What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Indoor vs. Outdoor

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
I'm becoming more of an indoor grower. Not to say I don't grow outdoors anymore but I've cut back on the numbers of outdoor plants. We can have up to 12 plants per household but I'm planning on only 4-5 outside this year.
Tired of fighting mold no matter what I grow outside. Bugs, bird shit, various airborne junk stuck to buds. The worry of and resulting hyper vigilance of potential thievery is tiring .
Where I live is known for it's fog. Come August it gets so foggy here things start dripping and you can watch it flow through open windows.
And never fail during the last two or three weeks , we get wind and rainstorms . Perfect mold conditions.
Indoor I dont have to worry about those factors. Everything is more under control.

CharlesU Farley

Nothing like smoking a bud that’s spent its life under the sun in the fresh air, preferably plugged into the ground.
A lot cheaper on the running costs too of course.
But not as controllable or reliable as indoor.
That is the very essence of this question and you succinctly laid out the major points.

Unfortunately, for those of us in U.S. Prohibition states, the choice has already been made. :)

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
And never fail during the last two or three weeks , we get wind and rainstorms . Perfect mold conditions.
Indoor I dont have to worry about those factors. Everything is more under control.
yes... by sept 20-25, buds are starting to fatten up, but the sun is rising later, so the buds are not drying as quick... i see a bit of mold, so i dip the clipper in some alcohol, and cut... next day more mold... by the end of sept, there is no bud left... how i wish i could get a decent harvest under the sun...

CharlesU Farley

Try to sell outdoor vs indoor. The market will tell you which is “better”.
Tell 'em the indoors is outdoors and the outdoors is indoors _and_ charge a little more for the real indoor.

Even though you'll sell much more of the "camouflaged" indoor at the higher outdoor prices, it won't tell you anything about which one is really "better".

But it will tell you everything you need to know about marketing cannabis.

I still think a blind A/B test with a wife who loves nothing more than to prove you wrong... is the ultimate test. :cool:

Hiddenjems

Tell 'em the indoors is outdoors and the outdoors is indoors _and_ charge a little more for the real indoor.

Even though you'll sell much more of the "camouflaged" indoor at the higher outdoor prices, it won't tell you anything about which one is really "better".

But it will tell you everything you need to know about marketing cannabis.

I still think a blind A/B test with a wife who loves nothing more than to prove you wrong... is the ultimate test. :cool:
Don’t label the products indoor or outdoor. Let the market decide which is better quality.

radioman

Here in Vermont, now recreational cannabis is legal with dispensaries - I've bought both. One of the shops I frequent - The co-owner has a growers license for indoors and outdoors. He sells the outdoor sun grown for $25 an eighth, $45 a quarter ounce with the indoor going for $40/75. Similar prices from the other grower's strains that they carry. I think the best deals are the small indoor buds for $90 -120 an ounce - when they have them. I've noticed that price doesn't always mean a better product either...
Anyway - I have picked up some $25 sun grown eighth's that were good. I will usually get a quarter of $75 indoor to make it an even $100. I like the outdoor grown for rollings joints...

With my own growing - I have often thought I could grow better weed indoors - simply because I could tend it more. I still grow my outside plants out in the forest - where it's harder to tend them. Last year We had a big flood and I lost half my plants. Now Cannabis is legal - my neighbors grow in their backyards - but I'm not a landowner...

I'd say with my outdoor sun grown on a regular year - I like extracting the kief, then making bubble hash and rosin with it. I hardly ever actually smoke any of it in the bud form. I would say that depending on the strain - The outdoor makes the best Hash products with the indoor producing the better bud for smoking. But that is just Me - I have had Black Market outside grown that is better being than sold by the shops or grown by Me...

mr.brunch

Veteran
They aren’t the number one consumed beer brand in the world by far.

But yes. To most normal people Budweiser tastes way better than the over hopped skunk piss guys with man buns choke down to show toughness.
I wouldn’t know much about beer, not being a drinker… it was just an example.
Effects of weed are pretty subjective, so what’s best is down to personal taste and what effects you like not what the commercial bud market says- at least from a smoker/personal growers perspective

As for guys with man buns, I don’t think I’ve met any but I don’t get out much :tiphat:

CharlesU Farley

They aren’t the number one consumed beer brand in the world by far.

But yes. To most normal people Budweiser tastes way better than the over hopped skunk piss guys with man buns choke down to show toughness.
Still can't believe PBR became trendy with the hipsters here in the U. S. Even as a teenager, I knew that shit sucked. ;)

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Hi all, was having a discussion with a few grower friends and a few smoker friends recently and the subject of indoor vs. outdoor weed came up. I found a decent consensus amongst the growers that we tended to prefer Outdoor bud over the indoor for effect, potency, and longevity, but the indoor in terms of smoking pleasure. By smoking pleasure I mean that the flavor and smoothness. The non growers all tended to believe that indoor bud was far superior to outdoors. Would be interesting to see what the good folks of IC think about this. :unsure:
everyones climate varies ,
i am sure outdoor weed grown at the right location ,
grown well , dry finish etc and then handled well ,
will beat the artificial product every time ...
but many are not in locations that are really cannabis friendly where climate is concerned...
this is where the discrepancy comes from ...

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
everyones climate varies ,
i am sure outdoor weed grown at the right location ,
grown well , dry finish etc and then handled well ,
will beat the artificial product every time ...
but many are not in locations that are really cannabis friendly where climate is concerned...
this is where the discrepancy comes from ...
well said....

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Indoor doesn’t get the trichomes damaged from wind and rain either. Not to mention you can get higher Dli indoors than almost anywhere on earth.
there is no such thing as an indoor plant ,
these things are made to grow outside and handle the conditions ,
some places never see rain during the flowering period ,
there is no beating sunshine , you cant replicate it indoors ...

what is dli btw ?

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
What are “proper growing conditions”?

For one, it’s never 1200ppm of co2 outside.
how about northern callie (without the forrest fires), my buddy lives high on a mountain in maui, - places like this will grow superior weed.... and as i said previously many will disagree... and thats a good thing.... for as they said in the godfather... afterall we'll not communists....

Sun&Soil

how about northern callie (without the forrest fires), my buddy lives high on a mountain in maui, - places like this will grow superior weed.... and as i said previously many will disagree... and thats a good thing.... for as they said in the godfather... afterall we'll not communists....
Western NY has great growing conditions between the fertile soils and the weather patterns that blow in off of the Great Lakes. It's a short season so you are limited to faster finishing plants, but that doesn't take away from the quality.

There is alot of truth to what you are saying, and as Prohibition slowly goes away, we will start to see more and more areas across the globe that will produce superior outdoor herb. Very similar to wine grapes. In fact I believe if you can grow superior wine grapes there is a pretty good chance of being able to grow top outdoor cannabis.

Latest posts

Latest posts