What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Is my seedling stretching too much?

CoCoSativas

Okay, so before I begin the update on the Green Ninjas, I'd like to share some good and bad news first:

Good News- Remember when I said my tap water's ppm's were at 80? I was wrong. They're even better. This pic is me testing my tap on my recently calibrated cheapo tds meter.

View Image

Bad News- My RO filter licks ass. It only brings my ppm's down to 42 from 50. I'd expect 0 ppm's from a properly working unit. I'm going to contact customer service. I'm pretty sure I'm using the unit correctly. I followed the instructions perfectly.

Okay, so today was the first day of feeding for the girls. I fed them with quarter strength nutes following the Soul Synthetics feeding chart.

Here's how they look after roughly 3 weeks from seed.

View Image

View Image

View Image

View Image

As you can see, #1 is more bushy than #2. This is surprising considering #1 looks more healthy and has showed more uniform growth thus far. #1 also has more developing nodes than #2 as well. Pretty impressed with the resilience of #1 considering I once contemplated chopping it due to it's weird initial growth. Shout out to Midwest Sticky for suggesting to keep it around.

Question: Is it safe to top them at this stage? Or should I wait until they're a little bigger?

Don't rush topping wait until they have some decent branching to take over, my opinion anyway. I never want to shock them early. I'd start topting on plants the size of mine now...

CoCoSativas

Okay, so before I begin the update on the Green Ninjas, I'd like to share some good and bad news first:

Good News- Remember when I said my tap water's ppm's were at 80? I was wrong. They're even better. This pic is me testing my tap on my recently calibrated cheapo tds meter.

View Image

Bad News- My RO filter licks ass. It only brings my ppm's down to 42 from 50. I'd expect 0 ppm's from a properly working unit. I'm going to contact customer service. I'm pretty sure I'm using the unit correctly. I followed the instructions perfectly.

Okay, so today was the first day of feeding for the girls. I fed them with quarter strength nutes following the Soul Synthetics feeding chart.

Here's how they look after roughly 3 weeks from seed.

View Image

View Image

View Image

View Image

As you can see, #1 is more bushy than #2. This is surprising considering #1 looks more healthy and has showed more uniform growth thus far. #1 also has more developing nodes than #2 as well. Pretty impressed with the resilience of #1 considering I once contemplated chopping it due to it's weird initial growth. Shout out to Midwest Sticky for suggesting to keep it around.

Question: Is it safe to top them at this stage? Or should I wait until they're a little bigger?

Sorry my screen tweaked and I only saw half the pic, yeah that's totally safe to top.

Clone the top...

CoCoSativas

Also forgot, when starting spends, pointy end down. The side with the joint that connected to the plant toward the sky, or it will not work out very well, j root and whatever else happens.

I've heard lots about the Soul Synthetics I wonder if I can get the stuff in Canada...

Totally ditch dirt it sucks. . Grow coco for the winning yield of hardware styles. Also comes with trichoderma, bonus. Also the days of huge bags of dirt, gone, coco comes in little bricks I fit 4 in a medium home depot box. 5 kg bricks I get 12-15 gals, (or up to 60 liters says the package if you are metric, I use both)

Hey I'm also using co2 in my tent, expecting great results this run..

Alright, so today is the start of week 3 of veg. Just put up my scrog net, but it seems a little higher than necessary, so I might lower it. Still feeding every watering with quarter strength nutes following the soul synthetics chart.

I topped them last week and the branching has been rather exponential. I also starting lightly lsting them, by tucking some fan leaves under some shoots to allow them access to light. I also started tying down #2 with the same twine I used for my scrog net.

As you can see, the fan leaves are out of control on #1. #2, not so much, but it does have four massive fan leaves that I've been trying to tuck under shoots.

I've been trying to avoid defoliating as I've read that it must be done with caution and I don't want to fuck the plants up, this early in the game.

1532vc6.jpg

29qgjfm.jpg

#1 is so leafy and different in it's growth pattern that I've decided to put it into flowering in the next couple days, separate from #2, under the growblu 225w. I really am not digging this plant so much, so I'm just gonna prune any lower branches, wait 3 days, then flower it.

Here's a shot of #2's lower branching tied down. This was actually quite an annoying process with the smart pots. I feel I could have done a better job, but I'm going to be attempting to implement some super cropping soon. I'm just scared to fuck anything up and stunt growth.

16irzsw.jpg

#1 and it's dense jungle.

2yzlmrl.jpg

Last edited:
I also moved the seedlings to the 2x2 with the Green Ninjas.

The Afghani #2 is still big as hell and is more developed, but it stretched so much and got so leggy, it has needed support at all times. I'm honestly not really like it's leaf structure either. I'm relatively sure it's a male and was going to use it to breed, but am reconsidering.

16bisxu.jpg

The Strawberry Blue(left) is doing amazing and is in line for the next run. Afghani #1(right) is doing okay. The leaves had a little bit of some wiltedness to them, but it's doing fine. I like the difference between it's fat indica keaves and the skinnier sativa dom leaves of the SB.

el1t2p.jpg

As for the little herbs, sunflowers, and strawberries my girl is growing, they're doing good, but with slow progress. So, I won't be updating them unless some epic shit happens.

Cilantro and basil finally have some true leaves showing. Sunflowers are huge still. Strawberries finally started sprouting.

2dsfl75.jpg

We plan on building a small greenhouse to grow our own veggies, herbs, and fruits until winter. I'm gonna try to stick a couple very small autoflowering plants in it, too.

Even have plans for a small chicken coop for fresh eggs.

Also forgot, when starting spends, pointy end down. The side with the joint that connected to the plant toward the sky, or it will not work out very well, j root and whatever else happens.

I've heard lots about the Soul Synthetics I wonder if I can get the stuff in Canada...

Totally ditch dirt it sucks. . Grow coco for the winning yield of hardware styles. Also comes with trichoderma, bonus. Also the days of huge bags of dirt, gone, coco comes in little bricks I fit 4 in a medium home depot box. 5 kg bricks I get 12-15 gals, (or up to 60 liters says the package if you are metric, I use both)

Hey I'm also using co2 in my tent, expecting great results this run..

So far, I'm liking the Soul Synthetics. No problems at all. I got the starter pack with the whole line, so I can try it with all the additives, too.

And yeah, for sure. I've been doing lots of research on it lately. I just can't decide on which coco brand to use. I've heard Canna and a few other names. But, I think I might settle with the Botanicare 5kg brick and some perlite with blue planet nutrients.

And yeah, I've been checking out your 600w grow. They're coming along well, bud! :tiphat:

CoCoSativas

So far, I'm liking the Soul Synthetics. No problems at all. I got the starter pack with the whole line, so I can try it with all the additives, too.

And yeah, for sure. I've been doing lots of research on it lately. I just can't decide on which coco brand to use. I've heard Canna and a few other names. But, I think I might settle with the Botanicare 5kg brick and some perlite with blue planet nutrients.

And yeah, I've been checking out your 600w grow. They're coming along well, bud! :tiphat:

We are both at about the same place in veg. Thats king of cool. Ive got some long flowering stuff, so you will probably finnish first. Thats ok tho, its not a competition.

We are both at about the same place in veg. Thats king of cool. Ive got some long flowering stuff, so you will probably finnish first. Thats ok tho, its not a competition.

Yeah, mine is gonna have to go about 60 days. You're gonna pull a lot more than me with the 600w hps. I just have a 400w LED in a 2x2. looking at everyone's grows motivates me more. :tiphat:

Forgot to mention. Yesterday was also the first day of 18/6 lighting after running 20/4. The one night difference was crazy. Pics later.

Midwest sticky

Resident Smartass & midget connoisseur
Glad things are going good now. And you can get a good yield with the light you have just don't expect some pounds lol.

Glad things are going good now. And you can get a good yield with the light you have just don't expect some pounds lol.

Yeah, I know not to get my hopes up. After all the grows I've seen, I know I can, at the bare minimum with perfect conditions, expect around 4 oz. I'm hoping for at least 6 oz with the scrog

Glad things are going good now.

forgot to say thanks for the kind words, man.

Also, just noticed when feeding last night. Decided to take a peek at the bottom of my smart pots to ensure proper runoff and they both have roots growing through the pots at the bottoms?

Should I be worried about this?

#2 has a long ass root followed by a few others and #1 only has a couple small ones. I shall take pics later today.

I know smart pots allow root aeration, but since they are on flat surfaces, I guess the bottoms of the pots aren't being exposed to air. Thus, allowing roots to penetrate the pot and just do their own damn thing.

Okay, so quite an update today.

It's the beginning of the 4th week of veg for Green Ninja #2 and I've moved it, along with the seedlings, to my 3x3 to continue vegging.

I kept #1 in the 2x2 and pruned it two days ago. Today is officially the first day of 12/12 lighting and bloom nutes(quarter strength still)

Everything is looking good and I'm pretty stoked to get this first plant rolling.

Side view of the GN #2

drw9x.jpg

Top View

2r7x0zt.jpg

Seedlings left to right: Afghani #1, Strawberry Blue, Afghani #2

3128ubq.jpg

GN #1, only topped once. Could have gotten more shoots, but I kinda just want to be done with this pheno already. Lookin' good though.

oqw113.jpg

Pruned

30dj6fc.jpg

Nice ScroG net! What LED you using? Also: thats one healthy looking plant ya got there! What's your yield goal?

-KA

Thanks, man. :tiphat: I built it following hygrohybrid's video on how to build one. And my light is the MarsHydro Mars II 400w. It's about 200 from the wall.

And I'm aiming for 4-6oz for the one under the net, but am gonna keep vegging and topping that one for a while. Might keep it as a mother.

As for #1 in the 2x2, I don't know what to expect. It had 3 weeks of veg and only topped once. It's got a few shoots, but not a lot. I'm gonna guess around 2-4oz.

Latest posts

Latest posts