What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Indoor vs. Outdoor

bigsur51

On a mailtrain.
Premium user
Veteran
420club
I took some outdoor grown P-98 Bubba Kush to one of our Cabana meet ups and many could not believe that it was grown outdoors

there is a time and place for growing indoor weed but the best results will always be outdoor , a true expression of the totality of the plant…

IMG_8437.jpeg

CharlesU Farley

I took some outdoor grown P-98 Bubba Kush to one of our Cabana meet ups and many could not believe that it was grown outdoors

there is a time and place for growing indoor weed but the best results will always be outdoor , a true expression of the totality of the plant…

early View attachment 18975216
The second paragraph above is irrefutable... as long as you don't have foggy/misty 80% RH and 50° weather for the last 3 weeks of harvest. ;)
Only happened to me once, back in the early '80s, when I could still do it outside, pre vindictive ex-wife.

Exceedingly few things in life I'm jealous or envious of... being able to grow legally and naturally, outdoors is definitely one of them. But for those of us still in Prohibition states, the threat of feds seizing and selling your house/real estate, taking your kids away from you, etc. forces us to make sacrifices.

That's why I stay in the closet and basement. :cool:

Last edited:

bigsur51

On a mailtrain.
Premium user
Veteran
420club
The second paragraph above is irrefutable... as long as you don't have foggy/misty 80% RH and 50° weather for the last 3 weeks of harvest. ;)
Only happened to me once, back in the early '80s, when I could still do it outside, pre vindictive ex-wife.

Exceedingly few things in life I'm jealous or envious of... being able to grow legally and naturally, outdoors is definitely one of them. But for those of us still in Prohibition states, the threat of feds seizing and selling your house/real estate, taking your kids away from you, etc.

spot on the weather comment , it is just about ideal here high plains prairies of eastern Colorado , very low humidity’s and at 4500‘ elevation , we get some higher Uv rays than the lowlands….

those swamp boys in Florida and those moss backs up in Washington have a high challenge with those insane humidity readings..

Hiddenjems

Exceedingly few things in life I'm jealous or envious of... being able to grow legally and naturally, outdoors is definitely one of them. But for those of us still in Prohibition states, the threat of feds seizing and selling your house/real estate, taking your kids away from you, etc. forces us to make sacrifices.

That’s the issue where I live. It wants to be 50-60* and raining the last couple weeks of flower.

CharlesU Farley

;) That’s the issue where I live. It wants to be 50-60* and raining the last couple weeks of flower.
These are the only measurements I ever take in developing cannabis:

1000010931.jpg

The temp and humidity at the top are in the room here upstairs. The bottom measurements are inlet temp/humidity at first tent, inlet measurements at second tent, and temp/humidity exiting all tents. They're in flowering, so the lights are off for another hour or so. At least it's not raining inside the tent. ;)

These measurements are the only ones at take.

As you can see, temp and humidity aren't always ideal indoors either, but SouthEast Lights has been developed under these types of conditions for a very, very long time.

Not saying it's better than outdoor of course! :ROFLMAO:

The first time I can find an individual who can tell the difference between indoor and outdoor, from a double-blind A/B test developed by my wife Harley Farley, I'll put on my website that they are the Robert Parker (most well-known wine expert) of cannabis and I will bow down to them and say, I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy!!!

Rastafarout

Premium user
If we want to be purists about it we have to Chuck in terroir aswell …
Sometimes I don’t have outdoor space available, so still do them inside , better than nothing right ? And you can speed up results easily and learn a few new things

The other curve ball is bong or joint ?
I have weed i call bong weed cos it just doesn’t hit well in a joint , and vice versa

Brother Nature

Sometimes I don’t have outdoor space available, so still do them inside , better than nothing right ? And you can speed up results easily and learn a few new things

I have weed i call bong weed cos it just doesn’t hit well in a joint , and vice versa
That's a good point, I definitely have some strains that work much better broken up and used in a vape or joint.

I hadn't really thought about outdoor location, as I am lucky enough to live in a pretty temperate area rife with micro climates very beneficial to cannabis.

I think the other thing is a lot of non-growers will place a plant outside, give it very little attention or love, harvest early, or too late, then be disappointed with the results. We also tend to associate outdoor crops with the more commercial minded criminal element here, as it is still illegal down here, or the most part.

I've been battling caterpillars this year, but otherwise the girls I put out have gotten much bigger than I anticipated ad are looking pretty happy...

full
full
full
full
full

Brother Nature

Yeah they're the green ones and there's a couple black ones I've found too. They burrow right into your buds and rot them out from the inside. They're everywhere around here at this time of year. Luckily the plants closer to the non cannabis flowers are fine as their companion plants attract bees and birds so they tend to take care of the caterpillars, other wise I'm out there a couple times a day picking them off...

Rastafarout

Premium user
Yeah they're the green ones and there's a couple black ones I've found too. They burrow right into your buds and rot them out from the inside. They're everywhere around here at this time of year. Luckily the plants closer to the non cannabis flowers are fine as their companion plants attract bees and birds so they tend to take care of the caterpillars, other wise I'm out there a couple times a day picking them off...
Bro grab some netting it’s cheap , black is better less visible, set it up right .
Your positioning there is pretty easy off the Wood fence .. no caterpillars !

Outdoors is all about timing get that wrong and it’s a shit show … mostly

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
not sure if they have it where you are brother ,
but this stuff is the ducks nuts for caterpillars ,
only need a few applications in flowering and bushka ,
no caterpillars are gonna bother you again ,
i used to use this stuff in large areas full of cannabis ,
and barely ever saw any damage from caterpillars ...

Brother Nature

not sure if they have it where you are brother ,
but this stuff is the ducks nuts for caterpillars ,
only need a few applications in flowering and bushka ,
no caterpillars are gonna bother you again ,
i used to use this stuff in large areas full of cannabis ,
and barely ever saw any damage from caterpillars ...

Thanks, yeah, I should be able to get that at the local hardware store (Bunnings for me lol). I'd been using pyretherins, to a little success so I'll give that one a shot. They're not too far off harvest now really, most are shorter flowering plants so should be ready within the net 4-5 weeks, not too sure if that's too late for netting or not. They do seem to be slowing down and I'm pretty vigilant at plucking them off when I see them. These were also just clones I didn't have room for inside and placed out late in the season, I didn't even really expect much to come of them so any harvest is good, but now they're looking pretty good I want to maximize what I've got..

Rastafarout

Premium user
The problem is the worm poop mixing with the munched bits speeds up/starts
the mould
try get that off same time . If there’s still eggs on the underside of the foliage they about .. another trick is to go hunt them at night when they come out , with a torch little feckers

Brother Nature

Yeah, one plant that was super early was the most infected, had a few eggs on it, but the other two I've seen them on don't have any eggs I can find. That particular plant had very large buds, while the others had been topped enough to keep them small so are a bit easier to pic them off manually. Have been shaking the poop off today where I can find it, but it actually doesn't look too bad this week. The c99 looks nearly ready too so she'll be next to come down...

Old Piney

So I grow I soaking wet NJ with the worst weather at harvest time. High humidity, heavy dew and rain .I'm finding that most of my gray mold problem is from caterpillars damage , to be specific cabbageworm. I use BT Caterpillar control, it works great. I keep a eye for the little white butterflies and then the tiny little worms crawling around on the buds and spray .You gotta get them before the dig in. One spray and then one more for a latter flush dose it. It's a biological bacteria and is certified for organic use. Not sure about this spinetoram I'm a bit leary I found this https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/09540105.2019.1650900

Sun&Soil

@bigsur51

This is generally speaking, because nothing is an always when it comes to growing plants. My plants grease up so heavily during mid July into September that most of the time our harsh cold wet Falls don't bother them, at least not the south facing sides. It will make them go dormant temporarily but as long as we get some 70's and full sun into the mix they will mature.

20231021_153035.jpg

20220930_190840.jpg

20221021_121619.jpg

20221109_162412.jpg

20221028_005838.jpg

Sun&Soil

I've got bong only and joint only weed aswell.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Thanks, yeah, I should be able to get that at the local hardware store (Bunnings for me lol). I'd been using pyretherins, to a little success so I'll give that one a shot. They're not too far off harvest now really, most are shorter flowering plants so should be ready within the net 4-5 weeks, not too sure if that's too late for netting or not. They do seem to be slowing down and I'm pretty vigilant at plucking them off when I see them. These were also just clones I didn't have room for inside and placed out late in the season, I didn't even really expect much to come of them so any harvest is good, but now they're looking pretty good I want to maximize what I've got..
yea i used pyrethrum and bt ,, neither were that great ,
but success has a slightly systemic quality , kills on contact ,
and later when they munch on your leaf ,
exactly whats needed as when most folks are spraying ,t he little bastards are buried in the buds hiding ..
i used to spray every 10 days , extra after rains ,
so its not that many times during the flowering peroid .

Old Piney

@bigsur51

This is generally speaking, because nothing is an always when it comes to growing plants. My plants grease up so heavily during mid July into September that most of the time our harsh cold wet Falls don't bother them, at least not the south facing sides. It will make them go dormant temporarily but as long as we get some 70's and full sun into the mix they will mature.

View attachment 18975792

View attachment 18975793

View attachment 18975794

View attachment 18975798

View attachment 18975797
That there is finger hash roll that shit of your finger and smoke it up

Brother Nature

yea i used pyrethrum and bt ,, neither were that great ,
but success has a slightly systemic quality , kills on contact ,
and later when they munch on your leaf ,
exactly whats needed as when most folks are spraying ,t he little bastards are buried in the buds hiding ..
i used to spray every 10 days , extra after rains ,
so its not that many times during the flowering peroid .
Sweet, will give it a go then, the plants aren't infested so shouldn't need too much. It is the ones in the buds that I'm most concerned about too.