What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Inside Out Trees, Silo Op, custom RDWC, water cooled

2 Legal Co

Veteran
So the comprehensive veg zone rebuild plan looks like this;

0. Clones, either in rapid rooters or aerocloner.

1. Rooters get potted into 4" square pots, in a 1'x3' ebb n flood table under 2 bulb by 4' t8 shoplight, maybe add another shoplight.

2. Youngsters potted up to 8" netpot bucket lid and placed in a 3'x3' ebb n flood table. I need to build a lid for them to rest in so the bottoms of the netpots aren't sitting on the table-which of course inhibits the roots I'm trying to grow! Lighting will be some combination of t5 and/or a 130W LED. Or maybe 400W HPS.

3. RDWC built from 4 gallon square buckets to fit in tight spaces, plants will be in a space of as yet unspecified size. I'm considering using one HPS thouie, but I need to have even lighting. These will be encouraged to keep growing tall, NO TOPPING.

4. Instead of a final prebloom stage, just put them into the silo two weeks early; gives them a chance to grow in and fill it up before flip.

Thoughts?

I'm thinking you probably have as much or more experience as I do. Only thing I see; 8" net pots are more than I like, in DWC, as the roots leave the pots in a hurry. Most live in the air and water. Of course I used lava rock in the pots... don't know what you are planning.
Just my $.01.

Are the net pot bucket lids square? Only ones I've noticed were round?

All in all, I'd say you'd be successful per your plan. +++:good:

on edit;;; As a matter fact I'm considering using 2" net pots with synthetic cooler pad as 'substrate', so I just pitch the trunk, pot, and roots...... for less clean up. Mine are supported by the branches anyway...... If you couldn't tell, I'm old enough to be lazy. lol

Ttystikk

I'm thinking you probably have as much or more experience as I do. Only thing I see; 8" net pots are more than I like, in DWC, as the roots leave the pots in a hurry. Most live in the air and water. Of course I used lava rock in the pots... don't know what you are planning.
Just my $.01.

Are the net pot bucket lids square? Only ones I've noticed were round?

All in all, I'd say you'd be successful per your plan. +++:good:

on edit;;; As a matter fact I'm considering using 2" net pots with synthetic cooler pad as 'substrate', so I just pitch the trunk, pot, and roots...... for less clean up. Mine are supported by the branches anyway...... If you couldn't tell, I'm old enough to be lazy. lol

My 8" netpot bucket lids are round, sized to fit on a give gallon bucket. That's why I use the spacer section from a 5 gallon bucket in my tubsite, to give the netpot something positive to attach to and seal out light.

I'm considering a move in the opposite direction, believe it or not. I'm thinking about using a Heath Robinson trick; instead of a waterfall into the tubsite, have it run through the netpot and over the clay pellet substrate. I see no reason why this wouldn't work, and the upside is that all the roots still inside the netpot will be useful again.

I hate the idea of tossing stuff, so everything in my op is reusable, from substrate to vine clips.

Last edited:

Ttystikk

Another pic. Another laughable failure at capturing the size of the Super Silo, this time because of the bulb in the foreground!

Attachments

• 20140429_234922.jpg
    20140429_234922.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 12

2 Legal Co

Veteran
TTy
I don't toss much myself, but the root mass involved in the 6" netty's was a pain. So I'm thinking about not having much of anything involved with the roots this time. Thinking 1/2 hour on and 1 hour off on the pump running water onto the roots, with most of the roots in the water all the time.

Kind of a variation on the old 'bubble bucket'/DWC idea.

I figure to throw away the small piece of swamp cooler pad, that wraps/protects the main stem. One cut roots to the compost, and top to the rack.

Ttystikk

The ladies are still Stackin' the goodness, I swear I've seen a change in just the last twelve hours!

Added a shitload of water last night to get EC down, and had to do it again this morning- they're still averaging some 4 gallons of water a day... each.

2 Legal Co

Veteran
The ladies are still Stackin' the goodness, I swear I've seen a change in just the last twelve hours!

Added a shitload of water last night to get EC down, and had to do it again this morning- they're still averaging some 4 gallons of water a day... each.

4 gallons each? Man that is a bunch.

Good thing you're not in the desert eh!

Ttystikk

TTy
I don't toss much myself, but the root mass involved in the 6" netty's was a pain. So I'm thinking about not having much of anything involved with the roots this time. Thinking 1/2 hour on and 1 hour off on the pump running water onto the roots, with most of the roots in the water all the time.

Kind of a variation on the old 'bubble bucket'/DWC idea.

I figure to throw away the small piece of swamp cooler pad, that wraps/protects the main stem. One cut roots to the compost, and top to the rack.

The more I think about what you're doing, the more I don't like it. It's too simple, too easy, there aren't enough steps and it isn't any work. I mean, wtf?

Ttystikk

4 gallons each? Man that is a bunch.

Goo thing you're not in the desert eh!

Welllllll now that ya mention it, this IS an arid western state... a feller sure don't want to be caught without his Camelbak whilst out on a long mountain bike ride... EPIC cottonmouth, just epic...

2 Legal Co

Veteran
:laughing::laughing::biggrin::tiphat:

On the Ark. adding a window to my tin shed/'bloom 3 for free', room.

Well a few $s for nutrients.

Options are AK47
Jilly Beans
White Russian
Oregon Grape

Back still hurts,,,, but I don't care. Courtesy of AK47 in the bubbler, and an AK47 cookie.

Ttystikk

:laughing::laughing::biggrin::tiphat:

On the Ark. adding a window to my tin shed/'bloom 3 for free', room.

Well a few $s for nutrients.

Options are AK47
Jilly Beans
White Russian
Oregon Grape

Back still hurts,,,, but I don't care. Courtesy of AK47 in the bubbler, and an AK47 cookie.

I'm running those first two, my Jilly looks seriously frosty right now. You should tell me more about your shed.

2 Legal Co

Veteran
It's just an old 4.5' X 6' tin shed. I replaced the roof with 2x4 framing (hinged in the middle so the 'eaves' lift up for ventilation.

Crude but effective sorta... gets a bit too hot in the summer at this altitude, but I dealt with it last summer. Ended up with one Jilly Bean female, all the rest were males. Kept a mother off her, so now I have clones.

Didn't think it got enough of a Photoperiod, so I'm adding a new light source on the southeast wall. It'll get the morning sun as soon as it breaks over the ridge. I used smoked polycarbonate for the roof last year.

So this year i'm replacing 2/3 of the south half of the roof with clear polycarbonate, leaving the other 1/3 smoked.

It looks like it'll be a winner again.... well sorta was a winner last year...... Jilly B. was about 5' tall, but only produced about 4oz of bud. It did smoke good, and made good cookies too.

The tin shed project is marked Experimental, and it's just dam difficult to not use SOME of the free lumens. Think I've settled on Ak, Jilly, and W Russian for this summer.

Ttystikk

It's just an old 4.5' X 6' tin shed. I replaced the roof with 2x4 framing (hinged in the middle so the 'eaves' lift up for ventilation.

Crude but effective sorta... gets a bit too hot in the summer at this altitude, but I dealt with it last summer. Ended up with one Jilly Bean female, all the rest were males. Kept a mother off her, so now I have clones.

Didn't think it got enough of a Photoperiod, so I'm adding a new light source on the southeast wall. It'll get the morning sun as soon as it breaks over the ridge. I used smoked polycarbonate for the roof last year.

So this year i'm replacing 2/3 of the south half of the roof with clear polycarbonate, leaving the other 1/3 smoked.

It looks like it'll be a winner again.... well sorta was a winner last year...... Jilly B. was about 5' tall, but only produced about 4oz of bud. It did smoke good, and made good cookies too.

The tin shed project is marked Experimental, and it's just dam difficult to not use SOME of the free lumens. Think I've settled on Ak, Jilly, and W Russian for this summer.

I totally think you're onto something good playing with outdoor gear. The shed might be hot but it will be good practice. You'll have to post a link here to the thread you start about it, hint hint lol

Ttystikk

So I spent some serious time getting shit caught up today, felt good. In other news, it looks like the Super Silo is getting ready for landing in a week or two. The EC is coming down, pH is drifting up and I'm keeping the room drier. Should be close.

2 Legal Co

Veteran
Been too high,,, er uh,.... busy to even think of opening my own thread. Got a few pics of my first grow a year ago in my profile album, but that's about it.

Tightening up leaks in the hose connections, (wrong clamps), imagine that.

Enjoy the harvest Now the work begins, eh?

Ttystikk

Been too high,,, er uh,.... busy to even think of opening my own thread. Got a few pics of my first grow a year ago in my profile album, but that's about it.

Tightening up leaks in the hose connections, (wrong clamps), imagine that.

Enjoy the harvest Now the work begins, eh?

We do work like this every couple of weeks around here...

Ttystikk

Keep on stacking, stacking, stacking...
Just keep stacking, stacking, stacking...

I'm waiting for 'bud drop', when some of the buds get so big and heavy they can't hold themselves up anymore. Since they generally grow at about a 45 degree angle, first they sag until they're straight out, then slowly, inexorably, they sag down until they're at a downward 45 degrees. The ones that do this are usually about an ounce's worth of dried bud each, so it's pretty impressive, at least to me!

tjo

life gardener
Veteran
i use tap... prob have to ph if using ro water, i guess

i remember heath telling me that he doesnt adjust ph

i dont change my res in hydro either

plants are healthy and dank

i use RO water and i dont know where my ph meter is about 2 years..just add 1/10 tap water and the problem with ph is gone..
also i dont need cal mag with the tap water..:tiphat:

Ttystikk

i use RO water and i dont know where my ph meter is about 2 years..just add 1/10 tap water and the problem with ph is gone..
also i dont need cal mag with the tap water..:tiphat:

Water quality of course varies widely depending on where you live. The tapwater here is better than a lot of growers see from their RO filter, so there is no point in using one here.

Rather than use cal-mag, I updated my entire nutrient regimen; now I use dry nutrient salts and everything's in there, calcium and magnesium included. Now I add epsom salt for sulfur and MKP during stack. PERIOD.

2 Legal Co

Veteran
lol

I just told a friend that the Ark was 'blown out'.... after a bit of contemplation, I guess the term is relative, as you can still see the bottom if it's less than 2' deep.

Of course the Colorado is yet another story........

Here our well water comes out at PH 6.5-6.6, and is drinkable. It's a tough life but somebody has to put up with it. :^)

Latest posts

Latest posts