What's new

Inside Out Trees, Silo Op, custom RDWC, water cooled

Ttystikk

First run was larfy, due to a lack of a clue about proper training. I'm doing a few different things now in an effort to improve the bud size and structure. Early efforts at cleaning things up, removing extraneous branches and thinning excess density are all paying off, the system is pretty forgiving. It's also easy to reach; the whole plant is standing in front of you, so it's simple to reach and quickly work large areas of canopy.

Marlo

Seedsweeper
ICMag Donor
Veteran
managing the larf vs over veg'n is always the trickiest part of growing vert. You will find the happy zone tho, I'm sure

Ttystikk

managing the larf vs over veg'n is always the trickiest part of growing vert. You will find the happy zone tho, I'm sure

Without question, doing this well is a gigantic time saver, as well as improving the quality and quantity of yield. Some plants that seemed too small really did amazingly well since they didn't get the chance to create larfy zones.

Ttystikk

So tystikk what's your call with d.o. not useing air pumps? Is the waterfall in each module enough?

Even in the RDWC that kept creeping up to 72f during the daytime, the dissolved oxygen levels resulting from the waterfalls was completely adequate in every way. It even creates a nice splash that aerates, wets and humidifies above the waterline in every tub.

Ttystikk

I'm waiting for my 2 Ton ChillKing window mount chiller to get behind while cooling 8kW of bloom rooms in the heat of the day in June. That's in addition to another 4kW at night. Hasn't happened yet, but the afternoon is still young.

Ttystikk

You know things have become routine when you run out of things to say about them.

The news du jour is I'm ordering a Philips 860W CDM lamp, to see how it works in my setup. I like the spectrum, I want to see for myself how the plants respond to it. The 15% per savings doesn't hurt my feelings- as long as I'm not giving up yield. That will be the real test!

LSWM

You know things have become routine when you run out of things to say about them.

The news du jour is I'm ordering a Philips 860W CDM lamp, to see how it works in my setup. I like the spectrum, I want to see for myself how the plants respond to it. The 15% per savings doesn't hurt my feelings- as long as I'm not giving up yield. That will be the real test!

I looked into it, but the $120 price tag for bulb alone steered me away. With the $25 UltraSun HPS from China I can chuck them across the room and have 4 more to replace it with for the same price.

420ish

last crop i had 1 600 hps over a 600 metal halide.the bottom half of the plants did not yield as well as the top half.it was much leafier also.this run in the same box is blowing up with 2 hps in.hope the cmh does better for you!

Ttystikk

last crop i had 1 600 hps over a 600 metal halide.the bottom half of the plants did not yield as well as the top half.it was much leafier also.this run in the same box is blowing up with 2 hps in.hope the cmh does better for you!

While these CDM 860W lamps do have a significant green spike in their spectrum graph, the plant active bands in red and blue show up a lot more than with HPS- and according to those in the know, more than MH too. I'm really hoping that makes up for the reduction in wattage.

Keep in mind that I'm vegging under HPS, specifically to encourage stretch while they're growing onto the trellis- at least virtually. As quirky as it seems, once the plant is big enough to be on the trellis, I'm okay with it stretching a bit less and filling in more. Like what a CDM offers...?

2 Legal Co

Veteran
While these CDM 860W lamps do have a significant green spike in their spectrum graph, the plant active bands in red and blue show up a lot more than with HPS- and according to those in the know, more than MH too. I'm really hoping that makes up for the reduction in wattage.

Keep in mind that I'm vegging under HPS, specifically to encourage stretch while they're growing onto the trellis- at least virtually. As quirky as it seems, once the plant is big enough to be on the trellis, I'm okay with it stretching a bit less and filling in more. Like what a CDM offers...?
I'm looking forward to hearing your results with the lighting changes.

Isn't experimentation fun?

Ttystikk

I just installed mine- 1/3 of the whole shipment of a dozen bulbs was bad; either the quartz inner sleeve was broken or the bulb shattered on initial startup.

I'm hoping he's as good as his eBay rating says he is. Shit happens, I'm not pissed, in fact I like the light from those that are running now enough that I want more bulbs!

I have head to head Super Silos with different bulbs going in two different bloom rooms, so we WILL get the answer as to whether this is a real step up from HPS or not.

LSWM

I just installed mine- 1/3 of the whole shipment of a dozen bulbs was bad; either the quartz inner sleeve was broken or the bulb shattered on initial startup.

I'm hoping he's as good as his eBay rating says he is. Shit happens, I'm not pissed, in fact I like the light from those that are running now enough that I want more bulbs!

I have head to head Super Silos with different bulbs going in two different bloom rooms, so we WILL get the answer as to whether this is a real step up from HPS or not.

Guess we know why they were so cheap! Lol... Keep me updated on the return/replacement. If it works out I may drop a bill on a case as well.