strain. It's a good, mostly sativa hybrid. Kali has been changed twice. First in 98, when they added more indica, and then in 2000 when they supposedly restored its sativa characteristics. All of the talk about changed genetics almost scared me away, but I bought it anyway, and was happy with the results.

The Kali I grew was very good. it's got a hint of indica, but it's still a clear high, and retains the sativa effect. It's a lot easier to grow than a typical 100% sativa and finishes sooner. There are other strains I could recommend if you want a pure sativa, but they require more work. The Kali was a good trade-off as far as easy to grow, yet still had the sativa effects.

señorsloth

Veteran
i think most people haven't tried kali mist but many have tried ak and that is why they are using it as a benchmark for the quality of serious seeds as a whole, considering ak47 is their flagship strain...

i was impressed with the yeild and vigor of my ak47 i bought 2 years ago, but i couldn't stand the flavor and they took 10 or 11 weeks to ripen...after that i decided against trying white russian cause it's half ak, and probably has some of that nasty sandlewood/rotting fruit taste that ak has... kali mist takes even longer and i have heard a lot of mixed stuff about the bubblegum, so i basically wrote off the company at that point, and i'm really not sure i like that they made new strains and bought up another companies strains as well...if they can't get 5 strains right how are they gonna do ten?

meh, if you want a nice sativa that wont take 3 months to bud give c99 a shot, it's lovely.

Hemphrey Bogart

Veteran
I'm currently growing SS's Kali Mist from somewhat recent stock (I think I bought them in 2011?? I'll have to check). I got two females going outdoors in 20 gallon smart pots filled with dirt. One is noticeably taller than the other, but both plants look more sativa than indica in structure, at least to my eye. I think the shorter one is going to finish first, but who knows?

I'll try to remember to update this thread with photos later and maybe a smoke report when they're done.

HB.

meltybubble

Guys, some of you are talking about AK47, but the poster wants feedback on Kali Mist.

Ive grown Kali Mist, and it is a great strain. It's a good, mostly sativa hybrid. Kali has been changed twice. First in 98, when they added more indica, and then in 2000 when they supposedly restored its sativa characteristics. All of the talk about changed genetics almost scared me away, but I bought it anyway, and was happy with the results.

The Kali I grew was very good. it's got a hint of indica, but it's still a clear high, and retains the sativa effect. It's a lot easier to grow than a typical 100% sativa and finishes sooner. There are other strains I could recommend if you want a pure sativa, but they require more work. The Kali was a good trade-off as far as easy to grow, yet still had the sativa effects.

Must agree,I ran the old cut years ago too and recently flowered some of the new offerings.They are sativa dom and do remind me of the old kali for sure.
A great plant to grow and the high is awesome,nice to smoke.I have a couple going atm,ill update my album soon.
Hope this helps.

Homebrewer

Veteran
I have no experience with the older version of Kali Mist but I can tell you that the SS kali mist beans I got 2 years ago were exactly what I was looking for. Energizing, positive and social high, clear, slightly euphoric, potent and long lasting with zero sleepy come down. Mine smells like lavender and spice when it grows and cures up to a lemon grass and spice type aroma. I'm a sativa guy and it's the best sativa I've smoked to date.

Kali at around 100 days:

I suppose it's all about selection but my girl has bud sites that fill in all the way to the bottom of the plant with these airy, wispy flowers. Considering the poor flower density, which should be expected with these far leaning sativas, she actually yields pretty well.

Jamaica Nice

Veteran
If you like Kali, you can also test the new YGriega from Medical Seeds, that plant is really good, and the perfect combination fo Amnesiahaze and Kali mist... The bank. well you already know about the banks job.... lets beter talk about seeds and phenos! jejeje

DRorganic

Veteran
Love Kali mist .i do not know what the pre 98 was or how it smoked but if you are looking fora afortibale haze/saliva. Then you will not go wrong with serious seed kalimist. To me allseedsare a crap shoot.

HOVAH2.0

Kali mist is still great, i had my first fire smokin buds grown from a reg seed pack purchased in 2006. Seriouz seeds has earn my respect./

I have no experience with the older version of Kali Mist but I can tell you that the SS kali mist beans I got 2 years ago were exactly what I was looking for. Energizing, positive and social high, clear, slightly euphoric, potent and long lasting with zero sleepy come down. Mine smells like lavender and spice when it grows and cures up to a lemon grass and spice type aroma. I'm a sativa guy and it's the best sativa I've smoked to date.

Spot on description of my experience. Excellent exotic taste that can be very enjoyably smoked every day. Don't know about the old version, but was very impressed with the newer version. I remember reading Simon believes that the new version is better and that people can be blinded by nostalgia. Just take Kali Mist for what it currently is and you'll be impressed, or maybe try Western Winds to see if you like that too.

stasis

Registered Non-Conformist
Veteran
From what I read, Kali Mist is the same genetics as SSH, Western Winds, etc. A three-way hybrid of Skunk #1 - NL (#?) - and Haze. So From seed the phenotypical variety would vary.. But, one "should" get similar phenotypes from any of these Strains.

Latest posts

Latest posts