What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Is it really that complicated?

Gdood9

Look, anybody can grow weed on a very small scale. I'm not talking about yield or potency. I'm just saying it will grow. Weed plants will grow with minimal attention. Trust me, the plant will grow. I've done experiments where I've intentionally neglected a plant just to see what would happen. Here's what I found. The plant grew. Was it the best? On my scale...no. It didn't yield much. Did the final product get you high? Yes. It could have been much stronger but if you're just an individual just looking to grow some decent weed that's better than half the shit out there it doesn't take much. I've got a sour d cut that is dank no matter what you do to it, it's just the yield that is affected by how much I feed it. I ran it once with no nutes in soil and the final product was still potent, the yield just blew.

Commercial is a completely different animal. You have to consider all the other parts of the grow. Yield and efficiency become much more important. That's where the difficulties come in. Is it really that much harder though? No, it's just more time consuming. I'm a medical grower and I have tons of competition so I have to make sure my buds are good. I'll say the prep of the grow is harder than actually growing the plants. If you feed the plants the right things they'll grow just fine. It's everything around them that really takes attention to maximize yield and potency.

There really is no simple answer to this question. It's as easy as your capabilities as a grower. To some people it's easy, to some it's not. I have a buddy with an aquaponics setup and he thinks it's easy. I wouldn't say the same. I don't think it's the hardest thing in the world but it'd be really hard for a noob to be successful at. I grow in good ole organic soil and coco. For me mixing nutes, handwatering, and taking the time to inspect my plants is the easy part. Building the room and keeping atmospheric conditions correct are the hardest part, but with the proper components that's not even that hard.

The size of your grow combined with your amount of attention to the grow is what will decide how easy or difficult the job will be.

B

bipotato

If you think the term "growing" only encompasses the actual, physical growth of the plant and not much more, you might be right. That is, if you were talking about your closet grow. Unfortunately, the ability to physically grow a plant typically requires a location! Whether this be your owned home (much easier), outdoors guerilla (not so simple), or in a rental location (also not always simple).

In my personal experience, I've found the actual growth of the plant to be quite a bit less complicated (and rather trivial) compared to most other tasks, even though there are many noob-unfriendly strains that won't necessarily simply "do well" even if you give it food, light, and water. As for the actual environment / room, the smaller the grow, the less variables, less problems, less challenges, less risks, and thus less complications.

You can sit back, nay-say all day, grow beasters, and just talk about it: about how "easy" it is to be a clueless chump on top of the world after getting an AK47 plant to flower. Or you can actually step up to the plate, and be about it. Your choice, obviously. I'm gonna bet that the majority will just sit talking about it. I'm also gonna bet that the majority of those honestly, deep down inside, dream about growing bigger and quitting their day job. But of course, they will never admit that they don't have the balls or skills.

Lt. Herb

No offense, but if I can get 90% of the results for 10% of the effort, I'll just sit in my dirty little organic garden and laugh about it.

Will my dirty little organic garden ever make me rich? Nope, but then again, it's not intended to. It's primary purpose is to keep me from having to associate with dirty little drug dealers, which it does wonderfully.

supermanlives

Veteran
some people like to make it complicated. i see growers that use like 15 different products or more. i keep it simple and only use like 6 products.

yes. dont refrain, go for it :)

your plant was spot on, looked dank as fuck, like u said it kept u baked for four hours. i cant believe how much time bi potato(whatever that means) dude spent on replying to my every statement to prove nothing. its a positive statement to say weed is easy to grow, not a neg one

gdood9=''I've got a sour d cut that is dank no matter what you do to it, it's just the yield that is affected by how much I feed it. I ran it once with no nutes in soil and the final product was still potent, the yield just blew.''

my point exactly, and my only point im trying to make, very easy to grow top shelf dope, maybe not easy to max the potential of yeild, node spaceing, all the things that make weed hobbisyst so proud n smart but in truth all things that can be learned in about 5 minutes tops, but it is easy as can be to produce the best your first try, pride not even needed, its that easy.

''bipotato''So who grows all the bullshit dope that seems to be flooding a good majority of the market? I consider about 80% of the weed I come across as "bullshit", and that includes many in "top shelf" jars in dispensaries going for $60+ an eighth. The other 15% is "about average" and might be worth smoking in my opinion. (And I've come across a lot of weed, that word doesn't do it justice.) What are these guys growing in? Their dirt doesn't drain so well? Non-potable water used? ''

your learing quickly , most top shelf in dispenseries is crap, much like plenty of amsterdam coffee shop weed is basic crap, u think people dont know this already, even with all those fancy grow skills n trinket at dispenseries the weed sucks, its called bad genes n lack of blue light, doesnt get any deeper then this.

enjia2000

OP here, didn't think this thread would get so popular. I'm on day 10 here, seeds in soil, water only. Switched to 12/12 cause of my small space. I grew up on a farm so I know a little bit about growing. Plants seem happy to me. Probably start 1/4 neuts on day 14 to see what happens.

simon

Weedomus Maximus
Veteran
some people like to make it complicated. i see growers that use like 15 different products or more. i keep it simple and only use like 6 products.

<grin> I only use 2 products and Pro-Mix right out of the bag. I like to think that my plants speak for themselves. Growing can be very simple and foolproof. There's almost a mechanical precision to the process.

Vin marioni, having read this thread, you've piqued my curiosity. Do you have any plants that you grew to show us?

Simon

B

bipotato

your learing quickly , most top shelf in dispenseries is crap, much like plenty of amsterdam coffee shop weed is basic crap, u think people dont know this already, even with all those fancy grow skills n trinket at dispenseries the weed sucks, its called bad genes n lack of blue light, doesnt get any deeper then this.
So you're telling me that all the supposedly-elite strain names that look like bullshit were actually fake, loser phenotypes of some strain unrelated to the labeled name? Sometimes, that happens. But more often than not, it's because the grower did a bad job growing it. All the bullshit Chem's, all the bullshit OG's... all the bullshit ________ that's going around... it's all because the quality wasn't in the genetics, right? Or was it because they used a HPS lamp or some other light that didn't have enough blue? Oh, please!! :pointlaug

Want a real-world example, in the form of a well-documented thread on this site, of what increased growing skills can do to the exact same genetics (clone) over a period of time? Go see a fellow by the name of ItsGrowTime, maybe he can do a better job of explaining it to you.

Want more real-world examples how much variation there is between the exact same cutting grown by different people? Go see the Grow Diaries subforum.

If you truly & honestly feel that the picture that smokeymacpot posted was an example of a well-fed, well-grown & healthy plant and represents "dank as fuck" to you... WOW I give up, you win!!

Miss Blunted

Resident Bongtender
Veteran
It's pretty complicated when you take into account the vast array of knowledge there is out there. Narrow down how you want to grow...what medium, nute line, strains....etc and master it. Then, when you want to switch your growing methods...figure out what way and master that. Learning about hydro, organic soil, coco and all that at the same time will spin your head. Also, filtering out "bad" information takes time. It just takes time to be a really good grower....and a little money, most of the time.

Cush

I know so many people that see someone else making good money and produce dank herb. They think it can't be that hard, I can do that too. The truth is that you probably can but it's gonna take a while. I see people try to start up waste so much money on stupid shit and get shitty results. I see simple and inexpensive setups work excellent. It comes down to experience, knowledge, trial and error, and learning from your failures of which you will have plenty. I'm saying this because I wasted money and had plenty of failures along the way. I'm far from knowing everything on the subject but I'm at a place where I feel I have a firm grasp of what I'm doing. I'm get really good result and continue to improve but I've been at it for some years now. Good luck if you stick with it but expect set backs.

smokeymacpot

Veteran
If you truly & honestly feel that the picture that smokeymacpot posted was an example of a well-fed, well-grown & healthy plant and represents "dank as fuck" to you... WOW I give up, you win!!

lmfao, i told you, tell me what is wrong with it? go on..
all you have done so far is try and shit on what everyone else said with no good explanation.

jd4083

Veteran
For what it is...that's a fairly impressive plant. I'm a pot snob like many others on this forum and I don't personally know anybody who could say anything too bad about that girl from appearance alone. Curious as to what looks so terrible about it?

simon

Weedomus Maximus
Veteran
It's pretty complicated when you take into account the vast array of knowledge there is out there. Narrow down how you want to grow...what medium, nute line, strains....etc and master it. Then, when you want to switch your growing methods...figure out what way and master that. Learning about hydro, organic soil, coco and all that at the same time will spin your head. Also, filtering out "bad" information takes time. It just takes time to be a really good grower....and a little money, most of the time.

You bring up an excellent point. With the wide array of growing methodologies, how is a noob supposed to know where to begin? I see folks making their grows terribly complicated and to what end? At the risk of sounding a little self-righteous, I'm so sick of it that just yesterday I transplanted a rooted clone for the sole purpose of starting a thread to show how simple and effective growing can be.

Simon

So you're telling me that all the supposedly-elite strain names that look like bullshit were actually fake, loser phenotypes of some strain unrelated to the labeled name? Sometimes, that happens. But more often than not, it's because the grower did a bad job growing it. All the bullshit Chem's, all the bullshit OG's... all the bullshit ________ that's going around... it's all because the quality wasn't in the genetics, right? Or was it because they used a HPS lamp or some other light that didn't have enough blue? Oh, please!! :pointlaug

Want a real-world example, in the form of a well-documented thread on this site, of what increased growing skills can do to the exact same genetics (clone) over a period of time? Go see a fellow by the name of ItsGrowTime, maybe he can do a better job of explaining it to you.

Want more real-world examples how much variation there is between the exact same cutting grown by different people? Go see the Grow Diaries subforum.

i only wish to reply to your end statement with this, looks have nothing or very little to do with the actuall high, much like a good or pungent smell does. so by looking at his plant i think it will do, by hearing his smoke report that a jay kept him in la la land for 4 hours tells me my eyes did a good job judgeing it. again mate, i dont have a pot snob or overly prideful disposition becuase i grow a weed anybody can. yes u can also mess up a clone with grower error, got be a pretty big fuck up, also some plants are very finicky and diff to nail down with the proper nute structure,, that leaves about 96 percent of it easy as apple pie to grow.

for u to bring up smokeymac pots plant three times is fickle, he obviously grew a great plant for next to free, why the pot snob pride, were his fan leaves an inch two short? did he flush 2 days to long, omg!!! could u tell u only ran a 70hps n really wished he would of went with a 1000hps? doesnt matter which one of theese things he did according to u, it effected the potency nada, its the genes,let it go youve been proven wrong, verdict=pots easy as hell to grow. and yes your elite cutting are more likely then not to be fakes, but everyone already gets this. theres but a few unique strains out there, not 300.

TLoft13

Ok - but if you are setting up a small non-commercial grow to supply you and some of your family and friends with quality bud you don't need to spend $3,000. Someone who just grows for themselves needs to harvest less than 1lb per year. A setup capable producing 1 lb (or .5 Kg for the Euros) of grade A bud can easily be constructed for much less than $3,000.

Pine
Alot of the medical users have extraorbitant usage though. Multiple kilos per year.

simon

Weedomus Maximus
Veteran
Alot of the medical users have extraorbitant usage though. Multiple kilos per year.

Each of my C22 wardrobes cost less than $1500 to build - 600HPS, Vortex600, Can66, etc. Equipped as such, it can produce an easy 12-14oz (dry/cured) each run. A little planning, the right strain, 5-6 runs per year...

Simon

B

bipotato

I'm not really sure how to quantify it exactly. What I am sure of, however, is that the pictured plant doesn't represent much more than "average" at best, and isn't material worth dragging into this type of thread to brag about its good nutrition.

smokeymacpot

Veteran
I'm not really sure how to quantify it exactly. What I am sure of, however, is that the pictured plant doesn't represent much more than "average" at best, and isn't material worth dragging into this type of thread to brag about its good nutrition.

nutrition is a big part of growing,if you feed the plant correctly, it will grow as well as it possibly can under the available light. its easy to do and can be done cheaply, thats why its in this thread.

Latest posts

Latest posts