What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Inside Out Trees, Silo Op, custom RDWC, water cooled

Ttystikk

So the crank arm on my bicycle is about 7". I'll mount the main triangle of the frame upright on the floor, with the crank arm in a vertical plane. I'll mount the counterweight AND the pulley for the mover system on a swiveling pin, or just use the pedal. This gives 14" of direct travel, the diameter of the crank circle.

Since I want three times that much travel, here's how we do dat; with one end of the line tied to the pedal, it travels up to a pulley mounted to the ceiling directly above, goes back down and through a pulley attached to the same pedal, BACK up and then through another pulley to be distributed to all the silos in the room. That's a three for one multiplication of distance- and pulling force, so merely make the counterweight three times as massive to balance. Thus, a 7" radius is effectively transformed into 42" of vertical bulb movement. Voila- one machine moves every light in the room with just a pulley mounted above it, a much simpler and more cost effective solution than one light mover per silo. More reliable, too. Since the motor I plan to use is AC and runs off house 120V, I'll plug it into the same timed outlet that controls the HID lighting relay.

N

noyd666

tt just found you talking about cooling on thc f.2011= water cooled grow. read a few pages.

Ttystikk

Attachments

• 1367007021716.jpg
    1367007021716.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 14
  • 1367006541413.jpg
    1367006541413.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 1367006949910.jpg
    1367006949910.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 14

Mister_D

Veteran
So the crank arm on my bicycle is about 7". I'll mount the main triangle of the frame upright on the floor, with the crank arm in a vertical plane. I'll mount the counterweight AND the pulley for the mover system on a swiveling pin, or just use the pedal. This gives 14" of direct travel, the diameter of the crank circle.

Since I want three times that much travel, here's how we do dat; with one end of the line tied to the pedal, it travels up to a pulley mounted to the ceiling directly above, goes back down and through a pulley attached to the same pedal, BACK up and then through another pulley to be distributed to all the silos in the room. That's a three for one multiplication of distance- and pulling force, so merely make the counterweight three times as massive to balance. Thus, a 7" radius is effectively transformed into 42" of vertical bulb movement. Voila- one machine moves every light in the room with just a pulley mounted above it, a much simpler and more cost effective solution than one light mover per silo. More reliable, too. Since the motor I plan to use is AC and runs off house 120V, I'll plug it into the same timed outlet that controls the HID lighting relay.

Very cool. Make sure you snap some pictures once it's together.

Yup yup, been doing it awhile now, I must say I'm a big fan. I'm debating the same topic here, too;

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=279397

Curious on average how much your pumps and chiller setup costs you in electric every month? PM me if you'd prefer. I did DTW water cooling using a truck radiator to transfer heat. Worked really well, but turned out just slightly cheaper than using a/c in a sealed room. I have some ideas to improve it's cost efficiency now that it's a proven concept in my room. Wondering if I should start looking into a chiller/pump setup also.

Ttystikk

Mister D, when I ran 16kW in bloom (sealed n vented and half on each side of a flip) and another 2kW in veg, my total light bill stayed around $1200 a month.

Now I'm converting to vertical trees and so I'm down to just 12 bare bulbs, I'm interested to see what the impact is on my bill.

Ttystikk

I did drain to waste cooling through my pre-existing system for two weeks last summer when the =&$@! HVAC tech BROKE MY CHILLER! To make a long story short, I paid like sixty bux for the water, but in these arid parts I could not escape feeling wasteful.

Now I have two 2 Ton ChillKing window mount units. One is inside all winter, and it runs when my house needs heat. The outside unit runs when I don't, lol. In summer and with an op full of bare bulbs the inside chiller moves outside and both will be needed full time.

Ttystikk

Just found a guy with a welder who can build my bicycle based light mover, he's gonna come by and pick up the parts and specs Tuesday and have it built and back to me possibly as quickly as next weekend! Now, I need to find good pulleys and wire or cable for transferring the movement with a minimum of friction. If it goes together to plan, there should be very little drag on the system and the counterweight should balance the pull of the lights exactly, so only a small motor will be needed.

coldcanna

Veteran
Stikk you got a real badass thread going here, hats off to you...

As far as training to the screen, you plants are inside the silo and you weave the branches through the mesh? Am I seeing that right or is somethin else goin on

Ttystikk

Stikk you got a real badass thread going here, hats off to you...

As far as training to the screen, you plants are inside the silo and you weave the branches through the mesh? Am I seeing that right or is somethin else goin on

I grow the plants in a separate veg area, then put them on the trellis once they've gotten big enough. The spot for the plant is directly under the trellis, so I stick the netpot in it and that plasters the plant up against the mesh- on the outside.

I use a few vine clips to hold it in place and generally give it a couple days to adjust. Then, I vine clip the lateral branches along the outside of the mesh horizontally, and the mainstem vertically. This is done by standing up and working the plant while it's standing directly in front of you; no bending, no reaching, no backache from working across a wide, flat ScrOG.

After another few days I come back and poke the growing tips along the branches through the mesh so they get unobstructed access to the light. Done well (takes practice!), this creates a veritable forest of bud fingers sticking out from the wall of the silo.

Add a light mover to this and look out! That's the next upgrade.

COconnect

Still reading. Had to take a sec to LOL. :biggrin:
[Quote/]I'm starting a sub thread; Colorado problems. What's a Colorado problem? You'll see...

High temperature the other day at my house was only 57F. In January.

More people want to trim your trim than buy your bud.

"What do you mean, I have a twelve plant limit? Bro, I got more strains than that!"

If everyone brought a joint to smoke, how do we know whose got us which high?

New Belgium... O'Dells... maybe a growler from any of at least 15 brewpubs and taprooms in town... decisions, decisions...

Does indica go better with dark beer or light beer? I can totally never keep that straight!

Hey, will CNN andTHE NEW YORK TIMES quit telling the world about the ski in smoke spot that ME and MY FRIENDS built back in the day... and now there's a fuckin' LINE? Dood![/QUOTE]

COconnect

Awesome setup man! The strain intrigues me quite a bit. I'm beginning quite the gene whore, ha. I'm all about the innovation man, props to ya

Ttystikk

Thanks for the kind words!

Thanks for the kind words!

Awesome setup man! The strain intrigues me quite a bit. I'm beginning quite the gene whore, ha. I'm all about the innovation man, props to ya

Haha, glad you like my twisted sense of humor. 'But what do you mean I'm over my plant count limit? Officer, I got more strains than that!' Truth is I'm all about seeing how different girls react to my setup. I'm trying to prove versatility.

good read so far !more pics of your set up would be great!

Thanks for checking in- Which part of the setup would you like to see? I'll also put up a few when the run is done here in a few weeks.

Ttystikk

On another thread, some people talked to me about creating my own network and programming devices to run on it that would control my friend environment. While I admire that kind of industry, I'll be honest and say that I'm happy to outsource the development of some things.

Hence, my decision to purchase Growtronix. This is a multiple space, compete end to end solution that handles the grow room and much more. It's a lot more expensive than the build my own network solution, but I already have a job to do, I don't need another, lol

Ttystikk

So, it seems that a little discussion with some fellow ICMagers has convinced me to wait on my purchase of Growtronix, in lieu of exploring some true industrial control options. These are even more flexible and can control nearly any piece of equipment, sensor or process, will beyond whatever might be encountered in a growroom!

Link to Grow Automaton and Industrial Controls thread:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?p=6207660#post6207660

mr. gt

tagged.. looking good man. I don't have to time to read through but I was really inspired by this girl on utube who does the same style. Like I said I haven't read through but, I can imagine the veg time needed unless you have a huge clone ready to go once you clip this one.

heres the vid if interested:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1EL9MjRJJM

She has a real impressive video of the whole closet about to be harvested. She helped me realize how that somewhat small closet could have huuuge potential if you use the walls. I dont have time to find it right now. If it was me i would build a shelf on the door with soil or something so I could maximize!! :p

~mr .gt

Ttystikk

Attachments

• 1367006850780.jpg
    1367006850780.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 1367006949910.jpg
    1367006949910.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 1367006541413.jpg
    1367006541413.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 1367006634562.jpg
    1367006634562.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 12

Ttystikk

tagged.. looking good man. I don't have to time to read through but I was really inspired by this girl on utube who does the same style. Like I said I haven't read through but, I can imagine the veg time needed unless you have a huge clone ready to go once you clip this one.

heres the vid if interested:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1EL9MjRJJM

She has a real impressive video of the whole closet about to be harvested. She helped me realize how that somewhat small closet could have huuuge potential if you use the walls. I dont have time to find it right now. If it was me i would build a shelf on the door with soil or something so I could maximize!! :p

~mr .gt

Well shit. Here I thought I was the innovative one, and she(?) beat me to it! I'm getting the hang of things though, so I'm climbing that learning curve quickly.

Yeah, that closet is pretty tight, imagine if that cage was in the middle of the room, so you could actually get to the thing? And it could get good ventilation? Well- that's what I did. Oh, and used big tub RDWC.

Ttystikk

So I'm working on the next iteration of this. Instead of two trellis panels- size is always the same, modular style, at 4' x 6.25'- this time there will be four, arranged vertically, height of 6'3". Diameter works out to 5'1", so the plants will start 30"from the bulb. Four 25 ft² panels makes 100 ft², so I'm going to hang two thouies in there, one over the other along the centerline of the silo. I'm hoping it won't get too hot in there but even so, I'm working on a light mover.