What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Info on The Real Seed Company?

ngakpa

Veteran
Please help us understand how 50 years became the timeframe for heirloom to be named. And how would it be defined, by whose authority?

it isn't

that's just an arbitrary figure

there's no academy etc. that has set some 50-year rule

I make it clear how I'm using the term at the main site:

Heirloom: This category is for ‘landraces’ that have undergone several generations of selection in the West. Typically, this results in higher THC levels than would be normal for true landraces, which are maintained by traditional methods of cultivation. For example, an heirloom such as ‘Deep Chunk’, which was inbred by Tom Hill for four decades, has markedly lower CBD and much higher THC than the actual hashish landraces employed in Afghanistan. To the best of our knowledge, none of the heirloom cultivars offered here have been outcrossed.

the situation with Cannabis is entirely different from with vegetables etc., so it's comparing chalk and cheese

I needed a category for that would distinguish real landraces from lines like X18 etc.

at Kwik Seeds I also throw in some IBL hybrids like White Widow, Cindy 99 etc.

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
Cindy'99 is still available at seedsman for £120 in regular seeds.

Viking from Positronics you can call a heirloom, the same for Friesland or Original Haze.Hardly available through commercial sites.Neville's Haze is even older than Cindy'99, although easier to get at commercial sites.

The term heirloom means for many generations and a generation is at least 30 years.

ngakpa

Veteran
"The term heirloom means for many generations and a generation is at least 30 years."

On that basis, the 50 year definition doesn't work either

BlackBart

Veteran
I might have to try it. Erdpurt on its own is not that potent in my experience but it is a tough tough plant that grows a very dense bud and is very mold resistant as is the Friesland . Sounds like the two together would be a win win situation .

star crash

We Will Get By ... We Will Survive
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Here is an update on the Friesland ...These have been identified as females ...I am very pleased...I am in the north east central New York state the goal for me is to find the quick finisher and then to preserve that clone for many seasons to come...That’s one of my workers in the background
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

troutman

Seed Whore
Friesland Indica will be ripe on time for you I promise. :tiphat:

Another thing, it won't go extinct anytime soon and seeds will be around for a long time. ;)

therevverend

Veteran
Anyone seen Freisland Orange? Haven't read the entire thread so I don't know if it's already been mentioned. Very fine stuff. It was grown in the Seattle area for at least 30 years. I've seen quite a bit of it grown indoors. It's a finisher outdoors, haven't grown it myself but a lot of people like it. One of the best Orange strains I've seen. Dense evergreen with orange hairs, a lot of triangular type nuggets. Winter people always had it, mountain people, skiers and climbers. Ironic considering the name. A lot of good memories and fun times. With all the strain reshuffling I hope it's still around.

Does anyone know the relationship between the different strains? There's also New Freisland Orange, NFO. The stuff was always one or two people outside of my circle, never got introduced or we met but never realized who was the man. Don't know if Freisland Orange is the same as NFO or if the FO is a parent. Is Freisland Orange an offspring or a select cut of Freisland? It could go Freisland-Freisland Orange-New Freezeland Orange. May have to ask next time I get together with old friends. Probably threads about it, I'll check there first.

BlackBart

Veteran
Here is 2 pics of one of my Friesland plants 1st pic was taken 6-5-2020 second was taken 15 days later

Attachments

• Friesland Indica.jpg
    Friesland Indica.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 22

star crash

We Will Get By ... We Will Survive
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Anyone seen Freisland Orange? Haven't read the entire thread so I don't know if it's already been mentioned. Very fine stuff. It was grown in the Seattle area for at least 30 years. I've seen quite a bit of it grown indoors. It's a finisher outdoors, haven't grown it myself but a lot of people like it. One of the best Orange strains I've seen. Dense evergreen with orange hairs, a lot of triangular type nuggets. Winter people always had it, mountain people, skiers and climbers. Ironic considering the name. A lot of good memories and fun times. With all the strain reshuffling I hope it's still around.

Does anyone know the relationship between the different strains? There's also New Freisland Orange, NFO. The stuff was always one or two people outside of my circle, never got introduced or we met but never realized who was the man. Don't know if Freisland Orange is the same as NFO or if the FO is a parent. Is Freisland Orange an offspring or a select cut of Freisland? It could go Freisland-Freisland Orange-New Freezeland Orange. May have to ask next time I get together with old friends. Probably threads about it, I'll check there first.
I am new to the Friesland:chin:I am new to the Friesland
Here is 2 pics of one of my Friesland plants 1st pic was taken 6-5-2020 second was taken 15 days later

Looks good

therevverend

Veteran
Did some googling and answered most of my questions. Found a website that describes what they call New Freezeland Orange. The picture looks authentic.

https://herb.co/strains/new-freezel...nd Orange is a,and Afghani and Skunk heritage.

It seems to be (Freisland x Pluton) X Orange Crush. I got a cut of Orange Crush from a dispensary a few years back. It was disappointing, very average. Orange strains used to be fantastic, I think they've been degraded or lost over the years. I guess there's the new tangerine stuff but it's not the same as the old Humboldt Orange.

It looks like a few dispensaries have NFO so not all is lost. I generally boycott them but it might be fun to pick up a couple grams and see if it's the real deal.