What's new

INTO THE WILD MOVIE

NOKUY

Veteran
good points guys.

one thing some people may not realize is that the reason he went where he did w/out a map is because he wanted to go somewhere that wasnt on the map.....well since the entire world is mapped these days the only way to get off the map is to throw the map away. That takes some guts.

Also, and I'm sure OMT knows this, is that there are ALOT of people like supertramp, and they all seem to flock to Alaska in the spring/summer....they dont all go get lost in the woods, some are simply what I call "adventurers" and others are def. trying to figure out something in their life that they dont seem to understand, and they think that Alaska will magiclly help them make sense out of their life, or will heal wounded souls.

too bad it's not always that simple.

Alaska will eat you up....spit you out.....eat you again.....then regurgitate you a few times before crapping you out....and thats just the weather.
Not just any person can come here and make it 'supertramp' stlye. And the ones that do....they have maps. If a man wants to go out and get lost in this country w/o a map....is asking for it and is just plain stupid. I dont believe he had much respect for what he was diving into. Same as treadwell...who im sure had a map btw. If he did...he would have known that food is scarce in the winter. A 22. cal? What was he thinking? 338. and a .375 cal are damn near neccesary IMO. He lucked out with finding that bus....he wouldnt have made it half the time he did w/o it.
Its funny....he wanted to get away from social 'things'....but of all things he chooses to stay in a bus out in the middle of nowhere. I would have thought he would have ran from it....and all that the bus represented.
As for the moose.....i would have taken one hind quarter and left the rest for the wolves and bears. Maybe enough for three days is all he would have needed. I can almost GUARANTEE he saw more than one moose....and in the scene with the caribou calf....shoot that leave the mom.
The winter time is when you can store food....shit...it will stay frozen 6 months atleast....just have to make a meat shack to keep pests from it. Summer time there are TONS of berries where he was at. Cranberries, blueberries, salmonberrys, wild strawberrys, and rasberries are all in the flats surrounding denali park. I dont understand why he wasnt looking for them.

I can go on and on...but bottom line....none of us where there....all hollywood could do was speculate everything but his diary.

He was bi-polar or schizophrenic by the looks of it.

If you want to come here and survive....cool....bring a simple topo map and educate yourself on the lay of the land....dont think you can just 'wing it'. Otherwise you have a deathwish or complete lack of a noodle upstairs.

Dr Dog

Sharks have a week dedicated to me
Veteran
la resistance said:
1. he was really sick and the river was flooded quite a bit, probably more so than they showed in the movie. very treacherous, he thought that since he had been there so long he would be fine to stay a bit longer.
2. no idea... i don't remember that part in the movie or any mention of it in the book. probably just bored or it was during the time when there's not much daylight, so he had no choice
3. alaska was his ultimate goal, but I think he thought mexico would be a good way to test his skills, plus he admits in the book that he loves the desert. it didn't go into detail in the movie, but in the book he canoed down the colorado river and ended up in a canal system in mexico and had a hard time getting back to the ocean.

as a side note, did anyone else get the vibe that after alaska he planned to return home? it's just too weird how he didn't head there right away and how it was going to be his greatest journey.

I did not think he was sick when he tried to cross the river

If I remember correctly, he packed up all his stuff with vigor then made his way to that, incidentally was that not 20 feet behind his bus? could he not hear the raging waters?

It was after he ate the berries, while he was freaking out on that sandbar screaming about how hungry he was, before then, which was in the middle of the raging river

I still would have not given up at that point, I probably would have dried off afetr falling in, and walked up or down the river till I found a sfer spot to cross

NOKUY

Veteran
Old Man Time said:
Alaska will eat you up....spit you out.....eat you again.....then regurgitate you a few times before crapping you out....and thats just the weather.
Not just any person can come here and make it 'supertramp' stlye. And the ones that do....they have maps. If a man wants to go out and get lost in this country w/o a map....is asking for it and is just plain stupid. I dont believe he had much respect for what he was diving into. Same as treadwell...who im sure had a map btw. If he did...he would have known that food is scarce in the winter. A 22. cal? What was he thinking? 338. and a .375 cal are damn near neccesary IMO. He lucked out with finding that bus....he wouldnt have made it half the time he did w/o it.
Its funny....he wanted to get away from social 'things'....but of all things he chooses to stay in a bus out in the middle of nowhere. I would have thought he would have ran from it....and all that the bus represented.
As for the moose.....i would have taken one hind quarter and left the rest for the wolves and bears. Maybe enough for three days is all he would have needed. I can almost GUARANTEE he saw more than one moose....and in the scene with the caribou calf....shoot that leave the mom.
The winter time is when you can store food....shit...it will stay frozen 6 months atleast....just have to make a meat shack to keep pests from it. Summer time there are TONS of berries where he was at. Cranberries, blueberries, salmonberrys, wild strawberrys, and rasberries are all in the flats surrounding denali park. I dont understand why he wasnt looking for them.

I can go on and on...but bottom line....none of us where there....all hollywood could do was speculate everything but his diary.

He was bi-polar or schizophrenic by the looks of it.

If you want to come here and survive....cool....bring a simple topo map and educate yourself on the lay of the land....dont think you can just 'wing it'. Otherwise you have a deathwish or complete lack of a noodle upstairs.

yep very well said bro!

a map would have been the #1 thing i brought.

running from society to a shelter that once "served society" ...soooo ironic.

giving all you savings to a hunger charity then to die of starvation...ironic

also my 1st thought was to kill the caribou calf and leave the mom....u been eating squirrels ...that calf if butchered and stored right would have lasted him weeks if not months.....anything bigger was obviously more than he could handle.... (the moose scene still torments me)

RudolfTheRed

Veteran
I can understand his desire to get lost in the wild without a map but in retrospect it was a terrible mistake and wasn't very smart.

NOKUY

Veteran
Dr Dog said:
I did not think he was sick when he tried to cross the river

If I remember correctly, he packed up all his stuff with vigor then made his way to that, incidentally was that not 20 feet behind his bus? could he not hear the raging waters?

It was after he ate the berries, while he was freaking out on that sandbar screaming about how hungry he was, before then, which was in the middle of the raging river

I still would have not given up at that point, I probably would have dried off afetr falling in, and walked up or down the river till I found a sfer spot to cross

he wasnt sick when he tried to cross the river, but i think he lost his gun in the river.

also the hat (knitted beanie) he left on the other side to remember where he crossed....that hat would have been kept by me ...that was a nice hat,...especially where he was goin.... why the fuk would u leave that behind.

for along time i thought he was schizzo ("space ghost"?...any help on that diagnosis bro?).(thats not a dis to SG btw...he has openly said he is diagnosed schizzo).

ALSO...why the fuck wasnt he eating fish....i mean jesus fukin christ there are fish in that river...WTF?

F

F0iL

i loved into the wild! it was an amazing and well made movie. It would of been a lot better for him if he didn't just try to jump into the wilderness and expect himself to survive off a couple of books and some advice... without any experience at all. That moose seen was just terrible and I hated how he messed up on storing it. All in all it was one of my favorite movies.

HerbGlaze

Eugene Oregon
Veteran
Good movie but he is retarded for burning that money give it to charity or go give it to some one who needs it.. god damn.

i can fully understand why he burned the money, but i wouldn't have left the hat behind either and i would have been fishing if possible rather than eating weird flowers and seeds.

Big Bud Bear

Grow your own, and you got the best bone
Veteran
loved the movie.

I ordered the book and it just came the other day, I am excited to read it

Big Bud Bear

Veteran
while we are on this topic, I just bought this book

51506ZQ9X9L._SS500_.jpg

has anyone ever read it?

Guy Grieve's life was going nowhere - trapped in a job he hated, commuting 2,000 miles a month and up to his neck in debt. But he dreamed of escaping it all to live alone in one of the wildest, most remote places on earth - Alaska. And just when he'd given up hope, the dream came true. Suddenly Guy was thrown into one of the harshest environments in the world, miles from the nearest human being and armed with only the most basic equipment. And he soon found - whether building a log cabin from scratch, hunting, ice fishing or of course dodging bears in the buff - that life in the wilderness was anything but easy...Part Ray Mears, part Bill Bryson, CALL OF THE WILD is the gripping story of how a mild-mannered commuter struggled with the elements - and himself - and eventually learned the ways of the wild.

NOKUY

Veteran
im gonna check that out...sound like an awesome read!...looks like homie is a dog fan too...thanks big bud!

G

gdawg

whats up nokuy! i just watched part of the movie last night and gonna rewatch it tonight, had some work come up. but from what i saw i thought it was great. my girl is in seward right now on vacation visiting friends that are based in anchorage. she is lovin it and i was scared for a minute she might not come back!!

NOKUY

Veteran
gdawg said:
whats up nokuy! i just watched part of the movie last night and gonna rewatch it tonight, had some work come up. but from what i saw i thought it was great. my girl is in seward right now on vacation visiting friends that are based in anchorage. she is lovin it and i was scared for a minute she might not come back!!

ahhhh man seward is soooooo fukin sweet. i lived just off of exit glacier road right necy to the seaveys...and ive been up and down mt marathon numerous times...such a nice place

G

gdawg

dang nokuy that is beautiful man!! i just got off the phone with her and they're headed back to the vfw, she said they rocked it last night but were given a hard time at first. but at the end of the night they were beggin her to come back, i cant blame em!

thcbound

The movie was good, but the kid was dumb. He had a death wish, otherwise he would've known he was within 6 miles of a highway.

Big Bud Bear

Veteran
thcbound said:
The movie was good, but the kid was dumb. He had a death wish, otherwise he would've known he was within 6 miles of a highway.

he was dumb when he decided not to bang that hot little jailbait
:spank:

PhenoMenal

Hairdresser
Veteran
Rotten Tomatoes reviewers have given it an 87% rating so it must be a pretty decent movie. I watched it, and it was ok but one thing that I cant work out is why they made a movie out of this ..... yes its a true story, but a pretty boring one at that. You can sum it up in a few sentences ... a guy goes to uni, graduates, then gives $24,000 to charity, then goes into the Alaskan wilderness to try to live off the land, eats poisonous berries, and dies ........... an interesting story but not the most enthralling movie I've ever seen :smile:

But it is a film that does tug at your heartstrings and will probably leave you with watery eyes -- after 2 hours 20 minutes you feel like you know the main character pretty well!! And the scenery in the film is superb -- if you look at the credits you'll see that they shot in something like 20+ locations, from California to Alaska.