What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Is Critical Mass just a pheno of Big Bud?

bigbadbiddy

No, Shanti and Nevil started all this "all our rivals have lost their mothers" line, and sat back quietly while all their fanboys ran around the internet shouting about this trying to ruin rival's business and boost their own. Over 10 years ago it was really clear just how dishonest those two were and how they were trying cheap huckster tricks to boost themselves. I immediately smelt their bullshit, so watched them closely, never believing their lies or absurd self promotion. Remember Nevil saying that selecting was an "art" and that he was the "Stradivarius".

In life, if someone tells such blatant half assed lies, or has such an absurdly giddy ego, there is always a reason...

Now, the few people who actually grow MNS strains keep on reporting hermies and wild ranging phenos, lots of bunk tropical sativa plants, 14 week "white widows"... it is very clear who did actually loose their mothers, it was them.

The "everything is crossed to White Widow" story is true, for other sseedbanks, it is not and has never been MNS game, for all their sins... they don't make fems remember ??? So, they don't use a WW "male" (reversed). I have never seen that mixed up made, do you have a link where anybody is actually saying that ?

The White Widow "thing" is this... many*, Spanish Seeedbanks use a White Widow reversed male to father their fem lines because it is fast, yieldy and robust.. so "Dinafem OG" (etc) is OG x WW not OG x OG.

*Good Spanish seedbanks who certainly are NOT using WW, Cannabiogen, ACE, Delicatessan, Mandala and AFAIK, Sweet

Yes, Delicatessan and Mandala are not run by Spaniards, but they are based here, so I included them to avoid misunderstandings

#wewlad

I mean I came to respect you as a knowledgeable guy and enjoyed reading your posts on this board here or there.
But you are way off base with your irrational MRN/Shanti/Nevil hate.

Generally speaking I don't mind anyone criticizing anybody and especially in the seed biz I am aware that there are pretty much 90% black sheep.

But some of the stuff you say is so off base ...

Let's start off with the Stradivarius comment:
Nevil never said that the way you claim here. Or at least not in the posts I read.
I remember mentioning him a Stradivarius once, he was talking about how he left Sensi and that they had left over copies from most of his work. But that doesn't mean they know how to use it.
He used the following comparison to illustrate his point: "You could give me a Stradivarius but that doesn't mean I could play it".

So I call bullshit on your statement or better yet a strong bias based in hate for whatever reason and thus a morphed memory.

Next let's go to the statement that irks me the most:
"Now, the few people who actually grow MNS strains keep on reporting hermies and wild ranging phenos,..."

Come on dude ....
I did about a year of research into breeders and strains before I decided what I spend my money on.
MRN reputation is impeccable. They have fallen out of flavor of sorts as the advent of Chemdawg has taken over and OG Kush seems to be everything. But the "few" people who grow it, you will only find positive reports.
There are very few slightly negative ones but they are far and few in between and none of them are about "all hermy gear lel" and that kinda shit.
The only report on hermy issues with MRN gear I found and read carefully was Morphote's Ortega grow. And to that let me say two things:
a) Morphote at the end of his journey claimed that the Ortega line changed his view of hermy plants because even though he was ready to toss everything, he stuck with it, harvested and said that they were among the best indica bud he had experienced to that date. Hermy or not, he would grow them again.
b) during Morphotes journey, with input from Shanti and others, it was discovered that the Ortega has a tendency to herm if it isn't lollypopped/de-leafed at the lower nodes as the larger fan leaves higher up will shade the lower fan leaves too much and thus induce hermying. Easily corrected and I have not seen hermy reports on Ortega since that info came out. Also possible Shanti worked on the Ortega line in the meantime, not sure.

The wild ranging pheno thing... Come on, we really still discussing this??? I can see how amateurs are raging about this but experienced growers???
It is a conscious decision by MRN to offer larger seedpacks (15+) than others and only offer regular seed packs because they don't want to bottleneck stuff too hard and preserve the genepool somewhat. They also don't want to run the risk of locking out genetic traits that might prove desirable in the future. They have since come around and made some IBL stuff (Mango Haze IBL) and even made some fems with CBD crew.
But at the core, this is a stylistic/philosophical choice.
They choose to offer wide varieties of phenos because that's what they believe in. If you don't agree and you think that "actual breeding work means to produce a seedpack of 10 where there is only ever 1 or 2 phenos and they are always the bomb", then by all means, go with another seedbank and try your luck with that.

Let's wrap this up cuz I got other fish to fry:
"The everything crossed to white widow story is true..."

Gtfo mate .... Up to that point I was like "Ok, dude is definitely personally pissed at them for some reason, bit irrational what he is commenting... but I guess I can see where he is coming from and you could argue this or that..."
But with that comment...
#wewlad

Personal experience:
I just finished a grow in which I flowered 1 CM, 2 MKS and 2 NLxSK from MRN. I currently have 5 BW from MRN in veg.

First off: These plants are very distinctly different from each other and very much fit what they are advertised as.
My sample size might be small at this point but don't you worry, I will grow many more MRN strains.

Saying they crossed everything to white/black widow is just ridiculous amateur hour kindergarten like bashing.
Seriously what the fuck ...

And before you brand me as a fanboy:
I went with MRN because they were among the most convincing after careful research and they offered by far the best deals.
But I didn't go with MRN only, matter of fact I am going into round 2 where I pit MRN genetics against others.

So far the MRN genetics are in some ways the measuring stick, in others they are on par with other breeders but in no aspect have I seen them be blown out of the water by other breeder's genetics.

Ace and Karma gear is currently in veg and will be compared just like the Peakseeds gear and some freebie testers.

There is no huge discrepancy so far. They all have their merit and intricacies and none of them have been duds so far.

But if anything, the Critical Mass in particular have stuck out for their vigorous growth and great bud structure, yield and taste.
I am not entirely happy with the effects so far and will continue searching but it isn't bland or bad or anything, just not exactly what I would like.
The MKS should be noted as well as they are the current benchmark in my garden for smell/aroma/flavor/terps. One pheno was disgusting smelling like camphor, smelled nothing like weed actually. Just like rotting plant material or something. The effect is a solid Indica stone but nothing outrageous or noteworthy. But the smell is insane (albeit negative).
The second MKS pheno was much more skunk/sativa leaning and produced an insane altoids wintergreen/bubblegum/sweet mint or something flavor. Smells artificial, fresh, sweet, icy. And it is overwhelming in the positive sense, just like the other MKS pheno was in the negative sense. I have not tested this bud yet as it is still drying. But smell/aroma/terp wise it sets the absolute benchmark out of 30 seeds across 2 breeders so far.

One last thing:
I find it particularly amusing that someone from Spain of all countries would criticize Nevil, Shanti and MRN as a whole to that extend.

It is not an opinion but a fact that can be simply retraced that a whooooooole bunch of strains carry a lot of MRN genetics in them. Be it their NL or their Skunk or, and Spanish "breeders" should know that best of all, their Critical Mass.

I mean the entire Spanish seed industry came on the scene and became known mainly through crossing their "elite" Critical Mass clones to EVERYTHING.
Just look at the seed offerings on various websites.
Pretty much all (but a selected few, like Ace/Cbg which are the ones I went with from spain) Spanish "breeders" have several Critical Mass crosses in their catalogue!
Critical this or that, + or Bilbo or whatever.
It is nauseating.

And they gave NO CREDIT WHATSOEVER to MRN. Ever!

Nobody ever acknowledged that the whole "Spanish breeders are hacks" thing mainly stems from them growing a few MRN Critical Mass seeds, finding a great pheno (hey wonder why...) and then crossing that to all kinds of shit to improve yield most of all.
Then flooding the market with these CM crosses which are very inviting to amateurs because of the big buds and all...

I don't specifically remember reading stuff about Nevil or Shanti bashing the Spanish pollen chuckers and fem "breeders" or claiming that all strains on the market use their genetics.
But just looking at the seed market and the Spanish "breeder's" offerings, I can definitely see why they would be pissed at the Spanish seed market and lashing out at them.

No offense to you personally but your entire post, the fact that it was liked 3 times etc. looks/sounds to me like the Spanish hacks coming out of the woodworks, smelling their chance of smearing an old and iconic breeder as they have faded a bit out of the limelight. They don't frequent the boards much anymore and quietly go about their business. Not so many people grow their stuff anymore, time to get back at them for calling us out on being pollen chuckers/hacks and simply crossing their Critical Mass to everything, calling ourselves master breeders with decades of experience and breeding work and not giving any credit whatsoever to whom we got our foundation from.

/Edit
@topic and the Critical Mass
I flowered only 1 female, had 3 males.
All were stars vigor/growth wise in the veg room only equaled by the MKS sativa leaning pheno.
The female flowered for 60 days and was well done by that time.
Yield was good but not spectacular, I had bigger buds and overall yield on the MKS sativa pheno that went 70 days however and could have gone a few more.
There has been an acrid berry kind of smell developing in late flower in the background. Early flower had a few menthol smells but they went away later on.
After dry and cure the acrid berry/red fruit flavor in the background remains. Very strong in the nose when smelling the jar, low-key and in the background when smoking.
Effects I would describe as a solid Indica stone but nothing spectacular.
They have been curing for a week or two and the effect seems to get stronger and the flavor/aroma more pronounced. Will know more in a few weeks.
My pheno was covered in white pistils in early flower and after trimming has a lot of orange hairs, hard and solid nugs, medium/high resin coverage (the C99 from Peakseeds had by far the most resin of all plants in that round but after smoking wasn't as potent as the CM for example. Still waiting on the C99 to cure though and it seems very important with that strain. I already have grapefruit aromas along with something like vanilla or cookies or the sort along with sour notes developing in the jar while right after drying the plant had no discernable odor whatsoever. Curious to see what the effect will be like, haven't touched it in a week and the only test so far was a bud I tried straight after hang-drying and it was a bit weak).

To me, AfghanxSkunk#1 fits the bill.

Last edited:

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
#wewlad

I mean I came to respect you as a knowledgeable guy and enjoyed reading your posts on this board here or there.

/Edit
All were stars vigor/growth wise in the veg room only equaled by the MKS sativa leaning pheno.
Yield was good but not spectacular, I had bigger buds and overall yield on the MKS sativa pheno that went 70 days however and could have gone a few more.
There has been an acrid berry kind of smell developing in late flower in the background. Early flower had a few menthol smells but they went away later on.
After dry and cure the acrid berry/red fruit flavor in the background remains. Very strong in the nose when smelling the jar, low-key and in the background when smoking.
They have been curing for a week or two and the effect seems to get stronger and the flavor/aroma more pronounced. Will know more in a few weeks.
My pheno was covered in white pistils in early flower and after trimming has a lot of orange hairs, hard and solid nugs, medium/high resin coverage (the C99 from Peakseeds had by far the most resin of all plants in that round but after smoking wasn't as potent as the CM for example. Still waiting on the C99 to cure though and it seems very important with that strain. I already have grapefruit aromas along with something like vanilla or cookies or the sort along with sour notes developing in the jar while right after drying the plant had no discernable odor whatsoever. Curious to see what the effect will be like, haven't touched it in a week and the only test so far was a bud I tried straight after hang-drying and it was a bit weak).

G `day BBB

You grew one CMass female ?

Been plenty more Ortega herms than just Morphotes .

AF / SK aka Nordle . Been on the market 5-6 years . Where`s the keepers ?

The Bilbo clone is superior to other C Mass I have smoked .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

bigbadbiddy

I flowered one CM female. I grew 4 (killed one seedling on accident).
3 were male, looked great but couldn't flower them out this run.

How many did you grow Elmer? Do you speak from experience? However minute it may be?

Were the other Ortega herms also due to shaded lower leaves or other reasons?
I am growing it in the coming years so am interested. Read some hermy reports aside from Morphotes but every one I remember was fixed by trimming lower fan leaves.

Critical Bilbo in your opinion being superior than any other Critical Mass you personally smoked absolves the Spanish hacks from never giving credit and now smearing MNS?

Thanks for sharin

al70

Veteran
BIG BUD FEMINIZED

Big Bud cannabis has several awards at various harvest festivals and competitions designed to grow, since the moment they were first released. Now you too can discover why the weed seeds from these indica heavyweight so popular with people who want the maximum amount of bud per harvest, for a good price!The species is honored by dutchseedsbank team as one of the best cross between a skunk and Afghan. Big Bud underwent a long and careful stabilization process to ensure that the seeds of this eccentric phenotype would continue to grow consistently and overwhelmingly in the future, so everyone in the room and know-how can expect the same incredible results.

• Big yielder
• Commercial
• Very easy to grow
• ALso good for greenhouse and outdoor.
• Lemon taste tones
• Dutch succes strain
Product features
Environment:Indoor/OutdoorIndica:80 % Effect:Coma stoned!Average Height plant80 - 100 cm
2.62 - 3.28 footFlowertime:8 - 9 weeksSex:Female - FeminizedT.H.C Level:18 - 20 %
ive just received 25 fem's, not planting till new year, gonna put a journal, goodluck

redlaser

Veteran
Never understood why people grow Big bud,and if it's in critical mass it would be a good reason to avoid it.

Potency is the major drawback, then comes the lack of any desirable flavor. I wouldn't be surprised if there is ruderalis in bigbud, because that would explain the potency issues.

I actually don't mind a milder or less powerful weed at times, but it has to have some redeaming qualities such as flavor or unique effect. Bigbud comes up short in all categories for me.

bigbadbiddy

Critical Mass "redeeming qualities" for me (with my tiny experience):
- One of the most desirable growth structures and overall vigor I have seen so far
- Buds very dense and compact and easy to trim
- Nice and loud flavor/nose, background red fruit/berry a bit like wine though, a little "rotten", slightly noticeable on the exhale
- Effect is solid but not mind-breaking or exceptional, bit on the "average" side, no knock-outer or something

That is one plant, the other 3, like I said, were male.

Critical Mass is a strain I would certainly recommend, especially for new growers, and would grow it again (just might, have more than 30 beans of CM left).

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
Damn,, I havent had time for a proper reply, spent 20 minutes writing it all out and lost it...

So, sorry, in brief...

I dont hate anybody and will happily run anybody's genetics, if they are the best.

Nevile's pathetic Stradivarius statement is a sad joke and a clear insight into a deluded ego. He has no special abilities whatsoever, just a mindblowingly great impression of himself and a shameless habit of self promotion.

He had access to (the hunting lodge) a place at at time with legal freedom to breed, so crossed a few strains other people created, gave them names, then lied and denied that anybody else had ever contributed anything. So certain about this, that he claimed the Indiana Bubblegum clone was "clearly his own work" and that all Americans were liars incapable of doing such a thing.

Despite all the building blocks of his strains coming from there... (Jim) Ortega ... Maple Leaf (Wilson) ... (probably) Indian Joe's Northern Lights ... Sam's Skunk 1, Haze Bros Haze.

So, he is just a deluded egotistical liar with an arm to fill.........

Since then, Scott continued MNS and made out Nevil was a part of it, until Nevil tried selling his "Holy Grail Haze" whereupon Scott outed him as having played no active part in MNS for a decade. Likewise, he had made out that Howard was somehow bringing his expertise and contacts to the show, while all along Howard was telling all who met him that he was just a figurehead hired for his image ....

The MNS seeds have been dodgy for a while. They knowingly sold out of date poor germinating stock for years, relying on a few friends to hush it up and "take it offline, deal with Scott direct" then tried selling F2s of their own strains while getting their online friends to slag off the opposition for exactly that. Morphote is a long way from being the only person who has had hermies or bullshit landrace nonsense showing up. I cannot be bothered to lok it up, but there are people making excuses for their 15 week stringy White Widow now... Really, if you cant see it , it is because you dont want to.

From reading what you have said, you have not really grown out that much of anything. 2 or 3 seeds of anything dont really give you an idea of much.

Nobody ever called Critical Mass an elite clone, but lots of inexperienced Spanish indoor growers liked its speed and yield, now they are sick of it, it was really overdone and never that good.

Do you know what scott is doing now ? Making flaky Spanish sedbank seeds, including shit Critical Mass crosses ... despite everything he said. Still loosing disgruntled partners and has not come up with any goo dnew strain of note since when exactly ?

#wewlad

Generally speaking I don't mind anyone criticizing anybody and especially in the seed biz I am aware that there are pretty much 90% black sheep.

But some of the stuff you say is so off base ...

Let's start off with the Stradivarius comment:
Nevil never said that the way you claim here. Or at least not in the posts I read.
I remember mentioning him a Stradivarius once, he was talking about how he left Sensi and that they had left over copies from most of his work. But that doesn't mean they know how to use it.
He used the following comparison to illustrate his point: "You could give me a Stradivarius but that doesn't mean I could play it".

So I call bullshit on your statement or better yet a strong bias based in hate for whatever reason and thus a morphed memory.

Next let's go to the statement that irks me the most:
"Now, the few people who actually grow MNS strains keep on reporting hermies and wild ranging phenos,..."

Come on dude ....
I did about a year of research into breeders and strains before I decided what I spend my money on.
MRN reputation is impeccable. They have fallen out of flavor of sorts as the advent of Chemdawg has taken over and OG Kush seems to be everything. But the "few" people who grow it, you will only find positive reports.
There are very few slightly negative ones but they are far and few in between and none of them are about "all hermy gear lel" and that kinda shit.
The only report on hermy issues with MRN gear I found and read carefully was Morphote's Ortega grow. And to that let me say two things:
a) Morphote at the end of his journey claimed that the Ortega line changed his view of hermy plants because even though he was ready to toss everything, he stuck with it, harvested and said that they were among the best indica bud he had experienced to that date. Hermy or not, he would grow them again.
b) during Morphotes journey, with input from Shanti and others, it was discovered that the Ortega has a tendency to herm if it isn't lollypopped/de-leafed at the lower nodes as the larger fan leaves higher up will shade the lower fan leaves too much and thus induce hermying. Easily corrected and I have not seen hermy reports on Ortega since that info came out. Also possible Shanti worked on the Ortega line in the meantime, not sure.

The wild ranging pheno thing... Come on, we really still discussing this??? I can see how amateurs are raging about this but experienced growers???
It is a conscious decision by MRN to offer larger seedpacks (15+) than others and only offer regular seed packs because they don't want to bottleneck stuff too hard and preserve the genepool somewhat. They also don't want to run the risk of locking out genetic traits that might prove desirable in the future. They have since come around and made some IBL stuff (Mango Haze IBL) and even made some fems with CBD crew.
But at the core, this is a stylistic/philosophical choice.
They choose to offer wide varieties of phenos because that's what they believe in. If you don't agree and you think that "actual breeding work means to produce a seedpack of 10 where there is only ever 1 or 2 phenos and they are always the bomb", then by all means, go with another seedbank and try your luck with that.

Let's wrap this up cuz I got other fish to fry:
"The everything crossed to white widow story is true..."

Gtfo mate .... Up to that point I was like "Ok, dude is definitely personally pissed at them for some reason, bit irrational what he is commenting... but I guess I can see where he is coming from and you could argue this or that..."
But with that comment...
#wewlad

Personal experience:
I just finished a grow in which I flowered 1 CM, 2 MKS and 2 NLxSK from MRN. I currently have 5 BW from MRN in veg.

First off: These plants are very distinctly different from each other and very much fit what they are advertised as.
My sample size might be small at this point but don't you worry, I will grow many more MRN strains.

Saying they crossed everything to white/black widow is just ridiculous amateur hour kindergarten like bashing.
Seriously what the fuck ...

And before you brand me as a fanboy:
I went with MRN because they were among the most convincing after careful research and they offered by far the best deals.
But I didn't go with MRN only, matter of fact I am going into round 2 where I pit MRN genetics against others.

So far the MRN genetics are in some ways the measuring stick, in others they are on par with other breeders but in no aspect have I seen them be blown out of the water by other breeder's genetics.

Ace and Karma gear is currently in veg and will be compared just like the Peakseeds gear and some freebie testers.

There is no huge discrepancy so far. They all have their merit and intricacies and none of them have been duds so far.

But if anything, the Critical Mass in particular have stuck out for their vigorous growth and great bud structure, yield and taste.
I am not entirely happy with the effects so far and will continue searching but it isn't bland or bad or anything, just not exactly what I would like.
The MKS should be noted as well as they are the current benchmark in my garden for smell/aroma/flavor/terps. One pheno was disgusting smelling like camphor, smelled nothing like weed actually. Just like rotting plant material or something. The effect is a solid Indica stone but nothing outrageous or noteworthy. But the smell is insane (albeit negative).
The second MKS pheno was much more skunk/sativa leaning and produced an insane altoids wintergreen/bubblegum/sweet mint or something flavor. Smells artificial, fresh, sweet, icy. And it is overwhelming in the positive sense, just like the other MKS pheno was in the negative sense. I have not tested this bud yet as it is still drying. But smell/aroma/terp wise it sets the absolute benchmark out of 30 seeds across 2 breeders so far.

One last thing:
I find it particularly amusing that someone from Spain of all countries would criticize Nevil, Shanti and MRN as a whole to that extend.

It is not an opinion but a fact that can be simply retraced that a whooooooole bunch of strains carry a lot of MRN genetics in them. Be it their NL or their Skunk or, and Spanish "breeders" should know that best of all, their Critical Mass.

I mean the entire Spanish seed industry came on the scene and became known mainly through crossing their "elite" Critical Mass clones to EVERYTHING.
Just look at the seed offerings on various websites.
Pretty much all (but a selected few, like Ace/Cbg which are the ones I went with from spain) Spanish "breeders" have several Critical Mass crosses in their catalogue!
Critical this or that, + or Bilbo or whatever.
It is nauseating.

And they gave NO CREDIT WHATSOEVER to MRN. Ever!

Nobody ever acknowledged that the whole "Spanish breeders are hacks" thing mainly stems from them growing a few MRN Critical Mass seeds, finding a great pheno (hey wonder why...) and then crossing that to all kinds of shit to improve yield most of all.
Then flooding the market with these CM crosses which are very inviting to amateurs because of the big buds and all...

I don't specifically remember reading stuff about Nevil or Shanti bashing the Spanish pollen chuckers and fem "breeders" or claiming that all strains on the market use their genetics.
But just looking at the seed market and the Spanish "breeder's" offerings, I can definitely see why they would be pissed at the Spanish seed market and lashing out at them.

No offense to you personally but your entire post, the fact that it was liked 3 times etc. looks/sounds to me like the Spanish hacks coming out of the woodworks, smelling their chance of smearing an old and iconic breeder as they have faded a bit out of the limelight. They don't frequent the boards much anymore and quietly go about their business. Not so many people grow their stuff anymore, time to get back at them for calling us out on being pollen chuckers/hacks and simply crossing their Critical Mass to everything, calling ourselves master breeders with decades of experience and breeding work and not giving any credit whatsoever to whom we got our foundation from.

/Edit

Damn,, I havent had time for a proper reply, spent 20 minutes writing it all out and lost it...

So, sorry, in brief...

I dont hate anybody and will happily run anybody's genetics, if they are the best.

Nevile's pathetic Stradivarius statement is a sad joke and a clear insight into a deluded ego. He has no special abilities whatsoever, just a mindblowingly great impression of himself and a shameless habit of self promotion.

He had access to (the hunting lodge) a place at at time with legal freedom to breed, so crossed a few strains other people created, gave them names, then lied and denied that anybody else had ever contributed anything. So certain about this, that he claimed the Indiana Bubblegum clone was "clearly his own work" and that all Americans were liars incapable of doing such a thing.

Despite all the building blocks of his strains coming from there... (Jim) Ortega ... Maple Leaf (Wilson) ... (probably) Indian Joe's Northern Lights ... Sam's Skunk 1, Haze Bros Haze.

So, he is just a deluded egotistical liar with an arm to fill.........

Since then, Scott continued MNS and made out Nevil was a part of it, until Nevil tried selling his "Holy Grail Haze" whereupon Scott outed him as having played no active part in MNS for a decade. Likewise, he had made out that Howard was somehow bringing his expertise and contacts to the show, while all along Howard was telling all who met him that he was just a figurehead hired for his image ....

The MNS seeds have been dodgy for a while. They knowingly sold out of date poor germinating stock for years, relying on a few friends to hush it up and "take it offline, deal with Scott direct" then tried selling F2s of their own strains while getting their online friends to slag off the opposition for exactly that. Morphote is a long way from being the only person who has had hermies or bullshit landrace nonsense showing up. I cannot be bothered to lok it up, but there are people making excuses for their 15 week stringy White Widow now... Really, if you cant see it , it is because you dont want to.

From reading what you have said, you have not really grown out that much of anything. 2 or 3 seeds of anything dont really give you an idea of much.

Nobody ever called Critical Mass an elite clone, but lots of inexperienced Spanish indoor growers liked its speed and yield, now they are sick of it, it was really overdone and never that good.

Do you know what scott is doing now ? Making flaky Spanish sedbank seeds, including shit Critical Mass crosses ... despite everything he said. Still loosing disgruntled partners and has not come up with any goo dnew strain of note since when exactly ?

Very Informative, i always thought that the spaniards a proud of that strain. when i was down in east spain this year i swear i could smell alot of Critical Mass smell in the streets.

bigbadbiddy

I'm not really that infatuated with neither Nevil nor Shanti so I continue to view them in a critical light just like anybody else in the biz and have no problem with critical opinions of them, nor with people criticizing their behavior.

It is true that i have close to no experience, yet, but I am working on it.

And it is already obvious that some of your claims simply don't fit.

If everything was crossed to Black Widow, then why has nothing looked like black widow so far, except the black widow I am currently watching?

I also highly doubt the F2 claim.

But whatever, to each their own.

To me, the few seeds I grew so far (from MRN that would be about 35 seeds popped so far with 5 flowered out) were very convincing and on par with the peakseeds gear.

The current round includes some freebie testers and there I can see what a shitty seedbank looks like in World of Seeds gear.
Only have the 2 Colombian Gold from them but these 2 are as different as two plants can be. One looks a bit like the Black Widows in terms of growth and vigor while the other one is pale, completely different (much lighter) color, much shorter, completely different growth structure etc.

On the flipside, you can tell the different strains from Ace, Mr. Nice and Karma apart just by looking at them. Within those strains there is some variance, some runts etc. etc. all to be expected. But they look uniform and like they are from the same strain.

The World of Seeds freebies look nothing alike.

Aside from that, my minimal experience is only a few runs with Nirvana gear about 20 years ago, AK47 and Northern Lights.

So yeah I am a bit lacking in experience but I don't see how that disqualifies me from voicing my opinion or calling someone out on claims that I can clearly observe as being at least highly exagerated if not completely false.

bigbadbiddy

Didn’t Shanti drop a whole bunch of Critical Mass seed in Spain to stimulate the grow market?

Now that I would like to know more about.
I always assumed that the Spaniards simply purchased a few packs, found a good CM pheno and then ran with it and flooded the market with CM crossed seeds to improve yield and vigor (and ease of trim) of just about anything, then never give any credit for it and act all high and mighty like they were decade old breeders or something.

If Shanti had actually instigated that whole mess by dropping CM seeds in Spain to "stimulate the market" or whatever, that would be very interesting indeed.

Doesn't sound as plausible as my explanation to me but life writes the weirdest stories, doesn't it.

Morphote

Veteran
shantibaba said:
In the late 90s I gave plants to Soma, and he began a seed company a year later too…mixing his skunks to my males. This has occurred many times to me just look at the Spanish seed companies and 10 years ago…none existed until I went there in 1995 and gave away 3 kilos of seed to growers via Canamo magazine….but that is another story too.

Hi All

well things will need a little rearranging and remaking but we will have a few things available again soonish....

As for the old CM cut in spain, I was sent info that another Spanish company used it to make a female seed they refer to as Critical Plus. I have no qualms with people doing their own things but I find this a little to close to home. Not sure how good or what or who did it all exactly but it shows that some people piggy back on MNS genetics a little too closely at times without any real breeding programs. Reminds me of other companies from Holland too...feminizing a good female does not instantly mean you will get only good female seed, remember that!

All the best Sb

First quote is from a post in a IC thread that was deleted. Post was cut/pasted at other sites.

M.

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
Very Informative, i always thought that the spaniards a proud of that strain. when i was down in east spain this year i swear i could smell alot of Critical Mass smell in the streets.

Proud... not sure, it is popular and certainly a name the man on the street knows,

Yes, half the time I smell a spliff on the street we say "ah, si, ...puto critical"

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]bigbadbiddy ... MNS are not using a Widow[/FONT] (reversed) male like many of the "new" seedbanks AFAIK.... it is one thing they are not guilty of, sorry if I was not completely clear about that

Fuel

Never understood why people grow Big bud,and if it's in critical mass it would be a good reason to avoid it

Well from my point of view it's simple. The effect of the 90's BB is more "racy", tasty specimens are common (versus CM), and BB is not hardly sensitive to mildiew like the CM. That's enough for me to stay on a classic.

In another hand CM is an easier and faster producer (clones/weed) but it's not my concern for my crop. If it was the case and if i have to choose another 90's classic, i will get a Chronic for that.

The spanish monopole (lol) of CM cuts and crosses are more linked with the history/availability of fem seedbanks in Spain that with the plant itself. Study the begin of Dinafem and MNS, and you get why.

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
Not true. It's common knowledge at MNS that the mother of Mango Haze is NL5/Haze122:

This is why MH and SSH are called "sisters". Same Sk/Hz father, different 5Hz mothers.

M.

G `day morph

The mothers were sisters .
Who had offspring with different fathers .

NL #5 / HZ C #1 x SK Hz C = SSH

NL #5 / Hz C #122 x SK Hz A = Mango Hz .

That would make them cousins ?

The red herring is the testers he sent out to Hempy and JessE used a Skunk / hz C male . The 1/2 sister cross .

Either way Hempy`s Mango Hz was not a representation of what he sells now , as he now says SK / Hz A male .

The test grows are on CW . JessE`s log is def worth a look as a reference to his skills re propagating . PMSL .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

Genghis Kush

I'm listening to an old David Crosby album from 1975 and it has a trippy song on it called Critical Mass.

wonder if that inspired the name... besides the obvious reasons ofcourse