What's new

Is Nevilles Haze still the strongest haze?

LostTribe

Premium user
I get that some people want the short ones and some want a 20' monster but what no one wants is the shitty hay phenos.

If they could weed out the garbage and reduce it to 5 or 6 phenos I think people would be happy with that. In my experience strains like ssh have dozens of phenos, I've been growing mns hazes for years I never see the same pheno pop up more than once, every plant is different. Many are hay, plants that many would consider decent are few and plants people would consider excellent are rare, now mind you if you find that rare one you are in for a treat but they are not easy to come by.

ah whats with the Hay I say for I cannot fathom anymore Hay in anyway for another day!

Pop them I grabbed a pack and will pop some when they get here!

bigbadbiddy

Morphote is a veteran, you can take his word over mine, he has been there longer and knows the history better so if he sez it was because we requested access to the seed vault, then that's how it was.

As for the comment about looking like not knowing the strain when stating that "half the plants are hay":
I stand by it although I want to stipulate that obviously it is important to consider where you are coming from and how you rate stuff.

If you are an old cannabis head that has seen it all then you might consider a plant as "hay" which others would call "decent, just not a winner pheno".
Could this be the root of that comment?
Because I have never heard of lines like Neville's Haze producing "hay phenos" and I did very extensive research. Have not grown it out myself yet but I have 30+ seeds on standby for the coming year.
It would be very surprising to me if I end up with any "hay" phenos. I expect 1-4 winners from the 30+ beans and the rest to be "alright" or "decent" or "good".
This expectation comes from reading a lot about the strain and talking to people in the Netherlands who grew it as well as with Shanti and others over at the MRN forum.

bluntmassa

It's probably the most Haze dominant strain but there very well may be better Sativa plants from Ace genetics and many others do have nice Haze hybrids.

Burt

Veteran
I for one will follow your grow log closely big daddy but I gotta ask, why not isolate a killer mom now so your not disappointed next year?

bigbadbiddy

You mean me?

Space is full with other stuff :D

Well not yet, actually still have quite a bit more capacity.

But I am working on my cycles atm. This is the first run with filler genetics to test stuff out and make mistakes.

Once I dialed in the setup, I will go to the magic beans which Neville's Haze is a part of.
Could be the year after, I don#t fret the time much, no rush for me as it is all for personal consumption and I don't smoke THAT much that I would run out in between harvests.

When I move to the magic beans, every spot will be utilized and I will likely be growing monocultures (meaning 1 strain at a time) to make selection easier. At that point it makes no sense to pre-select anything.

Anyway, how can you pre-select a mother?
Sure going after veg time, finishing time, growth pattern, smells etc.
But the most important factor (to me anyhow) is the effect of the end product and that can't be judged any other way but flowering the plants out and comparing the finished product with each other.

To me, selecting a keeper female will be selected months after its mother plant was harvested. Until then I will try to keep clones of each female I had "last round" in veg and as small as possible through pruning (bonsai method).
Then I will eliminate all but my most favorite clone and veg it as a mother plant for future clone-runs (if I run out of favored herb) or breeding projects.

Cuzin_Dave

Haze was never formally or informally stabilised before being incorporated into the Dutch commercial gene pool. If someone wanted to grow out 10000 plants and start making stabilizing selections at F2 things might be possible.

Arf

Haze was never formally or informally stabilised before being incorporated into the Dutch commercial gene pool. If someone wanted to grow out 10000 plants and start making stabilizing selections at F2 things might be possible.

True, I have TFD OHaze, NH, and KC Brains Haze Special, all 3 of them can show some slight indica traits. I like them all, they work great outdoors as is. Indoors you just have to make a big bunch of F2s and pick from them unless you are really lucky with the F1s. Stretch is the main problem I found more light doesn't help much, node spacing of 3-5" quickly adds up, (the males can be 7" spacing) so it pays to select a more compact pheno, and perhaps self pollinate it. I think there is more than enough variation in the genetics to find some nice indoor phenos without having to hybridize again. It just takes time.

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What's the best option when it comes to a haze collection nowadays. ..I'm interested in running sams haze cross stuff... I missed some on the seedsman website a few years back... cali o x haze sounded right up my street. .now I'm looking at sk1 x haze to find a decent old school haze taste

LostTribe

Premium user
I grabbed a pack of Neville's might check it out later I am running ACE Oldtimer's Purple Haze right now but only 5 days into 11/13.

Who's the Neville's growers on here I want some more info on it.

Cuzin_Dave

Neville had little or no background in plant breeding when those clones and a few seeds made their way to the Netherlands. The stuff of urban legend much like the Herijuana and G13 nonsense that used to circulate.

LostTribe

Premium user
Neville had little or no background in plant breeding when those clones and a few seeds made their way to the Netherlands. The stuff of urban legend much like the Herijuana and G13 nonsense that used to circulate.

I have seen L33t's Neville's grow and it looks better than so called elite cuttings IMHO.

I have also run 88Ghash and it kicks the shit out of so called elites of today, I call them poly hybrids.

Also, are Haze C and Haze A not the Haze varieties which led to todays versions of Haze varieties other than possibly Ohaze and the Oldtimer's? Yes they are!

L33t 2009 MNS Nevilles Haze
Neville_sHaze_CuredFlowers_006.jpg

Neville_sHaze_SunlitCuredBud_004.jpg

Cheers!
LT

Burt

Veteran

Bingo-and thats precisely how we got silver haze, kali mist, amnesia haze, SSH, and jack herer among others

Burt

Veteran
Neville had won many awards as an animal breeder before getting
his hands dirty so to speak
Same with reeferman-animal farmers/browsers
Animal breeding and plant breeding may have more in common than we thought?

Cuzin_Dave

It is not a question of weed quality. Indica dominant phenos might be ready after seven weeks with dense nugs. It might take 12 or more weeks of flower to get wispy sativa buds with no bag appeal as it were. It is a matter of choice. Grow for yourself and one can make that choice.

LostTribe

Premium user
It is not a question of weed quality. Indica dominant phenos might be ready after seven weeks with dense nugs. It might take 12 or more weeks of flower to get wispy sativa buds with no bag appeal as it were. It is a matter of choice. Grow for yourself and one can make that choice.

I believe there is no other way but to grow for ones self.....ohhhhmmmmmmmmmmm!

With most of todays seeds there will always be selection necessary to locate a "keeper" profile. Different strokes for different folks. Each strain may affect another differently as well.

Nevilles Haze shows spectacular results once a keeper is found. Packs start at 15 which is also more bountiful than most are willing to offer. Some are also 18....mine are on the way hope they are the best $50 15 pack I have every tried! edit:they sent 17! Thanks MNS crew!

Dog Star

Veteran
Chaco was breed with NH and was getting nice results in crossings,

was tryed those Sour BX and i loved those plant and shes effects.

Hurd that pure NH can give paranoya and fear effects with a heart palpitations,anxiety.. but i read also here in thread that there is NHs that
give pleasant sativa stones,lot of laughs.. so i think that line is worth
of trying to found that pheno that will tickle a sweet spot
depends on a person and their preferences for specific type of stone.

Will love to found those happy,lot of laughs weed so i think i will look in a
future in NH line..

bigbadbiddy

What characterized NH for me when smoking it (twice in my life, both times in Netherlands from shops) is yes, giggly and "uplift" feelings, toughts etc.

But more impressive (to me) was the "hazed" feeling I got. Like everything around me is wrapped in cotton, everything felt "soft" and "warm" and "gentle". Not sure how else to describe it.

Maybe folks in snowy regions know what I am talking about.
When there is fresh snow and you are walking around with few people on the street, everything is somehow "softer" because it is enveloped in snow. Everything sounds and feels a bit differently, like I said "wrapped in cotton" or something.

NH is somewhat like that (to me).

Very "peaceful" and "kind" strain.
I cannot confirm any "racyness" or paranoia or anxiety etc. although that might be because the bud I got was well grown and harvested and cured correctly.
I hear many Sativas produce those "negative" effects when harvested too early or too late etc.

Anyway, will see if I can take NH up a notch still and really knock down that "hazed" and "kind" feel.

Latest posts

Latest posts