What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Is it really that complicated?

enjia2000

Right off the bat i'm going to say that I'm a total newbie at this but it just seems to me that it can't be that complicated to grow a weed. With the 10 different ways to grow (hydro, soil, drip-feeding, 100 different soil mixes, nutrients, etc...). Is it really that complicated? What I think is that it's easy to grow it, but to grow it well takes care. Am I in the ballpark?

Last edited:
It's as complicated as you make it. People grow top notch weed in dirt without measuring any ph or adding liquid nutes throughout the grow cycle. Other people measure ph in and out, ppm in and out, etc and try to "dial it in."

Indoors your first obstacle is room design and creating a suitable environment for the plants to grow. Then, you can get respectable results with almost any nutrient line that is properly applied.

Bottom line, it's as complicated as you make it.

To grow top shelf herb takes know how, a brain that functions, some common sense, some great genetics and high quality ingredients all around.

growclean

Grow Clean.... Go Fast!
Yeah, it really is pretty complicated to do it well on a somewhat larger scale, or so I have found. There is alot to think about and alot to dial in. It takes persistence and dedication. It is hard to kill and hard to grow perfectly. You are in the ballpark....

Genetics are easy with the bay and boo. In fact too easy, all it takes is a credit card! Screw your local shit, that is how we got mites the first time around. Plus everyone has the same old stuff. Growing from seed is exciting and rewarding. We started from scratch with no knowledge but what we gained from this site. It has been a long road, but this site helped even it out!

Good luck and have fun!

B. Friendly

"IBIUBU" Sayeith the Dude
Veteran
eazy to grow, complicated to get great results. dude if you hit 1 gram per watt of light you're awesome, everything else needs work. and only a 5 week veg

smokeymacpot

Veteran
it is very easy as long as you do it right. doing it right doesnt have to be expensive either, cheap compost, amend it with what you like and liquid feed every now n then and you can grow it in with perfect health.
do it wrong, over or underfeeding, over flushing, overheating, inexperience e.t.c and thats when it becomes hard.

imo if you can grow any plant, like maybe a tomato or other veg and generally know how to take care of a plant, you will have no trouble growing canabis.

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Nah, growing is simple. The only thing you have to do is cope with bad water, high and low temps, high humidity, pests of all sorts, security, odor, air circulation, power bills, nutrients, disposing of trash, hiding evidence, trimming, gene selection, nutrient selections, lighting concerns, reservoir maintenance and health, cleaning, foliar spraying, light leaks, sagging branches, re-ordering supplies, and about a hundred other things.

Piece of cake, I'm sure it doesn't cost more than $23.

;)

D

danimarie193

yes it is hard. been going about 5 years and still have alot to learn. enjia2000 you have the wrong view on it already. save your money and buy form the guy that takes it serious.

ericcalif

Right off the bat i'm going to say that I'm a total newbie at this but it just seems to me that it can't be that complicated to grow a weed. With the 10 different ways to grow (hydro, soil, drip-feeding, 100 different soil mixes, nutrients, etc...). Is it really that complicated? What I think is that it's easy to grow it, but to grow it well takes care. Am I in the ballpark?

My take (as a relative noob too) is that it's like alot of things. If 100% = the best stuff ever... getting to 90% or so is easy. It's the last 10% thats that hard part. Most anything I can think of is that way. Building a race car.. athletics.. that last 10% will cost way more time and money than than the first 90. With weed, that first 90% is much better than alot of stuff out there, so go for it.

jd4083

Veteran
it's as hard as you make it

there are members on this board growing top shelf budds from elite genetics that nobody else has...in miracle grow organic choice, some perlite, and maybe a lil tomato food :laughing: that kinda thing is what I grew up with and all my old hippie buddies that brought me up in my circle taught me that way too. A pot, some soil, water, and a seed...add some light and you're on your way to a healthy harvest. If you want to get more technical than that later on, dive right in.

enjia2000

Nah, growing is simple. The only thing you have to do is cope with bad water, high and low temps, high humidity, pests of all sorts, security, odor, air circulation, power bills, nutrients, disposing of trash, hiding evidence, trimming, gene selection, nutrient selections, lighting concerns, reservoir maintenance and health, cleaning, foliar spraying, light leaks, sagging branches, re-ordering supplies, and about a hundred other things.

;)

The more I read the more I laughed. :tiphat:

enjia2000

it's as hard as you make it

there are members on this board growing top shelf budds from elite genetics that nobody else has...in miracle grow organic choice, some perlite, and maybe a lil tomato food :laughing: that kinda thing is what I grew up with and all my old hippie buddies that brought me up in my circle taught me that way too. A pot, some soil, water, and a seed...add some light and you're on your way to a healthy harvest. If you want to get more technical than that later on, dive right in.

Yea, I'm just using some organic soil after popping them in a glass of water. Probably didn't even need to do that.

;)

:laughing: Spot on bro!!!!

TLoft13

;)

:laughing::thank you:

K

KnightRueben

Honestly, replicating the proper conditions for weed to thrive indooors is NOT easy for a first timer.

You see some people get beginner's luck, but no it's not easy to nail ventilation, lighting, stealth, soil conditions, watering, etc. on your first run.

Growing outside? Yep, it's easy :tiphat:

reckon

some people just CANNOT grow a plant, ANY PLANT, others find it "easy" to grow exotic or rare orchids and bromeliads, it all depends on you.

you have to figure out YOUR level of "involvement", and then use a grow plan that fits YOU, and YOUR particular needs.

for my indoor growing, I use a big 1000w hps, and I blend a nice rich soil mix, and then just pour pure PH adjusted water and molasses on em,.....for me that fits my lifestyle, and usage.

my buddy "super tweaker" has a full on ebb and drain table, with co2, controller, humidifier, yada yada,...he LOVES it.

bottom line: we BOTH grow what I like to call "artisinal" cannabis (although mine is 100% organic, so I think I have better flavor) :D

Batboy

Indoors your first obstacle is room design and creating a suitable environment for the plants to grow. Then, you can get respectable results with almost any nutrient line that is properly applied.

This is the most accurate statement I've seen so far, and applies to outdoors as well. Strain, medium, nutes, style. . . . . don't mean shit if the environment isn't MJ friendly. Indoors, once you find a place where you can control your temps, humidity, light and dark periods, and airflow, you will be able to grow yourself a nice plant even if your method, nutes, strain, etc. isn't top notch. Outdoors is tougher IMO because so many factors are out of your control - temp, sunlight, humidity, wind, animals. . . . I have lost 2 full crops of veggies in my raised garden bed this spring because of the environment. First it got too hot too soon and the plants were too small to withstand the heat/sun. Then it got very cold, planted again when it warmed up and got clobbered by wind storms. 2 days of wind gusts up to 55mph tore my garden to shreds.

Find your seeds/plant(s) a nice home first, then slowly work into the rest.

Latest posts

Latest posts